Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Wigan Athletic (A) 30th Sept, 3pm

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 am

saddlertd wrote:It's time to start playing 2 up front and either playing 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Oztumer as the 1. Alternatively, we need to play 4-4-2 with Oztumer wide left. Ozzie is a good player but he's not winning games for us on his own and so we need to play a formation that suits the team and not one built around Ozzie. Our strength is our forward players: we must start playing Roberts and Agyei together up front, and going at teams - this should take the pressure off our defence which is definitely our weak link.

Jesus Christ. Every time we lose. He's not winning games for us on his own ... except scoring in all the games we've won, like. Even scored the winner in two out of the three.

No he can't win the games by himself every week. That doesn't mean we just shove him wide left where he'd be completely ineffective. Maybe let's look at why he has to win games on his own first.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Oh right, back to the 'straight to the conference' bullshit talk from the usual suspect again.

:roll: :roll: FFS

Yep. Lose an away game against the team that will probably finish top two in league one? Fold the club now...

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:22 pm

These threads getting rather tiresome...every time we lose the Manager has to go....this is nonsense and if its true people were chanting Whitney out then they should be ashamed of themselves. When I used to go to away matches on a regular basis one of the joys was getting behind the team and showing your support..I remember a wet day in Oldham in the sixties when we lost 6-2 but we still had a great day out despite the weather and the result.
I posted on another thread Managers should only get sacked when they lose the dressing room . This is not the case here as our performance on Tuesday shows......our record at the minute stands at W3 D4 L4...not good but not too bad either. I also note we have played 5 of the top 8 so we have played teams in form. This season could go either way yet so I just suggest we give our support especially in the next 2 home games!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Walsallone wrote:These threads getting rather tiresome...every time we lose the Manager has to go....this is nonsense and if its true people were chanting Whitney out then they should be ashamed of themselves. When I used to go to away matches on a regular basis one of the joys was getting behind the team and showing your support..I remember a wet day in Oldham in the sixties when we lost 6-2 but we still had a great day out despite the weather and the result.
I posted on another thread Managers should only get sacked when they lose the dressing room . This is not the case here as our performance on Tuesday shows......our record at the minute stands at W3 D4 L4...not good but not too bad either. I also note we have played 5 of the top 8 so we have played teams in form. This season could go either way yet so I just suggest we give our support especially in the next 2 home games!!

No. It's Whitney Out from me even if we win.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Oh right, back to the 'straight to the conference' bullshit talk from the usual suspect again.

Now, Oh great master of the classic understatement, were you at that match yesterday? If you were what match were you watching? I feel my summing up is quite indicative of the 'performance'. Somehow, I expect that from the audible silence that emitted from the away end throughout the match, and unsympathetic, swift mass exodus at the end, was also an indicator of the feeling of the fans for that afternoons efforts.

Yes, we were the shooting practice opposition to obvious promotion candidates, but you get the gut feeling that he is sending the team out with the message "they are obviously better than you, just go out there and do the best you can"

This 'usual suspect' is getting just a little bit tired of the snide comments, get off your own high horse for a moment.
Your own bullshit is enough for most of us. Though please continue with the avatars! :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Walsallone wrote:These threads getting rather tiresome...every time we lose the Manager has to go....this is nonsense and if its true people were chanting Whitney out then they should be ashamed of themselves. When I used to go to away matches on a regular basis one of the joys was getting behind the team and showing your support..I remember a wet day in Oldham in the sixties when we lost 6-2 but we still had a great day out despite the weather and the result.

Agree with the good old days sentiment, like you, over the years I have seen us lose far more than we have won/drawn, but the fact and figures approach does not stack up too well, does it?
We have beaten the two bottom teams at home by the odd goal, and have one good away win. Not exactly boom time is it? The test of his ability to motivate the squad will be sorely tested against Salop, who have a proper manger.
And this time you have to admit the chant was a little larger in vociferous numbers? And when the chanting and singing youngsters are silenced by the utterly inept performance, it has to be bad. We are currently entrenched in the low bottom half, if we lose the derby will he still have everyone's full support? I would love us to beat 'em. let's hope so.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Now, Oh great master of the classic understatement, were you at that match yesterday? If you were what match were you watching? I feel my summing up is quite indicative of the 'performance'. Somehow, I expect that from the audible silence that emitted from the away end throughout the match, and unsympathetic, swift mass exodus at the end, was also an indicator of the feeling of the fans for that afternoons efforts.

