Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

"The road to Wigan Pier"
(George Orwell)

"Your date is not so past"
Robert Herrick

We visit what might be called the prototype of a "Sugar Daddy Club" in Wigan Athletic, and you may wonder (as I did) at the significance of the Herrick quotation taken from my little reference book. When the book came out in 1958 Wigan Athletic were plodding members of the Lancashire Combination, but they're included in the book because of their League history - they played in Division III (North) from 1921 to 1931 and then resigned in the October following the club's winding-up. Financial problems associated with professional football are nothing new ... anyway, fast forward to 1978 and Wigan were elected at their 32nd attempt to the League Division IV, replacing Southport - fast forward again to 1995 when local millionaire Dave Whelan bought the club with the aim of achieving top flight status. Among the 3 Spaniards he brought in was Roberto Martinez, who of course went on to play for us. Other players to have featured for both teams are Colin Methven (player of the year at Wigan on 2 occasions) and, more recently, Will Grigg (who was substituted in their most recent match). Managing both clubs we come across the name of Chris Hutchings, last heard of as assistant manager at Market Drayton Town.......

Wigan Athletic started the season by winning their first 3 games, but September has seen slightly less impressive form:-

9 Sep Shrewsbury Town (A) Lost 1-0
12 Sep Charlton Athletic (A) Won 0-3
16 Sep Bristol Rovers (H) Won 3-0
19 Sep Northampton Town (H) Won 1-0
23 Sep Peterborough United (A) Lost 3-2
26 Sep Plymouth Argyle (H) Won 1-0

Fascinating fact ......in all 10 of Athletic's League One games this season so far, Will Grigg has either been named as a substitute or has started and then been substituted. Make of that what you Will, Will.......

One thing of which we can be sure - there will be plenty of attacking play for our defence to contend with, as their most recent game against Plymouth Argyle shows - 23 shots, 7 on target. Apparently the Plymouth reserve keeper played a blinder, and was only beaten very late on in the game by a Wigan penalty (take note, Mr. Gillespie).

So, what can we expect or even hope for? We are still searching for that elusive "clean sheet", and if we can come away from Wigan without conceding that would indeed be quite an achievement. But you never know ..... so I will go for a smash and grab 0-1 away win, with Tyler Roberts on target.

UTS :D

PT
Site Addict

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Possibly my poorest away form here. Must have been over ten times between their two grounds starting with the riot in the early 80's and never seen us win. Even in promotion years under Coakley's and Sir Ray we struggled against these.

I'm due.

2-1 win to us. Jason Lillis and Jorge Leitao with late goals for us following an early Peter Skipper strike for them.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm afraid that I can't attend so good luck to everyone that attends.
Here's part of my report which I'll try to complete after the game..........

Pyhsio Direct football Proper manager PERIOD

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:08 pm

PT wrote:Possibly my poorest away form here. Must have been over ten times between their two grounds starting with the riot in the early 80's and never seen us win. Even in promotion years under Coakley's and Sir Ray we struggled against these.

I'm due.

2-1 win to us. Jason Lillis and Jorge Leitao with late goals for us following an early Peter Skipper strike for them.

I'd say Springfield Park was the low point of the Sir Ray season. We were unfathomably abject that day. You could count Adrian Viveash's poor performances in a Walsall shirt on literally one finger, but he was utter dross against Stuart Barlow.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:"The road to Wigan Pier"
(George Orwell)

"Your date is not so past"
Robert Herrick

We visit what might be called the prototype of a "Sugar Daddy Club" in Wigan Athletic, and you may wonder (as I did) at the significance of the Herrick quotation taken from my little reference book. When the book came out in 1958 Wigan Athletic were plodding members of the Lancashire Combination, but they're included in the book because of their League history - they played in Division III (North) from 1921 to 1931 and then resigned in the October following the club's winding-up. Financial problems associated with professional football are nothing new ... anyway, fast forward to 1978 and Wigan were elected at their 32nd attempt to the League Division IV, replacing Southport - fast forward again to 1995 when local millionaire Dave Whelan bought the club with the aim of achieving top flight status. Among the 3 Spaniards he brought in was Roberto Martinez, who of course went on to play for us. Other players to have featured for both teams are Colin Methven (player of the year at Wigan on 2 occasions) and, more recently, Will Grigg (who was substituted in their most recent match). Managing both clubs we come across the name of Chris Hutchings, last heard of as assistant manager at Market Drayton Town.......

