Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League One, 9th Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League One, 9th Sept 3pm

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
ObiWan7 wrote:What was the keeper sent off for , it only says "For a foul" on BBC.

It was a foul on Bakayoko - Baka must have been "in on goal" I guess. No doubt Channel 5 will show us tonight!!

Yes, but I won't be able to to put it on YouTube...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Walsall's 2nd substitution was Ismail for Devlin - that makes at least 3 recognised strikers on for us....

Joe Edwards was also yellow carded on 78 minutes.

83 minutes, Bristol Rovers got their 4th yellow card.

84 minutes, Walsall's 3rd yellow card.....

86 minutes, and Rovers score!!! 2-1 now :( :( :( :(

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Losing. :shock:

If you can't win away at 1-1 and their keeper sent offf......

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm

They've really taken their foot off the gas (pun intended) since the sending off

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......................
WHAT A WASTED OPPORTUNITY..............................ABSOLUTE DISGRACE, THEY WERE DOWN TO TEN MEN FOR GODS SAKE!

We all had such dreams, proper strikers on the books and we still lose.....so, mid table mediocrity it is then.
Last edited by Ancient Moaner on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

So much for that...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Rovers' 5th yellow card, 90 minutes.

Incidentally, Ismail received a yellow card, and he only came on in 82 minutes :roll:

We have our 8th corner, 94 min ... and our 9th .....

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Losing. :shock:

If you can't win away at 1-1 and their keeper sent offf......

Whitney out!!!!!!!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:55 pm

In the circumstances this is a very poor result, wouldn't have been happy with a 1-1.

Away form will kill any sort of looking up the table.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Momentum.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm

I never believed that old adage about "10 men play better than 11" .... oh, hang on...... :?

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Watched iFollow for the first time. Worked okay, did the job it's intended to do I suppose.

We played quite well I thought and were done by two defensive mistakes from Guthrie first half and Donnellen second. Bristol were okay but they were there for the taking if we didn't make the defensive mistakes we did as they didn't create an awful lot of good chances themselves.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

A very disappointing result especially in the circumstances. As commented above our away form will hold us back unless we improve quickly. We also have some tough away games coming up so I cannot see things changing in the near future.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:51 pm

How we lost that I'll never know. They were the better side up to their goal after that we were well on top even when it was 11v11
Before the gloom and doom merchants start we will do well this season and once we get this can't we away monkey off our back our away form will improve big time.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Graydon48 wrote:How we lost that I'll never know. They were the better side up to their goal after that we were well on top even when it was 11v11
Before the gloom and doom merchants start we will do well this season and once we get this can't we away monkey off our back our away form will improve big time.

But will it? That monkey on the back seems to be 'Walsall playing (ie losing) away from home' It's been that way throughout recent and not so recent history (with just a few exceptions).

I have been watching Walsall's away performances on a regular basis for the past 40 odd years (living as an exile) and with just a couple of seasons exceptions, our away form has been utterly dire. We seem to travel very poorly, with a negative attitude which says 'how many will we lose by today'. Many will be aware that our away followings have reduced considerable in the past few years...and little wonder. Regrettably following Walsall, this is the way it has always been, and will always be. The regulars love to go away for the drinks with mates beforehand, but you can see that the feeling is always a matter of' can we get a draw out of this one at best'. That is why we will never properly challenge for the top spots. Mid table is where we will always be, winning a few home matches and scraping the odd draw or lucky win away. :(

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:33 pm

It was good in the Smith later years.

Isn't that the lot of a mid table team though. Pick up majority of points at home and the odd draw and win away? Seems to be how this season is already panning out anyway.

Roberts must start on Tuesday anyway. Sounds like things picked up again when he came on. Why Baka is suddenly seem as un droppable is bemusing me a little.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Very disappointed with that. Thought we were clearly the better team and played the better football - until they went down to 10 men: then we seemed clueless as to what to do. All the good, fairly fluent football seemed to go out of the window and we allowed a soft goal to deprive us of the at-least-one point we deserved. Or did we? We really were rubbish against 10 men. Not that they did much - just scored the winning goal. Very disappointed with Oztumer. Good in parts but made too many mistakes and wrong decisions. Me first game of the season, first time in 20 years I've seen us lose there and reet cheesed off :evil:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Maybe with a little more tactical awareness we could have got something from the game? mick kearns was saying that we should have shoved a defender up front when we looked like we were struggling against the ten men? :|