Yes, we were the shooting practice opposition to obvious promotion candidates, but you get the gut feeling that he is sending the team out with the message "they are obviously better than you, just go out there and do the best you can"

This 'usual suspect' is getting just a little bit tired of the snide comments, get off your own high horse for a moment.
Your own bullshit is enough for most of us. Though please continue with the avatars! :wink:

Gibber Gibber. Can't wait for the world to implode over the environs of Wigan if we lose to Shrewsbury. :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Gibber Gibber. Can't wait for the world to implode over the environs of Wigan if we lose to Shrewsbury. :D

Notice you divert from AM's question as per normal.
Was you there yesterday ?
I would rather listen to views of someone in attendance than someone who wasn't.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

I would rather listen to views of someone in attendance than someone who wasn't.

Were you there? Long way from Naaarwitch.

I'd rather garner my own opinion based on the assessment of all the meaningful input, rather than slavishly churn out 'yow wore even there' crap.

What, so supporting Walsall now devolves down to who goes most often? I've been three times this season, as many as I possibly could, which is probably more than a number of the most opinionated posters on here. How many times have you been bothered to attend this season, just so we know who has more claim to their own opinion? :?:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

I'd rather garner my own opinion based on the assessment of all the meaningful input, rather than slavishly churn out 'yow wore even there' crap.

What, so supporting Walsall now devolves down to who goes most often? I've been three times this season, as many as I possibly could, which is probably more than a number of the most opinionated posters on here. How many times have you been bothered to attend this season, just so we know who has more claim to their own opinion? :?:

I don't go about saying "bullshit talk" to anyone whose view differs from mine, unlike yourself, and was actually there yesterday.
Each to their own I suppose seen as you seem to think you are knowledgeable about everything but are actually lacking in knowledge on everything.
Toodle pip now.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Yesterday was the same as so many other defeats under Whitney on the road. When will he learn that playing the same team until we lose isn't a sustainable or remotely positive way to go about things?

It could quite easily have been 4 or 5, if Wigan had been more clinical, 16 games without a clean sheet and 6 penalties conceded doesn't exactly point towards the "solid base" Whitney was looking to build.

I actually think there's a decent squad there, for example; Oztumer, T. Roberts, Agyei and Ismail are all excellent players in this division, I just don't think JW can find a way to get the most out of them. Sure we'll have the odd good week like Oxford, but disasters like Rotherham always seem to be just around the corner. The most telling thing is just how unenthusiastic the support was yesterday, simply because there was absolutely nothing on the pitch to get excited about. Wigan are a decent side, but are they that good that we have to practically defend on our penalty spot whilst hoofing it to Roberts and Oztumer? Maybe if we tried to pass the ball to their feet, instead of letting them challenge against the 6ft 5 Dan Burn, we might have had a shot on target before the 85 minute.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Agree with the good old days sentiment, like you, over the years I have seen us lose far more than we have won/drawn, but the fact and figures approach does not stack up too well, does it?
We have beaten the two bottom teams at home by the odd goal, and have one good away win. Not exactly boom time is it? The test of his ability to motivate the squad will be sorely tested against Salop, who have a proper manger.
And this time you have to admit the chant was a little larger in vociferous numbers? And when the chanting and singing youngsters are silenced by the utterly inept performance, it has to be bad. We are currently entrenched in the low bottom half, if we lose the derby will he still have everyone's full support? I would love us to beat 'em. let's hope so.

I am not having a go AM, just pointing out that you suggested that we had no chance of getting anything at all from the last 3 games and it was W1 D1 L1 and we got 4 points although it could easily have been 6. Although the Wigan performance may be disappointing I am staying positive after this decent run against 3 of the promotion hopefuls.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

I don't go about saying "bullshit talk" to anyone whose view differs from mine, unlike yourself, and was actually there yesterday.
Each to their own I suppose seen as you seem to think you are knowledgeable about everything but are actually lacking in knowledge on everything.
Toodle pip now.

Well, you fail to grasp that it was singularly directed towards the predictable utterances of Miserable Moaner, but I'm happy to include you under the insufferable bullshit umbrella at this stage. The rest of the incomprehensible knowledge outburst I'll allow to pass into the gutter of irrelevance.

I notice that you have failed to fully answer the reasonably straightforward query I made, something that you made quite clear got you upset when others did so. I suppose something may have distracted you.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Oxford away
Charlton home
Wigan away
Shrewsbury home

I would gave thought 4 points from those games is acceptable and we already have 4 points with a game to play

Wigan had already beaten 5 teams at home before us just a strong team at home like us

Looking forward to a good game on Saturday

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Cowshed wrote:Oxford away
Charlton home
Wigan away
Shrewsbury home

I would gave thought 4 points from those games is acceptable and we already have 4 points with a game to play

Wigan had already beaten 5 teams at home before us just a strong team at home like us

Looking forward to a good game on Saturday

Nailed on 12 points minimum. Anything less is absolutely disgusting apparently.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Toodle pip now.

