Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham United (A) Tues 12 Sep, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Rotherham United (A) Tues 12 Sep, 7.45pm

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm

What have we been paying Ian sharps to do?? :?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Despite folk slating me for saying so earlier, I'm bloomin glad I didn't go after all! :evil: :evil: :evil:

What a shambles, something aint right, I'm sure this is a good squad of players (though they must take the blame for tonight's surrender) so why is it looking like we are heading in the wrong direction?

Time for Whitney to bow out and let someone else try to salvage what is left of this disaster of a season. And for buts sake please don't let any condescending happy clapper tell us that we are only 7 games in..........disastrous goal difference and heading towards the drop zone with a defence like a colander, heading into a group of fixtures that make Rovrum look like relegation candidates.......................not looking too good eh?

Someone will inevitably defend tonight's performance as a blip....you will be alone in this world if you do!

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Despite folk slating me for saying so earlier, I'm bloomin glad I didn't go after all! :evil: :evil: :evil:

What a shambles, something aint right, I'm sure this is a good squad of players (though they must take the blame for tonight's surrender) so why is it looking like we are heading in the wrong direction?

Time for Whitney to bow out and let someone else try to salvage what is left of this disaster of a season. And for buts sake please don't let any condescending happy clapper tell us that we are only 7 games in..........disastrous goal difference and heading towards the drop zone with a defence like a colander, heading into a group of fixtures that make Rovrum look like relegation candidates.......................not looking too good eh?

Someone will inevitably defend tonight's performance as a blip....you will be alone in this world if you do!
fans will come on and blame the team(that he picked and mentored) but not JW :mrgreen:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

On my way back. That was embarrassing. Threw in the towel after 1st goal. If Whitney thinks he's signed players with fight and commitment he's got it badly wrong.
If our home form deserts us and its possible Saturday with what must be now fragile confidence i fear the worse this season

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 pm

I've tried to be a little more positive recently but fudge it now.

fudge off Whitney
fudge off happy clappers
fudge off Bonsor
fudge off Cassius Camp

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Defence dosen't convince me at all I'm afraid and this embarrassment will compound things.

What's clear is the away form will limit any ambitions this season. I'd take 20th now tbh.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm

scott_powell wrote:I've tried to be a little more positive recently but fudge it now.

fudge off Whitney
fudge off happy clappers
fudge off Bonsor
fudge off Cassius Camp

Don't forget that camp is going to pay dividends this season!

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 pm

This defeat tonight has compounded the argument that JW should go, i honestly think that the squad we have could do well under a good manager :wink:

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:19 pm

chunkster wrote:This defeat tonight has compounded the argument that JW should go, i honestly think that the squad we have could do well under a good manager :wink:

This team won't do well they are quitters. I watched in disbelief as from our corner they broke away with ease and no one could be bothered to chase back.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Whitney mute and motionless in his technical area, Cutler and Sharps nowhere to be seen - says it all.

Clueless.
Last edited by Walsall_Casual on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 pm

*Ignores UTS until we next win*

Harry
UTS Veteran

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Goals 2, 3 and 4 were all down to our three centre halves allowing gentle crosses a free path across the penalty area until they are met by a grateful Rotherham player. In particular the way that Guthrie attempted to head away a long throw before their third goal was pathetic.

Perhaps if Whitney left we might be able to get James O'Connor and Matthew Preston to return.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -1-walsall

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 pm

this is what can happen when your defence is made up of scottish pub league players and league 2 standard players,awful

UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:30 am

Just a blip. Well, five of them. The fifth blip is a cracker.

https://youtu.be/z7w9088IK90

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 am

I thought we had made a good start but when you look at this result in context the signs have been there. Behind against Oldham. 3 nil down to Bradford.

People are saying blame the players not the manager but it has to be both and actually more on the manager. He sets them up to go out there. He's supposed to motivate them. He's the one who organises his defence. What was donnellan doing on the pitch? He was culpable after Rovers and that was a questionable selection to begin with after Roberts' performance. What are we bothering with 3 at the back in the first place? Because it's fashionable? Because to me it doesn't look like we can pull it off. We played 442 the entire preseason and looked much more solid so why not play it?

Longer term he's overseen a change from a team that finished 3rd in the league to one that looks distinctly average. More on the board than him to be fair but how on earth has that been allowed to happen.

