Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) Sept 16th, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Peterborough United (H) Sept 16th, 3pm

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:06 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
killers left foot wrote:
tinned wrote:Absolute shite! A scared, cowardly performance from a manager that has run out of ideas and is desperate to do anything to hold on to his job. We were hanging on at he end and sitting increasingly deep which just invited them on. The defending for their second "goal" was non existent.

Just get rid now while this season can still be saved.
agree absolute garbage we never went out to win that game.whitney out

Hitting the post at one nil up? Must have been some attacking to win that corner anyway.

And hitting the bar at nil nil. They did well for the chances they created considering they didn't go out to win the game...

I love how not playing every single striker in your squad is seen as not trying to win the game. The one thing you can't argue with us this season is going out and trying to win a game. If anything we've been too aggressive and conceded on the counter.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:30 am

I think we went out to win the game but as soon as they equalised it became about not losing the game. In that last period of the game we were taking our time over everything and on a couple of occasions we actually threw the ball over the wall to waste time. Posh on the other hand were keen to get on with everything.

In other words - everyone is right. :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Supporting the Saddlers now, you have to get your pleasure from something other than what takes place on the pitch.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:31 pm

PT wrote:I think we went out to win the game but as soon as they equalised it became about not losing the game. In that last period of the game we were taking our time over everything and on a couple of occasions we actually threw the ball over the wall to waste time. Posh on the other hand were keen to get on with everything.

I do not think that you are right. :)

Whitney set out not to lose, rather than win the game. You should be able to see that from the team selection and tactics, but if not that does not persuade you then Whitney's comments after the match are conclusive. He says that he set out to stop Peterborough from playing and that he was very pleased with the performance. I think that a home draw is two points lost, but for Whitney it was a point gained. But we were not up against a team from the Premier League that was a class above us.

In fact Peterborough were nothing special and a half decent Walsall team should be able to beat them at home. They had 20 shots that were off target, they frequently gave the ball away, and their goalkeeper was dodgy, Despite our ultra defensive tactics we were often given the ball and had quite a bit of possession, unfortunately Tyler Roberts as a lone striker made life too easy for their defence.

This was a match in which the players cannot be blamed - only Roberts had a bad match and that was purely because he was given a job that he simply cannot do.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:22 pm

PT wrote:I think we went out to win the game but as soon as they equalised it became about not losing the game. In that last period of the game we were taking our time over everything and on a couple of occasions we actually threw the ball over the wall to waste time. Posh on the other hand were keen to get on with everything.

I don't think there's too much wrong with that personally. The home form is strong so you do all you can to keep the "momentum" going even if it needs grinding out a point.

Two poor away defeats, manager coming under pressure again, many managers in that situation would've done the same as Whitney particularly as Posh are automatic promotion contenders this season.

Be grateful for the point, it might be the only one for the next few weeks.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Harry wrote:

I do not think that you are right. :)

Whitney set out not to lose, rather than win the game. You should be able to see that from the team selection and tactics, but if not that does not persuade you then Whitney's comments after the match are conclusive. He says that he set out to stop Peterborough from playing and that he was very pleased with the performance. I think that a home draw is two points lost, but for Whitney it was a point gained. But we were not up against a team from the Premier League that was a class above us.

In fact Peterborough were nothing special and a half decent Walsall team should be able to beat them at home. They had 20 shots that were off target, they frequently gave the ball away, and their goalkeeper was dodgy, Despite our ultra defensive tactics we were often given the ball and had quite a bit of possession, unfortunately Tyler Roberts as a lone striker made life too easy for their defence.

This was a match in which the players cannot be blamed - only Roberts had a bad match and that was purely because he was given a job that he simply cannot do.

Seriously, what the chuff? We have just come off a 5-1 tanking at Rotherham. But naturally you want him to go gung-ho and throw caution to the wind and are disappointed with containing what is clearly a dangerous side in 2nd place. That's 2 points dropped?

In fact Peterborough were nothing special and a half decent Walsall team should be able to beat them at home.

