Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

W.B.A. U-21 (H) EFL Trophy, Sept 19th 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: W.B.A. U-21 (H) EFL Trophy, Sept 19th 7.45pm

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:36 pm

An entertaining game. The Albion youngsters fought hard and defended very well. Our experience told in the end and we were worthy winners. Ismail was announced as man of the match and was pushed close by Flanagan and Kouyhar in my opinion. Kinsella also had a fine game at full back. The 4-4-2 system was worth a try and it enabled us to play with wingers which gives us an option for future first team games.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Walsallone wrote:An entertaining game. The Albion youngsters fought hard and defended very well. Our experience told in the end and we were worthy winners. Ismail was announced as man of the match and was pushed close by Flanagan and Kouyhar in my opinion. Kinsella also had a fine game at full back. The 4-4-2 system was worth a try and it enabled us to play with wingers which gives us an option for future first team games.

Good stuff and interesting on the change in formation. We need to be adaptable and as we were playing a very very young side it was the perfect opportunity to try some stuff out.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Agreed PT and although the opposition was young it was well worth a try. Morris and Leahy struck up a useful partnership as did Kinsella and Ismail. I like 4-4-2 and it was like old times with wingers pulling the ball back from the byeline not always successfully though :( but it is something we could try in some Division 1 games.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Best result tonight is another low crowd, even against a local team. Every match is hopefully another nail in the current format of this competition.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Is it though? We were massively outvoted at the meeting called to discuss this and I don't think "gates" are an issue with some clubs. The prize money is worth competing for in their opinion. I don't like the competition but Walsall are my team and for £5 tonight was good entertainment.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Walsallone wrote:Is it though? We were massively outvoted at the meeting called to discuss this and I don't think "gates" are an issue with some clubs. The prize money is worth competing for in their opinion. I don't like the competition but Walsall are my team and for £5 tonight was good entertainment.

Hopefully it is - just over 3000 fans at three matches tonight shows what people think of it. I appreciate gates may not be everything but the whole thing is glorified reserve team football rather than a realistic chance for lower league teams to reach Wembley. Competition will either die or have to change in the future as all credibility has gone.

I'd never have a go at anyone who attends - personal choice n all that and as long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters I suppose - but I'd not be there even at the final should we get there.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Fair enough....I didn't go to the matches last season and I hoped the competition would be scrapped . One point in its favour is that it gave us the opportunity to try something different in a competitive game which was interesting to see but I respect your reasons for not going.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 am

Whitters wrote:
Exile wrote:1,055 there. Disappointed we broke the four figure barrier. Presume lots of bag ladies turned out.

Mr Negative - going for popularity with the masses as usual Exile?

Nope, voicing my opinion on this rubbish tournament, as did the club, who have consistently voted against the inclusion of Premier and Championship teams. Pisspoor turnouts help ensure the demise of this travesty. Glad we won? Of course I am. Just wish it was a proper game, not a manufactured competition against Albion's kids.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 am

Exile wrote:1,055 there. Disappointed we broke the four figure barrier. Presume lots of bag ladies turned out.

Maybe 150 baggies. There were lots of some young Wag type characters at the game & apparently someone called Bebe Rexla was in attendance, whoever she is.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am

She makes cigarette papers.

sirrammell

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 am

I don't like this competition but it is a good chance to see the wider squad in action.

Anyone know if the highlights can be viewed somewhere? Wouldn't mind seeing Flanagan's goal.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am

sirrammell wrote:I don't like this competition but it is a good chance to see the wider squad in action.

Anyone know if the highlights can be viewed somewhere? Wouldn't mind seeing Flanagan's goal.

The highlights are on iFollow. Unfortunately If you sign up today your subscription only lasts to the end of the season, instead of the 12 months that Saddlers World used to do, so it is even worse value than it was in August. I suppose they will be making reductions eventually

There were a lot of good points about going to that match. I found it a very enjoyable game and agree that it is good to see the rest of the squad in action. The crowd seemed to be just full of loyal football fans, with the brain dead having a day off. There was a very different atmosphere in the crowd compared to being in the middle of our away supporters. Which was nice.

On the positives - Zeli Ismail is a proper third division winger, if we ever need one. Bakayoko worked hard and showed he is the best forward at the club. Kieron Morris seemed to enjoy playing wide left, and even had a shot on target. Mitch Candlin's brief appearance confirmed he is making progress. Flanagan scored a decent first goal for the club on his 35th appearance (18th start).

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am

Harry wrote:
sirrammell wrote:I don't like this competition but it is a good chance to see the wider squad in action.

The highlights are on iFollow. Unfortunately If you sign up today your subscription only lasts to the end of the season, instead of the 12 months that Saddlers World used to do, so it is even worse value than it was in August. I suppose they will be making reductions eventually

There were a lot of good points about going to that match. I found it a very enjoyable game and agree that it is good to see the rest of the squad in action. The crowd seemed to be just full of loyal football fans, with the brain dead having a day off. There was a very different atmosphere in the crowd compared to being in the middle of our away supporters. Which was nice.

On the positives - Zeli Ismail is a proper third division winger, if we ever need one. Bakayoko worked hard and showed he is the best forward at the club. Kieron Morris seemed to enjoy playing wide left, and even had a shot on target. Mitch Candlin's brief appearance confirmed he is making progress. Flanagan scored a decent first goal for the club on his 35th appearance (18th start).