But the main reason this falls on Whitney is because we know this team has good players in it. They should not be losing by 5 goals to Rotherham. Leahy Devlin, Wilson, Chambers, Edwards, Oztumer, Baka on his day, T Roberts, all look like decent league one players at least. He's just not a manger.

People earlier on were climbing on Gillespie but having seen the goals it's the whole back 6 as a unit. Yes he takes some of the blame but they all do. He could have done better for some of them but most where from close range as it was after some piss poor defending. Headers 10 yards from the goal, defenders woefully out of position (particularly Devlin on the last one) just not good enough.

Hilarious that the camp has raised its head again. Maybe the fitness and psychology camp helped in the three nil come back against Bradford? Or playing right until the end against Oldham too? But yes let's blame one result in September on a three day camp at the beginning of July and keep banging on about it.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 am

El_Nombre wrote:I thought we had made a good start but when you look at this result in context the signs have been there. Behind against Oldham. 3 nil down to Bradford.

People are saying blame the players not the manager but it has to be both and actually more on the manager. He sets them up to go out there. He's supposed to motivate them. He's the one who organises his defence. What was donnellan doing on the pitch? He was culpable after Rovers and that was a questionable selection to begin with after Roberts' performance. What are we bothering with 3 at the back in the first place? Because it's fashionable? Because to me it doesn't look like we can pull it off. We played 442 the entire preseason and looked much more solid so why not play it?

Longer term he's overseen a change from a team that finished 3rd in the league to one that looks distinctly average. More on the board than him to be fair but how on earth has that been allowed to happen.

But the main reason this falls on Whitney is because we know this team has good players in it. They should not be losing by 5 goals to Rotherham. Leahy Devlin, Wilson, Chambers, Edwards, Oztumer, Baka on his day, T Roberts, all look like decent league one players at least. He's just not a manger.

People earlier on were climbing on Gillespie but having seen the goals it's the whole back 6 as a unit. Yes he takes some of the blame but they all do. He could have done better for some of them but most where from close range as it was after some piss poor defending. Headers 10 yards from the goal, defenders woefully out of position (particularly Devlin on the last one) just not good enough.

Hilarious that the camp has raised its head again. Maybe the fitness and psychology camp helped in the three nil come back against Bradford? Or playing right until the end against Oldham too? But yes let's blame one result in September on a three day camp at the beginning of July and keep banging on about it.

The camp thing was a joke :roll:

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 am

As the kids say...

#momentum

:lol: :lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:00 am

El_Nombre wrote:What are we bothering with 3 at the back in the first place? Because it's fashionable? Because to me it doesn't look like we can pull it off. We played 442 the entire preseason and looked much more solid so why not play it?

Because at least one, more realistically two, of Ozzy, Tyler, & Aygei don't fit the starting XI under 442, & one of them, by necessity, misses out to accommodate the bang out of form Morris. This severely weakens us as an attacking entity.

The formation is not the issue. 352 is what suits this group of players.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 am

Awful.... Keeper can kick... that's about it...

We have more defenders than the rest of the league put together.... but cant defend as a unit. I cant begin to think what Kory Roberts is thinking after his MOTM display the other week to be dropped for a loanee... to be fair Ty Roberts kept going and Dan Agayi or whatever his name is had a go when he came on but there was nothing in the middle until Morris and Flo joined up.

Satsuma was useless.... not fit to lace Sawyers boots.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:05 am

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:I thought we had made a good start but when you look at this result in context the signs have been there. Behind against Oldham. 3 nil down to Bradford.

And clearly at fault for everything ever and played no part in our good performances :roll:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:09 am

EvenFlow wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:What are we bothering with 3 at the back in the first place? Because it's fashionable? Because to me it doesn't look like we can pull it off. We played 442 the entire preseason and looked much more solid so why not play it?

Because at least one, more realistically two, of Ozzy, Tyler, & Aygei don't fit the starting XI under 442, & one of them, by necessity, misses out to accommodate the bang out of form Morris. This severely weakens us as an attacking entity.

How does it it suit us? It doesn't suit the defense at all. We have conceded in every single game so far this season. Sometimes you can't fit all of your best player into a formation that works. 352 may work going forward but I don't think it does defensively for us. To play it we need to play one of Donnellan or Roberts and I'd rather both were back up options to be honest.