And Posh just rock up and look average - have you possibly considered that's because how Walsall played them? But apparently a Walsall side has some kind of divine right to consistently beat a Posh team.

Weird. I'm sure people think football's a computer game. :?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Having read last weeks posts on this and our away games at Bristol and Rotherham I would offer the theory that 50% of posters on internet football websites are thick. :arrow: PERIOD

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:28 pm

we went out there not to lose its as simple as that just shocked fans think thats acceptable at home we have played well at home and these negative tactics yesterday could of broke our momentum as far as the home form goes.the man has no clue he used a formation at home he should use away because he is shitting himself over his job after tuesday nights shambles get him out he is potentially ruining a decent looking squad on paper with his clueless tactics.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:53 am

killers left foot wrote:we went out there not to lose its as simple as that just shocked fans think thats acceptable at home we have played well at home and these negative tactics yesterday could of broke our momentum as far as the home form goes.the man has no clue he used a formation at home he should use away because he is shitting himself over his job after tuesday nights shambles get him out he is potentially ruining a decent looking squad on paper with his clueless tactics.

If we'd played Gillingham et al, then yes. But we played second place Posh, off the back of a 5-1 reverse.

Think about that for a second, then also consider that the players aren't animated sprites zipping around a computer program, but a set of real people.

And ruining the squad he's actually assembled? :?

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 am

People on here seem to have confused "not to lose" and "to lose" and they are talking about a desire not to lose as if it's a bad thing. Ffs.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:44 am

Problem is with our terrible away form almost every home game becomes a must win fixture.

In hindsight 1-1 with a team who were sat top of the league is a good result , however with our previous 2 away games that's only 1 point taken from 9 whilst conceding 8.

Jon has to break his away duck and fast.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 am

Mazza01 wrote:Problem is with our terrible away form almost every home game becomes a must win fixture.

In hindsight 1-1 with a team who were sat top of the league is a good result , however with our previous 2 away games that's only 1 point taken from 9 whilst conceding 8.

Jon has to break his away duck and fast.

Yeah bring on the Blades or Forrest.....hang on a minute...wrong league...alright Port Vale....wrong league again....is there any team out there willing to let us win away from home ever again? Wigan perhaps? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:20 am

Whitney Out. Nothing more nothing less.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 am

Cully wrote:Having read last weeks posts on this and our away games at Bristol and Rotherham I would offer the theory that 50% of posters on internet football websites are thick. :arrow: PERIOD

What about the other 60%?

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Gripper wrote:People on here seem to have confused "not to lose" and "to lose" and they are talking about a desire not to lose as if it's a bad thing. Ffs.

Are you ignoring the obvious just to argue with other posters or has it really bypassed your brain?

Of course we ALL have a desire to not lose. However, there is a difference between that aim and entering the field of play with the sole intention of not losing. There was not one iota of an intention to win that game on Saturday. It was ALL about job survival.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:11 pm

tinned wrote:
Gripper wrote:People on here seem to have confused "not to lose" and "to lose" and they are talking about a desire not to lose as if it's a bad thing. Ffs.

Are you ignoring the obvious just to argue with other posters or has it really bypassed your brain?

Of course we ALL have a desire to not lose. However, there is a difference between that aim and entering the field of play with the sole intention of not losing. There was not one iota of an intention to win that game on Saturday. It was ALL about job survival.

Again, I'll point out the hitting the woodwork twice and Zeli having a chance to win at the end as examples of why this isn't the case. Hell, we went one nil up. How did we manage that if this was the case?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I go away to not so sunny Spain for a week and return to read the match reports. I wish I hadn't bothered.......we are doomed it seems!! Although not seeing the game I agree with SAIGON that after a 5-1 thrashing a point against Peterborough is acceptable. Having watched the extended highlights it could have been 3 if luck had gone our way especially the Donnellan header which would have made it 2-0. We have some really tough fixtures coming up so lets hope the lads show some real fight and surprise us all.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season