So ladies and gentlemen. If you went Tuesday you are a loyal fan. If you didn't you are braindead.

:roll:

sirrammell

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

Harry wrote:

I have purchased a couple of matches on a single basis (because my schedule means I can only watch 2/3rds of the games). Don't quite think the checkatrade is worth the €130 sign up fee.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

sirrammell wrote:
Harry wrote:

I have purchased a couple of matches on a single basis (because my schedule means I can only watch 2/3rds of the games). Don't quite think the checkatrade is worth the €130 sign up fee.

You're not a loyal fan then.

sirrammell

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am

scott_powell wrote:
sirrammell wrote:
Harry wrote:

Very true...I only watch the first team games these days.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 am

scott_powell wrote:
sirrammell wrote:
Harry wrote:

You're still fond of sticking your nose in to voice your opinion, though...

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 am

It's a forum Exile, isn't that the idea? :wink:

Do you agree with Harry's statement hinting that those who attended are loyal and those who didn't are braindead? I didn't attend so I feel I have the right of reply.
Last edited by scott_powell on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

Although a scab I quite enjoyed it.... pretty lightweight football from the bagladies but it was overall men against boys... although we ended up with a few boys of our own on the pitch at the end!

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 am

kshammer wrote:........................................ a realistic chance for lower league teams to reach Wembley.
[/quote]

Is Wembley special anymore ?

The world and his wife have played there .
Last edited by Kevlar on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 am

scott_powell wrote:It's a forum Exile, isn't that the idea? :wink:

Do you agree with Harry's statement hinting that those who attended are loyal and those who didn't are braindead? I didn't attend so I feel I have the right of reply.

I'm not sure that's what Harry was saying.... I think he was saying that those who went were loyal (feels true) and that those who didn't go it seemed as if the brain-dead were amongst them, not that all that didn't go weren't loyal.

Not an attack just an observation.

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Just watched the goals. Three very good goals. Reece takes his well and KM shows flashes of his early career in setting up the last two.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:It's a forum Exile, isn't that the idea? :wink:

I'm not sure that's what Harry was saying.... I think he was saying that those who went were loyal (feels true) and that those who didn't go it seemed as if the brain-dead were amongst them, not that all that didn't go weren't loyal.

He's quite clearly having a dig, it's not rocket science really :lol:

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Morris played on the left. Why has it taken us 2 seasons to work that out?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 pm

I don't think I mentioned Wembley KEVLAR....that was not my motivation for going to the match...indeed as I pointed out I don't like the competition but I do support my team.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I don't know what other posters agenda is, all I know it was an entertaining and pleasant evening for not a lot of money.

It was good to see our fringe players having a go, it was good to see the WBA youngsters compete and the lad who scored for them looks very useful indeed.

But is was also good to see a supportive crowd, I didn't hear any complaints about about Whitney or any boos at half time even though we went 1-0 down. Morris did well and probably got the loudest applause when he came off and some of the ball movement was excellent albeit against young but decent opponents .

The bottom line is that for all the boycotts it went ahead anyway and the only people who missed out were the ones who chose not to attend. I am not judging anybody at all and I respect peoples freedom of choice, I am just stating my opinion of the facts.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:I'm not sure that's what Harry was saying.... I think he was saying that those who went were loyal (feels true) and that those who didn't go it seemed as if the brain-dead were amongst them, not that all that didn't go weren't loyal.

I found the atmosphere last night very pleasant because all the fans seemed very positive about our performance even when we went a goal behind. My impression was that there was a preponderance of very loyal supporters, but of course that does not mean that everyone who did not go last night is not loyal. How on earth could anyone think I meant that? It makes no sense.

The "brain dead fans" who did not seem to be there last night, are those who make the atmosphere unpleasant. Of course that does not mean that everyone who did not go last night is brain dead or spoils the atmosphere. A real failure in comprehension and logic is needed for someone to think that.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Harry wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:I'm not sure that's what Harry was saying.... I think he was saying that those who went were loyal (feels true) and that those who didn't go it seemed as if the brain-dead were amongst them, not that all that didn't go weren't loyal.

I found the atmosphere last night very pleasant because all the fans seemed very positive about our performance even when we went a goal behind. My impression was that there was a preponderance of very loyal supporters, but of course that does not mean that everyone who did not go last night is not loyal. How on earth could anyone think I meant that? It makes no sense.

The "brain dead fans" who did not seem to be there last night, are those who make the atmosphere unpleasant. Of course that does not mean that everyone who did not go last night is brain dead or spoils the atmosphere. A real failure in comprehension and logic is needed for someone to think that.

Okay Harry, sure. Clap clap clap.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Harry wrote:

You clearly stated above that those not in attendance last night were "Braindead".
Thanks for that you prick.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:50 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Harry wrote:

You clearly stated above that those not in attendance last night were "Braindead".
Thanks for that you prick.

Even after Harry has explained, what he's ultimately saying is you're not allowed to be annoyed at a football match. If you are, you are braindead. Cheers for that Harry.

(he quite clearly called those there loyal and those who weren't braindead)

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season