Wigan Athletic started the season by winning their first 3 games, but September has seen slightly less impressive form:-

9 Sep Shrewsbury Town (A) Lost 1-0
12 Sep Charlton Athletic (A) Won 0-3
16 Sep Bristol Rovers (H) Won 3-0
19 Sep Northampton Town (H) Won 1-0
23 Sep Peterborough United (A) Lost 3-2
26 Sep Plymouth Argyle (H) Won 1-0

Fascinating fact ......in all 10 of Athletic's League One games this season so far, Will Grigg has either been named as a substitute or has started and then been substituted. Make of that what you Will, Will.......

One thing of which we can be sure - there will be plenty of attacking play for our defence to contend with, as their most recent game against Plymouth Argyle shows - 23 shots, 7 on target. Apparently the Plymouth reserve keeper played a blinder, and was only beaten very late on in the game by a Wigan penalty (take note, Mr. Gillespie).

So, what can we expect or even hope for? We are still searching for that elusive "clean sheet", and if we can come away from Wigan without conceding that would indeed be quite an achievement. But you never know ..... so I will go for a smash and grab 0-1 away win, with Tyler Roberts on target.

UTS :D

Now come on Welsh, you now he changed his name recently to Robson for the dimwit on UTS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope to see a decent turnout both at the 'Central' and indeed the match itself!
After Tuesdays effort here's hoping a few more feel inclined to make the short journey, but beware of CarparkM6, a nightmare at the best of times.....16-19 usually at a standstill no matter what time of day, so take extra time!
Result hard to predict, 2/3 weeks ago it would have seemed a rock solid heavy defeat, now I'm not so sure it will be that easy. :)
If we can hang on till the second half without conceding, we might give 'em a game. :wink:
I agree with Welsh's prediction, a late flick from Tyler sealing a 1-0 'against the run of play' travesty, and of course our first clean sheet, (with Gillespie admitted to Wiggin General with exhaustion!) temporarily holding up their inevitable top two 'money fuelled' finish.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I have a feeling we will get something from this.Whether it will be a draw or a win I am not too sure but I hope all who go have an enjoyable afternoon.At least the ref.is one of the better ones at our level....David Coote. UTS

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:04 pm

PT wrote:Possibly my poorest away form here. Must have been over ten times between their two grounds starting with the riot in the early 80's and never seen us win. Even in promotion years under Coakley's and Sir Ray we struggled against these.

I'm due.

I've got a slightly different and odd record at Wigan.

Seen three different teams there and Wigan haven't scored a goal in any of the games. Two of those were in the premier league and the other was the 0-0 two years back.

Have a really good mate who lives in Newton-Le-Willows now so will be meeting up with him pre match in the Berkeley and might tempt him into the away end again (he found the everywhere we go chant amusing last time). He's been to Wigan a few times and think most of those games have been 0-0 aswell!

Fear they might have a little too much, Nick Powell in their team at this level is cheat mode and I suspect Grigg will be given a start so that's a pretty good front two for this level and not sure the defence can cope against that sort of quality given the lack of clean sheets.

2-1. Should be an interesting one though. Looking forward to how Roberts + Ozzy do with space on the counter attacks.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am

SoccerHQ wrote:

I'm due.

I've got a slightly different and odd record at Wigan.

Seen three different teams there and Wigan haven't scored a goal in any of the games. Two of those were in the premier league and the other was the 0-0 two years back.

Have a really good mate who lives in Newton-Le-Willows now so will be meeting up with him pre match in the Berkeley and might tempt him into the away end again (he found the everywhere we go chant amusing last time). He's been to Wigan a few times and think most of those games have been 0-0 aswell!

Would take a 0-0 right now. We need to start keeping clean sheets.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 am

A draw tomorrow, a win against the sloppies and we will be on course for another season of topping up Jeff's pension and keeping Jon out of cold cemeteries and a bit closer to being mortgage free. I'll go 1-1.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

Cully wrote:I'm afraid that I can't attend so good luck to everyone that attends.

Why do you keep going on about periods? Weirdo

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:57 am

Think I'll be driving up to this one so there's absolutely now doubt we'll get a good dickin'. 3-0 Wigan.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 am

scott_powell wrote:
Cully wrote:I'm afraid that I can't attend so good luck to everyone that attends.

Probably because you don't understand English. Weirdo PERIOD

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 am

Is it still the grassy knoll at Springfield park?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am

Exile wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Probably because you don't understand English. Weirdo PERIOD

Well it was a joke, but alright then.

