Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oxford United (A) Sept 23rd, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Oxford United (A) Sept 23rd, 3pm

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:04 am

More results like this please Mr Whitney.

UTS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 am

Good performance and a deserved 3 points.

Still look a little suspect at the back and a better attacking side would have put a couple past us

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Good result and I'll say it again , this squad is decent and should have ambitions of finishing a lot higher than mid table.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:22 pm

An away win at last and well deserved no fluke result.

Now that we have got rid of that hoodoo let's go for a clean sheet.

Credit due to Whitney for changing team and going 4 at back right line up for this game.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:35 pm

saddla wrote:A great effort from the whole team today.
Well deserved win. Whoever writes the stats can't have been at the same game that I was.
We should have gone in 3-0 up at half time. Oz was guilty of missing a couple of simple chances.
Second half I was dreading the turn around but we carried on as before and Oxford had no answer to us as Roberts added a second.
It got a bit nervy after they got their pen and they really pressurised us but we held firm.
One lesson to be learned from today's game if we didn't know it already is that AM knows FA about football. Even his beloved Wigan got beat by Posh (who he was claiming we should have beat easliy at home)

Where does someone like you get your ideas? Beloved Wigan? What planet are you on? How dare you! :cry: I will be there next week hoping to beat the shite out of 'em!! Yes I live in the Wigan metro, and yes they will win the League without doubt, but MY beloved Wigan? You need to calm down. And incidentally, I think I should know a little about footy, I have been a Ref, and have faced up to the wrath of White Supremesists v Islamic Athletic on many occasions, as the man in black trying to separate 'em, need I say more? So cut me some slack matey boy!

I would bet my pension that I have supported my Walsall with more verve and vigour in my lifetime than you will ever manage.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddla wrote:A great effort from the whole team today.
Well deserved win. Whoever writes the stats can't have been at the same game that I was.
We should have gone in 3-0 up at half time. Oz was guilty of missing a couple of simple chances.
Second half I was dreading the turn around but we carried on as before and Oxford had no answer to us as Roberts added a second.
It got a bit nervy after they got their pen and they really pressurised us but we held firm.
One lesson to be learned from today's game if we didn't know it already is that AM knows FA about football. Even his beloved Wigan got beat by Posh (who he was claiming we should have beat easliy at home)

Where does someone like you get your ideas? Beloved Wigan? What planet are you on? How dare you! :cry: I will be there next week hoping to beat the shite out of 'em!! Yes I live in the Wigan metro, and yes they will win the League without doubt, but MY beloved Wigan? You need to calm down. And incidentally, I think I should know a little about footy, I have been a Ref, and have faced up to the wrath of White Supremesists v Islamic Athletic on many occasions, as the man in black trying to separate 'em, need I say more? So cut me some slack matey boy!

I would bet my pension that I have supported my Walsall with more verve and vigour in my lifetime than you will ever manage.

I naturally assumed you were a Wigan supporter AM, after all you keep telling us how the saddlers are going to get hammered when we play up there. You're even telling us in this post how they're going to win the league. Only a supporter would go on like this.
I've come up against more than a few Sunday morning refs to know that my grannie knew more about football than most of those power mad idiots.

I think you would lose your pension too.

But of course all this is tongue in cheek, just like you claim your posts to be AM. :roll:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:59 pm

In fairness he was constantly saying it two years ago and despite a slow start they did comfortably win league one.

My only issue with AM is the near heart attacks he seems to have when the stats say after 20 minutes that shots at goal are Oxford 3-0 Walsall....even if the three Oxford shots are hitting the cars in the area behind the goal. :wink:

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Guest wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Ismail and Morris were very good against WBA but not too sure I would have gone with this team at Oxford however lets hope my previous prediction is right....

Me too, looks a little 'trial and error' lightweight up front, however, you never know, lets hope your prediction IS right after all, it's already 2 minutes after 3 and we aye losin!!!!

