Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United (A) Tues 12 Sep, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Rotherham United (A) Tues 12 Sep, 7.45pm

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 am

There was a Merry Miller
(Thomas Sadler)

The New York Stadium becomes the latest in a long list of grounds where we hope to register an away win, an achievement brought sharply into focus after we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against the 10 men of Bristol Rovers. The current League One table sees Rotherham United a point ahead of us, having won 3 of their 6 games this season. This compares very favourably with last season's showing in the Championship, where they were relegated by a country mile, having won only 5 games all season. Their execrable season was reflected in managerial turmoil, with Alan Stubbs starting the season only to be sacked in October. Paul Warne became Caretaker Manager (for 2 days) before being replaced by Kenny Jackett, and he lasted 2 months before being shown the door. Paul Warne was then given the job formally, and is still at the Millers' helm. There may be one familiar face in their line-up in the form of goalkeeper Richard O'Donnell - he had been first choice for every game until yesterday, when he started on the bench, replaced by Fulham loanee Marek Rodak the current Slovakian U-21 keeper. Rotherham's League One form:-

5 Aug Fleetwood Town (A) Lost 2-0
12 Aug Southend United (H) Won 5-0
19 Aug Peterborough United (A) Lost 2-1
26 Aug Charlton Athletic (H) Lost 0-2
3 Sep Portsmouth (A) Won 0-1
9 Sep Bury (H) Won 3-2

Kieffer Moore may well be the Millers' man to watch - he did score a hat-trick in their comprehensive demolition of Southend United, and a couple more against Bury. If the Southend game is taken out of their statistics, however, they're only averaging a goal a game .... we can but hope!

Jon Whitney may well be pondering his tactical decisions as much as team selection for this one .... I must confess to wondering quite what he was thinking when he took Devlin off at Bristol Rovers and replaced him with Ismail. In a way I can see what he must have thought he was doing - putting an additional striker on to take advantage of Rovers' situation of only having 10 men, but at the same time it did rather leave something of a gaping hole at the back, which (with the help of a Saddlers' error) they exploited ...... :evil: In the light of some of the slipping and sliding that occurred, perhaps new studs are in order? (Sorry, I probably mean new boots - I presume screw-in studs are a thing of the past?).

Rotherham haven't draw any League One games this season so far, and we haven't managed to win any away games - in view of the danger presented by Moore, I think a score draw is probably the best we can hope for. I'll go for 1-1, with Tyler Roberts starting and scoring!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Re: Rotherham United (A) Tues 12 Sep, 7.45pm

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Was going to make an effort to pop across to Rovrum on Tuesday night, but to be honest I can't be bothered any more these days, after Saturdays surrender to ten men, it looks as if we will be cannon fodder on our travels (again) so it takes the excitement out of making the effort. They have been improving slowly and we have never seemed to do very well either at their old ground or the new one. I'm sure PT will be there and will post a cracking report as always.
As someone said in the Brizzle match thread, the next three games will define our season...then we get Charlton at home and Wiggin away! :( When we made those last minute 'attacking option' captures just before the end of the transfer deadline, we all thought 'there we go, at last, some creation in front of goal, oh great joy!', what does he do? Puts Baky in up front as per, to make more of his infamous pass to their goalie 'shots'. :evil:
3-0 defeat at best.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Was going to make an effort to pop across to Rovrum on Tuesday night, but to be honest I can't be bothered any more these days, after Saturdays surrender to ten men, it looks as if we will be cannon fodder on our travels (again) so it takes the excitement out of making the effort. They have been improving slowly and we have never seemed to do very well either at their old ground or the new one. I'm sure PT will be there and will post a cracking report as always.
As someone said in the Brizzle match thread, the next three games will define our season...then we get Charlton at home and Wiggin away! :( When we made those last minute 'attacking option' captures just before the end of the transfer deadline, we all thought 'there we go, at last, some creation in front of goal, oh great joy!', what does he do? Puts Baky in up front as per, to make more of his infamous pass to their goalie 'shots'. :evil:
3-0 defeat at best.