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 am

PERIOD isn't English. it's bloody American! It's proper name is FULL STOP.
Damn yanks.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 am

I'm getting a sneaking feeling we may be forced back into playing the 3 if Leahy's injury keeps him out of this game. I can see Morris playing left wing back like he did against Sheffield United last season, as our back up left back Callum Cockerill-Mollett is also injured, also may allow us to play both Dan Agyei and Tyler Roberts up top in a two to reward them, though that may leave us a little more vulnerable.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 am

Got a bit of a Bolton away last season feel to this in my head, hope it doesn't go the same way....!

Regardless, I'm going score draw - 2 - 2 Wilson and Roberts. Grigg will inevitably score too!

UTS.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:48 am

Am going Hull to London via Wigan.
Feel optimistic about this one. 2.1 win ... Roberts with both.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:38 pm

I'm due.

i remember the riot, i was standing on the corner and had just jumped onto the pitch to get into the wigan end when i saw kenny mower gesturing to us to get stuck in :lol: and alan buckley came over and bollocked him :lol: And in the vein of the Keizer Chiefs "I predict a riot" of goals that is :wink: i can see this one going to a 4-3 in either direction, hopefuly ours :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Today's starting XI:

Gillespie

Devlin
Guthrie
Wilson
Leahy

Chambers
Morris
Oztumer
Edwards

Ismail
Roberts

Substitutes: Roberts, Kinsella, Flanagan, Bakayoko, Donnellan, Kouhyar, Agyei

Will Grigg starts for the Latics......

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Elsewhere ... an early goal at Gigg Lane - Bury 0 MK Dons 1 (5 min)

Southend Utd 1 Blackpool 0 (7 min)

Peterborough Utd 1 Oxford Utd 0 (14 min)

Fleetwood Town 0 Charlton Athletic 1 (14 min)

Portsmouth 0 Oldham Athletic 1 (16 min) :shock:

Bradford City 1 Doncaster Rovers 0

Bristol Rovers 1 Plymouth Argyle 0 (22 min)

Wigan Athletic yellow card, 8 minutes.......... (Sam Morsy)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 pm

They keep on doing it .... Sloppies 1 Scunthorpe Utd 0 (24 min)

Fleetwood Town 1 Charlton Athletic 1 now

Blackburn Rovers 1 Gillingham 0

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Just when I was beginning to think we were matching this lot........

Wigan Athletic 1 Walsall 0 (30 min) :( :( .... and who else should score, but some guy called Will Grigg :roll:

Fleetwood Town 1 Charlton Athletic 2 (39 min)

Bradford City 2 Doncaster Rovers 0 (41 min)

We are 1-0 down at half-time .... time for JW to think about tactical substitutions????

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Somebody quoted it as saying

"Most one sided half of football they have ever seen"

Can anyone back this up? :shock:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Can't argue with halftime score. Our defence does not inspire me with confidence.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Micky Saddler wrote:Somebody quoted it as saying

The stats don't really bear that out ...... Shots - Wigan 5 Walsall 4

On target - Wigan 2 Walsall 1

Blocked shots - Wigan 2 Walsall 1

Dangerous attacks - Wigan 29 Walsall 20

Corners - Wigan 3 Walsall 3

Free kicks - Wigan 4 Walsall 8

Off-sides - Wigan 1 Walsall 0 (No Jackson.....)

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:59 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Micky Saddler wrote:Somebody quoted it as saying

The stats don't really bear that out ...... Shots - Wigan 5 Walsall 4

On target - Wigan 2 Walsall 1

Blocked shots - Wigan 2 Walsall 1

Dangerous attacks - Wigan 29 Walsall 20

Corners - Wigan 3 Walsall 3

Free kicks - Wigan 4 Walsall 8

Off-sides - Wigan 1 Walsall 0 (No Jackson.....)

Thanks Welsh.. Informative as ever.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:05 pm

If you're feeling brave, Betfair are currently quoting 17/1 for a Walsall win...... :mrgreen:

You'd have to be a bit brave - we have started the 2nd half with Liam Roberts in goal, as Mark Gillespie is injured....... :(

Walsall yellow card, 54 minutes (Wilson) .... leading to a Wigan penalty (Wilson foul on Grigg) ... and a score of 2-0 (Grigg's 2nd goal) :( :(

You can now get 101/1 at Betfair for a Walsall win - errrmmm, don't think I will.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 pm

I've lost count of how many penalties we have already conceded this season.
Something is very wrong!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Walsall's 2nd substitution, on 57 minutes - Agyei on for Ismail.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season