Isn't Ismail a winger? You wouldn't have to bring Morris in. Like I say, It seemed to work perfectly fine preseason and we didn't even have the personnel. Joe Edwards was playing left wing. I think Roberts Left and Ismail Right, Edwards and Chambers in the middle, Ozzy false nine and Baka/Agyei striker is much more solid than the 3 at the back we end up playing at the moment.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 am

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

And clearly at fault for everything ever and played no part in our good performances :roll:

IT WAS A JOKE. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

IT WAS A JOKE. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

a 71 day old one. That you make every time something negative happens. "Hilarious" like I said. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am

El_Nombre wrote:What are we bothering with 3 at the back in the first place?

Because Whitney is so poor at organising a defence that he has to get as many defenders on the pitch as reasonably possible, in the folorn hope that extra numbers will mean a stronger defence.

Compare the defenders that were on the pitch last night versus Rotherham, against the defenders we had on the pitch during 15/16.

Last night: Guthrie, Leahy, Devlin, Donnellan, Wilson, Edwards + Chambers = 7

15/16: Taylor/Rico, JOC, Downing, Demetriou + Chambers = 5

Moral of the story?

Defensive numbers don't equal defensive solidity.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 am

Guest wrote:Just a blip. Well, five of them. The fifth blip is a cracker.

Thats a defensive horror show. Had to stop watching after the 4th.

The lacklustre way we close down, the jogging back when Rotherham have the ball, the half arsed attempt at stopping crosses, the statues when the cross comes in, the complete lack of marking. Jesus Christ, that's embarassing to watch.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 am

It was a silly comment not to be taken seriously on what is a rubbish night as a saddler. Get over it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 am

Harry wrote:Goals 2, 3 and 4 were all down to our three centre halves allowing gentle crosses a free path across the penalty area until they are met by a grateful Rotherham player. In particular the way that Guthrie attempted to head away a long throw before their third goal was pathetic.

Perhaps if Whitney left we might be able to get James O'Connor and Matthew Preston to return.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -1-walsall

Crosses are difficult to defend - the ball is coming across you, not towards you, for a start. Secondly, you have to attack the ball, thus you possibly don't know where the striker / attacker is in relation to you. Thirdly, the trajectory of the ball is a lot lower, quicker and more difficult to judge than a hoofed ball forward, fourthly, if the cross is good, it's difficult to get away, with crosses from open play, you're most likely running back towards your own goal, so getting a decent clearance is difficult...

Thats why decent teams put all the leg work in to making sure the cross never leaves the wide players boot, and if it does, it gets blocked before it gets anywhere near the penalty area.

Since the first time I saw Whitneys teams I've said we don't stop crosses, and it's the biggest problem we have.

philthesaddler wrote:Gillingham A match thread 16/17

First game of the season for me due to other commitments.

1-1 probably a fair result for 2 poor teams.

Toner is rubbish, particularly so in the air. The whole team cannot stop crosses coming in, nor can they defend them. Makris is shocking.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 am

scott_powell wrote:It was a silly comment not to be taken seriously on what is a rubbish night as a saddler. Get over it.

Ha you telling me to get over something when the joke you made was about something inconsequential 10 weeks ago not said in a jokey way at all? Now that's funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 am

El_Nombre wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

How does it it suit us? It doesn't suit the defense at all. We have conceded in every single game so far this season. Sometimes you can't fit all of your best player into a formation that works. 352 may work going forward but I don't think it does defensively for us. To play it we need to play one of Donnellan or Roberts and I'd rather both were back up options to be honest.

Isn't Ismail a winger? You wouldn't have to bring Morris in. Like I say, It seemed to work perfectly fine preseason and we didn't even have the personnel. Joe Edwards was playing left wing. I think Roberts Left and Ismail Right, Edwards and Chambers in the middle, Ozzy false nine and Baka/Agyei striker is much more solid than the 3 at the back we end up playing at the moment.

When has square pegs/round holes ever been the long-term answer to anything? Not to mention that both wingers potentially go in January, and we're right back to a scenario where Morris has to start, irrespective of form.

Where did it work "perfectly well" in pre-season? The defeats at Solihull and Lincoln?
Last edited by EvenFlow on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 am

Guest wrote:Just a blip. Well, five of them. The fifth blip is a cracker.

Leahy looked more like a Tartan Arms pub player than a League One footballer last night. Very disappointing.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season