Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Charlton Athletic (H) Tue Sept 26th, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Re: Charlton Athletic (H) Tue Sept 26th, 7.45pm

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Another entertaining open game and a useful point against a decent side

Tyler Roberts is such a natural finisher and Bradshaw has finally been replaced for the time being

Morris had a good game on the left and deserved a goal with a good shot first half

The tactical subs worked well credit the manager

Pleased their heads didn't drop at the end and they worked to maintain the home record

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Good point.

Video on Sky sports now - love watching the fans run back in after we score!! Don't leave early peeps!!

UTS Legend

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:Good point.

Video on Sky sports now - love watching the fans run back in after we score!! Don't leave early peeps!!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 2-charlton

Unfortunately, I can't view it - even using Tunnelbear.

**Working now. (I turned my phone off and on again...)

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Guest wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:Good point.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... 2-charlton

Unfortunately, I can't view it - even using Tunnelbear.

**Working now. (I turned my phone off and on again...)

Their 2nd wasn't too bad either.
Feel sorry for the steward after our 2nd. She just got shoved out the way :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Really entertaining game. Our defence at sixes and sevens for half an hour in the first half. We were lucky to go in at 1-1. But then we stormed out second half. Played some great stuff at times. To have lost would have been a travesty.

Thought Edwards had his best game for us and Morris should either play on the wing or not at all

The evening only slightly soured by about seven sets of roadworks on the M6 coming back.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:The one thing nobody can complain about is entertainment value. This team has exciting players in it that don't stop going until the last second. Leaky at the back but free scoring.

I think it's a good point IF we don't get thrashed at Wigan. That becomes a pretty big game now.

What lose at Wigan and get relegated? What's the big game thing about? Big stadium with lots of empty seats yes so maybe the players will think it's a home fixture. :wink:

No thinking more like if we lose that one it's one win in six with a couple of draws. If we draw/win we are unbeaten in 4. Plus Wigan will more than likely finish top two so it's a point we wouldn't necessarily be expected to gain.

There's a pretty big difference there. I don't know where you've got relegated from though?

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:15 am

A good nights entertainment and a fair result. All played well but a special mention for Joe Edwards he was everywhere and is surely a captain in waiting when Adam hangs his boots up.I now hope for a point at Wigan and that Shrewsbury stay undefeated until we beat them on the 7th.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:51 am

Absoloutly piss poor first 35 minutes or so... should have been three down

Super first 35 minutes of second half .... should have been three up

overall good entertainment.....

Wyrley Saddler 66
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:56 am

Charlton's divers ruined the game.

Ref was diabolical

Morris and Ismail were well below par (someone teach them to run into space off the ball)

Still unsure about Gillespie and Guthrie

Wilson had worst game so far in a Walsall shirt.

Chambers and Edwards were great

Overall a good game

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 am

It just shows how opinions differ...I thought Gillespie had a good game...the save from Magennis was outstanding and after the first 30 minutes I thought the back 4 did well. Maybe the change in formation with the wingers and full backs pushing on left us short at the back exposing our centre backs but once we had settled we were the better team by some distance. Agree about the referee who despite many years on the league list doesn't seem to understand the basics.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:24 am

I agree that Wilson wasnt as assured as usual and how Guthrie missed that free header I don't know.

But sometimes you just sit back and enjoy a fine game of football which is what last night was.

Looking forward to nipping up the road on Saturday.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 am

Adam Chambers had an 8. He was awesome.

Our expensively assembled defence is crud.

Gillespie made one outstanding save, and hopefully will learn from the goals. I remember Etheridge getting 'done' by a Holmes esq goal, but it didn't happen again. Ball to hand, not hand to ball. Doesn't look pretty but if it turns goals into corners, needs must.

Our reliance on loans is even greater this term to last.

A draw was fair.

League One togga is tremendous value for money.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am

Substituting Ismail for Kouhyar is the equivalent of being offered sex from Margot Robbie and turning it down for a blowjob from an oiled up Gemma Collins.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am

PT wrote:Really entertaining game. Our defence at sixes and sevens for half an hour in the first half. We were lucky to go in at 1-1. But then we stormed out second half. Played some great stuff at times. To have lost would have been a travesty.

Thought Edwards had his best game for us and Morris should either play on the wing or not at all

The evening only slightly soured by about seven sets of roadworks on the M6 coming back.

Yeah took us 3 hours from joining the M6 car park at 9.45 until home 12.30! Thought the governing bodies were going to stop this travesty happening, absolute disgrace!

A most entertaining game, though after 30 minutes or so it looked like Charlton were having a practice match against a pub team, it was a bit embarrassing, every pass was perfect, running off the ball was a joy to watch (if you were a Charlton supporter that is) . However they tired of toying with us, should have gone in 3-0 at least, but a brilliant flick from Roberts saw us go in level.
Second half saddlers do it again, and we ran the show, should have won by a country mile. But, a fabulous goal from them a couple of minutes from time saw many leave the stadium, they shouldn't, we got an equally great goal to level from Agyie a couple of minutes later.
Overall a fair result for both. However, we should try Roberts and Agyie up front together, they would take the league by storm (until January of course) we still won't get any clean sheets but my gosh, we would see some cracking goals, and that's what it's all about really...entertainment.
Just a point about Wolves town centre, the 'City' (haha) motto should be changed to 'out of darkness cometh more darkness' the only ethnic whites we saw were all in the Old Still utterly blathered!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Good report AM...glad you enjoyed the game. The M6 is a nightmare...my daughter is moving house on Saturday so no more lengthy trips to sunny Stockport for me!!!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Good game as everyone says.

First half hour we were being taken to the cleaners and couldn't have complained if we'd been 3 down.