6 games in, 3 points from the play-offs and you've thrown in the towel? I think, when it comes to surrendering, you can teach the team a thing or two. :mrgreen:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 am

I genuinely believe this squad is good enough to compete with any team on their day.

JW ... down to you.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 am

I think AM that is your daftest post yet....none of us know for certain how we will do this season but what we do know is that we have some very good players on the books who appear to be determined to do well. Most of them have something to prove as does the Manager. I am very optimistic for the season however the next few games are tough so it may take a little while for us to get the results I expect.
A think a draw tomorrow is likely.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Other than Bury I think we're a little unlucky not to have won at least one of our away games. I think that'll change at Rotherham, Roberts and Baka to start 1 - 3 to the Saddlers. Roberts, Baka and Leahy (the lad seems to almost or actually score each game!!).

UTS!!!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Well AM thanks for confirming you've seen sod all of the game on Saturday :roll: :roll: :roll: We surrendered nothing, there was a mistake from one of our players after we battered them for an entire half. We deserved to win and Bakayoko was way more of a threat than Agyei was at any point. He volleyed wide from about 20 yard away, he unleashed a bullet that went just wide, he "won" the red card if you want to call it that. Roberts came on for Agyei because it just wasn't his day and Baka was all over the game.

A supporter supports whether we win or lose. Taking the easy route and saying you can't be bothered because we might not win sums you up. You are happy sitting in your arm chair, chatting beans about stuff you haven't even watched and is proved by your lack of knowledge and no short amount of whining on those subjects.

Anyway, I'd happily take a point here again. We do need to win away but Rotherham look a decent side and I imagine the side is drained after Saturday. Hopefully can regroup here and go hell for leather Saturday.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Mazza01 wrote:I genuinely believe this squad is good enough to compete with any team on their day.

JW ... down to you.

This.

I'll take a draw tonight. Would be very surprised if we won.

giglee

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Can't help but feel a loss coming. Our away form is dreadful and they're a good team, with that Moore chap looking like an excellent striker.

I hope for a 1-1 but I'm predicting a 2-0 loss.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Was going to make an effort to pop across to Rovrum on Tuesday night, but to be honest I can't be bothered any more these days, after Saturdays surrender to ten men, it looks as if we will be cannon fodder on our travels (again) so it takes the excitement out of making the effort.

Good to see you are still a "glass half-full" kind of guy AM. :wink: :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Was going to make an effort to pop across to Rovrum on Tuesday night, but to be honest I can't be bothered any more these days, after Saturdays surrender to ten men, it looks as if we will be cannon fodder on our travels (again) so it takes the excitement out of making the effort.

Good to see you are still a "glass half-full" kind of guy AM. :wink: :D

Yes, but what is it half full of, that's the question. Answers on a postcard, please..... :mrgreen:

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:I genuinely believe this squad is good enough to compete with any team on their day.

JW ... down to you.

This.

Tomorrow night surely? I hope so as I have a ticket!☺

PT
Site Addict

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

giglee wrote:Can't help but feel a loss coming. Our away form is dreadful and they're a good team, with that Moore chap looking like an excellent striker.

I hope for a 1-1 but I'm predicting a 2-0 loss.

I think we're due one of those 1-0 wins where the possession, the shots and everything suggests we were battered but we scab a goal off Guthrie's arse or something. We're just due one.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:10 am

El_Nombre wrote: We deserved to win.

Please explain the logic behind that assertion, given that the opposition out-scored us even though they had fewer players for a third of the game. You deserve to win if you score more goals not if you have more of the ball and look the more likely, surely?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 am

booster cogburn wrote:
El_Nombre wrote: We deserved to win.

Please explain the logic behind that assertion, given that the opposition out-scored us even though they had fewer players for a third of the game. You deserve to win if you score more goals not if you have more of the ball and look the more likely, surely?