25 minutes gone and Oxford have 78% possession!!!!!!! Morris hits a shot that goes high and wide, now that's unusual!
Is there anybody out there? Or has everyone written off the season and gone out shopping with the missus?

I'd love to know where AM gets his stats from...Molineux?! :lol:

I checked at half time and possession was 48-54 in Walsall's favour and they had 5 shots on target to Oxford's 2. I did actually think even AM couldn't twist that to "them all over us like a rash" :wink:

Great 3 points anyway especially to get the away form monkey off the backs. Oxford have got a tidy manager and team this year so sounds promising to go down there and play well.

In fairness to AM the 78/22% possession was on the official site and on the BBC. By HT our possession was 45%, and increased after that.

Obviously, these stats and the live text can give a completely different picture. Here's our first goal, for example:

"Goal! Oxford United 0, Walsall 1. Erhun Oztumer (Walsall) from a free kick with a right footed shot to the centre of the goal."

Now compare that to the video above.

Chemical Ali lives!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 am

Exile wrote:Cracking morning in NZ. Clocks have gone forward. Sun is out. Bacon buttie for breakfast...

...and Walsall win away! :D

Clocks forward to 1957 ?

* Same joke every year I know :D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 am

Well done Jon, other than Rotherham and arguably Bury we've been right in it - genuinely believe we can beat anyone in this league.

He's built a decent squad here and they're playing well.

Up the Saddlers.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 pm

I presume Saddla that by "knowing FA about football", that you are meaning 'fairly average' rather than the guttersnipe language of the young folk of today?

Yes, Wigan will probably win the league, and if Blackburn buck their ideas up and join 'em I stand to win a tidy sum. But I know 'FA' about footy.
HOWEVER, I hate Wigan, recently the yoyo team from and to our league, and if we CAN beat them on Saturday, there will be no happier Walsall supporter alive, except perhaps my mate Belg (he also lives in Wiggin), who will dance cartwheels...he's younger than me!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
Exile wrote:Cracking morning in NZ. Clocks have gone forward. Sun is out. Bacon buttie for breakfast...

...and Walsall win away! :D

Clocks forward to 1957 ?

* Same joke every year I know :D

Your joke is old enough for 1957.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:I presume Saddla that by "knowing FA about football", that you are meaning 'fairly average' rather than the guttersnipe language of the young folk of today?

Yes, Wigan will probably win the league, and if Blackburn buck their ideas up and join 'em I stand to win a tidy sum. But I know 'FA' about footy.
HOWEVER, I hate Wigan, recently the yoyo team from and to our league, and if we CAN beat them on Saturday, there will be no happier Walsall supporter alive, except perhaps my mate Belg (he also lives in Wiggin), who will dance cartwheels...he's younger than me!

Looks increasingly like Shroosbury will win the league :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Or will the wheels come off? :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am

SWS11 wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:I presume Saddla that by "knowing FA about football", that you are meaning 'fairly average' rather than the guttersnipe language of the young folk of today?

Looks increasingly like Shroosbury will win the league :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

YES in a fortnights time perhaps? Can't see 'em hanging on when teams with the class like Charlton showed last night in the first 30 minutes will without doubt out play them eventually. They will slip down the league.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SWS11 wrote:

YES in a fortnights time perhaps? Can't see 'em hanging on when teams with the class like Charlton showed last night in the first 30 minutes will without doubt out play them eventually. They will slip down the league.

And verily, thus speaketh the man who predicteth the Saddlers of Walsall to be ensconced unto the conference unto the Nth generation.

Utter, utter cack.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SWS11 wrote:

And verily, thus speaketh the man who predicteth the Saddlers of Walsall to be ensconced unto the conference unto the Nth generation.

Utter, utter cack.

Enough about the majority of your posts, what do you really think ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:12 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SWS11 wrote:

Utter, utter cack.

Enough about the majority of your posts, what do you really think ?

Fast approaching 10,000 postings of variable quality. :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 pm

That's a matter of opinion :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:35 pm

swampysaddler wrote:That's a matter of opinion :wink:

:D :wink: