Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League One, 9th Sept 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bristol Rovers (A) League One, 9th Sept 3pm

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am

Arab boys at sport
(Rossetti)

Jumpin' Jack Flash
It's a gas, gas, gas.
(Jagger/Richards)

A day out in the West Country for our intrepid band of optimistic Saddlers' supporters, as we visit Bristol Rovers. Like ourselves, Rovers have never graced the top flight, but their copybook was slightly blotted by dropping into the Conference in 2014. Under manager Darrell Clarke, however, they've not only successfully clawed their way back into the Football League but gained promotion from League 2 very quickly, finishing mid-table last season. There is one obvious connection between our two clubs, in that John Ward was successively Manager and Director of Football (2012-14) before being shown the door. This season has been up-and-down (early days yet), and Rovers' home form has seen them thumped by Posh, yet winning against Fleetwood. Current league form:

5 Aug Charlton Athletic (A) Lost 1-0
12 Aug Peterborough Utd (H) Lost 1-4
19 Aug Bury (A) Won 2-3
26 Aug Fleetwood Town (H) Won 3-1
2 Sep Bradford City (A) Lost 3-1

It looks as though Jon Whitney will have a full squad from which to make his selections for this game, and this gives him the delightful headache of choosing between more strikers than he's ever had .... performances so far indicate that loan players Roberts and Ismail are pushing for starts - Ismail did turn out for the development team's midweek game, so he may be benched, leaving Roberts to partner Bakayoko up front with Oztumer in a supply (and occasional scorer) mode. The influx of striking options leaves Simeon Jackson even further down the pecking order than before - he may benefit from a change of scenery. Another dilemma for JW is that Kory Roberts played well enough against Plymouth Argyle to be in contention for the man-of-the-match award, but with Donnellan available, what to do for the best? As Yul Brynner said in "The King and I" ... "Is a puzzlement".

We are without an away win in League One this season (don't even think of quoting last season's statistics), and this Saturday would be a very good opportunity to improve on our current 10th position in the table. Depending on other results we could even find ourselves in the play-off zone, which would be a huge contrast to the prophesies of the "doom and gloom" fraternity at the beginning of the season. Confidence within the squad is reportedly running high as we look to continue the 4-game unbeaten League One run, and I think with our available strike force a 1-2 away win is within our capabilities, with (naturally) Roberts and Bakayoko scoring. Rovers will probably get a goal through our customary generosity with giving away penalties, but as long as the end of the day brings 3 points, who cares? :D

UTS

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League One, 9th Sept 3pm

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 am

I'm going for a 1 - 1 away win for the saddlers, but Whitney has earned a free swing at this one so you never know!

Going down myself so hopefully won't pass out before half time.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 am

El_Nombre wrote:I'm going for a 1 - 1 away win for the saddlers, but Whitney has earned a free swing at this one so you never know!

A 1-1 away win?! Interesting.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:27 am

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:I'm going for a 1 - 1 away win for the saddlers, but Whitney has earned a free swing at this one so you never know!

A 1-1 away win?! Interesting.

It was a joke, as in we never win away.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:54 am

I'm going for a shock 25-26 away win, all penalties, due to the stupidity of defenders brushing up against players in the box, apparently all technical fouls.

:mrgreen:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Is Agyei available? I would play him & Roberts up front with Baka coming on after half time.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

It is time we won away so I think a narrow victory is on the cards. I wouldn't change the team for this game as we have another match on Tuesday when we can ,if needed, shake up the striking department.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm

A choice of strikers? whodathunk it eh?

So it's Jackson up front again (because he has a secret video of Whitney actually promoting attacking play during a practice session, which he vehemently denies, but Jackson has promised to make it public if he fails to play him in every match!) Baky on the bench, with our new signings taking it in turn to make tea and cakes at half time.

Their form is a bit topsy turvy innit, the heart says a narrow 2-1 victory, but head says 3-1 defeat.

So 1-1 it will be then. Jon Ward rushes out and punctures the ball before KO, ref sends him home to get his backside tanned.
We win 15-8 on fouls, both goals OG's, ours being the most spectacular as Messi fires in a 40 yard thunderbolt past Gillespie during the second half having forgotten we turn around at half time!