Because we had a shed load of corners, a shed load of chances that we actually created, were by far the better team second half and marginally had the best of it first half.

They scored from a freak slip that nobody could do anything about first half, and a mistake while we were pushing for the winner second half.

That is poor management. I don't understand the Devlin sub and I don't understand the formation change, but the players surrendered nothing and certainly didn't deserve to lose. Good enough? I mean, I did explain that logic at length in the post you've selected part of.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 am

Got a Doncaster-under-Dickie-Dosh feeling in my waters about this one. 2-1 Saddlers.

I wonder how ridiculously short the "Both Teams To Score" odds are.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

JW ... down to you.

This.

Tomorrow night surely? I hope so as I have a ticket!☺

I know what I meant, leave me alone. :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am

El_Nombre wrote:Well AM thanks for confirming you've seen sod all of the game on Saturday :roll: :roll: :roll: We surrendered nothing, there was a mistake from one of our players after we battered them for an entire half. We deserved to win and Bakayoko was way more of a threat than Agyei was at any point. He volleyed wide from about 20 yard away, he unleashed a bullet that went just wide, he "won" the red card if you want to call it that. Roberts came on for Agyei because it just wasn't his day and Baka was all over the game.

A supporter supports whether we win or lose. Taking the easy route and saying you can't be bothered because we might not win sums you up. You are happy sitting in your arm chair, chatting beans about stuff you haven't even watched and is proved by your lack of knowledge and no short amount of whining on those subjects.

Anyway, I'd happily take a point here again. We do need to win away but Rotherham look a decent side and I imagine the side is drained after Saturday. Hopefully can regroup here and go hell for leather Saturday.

There we go El...thought I was the one who doled out the insults? :oops:
Correct me if I'm wrong, after all, as an Ex Ref who obviously knows nothing about football, didn't we actually lose this game 2-1, or have the EFL, Papers, Tely etc all got it wrong, and we should have taken the points because we mullered their 10 men in the second half? After all, defensive mistakes shouldn't count according to your ideas?
Perhaps you are right about Bakayoko, perhaps he has improved tenfold? He would have to if his 'form' in the Bury match was anything to go by.
Tonights match may actually be a wash out/abandonment anyway.....up here in the Pennine area we have been promised gale force winds of 70/75 mph with torrential downpours as early evening begins! If it does go ahead it could be uncomfortable for both players and spectators!! :? But what do weather forecasters (like ex footy ref's and footy) know about weather anyway? :wink: :mrgreen:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Well AM thanks for confirming you've seen sod all of the game on Saturday :roll: :roll: :roll: We surrendered nothing, there was a mistake from one of our players after we battered them for an entire half. We deserved to win and Bakayoko was way more of a threat than Agyei was at any point. He volleyed wide from about 20 yard away, he unleashed a bullet that went just wide, he "won" the red card if you want to call it that. Roberts came on for Agyei because it just wasn't his day and Baka was all over the game.

There we go El...thought I was the one who doled out the insults? :oops:
Correct me if I'm wrong, after all, as an Ex Ref who obviously knows nothing about football, didn't we actually lose this game 2-1, or have the EFL, Papers, Tely etc all got it wrong, and we should have taken the points because we mullered their 10 men in the second half? After all, defensive mistakes shouldn't count according to your ideas?
Perhaps you are right about Bakayoko, perhaps he has improved tenfold? He would have to if his 'form' in the Bury match was anything to go by.
Tonights match may actually be a wash out/abandonment anyway.....up here in the Pennine area we have been promised gale force winds of 70/75 mph with torrential downpours as early evening begins! If it does go ahead it could be uncomfortable for both players and spectators!! :? But what do weather forecasters (like ex footy ref's and footy) know about weather anyway? :wink: :mrgreen:

I humbly apologise for such a cutting and distasteful remark.