Well, you fail to grasp that it was singularly directed towards the predictable utterances of Miserable Moaner, but I'm happy to include you under the insufferable bullshit umbrella at this stage. The rest of the incomprehensible knowledge outburst I'll allow to pass into the gutter of irrelevance.

I notice that you have failed to fully answer the reasonably straightforward query I made, something that you made quite clear got you upset when others did so. I suppose something may have distracted you.

In reply to your query I never once claimed that those who attended have had a higher opinion on the game, or anything else to do with the club for the matter, than those that didn't. I stated I would rather listen to views of people that were there than that of people who know everything from behind a keyboard (bit like yourself) waffling on at posters, claiming their posts are full of "bullshit" just because they don't post rosy posts.

If you don't agree with anything people post why not just ignore it and scroll on or is that a too mature thing for you to do ?

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:27 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
saddlertd wrote:It's time to start playing 2 up front and either playing 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 with Oztumer as the 1. Alternatively, we need to play 4-4-2 with Oztumer wide left. Ozzie is a good player but he's not winning games for us on his own and so we need to play a formation that suits the team and not one built around Ozzie. Our strength is our forward players: we must start playing Roberts and Agyei together up front, and going at teams - this should take the pressure off our defence which is definitely our weak link.

Jesus Christ. Every time we lose. He's not winning games for us on his own ... except scoring in all the games we've won, like. Even scored the winner in two out of the three.

No he can't win the games by himself every week. That doesn't mean we just shove him wide left where he'd be completely ineffective. Maybe let's look at why he has to win games on his own first.

We need to play Roberts and Agyei together upfront and so we have to fit in Oztumer in a formation that allows this. We are too lightweight with Roberts upfront on his own - we saw it against Charlton and yesterday against Wigan - I don't think even you can argue with that.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 pm

I was there.
We were crap.
But not quite as crap as at Bury and Rovrum.
So some sort of progress I guess.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 am

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Toodle pip now.

In reply to your query I never once claimed that those who attended have had a higher opinion on the game, or anything else to do with the club for the matter, than those that didn't. I stated I would rather listen to views of people that were there than that of people who know everything from behind a keyboard (bit like yourself) waffling on at posters, claiming their posts are full of "bullshit" just because they don't post rosy posts.

If you don't agree with anything people post why not just ignore it and scroll on or is that a too mature thing for you to do ?

What's this, a handbrake turn into maturity avenue? You started this when you failed to ignore and scroll, unable to prevent yourself posting your usual 'yow weren't there' line.

AM's input is a persistent and miserable journey into the worst case scenario, every single time, and I'll highlight that as often and as forcefully as I choose.

And having YOU assert that anyone should 'ignore it and scroll on' while alluding to waffling keyboard warriors is the very pinnacle of irony.

And again, how many times have you been this season? I wouldn't ask, but made a clear reference to me 'ignoring questions' so it seems pertinent.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:12 am

saddlertd wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

We need to play Roberts and Agyei together upfront and so we have to fit in Oztumer in a formation that allows this. We are too lightweight with Roberts upfront on his own - we saw it against Charlton and yesterday against Wigan - I don't think even you can argue with that.

We also need to play Oztumer, our out and out best player, in the position he is most effective, not wide left. That leaves you with 3-4-1-2, a formation Whitney has been flogged for because then you can't get wingers into the team.

It never ceases to amaze me how people just wipe away all previous form with Ozzie and concentrate on the last performance purely because he didn't win us a game all on his own. Victim of his own success.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:38 am

Tom_1992 wrote:Yesterday was the same as so many other defeats under Whitney on the road. When will he learn that playing the same team until we lose isn't a sustainable or remotely positive way to go about things?

It could quite easily have been 4 or 5, if Wigan had been more clinical, 16 games without a clean sheet and 6 penalties conceded doesn't exactly point towards the "solid base" Whitney was looking to build.

I actually think there's a decent squad there, for example; Oztumer, T. Roberts, Agyei and Ismail are all excellent players in this division, I just don't think JW can find a way to get the most out of them. Sure we'll have the odd good week like Oxford, but disasters like Rotherham always seem to be just around the corner. The most telling thing is just how unenthusiastic the support was yesterday, simply because there was absolutely nothing on the pitch to get excited about. Wigan are a decent side, but are they that good that we have to practically defend on our penalty spot whilst hoofing it to Roberts and Oztumer? Maybe if we tried to pass the ball to their feet, instead of letting them challenge against the 6ft 5 Dan Burn, we might have had a shot on target before the 85 minute.