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Going for a 1-2 away win :D i think that if we had had the players we have now at our disposal at the start of the season i honestly don't think we would have lost a game yet :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:27 pm

"Going up the Gloucester Road...." :mrgreen:

to see a 2-2 draw. Fancy Edwards and Roberts to score here.

Point would be a good result. Bristol started the season a bit slow but they signed some good players in the summer so think they'll be in the mix for top 6 at the end of the season.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:"Going up the Gloucester Road...." :mrgreen:

Point would be a good result. Bristol started the season a bit slow but they signed some good players in the summer so think they'll be in the mix for top 6 at the end of the season.

do they still play at the shared ground?

coop63
Glitterati

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 pm

With an unheard of and relative embarrassment of riches in the 'striker department' at his disposal, JW will prove all the pre-season doubters (including me) completely wrong and we'll romp back up the M5 with a 2-3 away win in the bag...

I can't believe I'm writing this either!!! UTS

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:A choice of strikers? whodathunk it eh?

So it's Jackson up front again (because he has a secret video of Whitney actually promoting attacking play during a practice session, which he vehemently denies, but Jackson has promised to make it public if he fails to play him in every match!) Baky on the bench, with our new signings taking it in turn to make tea and cakes at half time.

Their form is a bit topsy turvy innit, the heart says a narrow 2-1 victory, but head says 3-1 defeat.

So 1-1 it will be then. Jon Ward rushes out and punctures the ball before KO, ref sends him home to get his backside tanned.
We win 15-8 on fouls, both goals OG's, ours being the most spectacular as Messi fires in a 40 yard thunderbolt past Gillespie during the second half having forgotten we turn around at half time!

That's better AM, that's the most sensible thing you have posted for a long time. :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:46 pm

chunkster wrote:

Yeah Memorial Ground. No idea if they're even close to moving to a new place, seemed like they've been talking about it for years while Bristol City build a new stand every year.

Bristol is one of my favourite places in the U.K. Proper pub crawl potential from the centre up to the ground, a cider or 100.

addo
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Yeah Memorial Ground. No idea if they're even close to moving to a new place, seemed like they've been talking about it for years while Bristol City build a new stand every year.

I think its all shifted around now.
I think the rugby club moved to share with Bristol City , so this is Rovers own stadium now.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:15 am

First time vistiting Bristol Rovers, can anyone recommend decent pubs for the day? I've been told The Drapers Arms, which is one of these new fangled micropub things, but that's about it?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:32 am

Wim gunna smash em ay we.

4-1 Walsall.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 am

1-1 jobby

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:51 am

El_Nombre wrote:First time vistiting Bristol Rovers, can anyone recommend decent pubs for the day? I've been told The Drapers Arms, which is one of these new fangled micropub things, but that's about it?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Glo ... -2.5879261

Can't be wrong here chap. :mrgreen:

Cider Press and Bristol Flyer by the railway bridge are both pretty decent and there's a few more pubs up the road near the ground. Plenty in the city centre aswell which is only 5 minutes away.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Interesting game. I don't think there as been a game were the manager scores for the opposition?
Anyway i'll go for an entertaining:

Brizzle 6 -4 Warsul

Brizzle

Goalie: Ron Green

Kenny Hibbitt
Clayton McDonald
Andy Rammell
Jamie Forrester
Pedro Matias
Craig Stanley

Warsul (managed by Kenny Hibbitt)

Josh Wakefeild
Andy Tilson
Gino Padula
Aaron Lescott

Att; 8450 (436 Saddlarrrss)

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:First time vistiting Bristol Rovers, can anyone recommend decent pubs for the day? I've been told The Drapers Arms, which is one of these new fangled micropub things, but that's about it?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Glo ... -2.5879261

Can't be wrong here chap. :mrgreen:

Cider Press and Bristol Flyer by the railway bridge are both pretty decent and there's a few more pubs up the road near the ground. Plenty in the city centre aswell which is only 5 minutes away.