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 pm

The problem with Donnellan's error for the goal was that he had made exactly the same error a few minutes earlier.
We were the better side until the sending off - after that, we seemed to lose the plot completely. Probably epitomised by Chambers aimless punt into their box in the 94th minute - desperate stuff.
As mentioned above, Oztumer was disappointing, wasting a host of good positions.
Fairly crap day all round.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Reports from my 5 family members that were there today were that Both Oz and EdwArds were awful and should have been subbed.
If players are clearly not up for it in away games they should be dropped.
Roberts to start on Tuesday please.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 pm

The win was there for the taking even when a goal down it always loooked as if we would score. their goals came through 2 defensive mistakes and for all their shots did not look like scoring any other way.
Worst thing to happen was the sending off, until then we had taken control and looked like wining, against 10 men we took it to easy thinking we had it in the bag only to make another defensive error.
After looking better last couple games Baka was back to normal missing a sitter in first half and little else.
As others have said Ozzy below usual standard not sure if he knows where he is playing in new set up.
First visit to Memorial ground like going back in time and visiting a sixties ground loved sitting in the big tent.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:25 pm

We're shite away.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 pm

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:58 am

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 am

They are two shocking goals. No clean sheets yet this season, so whilst I think we all agree that the defence looks pretty solid, it is a defence that will always present a couple of very good chances per game.

Reports suggest it was a game that could have gone either way, but this away form is getting beyond a joke.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:28 am

And the Verve Cliquot Award for the most monumentally incompetent team goes to..........................................

Managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Apart from that an entertaining game.

Next three games will determine our season.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:41 pm

I hate when the other side goes down to ten when the game is all square or not out of reach. Just look back to Bolton at home last year.

We were alright yesterday I thought - Just could see it coming when that keeper made his first few saves. He wasn't gonna be beaten.

Harry
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:15 pm

While we can blame appalling defending mistakes and missed chances, to me the real problem yesterday was in central midfield.

Oztumer is worth his place in the side because of his goals, but his general play in the middle is not, and never has been, great. He simply does not get in the game enough and does not create decent openings for our front men. Joe Edwards is fine as a wide midfielder, full back, or wing back, but is not good enough as a central midfielder. Time for Cuvelier to start, or perhaps play Tyrone Roberts as an attacking midfielder behind Agyei and Baka. Roberts looked the best footballer on the pitch when he came on. He must start every game and the more he is involved the better.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Harry wrote:While we can blame appalling defending mistakes and missed chances, to me the real problem yesterday was in central midfield.

Oztumer is worth his place in the side because of his goals, but his general play in the middle is not, and never has been, great. He simply does not get in the game enough and does not create decent openings for our front men. Joe Edwards is fine as a wide midfielder, full back, or wing back, but is not good enough as a central midfielder. Time for Cuvelier to start, or perhaps play Tyrone Roberts as an attacking midfielder behind Agyei and Baka. Roberts looked the best footballer on the pitch when he came on. He must start every game and the more he is involved the better.

I think Oztumer has become an anomaly in the way the team now sets up. Whitney signed him to replace Sawyers at a time when Whitney was trying to continue the "philosophy" that had got us so close to promotion the year before.

Having more or less put that philosophy to bed this season with the team being more direct and physical (not a criticism) I wonder where Oztumer actually fits in. The Smith philosophy was to try to pull teams about through slick passing and movement. Carving chances through incisive play down the throat. We often passed up the chance to cross, even from wide set pieces, preferring to work the ball like Arsenal and dare I say it Barcelona in their pomp. And when it worked it was glorious. Oztumer would have fitted right into that.

But now we get it wide and get it in. We've already scored as many headers this season as we did all of last. We even chuck the thing into the mixer when we can. No problem with that and it isn't actually about just lumping it forward either. It is a modern twist on how Graydon set his best sides up. And to further what some might see as sacrilegious, I'm not sure if Sir Ray himself could have found an effective role for Oztumer.

The way we play needs a number ten who is alongside rather than behind the number nine. Two up top. Strike twins who can hold it up and get on the end of stuff that comes in from wide. So if Devlin and Leahy are to hug the chalk out wide, the big question becomes what we do with the three midfielders in between them and I'm not sure there is an obvious role for Oztumer's fantastic ability in there. And I think he knows it. His body language is off and when he does get the ball he seems maybe a little over anxious to stamp his talent and his value on the game when often there is a far simpler intervention available.

He is a brilliant talent, one of the most skilful players I've seen play for us. I'm just not sure we're currently made for each other.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Just a thought PT? do you think that JW in knowing that ozzy will go next season or in fact january? is setting the team up so that we will be ready to play without him?. But doesn't want to drop him completely because 1. he would suffer a backlash from fans and 2. He still has the ability to make something special happen. And if you think about it, if ozzy plays like he did yesterday for the next few games, then fans will start saying he should be dropped, which would take point 1 out of the equation :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season