I didn't say you know nothing about football, I said you knew nothing about the game in question. What does being and ex ref have to do with that? Clearly it is beyond the realms of possibility that a result doesn't tell the whole story of a game...

As for Baka, I can't comment on the Bury game I wasn't there. I wouldn't talk s***e about something I have no knowledge of.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am

Deuce!

See ya at a match someday, and we can discuss our alternative 'views' over a pint perhaps?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Deuce!

See ya at a match someday, and we can discuss our alternative 'views' over a pint perhaps?

Always happy for a pint! :D

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 pm

First-time that I will miss the game at Rotherham in more than 30 plus years .
Mark Rees to have a blinder 4.2 win!

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Keep it up AM. You're the only one with more than half a brain on here (me included - before the harassment starts :lol: )

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:14 pm

hullsaddler wrote:First-time that I will miss the game at Rotherham in more than 30 plus years .
Mark Rees to have a blinder 4.2 win!

With 4877 WFC fans in attendance. Cant see Rees scoring though, he really is cack.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:24 pm

3-1 Walsall win tonight. The start of our new away form.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:15 pm

This will be another tight encounter.

So i'll go for:-

Rotterdam 10 - 5 Wallsull

Rothers

Goalie: Steve Cherry

Chris Wilder
Chris Hutchings
Mark Robbins
Darren Byfield
Martin Butler
Junior
Pablo Mills
Mark Bradley
Emanuel Ledesma
Anthony Forde

Wasall

Goalie: Richard O'Donnell

Tony Grealish
Tony Barras
Reuben Reid
Paul Downing
Dean Holden

Att: 8,149 (343 Saddlers)

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Tonights match may actually be a wash out/abandonment anyway.....up here in the Pennine area we have been promised gale force winds of 70/75 mph with torrential downpours as early evening begins! If it does go ahead it could be uncomfortable for both players and spectators!! :? But what do weather forecasters (like ex footy ref's and footy) know about weather anyway? :wink: :mrgreen:

Ah, yes. If it's a stay indoors evening, then I'm off to the offy in a bit for a couple of real ales. There's a full league programme scheduled, so Murdoch Sports should be putting the midweek Jeff Stelling show (sans Jeff Stelling) on the tellybox, hopefully sending the lovely Michelle Owen to a game that doesn't get called off.

The inclement weather should be beneficial for the new Walsall brand of cynical six-foot-plusers, and conversely, these Portugese fancy-dans up the road might just get a culture shock from the combination of a torrential downpour and Aden Flint.

Splendid.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:40 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Tonights match may actually be a wash out/abandonment anyway.....up here in the Pennine area we have been promised gale force winds of 70/75 mph with torrential downpours as early evening begins! If it does go ahead it could be uncomfortable for both players and spectators!! :? But what do weather forecasters (like ex footy ref's and footy) know about weather anyway? :wink: :mrgreen:

Ah, yes. If it's a stay indoors evening, then I'm off to the offy in a bit for a couple of real ales. There's a full league programme scheduled, so Murdoch Sports should be putting the midweek Jeff Stelling show (sans Jeff Stelling) on the tellybox, hopefully sending the lovely Michelle Owen to a game that doesn't get called off.

The inclement weather should be beneficial for the new Walsall brand of cynical six-foot-plusers, and conversely, these Portugese fancy-dans up the road might just get a culture shock from the combination of a torrential downpour and Aden Flint.

Splendid.

Just checked for you and she is at the Custard Bowl tonight.
I stalk, sorry follow her, on twerp :D :D

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Splendid.

Just checked for you and she is at the Custard Bowl tonight.
I stalk, sorry follow her, on twerp :D :D

:twisted:

How extra specially glorious those Bristol City goals shall be, narrated by her dulcet tones!

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm

El_Nombre wrote: I wouldn't talk s***e about something I have no knowledge of.

That's it then, no more conversations with El Nombre about football!!

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season