Ah thanks mate! Bristol Flyer looks a shout too so plenty of options.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:51 pm

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:41 pm

With our new found attacking power and a defence that is starting to gel together I think we will get a narrow win. We will of course concede so either 2-1 or a 3-2 there will certainly be goals.
First visit to Memorial ground so looking forward to it, I was convincedI had been before having seen them play since leaving Eastville but must have been when at Bath.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Optimistic wrote:

That's better AM, that's the most sensible thing you have posted for a long time. :D

Only too pleased to oblige my friend, though the sources of such fabulous depths of investigative journalism from the training ground must remain a secret for all time you understand! :wink: :mrgreen:

I have a dread that Whitney may indeed still play Jackson up front tomorrow (god forbid!) stating that he has been impressed with his professionalism, application and hard work shown during this weeks training sessions!
If indeed this were to happen I believe Whitney's trouser furniture may well be surgically removed by travelling supporters with a rusty breadknife! (he has of course been known to make similar unbelievable decisions :oops: )

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm

We've not lost to these at the Mem since 1997, that's 8 matches (5 wins, 3 draws). It would be a pity to end that run, so 2-1 to the newly potent Super Saddlers.

Crowd 9,038, plus 450 of us.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Only too pleased to oblige my friend, though the sources of such fabulous depths of investigative journalism from the training ground must remain a secret for all time you understand! :wink: :mrgreen:

I have a dread that Whitney may indeed still play Jackson up front tomorrow (god forbid!) stating that he has been impressed with his professionalism, application and hard work shown during this weeks training sessions!
If indeed this were to happen I believe Whitney's trouser furniture may well be surgically removed by travelling supporters with a rusty breadknife! (he has of course been known to make similar unbelievable decisions :oops: )

We still seem to have different opinions though AM. I don't agree with travelling supporters carrying knives, rusty or not.

ObiWan7
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:10 am

Another day unfortunately sat on my arse behind a desk. Saw the boys against Oldham live but not managed to get to another one yet.

I am strangely optimistic about the team at the moment , Whitney seems to have got in some decent players for a change , Devlin looks real quality and Agyei would appear to know where the back of the net is and I am struggling to remember when we last had a top flight forward playing in the red, apart from Roberts of course , i don't include anyone from West Brom as being human i'm afraid (I know he is not a first choice and it's only Burnley , but it's still Premier League). From what my old man said , the 2-1 against Plymouth flattered the visitors and with us unbeaten in the last 4 league games we are having a better start to the season than i think most of us would have thought.

We've managed to hang onto the Turkish Messi , at least until next Year , when he will either be sold in January or he goes somewhere on a free, so if we can keep him fit it's looking good . Baka is getting better and i am quietly confident of putting pressue on the top 6 this season.

Rovers , taking away the obvious genetic problems due to inbreeding , are a decent outfit. Big crowds and like us they live in the shadow of larger more succesful neighbours , however they have had an indifferent start to the season. A win today may see us in the playoff positions , dependant on other results, anything else and we are as always "Mid table Walsall" again.

Having said all that i fancy the boys to get a result , so i am going to touch my lucky willy and go for a 2-0 away win , Goals from Chambers(He's due one surely) and Devlin , because he looks like a bit of a nasty bas*ard and i don't want to upset him if he reads this and we meet up :-)

Keep the faith
Obi

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Team is in:

Gillespie, Guthrie, Donnellan, Wilson, Leahy, Devlin, Chambers, Edwards, Oztumer, Bakayoko, Agyei.
Subs: Cuvelier, Morris, Ismail, Jackson, and the three Roberts boys.

Quite striking to compare that bench to the opening day at Bury.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

EvenFlow wrote:Team is in:

Gillespie, Guthrie, Donnellan, Wilson, Leahy, Devlin, Chambers, Edwards, Oztumer, Bakayoko, Agyei.
Subs: Cuvelier, Morris, Ismail, Jackson, and the three Roberts boys.

Quite striking to compare that bench to the opening day at Bury.

That team is good enough to finish in the top six. Time to see if we have a manager to match.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm

yes thats some subs bench,

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season