Saigon? please note that it is not just me!!

I mentioned on another thread that a Roberts/Agyie combination up front was the answer to our current feeble attack
options, but it would appear only WE can see this, Whitney is unable to grasp this simple equation, no doubt he will continue to keep picking combinations that don't work until it is too late. We HAVE to be strong up front cus our defence will continue to let in goals, that should be obvious, even to Whitney.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:Yesterday was the same as so many other defeats under Whitney on the road. When will he learn that playing the same team until we lose isn't a sustainable or remotely positive way to go about things?

Saigon? please note that it is not just me!!

I mentioned on another thread that a Roberts/Agyie combination up front was the answer to our current feeble attack
options, but it would appear only WE can see this, Whitney is unable to grasp this simple equation, no doubt he will continue to keep picking combinations that don't work until it is too late. We HAVE to be strong up front cus our defence will continue to let in goals, that should be obvious, even to Whitney.

AM no-one else consistently delivers on going beyond exploring the finer details of the worst case scenario than your good self.

Have a free picture in recognition ... :D

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

Oztumer scores 5 in 12 this season ... "Put him out wide"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

UTTER CACK AND YES IM SHOUTING

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 am

Right, this is getting silly now.

Any position between 7th and 20th, JW sees out his contract.
Relegation, he won't. Chambers will probably end up as player-manager until they can find some more money.

Therefore, any result that contributes is either a success or a 'learning experience'.
I do hope he is learning a lot.

Incidentally for any position above 7th, Brentford can have him for an A4 envelope stuffed with fivers.
It'll be the best bit of business since the Irish FA gave us £60k for Steve Staunton.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Walsallone wrote:if its true people were chanting Whitney out then they should be ashamed of themselves.

For someone who usually posts considered and diplomatic posts, you've really let yourself down with this one Walsallone.

Disagree with those holding different opinions, fine. Even be quite vociferous if you wish. But, to say fellow Walsall fans should be ashamed for holding a different viewpoint to your own is a definite low point.

I have come to the conclusion that the continued employment of Whitney as our manager is damaging the short to medium term future of our club. I only ever want what, in my opinion, is best for the club. When that opinion is the club need to rid itself of the manager then I won't/can't pretend otherwise.

I'd much rather do that than sit in silence, with my thumb up my backside in some sort of "I'm ultra loyal by never calling for a mangers head" stance. It's those types that left idiots like Merson and Hutchings in jobs a lot longer than was needed.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:21 pm

People are free to hold any opinion that they wish to hold. My point TINNED was doing it at an away game when the team needs support is counter productive. I don't get to many away games these days but other than the odd "boo" at the end of a game I never heard chants of that sort when I did go to such matches. Even during the 5-1 drubbing at Gillingham when Lee was Manager most of the abuse he got was at the end of the game. I recognise times have changed and we live in a less deferential society and that is a good thing generally but to start chanting for the Managers head during a game I think is plain daft especially as only the week before we had outplayed a good team on their own turf.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Walsallone wrote:People are free to hold any opinion that they wish to hold. My point TINNED was doing it at an away game when the team needs support is counter productive. I don't get to many away games these days but other than the odd "boo" at the end of a game I never heard chants of that sort when I did go to such matches. Even during the 5-1 drubbing at Gillingham when Lee was Manager most of the abuse he got was at the end of the game. I recognise times have changed and we live in a less deferential society and that is a good thing generally but to start chanting for the Managers head during a game I think is plain daft especially as only the week before we had outplayed a good team on their own turf.

Don't worry, Walsallone, the Whitney Out chanting on Saturday was almost as disinterested and feeble as the performance on the pitch.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Walsallone wrote:People are free to hold any opinion that they wish to hold. My point TINNED was doing it at an away game when the team needs support is counter productive. I don't get to many away games these days but other than the odd "boo" at the end of a game I never heard chants of that sort when I did go to such matches. Even during the 5-1 drubbing at Gillingham when Lee was Manager most of the abuse he got was at the end of the game. I recognise times have changed and we live in a less deferential society and that is a good thing generally but to start chanting for the Managers head during a game I think is plain daft especially as only the week before we had outplayed a good team on their own turf.

... and? We also lost to a 10 man Bristol. Oh, then we lost 5-1 to Rotherham a few weeks back. You're just willing to accept any old cack where as some of us don't. 1 or 2 good results do not erase previous results and performances.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm

W3 D4 L4.....not a good start but not the worst either SCOTT. I hope we can do better and we might as we have some good players but if you expect us to win every week you will continue to be disappointed.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season