Great comeback second half, bossed it for large spells. Was crestfallen when they scored so late on. What a way to secure a late point though! I jumped up to celebrate but, from where we were sitting, it looked like it had hit the stanchion behind the goal and bounced back into play. It wasn't until the players started celebrating that I was sure it had gone in.

The defence need some work, they can be very fragile at times. Gillespie has done nothing majorly wrong but for some reason does not fill me with confidence.

the ref was a complete numpty. I know I'm biased but why do we get a succession of refs that seem to think that every time an away team player hits the deck it must be a foul, yet our players can be almost assaulted and they look the other way?

Onto my first away game of the season at Wigan to see what is up with our away form (last Saturday not included).

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Great entertainment which deserved a bigger audience. I assume the fatality on the local rail network affected the gate. I too was "M6ixed" and erroneously notified by a belated road sign that J13 was closed when it wasn't. Oh well.
Edwards was my motm too - very energetic and skilful performance - now playing in his natural position.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Mike Vale wrote:Great entertainment which deserved a bigger audience. I assume the fatality on the local rail network affected the gate. I too was "M6ixed" and erroneously notified by a belated road sign that J13 was closed when it wasn't. Oh well.
Edwards was my motm too - very energetic and skilful performance - now playing in his natural position.

Don't think the rail fatality had an impact. We generally get lower crowds midweek these days especially when there is live football on the telly.

It is a shame because when I first started going, night games felt more special and often used to attract higher attendances ( often thanks to supporters of other local clubs coming down). Must have been a trick of the mind but it always seemed louder too.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm

tinned wrote:Good game as everyone says.

First half hour we were being taken to the cleaners and couldn't have complained if we'd been 3 down.

Great comeback second half, bossed it for large spells. Was crestfallen when they scored so late on. What a way to secure a late point though! I jumped up to celebrate but, from where we were sitting, it looked like it had hit the stanchion behind the goal and bounced back into play. It wasn't until the players started celebrating that I was sure it had gone in.

The defence need some work, they can be very fragile at times. Gillespie has done nothing majorly wrong but for some reason does not fill me with confidence.

the ref was a complete numpty. I know I'm biased but why do we get a succession of refs that seem to think that every time an away team player hits the deck it must be a foul, yet our players can be almost assaulted and they look the other way?

Onto my first away game of the season at Wigan to see what is up with our away form (last Saturday not included).

See you in the 'Central' pre match? Can't drink myself (driving) but would be good to see ya.
A good stiff drink might be the pre match order of the day, but as Wiggin struggled to get a late result against Plymouth last night, it might not be the mauling we all expected earlier on. Would love to see an Agyie/Robson pairing up front, by god they could get a few goals between 'em, but he will probably re-introduce baky or Jackson, shame. Must admit that on last nights viewing, Robson appears to be well beyond our level.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:The one thing nobody can complain about is entertainment value. This team has exciting players in it that don't stop going until the last second. Leaky at the back but free scoring.

I think it's a good point IF we don't get thrashed at Wigan. That becomes a pretty big game now.

What lose at Wigan and get relegated? What's the big game thing about? Big stadium with lots of empty seats yes so maybe the players will think it's a home fixture. :wink:

No thinking more like if we lose that one it's one win in six with a couple of draws. If we draw/win we are unbeaten in 4. Plus Wigan will more than likely finish top two so it's a point we wouldn't necessarily be expected to gain.

There's a pretty big difference there. I don't know where you've got relegated from though?

Wigan will most likely get automatic promotion this season like last time so 80 + which means they'll be beating plenty of teams home and away.

A loss is expected then although if the team plays well and can concentrate in defence for 90 minutes a point is realistic given they struggled to beat Plymouth last night.

I just don't see it as a big game in the season though, it's not like two years ago going toe-to-toe with them.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

See you in the 'Central' pre match? Can't drink myself (driving) but would be good to see ya.
A good stiff drink might be the pre match order of the day, but as Wiggin struggled to get a late result against Plymouth last night, it might not be the mauling we all expected earlier on. Would love to see an Agyie/Robson pairing up front, by god they could get a few goals between 'em, but he will probably re-introduce baky or Jackson, shame. Must admit that on last nights viewing, Robson appears to be well beyond our level.

Another recent signing? :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Another recent signing? :mrgreen:

Long, 18 hour day yesterday, sorry, should read 'Roberts', of course....just seeing such a class player up front for dear old Worsul tends to confuse a tired old befuddled head!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:

Hoping to make the "Central". Is that the real ale boozer near the train station? Was told about it last night. Driving myself, not sure what time I'll manage to leave home. Is there any decent parking nearby?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 pm

tinned wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Hoping to make the "Central". Is that the real ale boozer near the train station? Was told about it last night. Driving myself, not sure what time I'll manage to leave home. Is there any decent parking nearby?

Yes, absolutely you are within spitting distance of the Railway Station car park (just round the corner), one low price for all day parking at weekends as a bonus!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

Wigan will most likely get automatic promotion this season like last time so 80 + which means they'll be beating plenty of teams home and away.

A loss is expected then although if the team plays well and can concentrate in defence for 90 minutes a point is realistic given they struggled to beat Plymouth last night.

I just don't see it as a big game in the season though, it's not like two years ago going toe-to-toe with them.

You've just given the exact reason it is a big game, that and our form is ok but not amazing going into this one. Say we win or draw, we would be unbeaten in 4 playing 4 teams tipped for top half or better this season. Say we lose, that's three loses and 2 draws in 6. not pretty reading and going into a local derby with the top of the league club. There's a massive contextual difference between the two.

Add to that if you can take points away from the teams you are not expected to you will probably be at least safe and probably push for top half yourself, then it's important in that respect too.

Just because it's not a promotion six pointer it doesn't mean this isn't an important game.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season