Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) Sept 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Peterborough United (H) Sept 16th, 3pm

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm

That's the bar and the post now

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:27 pm

killers left foot wrote:3-2 to us and cracks papered over for another week this is starting to remind me of the merson days :lol:

Ridiculous as it may seem, it looks like another slender victory to 'paper over the cracks' so that Mr. Motivator with a squad of 9 defenders for a home match gets a stay of execution (for the time being).

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
killers left foot wrote:3-2 to us and cracks papered over for another week this is starting to remind me of the merson days :lol:

Ridiculous as it may seem, it looks like another slender victory to 'paper over the cracks' so that Mr. Motivator with a squad of 9 defenders for a home match gets a stay of execution (for the time being).

So we are already writing this off before it's even happened yet, just in case?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Never mind you got your wish anyway AM. 1-1

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Never mind you got your wish anyway AM. 1-1

Not my wish, I want us to win matches, but with slap head in charge it never seems to happen.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Posh's first goal in 500 + minutes at Walsall.

Fear they'll go onto win in the last 10 now.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Posh's first goal in 500 + minutes at Walsall.

Fear they'll go onto win in the last 10 now.

Hope not but it looks like they'm running us ragged at the moment, hang on for that point me babbies, we need it!

Is it me or has he made some appalling subs? 21 shots from Posh? I thought this was a defensive set up?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:53 pm

1-1 FT

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:54 pm

One all. Not bad considering half this place wishes we were run exactly like them. Hit the bar and the post but they seem to have had the best of it and I reckon they are going up this year. Whitneys done just enough to keep him in a job for a week.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:55 pm

1-1 it is then, could have been worse according to the stats! So a good point in what will be a mediocre season (again).

Gald that I put a hex on Fleetwood's coach as I passed it yesterday! :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:56 pm

Not the worst point in the world but more tough games to come in the next two weeks.

9 points from 8 games. This season is going to be tight.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 pm

El_Nombre wrote:One all. Not bad considering half this place wishes we were run exactly like them. Hit the bar and the post but they seem to have had the best of it and I reckon they are going up this year. Whitneys done just enough to keep him in a job for a week.

Which is a shame, but would you believe that 17 of UTS'ers want to retain him at the helm!!!!! :evil:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:58 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:1-1 it is then, could have been worse according to the stats! So a good point in what will be a mediocre season (again).

Gald that I put a hex on Fleetwood's coach as I passed it yesterday! :lol:

How are Bury All Stars doing these days AM? :wink:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:One all. Not bad considering half this place wishes we were run exactly like them. Hit the bar and the post but they seem to have had the best of it and I reckon they are going up this year. Whitneys done just enough to keep him in a job for a week.

Which is a shame, but would you believe that 17 of UTS'ers want to retain him at the helm!!!!! :evil:

Yep can't fathom it. He was gone after Barnsley for me.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

El_Nombre wrote:That's the bar and the post now

And theirs went in off the bar. (According to the report on saddlers.co.uk.) They did have one disallowed in the 79min.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Set up not to lose so he can keep his job, one up front at home and like for like subs again. How this physio keeps his job is beyond me.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Very good point IMO. Only gonna be one winner if there was to be one. Zeli could've won if at the end.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:36 pm

There was a lot of relief for all connected with the club today that another defeat was avoided you could sense this. Otherwise some difficult decisions may have had to be made.

Curvelier, ozthumer and T Roberts is a lot of quality at this level to bring off and I was disappointed at that decision but as I mention above the point was vital and so we went for less quality but fresher legs and Baka to try and make it stick in their half instead of having them coming straight back at us. I think this was an example of Whitney thinking from a physical angle rather than a footballing one.

When you consider how Whitney found himself as a professional club manager at this level you have to say he is a lucky man and whilst I have to admit his decisions lean towards a physical rather than footballing nature, and sometimes this can be disappointing, like today, it is useful to have a lucky manager.

Got to say though I thought I had my money's worth today and it was a good game to watch.

Sweet for Ozzy to score at their end and get motm against his old club can't understand why they didn't match our offer

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Fair. Could have won, could have lost. Great couple of strikes from Oztumer, very unlucky with the first one. No clean sheet yet this season tells its own story.

Gillespie worries me, Flo looks like he's running in mud and I'm not quite sure has happened to Morris.

On the plus side, all the loanees played well.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:22 pm

PT wrote:

And I got back to my car without breaking my neck on the treacherous footpaths and roads near the ground.

mel58
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Glad we got a point and, as much as they had lots of possession and bucket loads of corners we also had plenty of opportunities to score which we weren't able to take. I understand that their disallowed goal should have stood but, for me, that is the rub of the green. I've seen too many occasions where we've been robbed of what we should have got to feel guilty or embarrassed about it.
Whitney said we had moved on from the Rotherham Rout. We clearly hadn't as he felt the need to resort to playing one up front at home. We have done well at home by having crosses coming in from the wings and strikers putting them in the net. I can't understand the need to change that and resort to what seemed to me to be a purely defensive approach to ensure we didn't lose rather than actually be positive and try and win the game. Roberts will be worn out after his six months with us if he has to play as the lone ranger throughout the rest of his stay with us. All of our subs seemed to be made on the basis that the players were tired and needed to be replaced. They seem to be no change in Tactics at all and it was just a case of getting different people to do the same job over a 90 minute period. There was no suggestion but we were looking at the match from a tactical point of view and trying to overcome the opposition, it just seem to be the case that we were trying to avoid defeat and holding on to what we had.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:05 pm

Highlights: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... terborough

I found that a very depressing performance; far worse that last week at Bristol.

Whitney sent out a packed defence, with three centre halves, and two full backs who were instructed to play as defenders rather than wing backs. Chambers, Edwards and Cuvelier were also mainly defending, leaving just Oztumer and Tyler Roberts to try to be an attacking force. Roberts looks a decent young player, but he cannot play as lone striker.

If you pause the highlights at 1:27 you will see that we were very lucky that the officials did us a favour by disallowing a good goal that would have given Peterborough the three points that they deserved.

Does Whitney really think that his team is so inferior to Peterborough that he has to adopt desperation defensive tactics? If he has so little ambition what is the point of the fans bothering to turn up?

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 pm

For those overseas:

https://youtu.be/llqKmUIE3HQ

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Absolute shite! A scared, cowardly performance from a manager that has run out of ideas and is desperate to do anything to hold on to his job. We were hanging on at he end and sitting increasingly deep which just invited them on. The defending for their second "goal" was non existent.

Just get rid now while this season can still be saved.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:18 pm

PT wrote:Fair. Could have won, could have lost. Great couple of strikes from Oztumer, very unlucky with the first one. No clean sheet yet this season tells its own story.

Gillespie worries me, Flo looks like he's running in mud and I'm not quite sure has happened to Morris.

Gillespie worries me too. He doesn't concede bad goals but he doesn't keep clean sheets. You can't blame him for today's goal but Etheridge and O'Donnell would probably have saved it.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 pm

https://ibb.co/cjGj65

Well I'd be fuming if I were a Peterborough fan. Huge let off.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 am

tinned wrote:Absolute shite! A scared, cowardly performance from a manager that has run out of ideas and is desperate to do anything to hold on to his job. We were hanging on at he end and sitting increasingly deep which just invited them on. The defending for their second "goal" was non existent.

agree absolute garbage we never went out to win that game.whitney out

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 am

Just seen the highlights - their guy was 2 or 3 yards ONSIDE for the disallowed goal. Very fortunate.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 am

killers left foot wrote:
tinned wrote:Absolute shite! A scared, cowardly performance from a manager that has run out of ideas and is desperate to do anything to hold on to his job. We were hanging on at he end and sitting increasingly deep which just invited them on. The defending for their second "goal" was non existent.

agree absolute garbage we never went out to win that game.whitney out

Hitting the post at one nil up? Must have been some attacking to win that corner anyway.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season