Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (H) League One, Sept 2nd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
SWS11
UTS Regular

Re: Plymouth Argyle (H) League One, Sept 2nd 3pm

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Very good result - against a master tactician, according to some :D. Only 2 off the playoffs :D .
But 4 penalties against in 5 games? And have we not had the most fouls against in each of our games so far? It was 17 - 10 today :oops: . Or was it just a pony-and-trap ref again? Remember when we were serial winners of the Fair Play Award for Powder-Puff Tackling?
Has JW put a bit of steel in there? If so, he'll have to work on the players being a bit more subtle with it (some teams seem to be really adept at getting away with it - otherwise known as fooling the ref). Perhaps somebody can show the defence the extent of the PENALTY AREA?
Those lucky enough to be able to attend regularly - have we become a bit more assertive, not to say aggressive, definitely not to say dirty ? :? Opinions please.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:20 pm

boringteacher wrote:Excellent 1st half performance - should have been 2/3 goals clear by half time. Scrappy 2nd half, but Plymouth had simply taken us down to their level imo. Good thing we got that second as the useless turd of a self-important referee was determined to really fudge up something up which he did by awarding a "penalty".

Loved seeing us playing with two strikers - Bakayoko is so much better playing alongside another forward (I don't class Jackson as one personally). The new boy was a real threat and Whitney has a tough choice on who to play up front next week. Wilson/Guthrie were outstanding at the back and either should have been MOM rather than Ozzie (great goal, but bloody wasteful with some really good possession at times).

With the players that Whitney has brought in since the first day of the season, we've nothing to fear this season.

Well....the problem with getting in so many loan players in, is that they have to go back sometime,and then you are back to square one.it could all go egg shaped after Xmas.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Very enjoyable game again

Agyei and Tyler Roberts could do well paired together looking forward to seeing that

Love watching big jimmy wilson going past defenders In the last third

Do we have momentum by any chance?

Gripper
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Deserved that - we were decent I thought!

The new lad is a handful, him and Baka made soooo many decent runs. Looking forward to seeing them together.

Leahy and Devlin continue to be revalations.

Not sure why we have signed Zeli - not saying he's cack I'm just saying I dunno why he's needed? However let's see.

Now....that away form.

Oh and my MOTM - Wilson alllll day.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:37 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Michelle Owen :P :P on Sky Sports said it is a good game.

Really?! I do get excited when they send it over to Michelle. Great to have her at the Bezzla! Light years ahead of that bloody awful Bianca Westwood.

Michelle was moaning on Twitter about Whitney delaying their interview as she has a wedding reception to go to.
All a ploy I think just to keep her in Walsall longer.

The General
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm

A decent performance and with a bit more quality and/or better decision making we would have won more convincingly.Referee should never have given a penalty I didn't know and nor did he from the angle he was at-there was no way he could be sure and the linesman who had a much better view gave nothing.
A really good win given all the circumstances-good solid displays from Kory Roberts and Algae(sorry forgotten how to spell his name)

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Yet another positive performance and excellent result. It's a good job we've gt a manager who's recruitment, planning, organisation and control of his players has produced a team that promises to deliver some excitement this season. Well done Jon Whitney :D

Current form LLWDDW

PHYSIO - DIRECT FOOTBALL :lol: :arrow: PERIOD

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:43 pm

sid swifty wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Excellent 1st half performance - should have been 2/3 goals clear by half time. Scrappy 2nd half, but Plymouth had simply taken us down to their level imo. Good thing we got that second as the useless turd of a self-important referee was determined to really fudge up something up which he did by awarding a "penalty".

Loved seeing us playing with two strikers - Bakayoko is so much better playing alongside another forward (I don't class Jackson as one personally). The new boy was a real threat and Whitney has a tough choice on who to play up front next week. Wilson/Guthrie were outstanding at the back and either should have been MOM rather than Ozzie (great goal, but bloody wasteful with some really good possession at times).

With the players that Whitney has brought in since the first day of the season, we've nothing to fear this season.

Well....the problem with getting in so many loan players in, is that they have to go back sometime,and then you are back to square one.it could all go egg shaped after Xmas.

Jesus give it a break... I bet you're fun socially...
if this is the turd you're posting after a good win and start to the season god help us. Why not just trust that he's got a plan.... we lose loanees we'll replace them.

Well done Whitney. Great win, good start to the season and looking forward to what's to come!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Soton Saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

if this is the turd you're posting after a good win and start to the season god help us. Why not just trust that he's got a plan.... we lose loanees we'll replace them.

Well done Whitney. Great win, good start to the season and looking forward to what's to come!!

It's a valid point though so wind your neck in.

Wasn't there but a fantastic win. Fair play to Whitney and the team

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:09 pm

They won't all go back....McCarthy stayed all of last season for example when a championship club could've come in last January.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 pm

scott_powell wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:

It's a valid point though so wind your neck in.

Wasn't there but a fantastic win. Fair play to Whitney and the team

Well said Scott......Take that Soton saddler.... :D :D :D

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:23 pm

The gamble of playing the game paid off, 3 points a large crowd boosted by Plymouth supporters and another cracking game.
New guy Agyei is just what we have needed for a long time a forward who goes for every ball, wins headers and can bring other payers into game.
All the team played well but special mention to Kory who slotted into back 3 well.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Good performance and a great result. Well done to Whitney and the team. A bit more quality in the final third (especially from Edwards) and we'd have been very comfy indeed.

I've seen all four pens we've conceded this season and I only think the first one at Bury was actually a pen. He guessed at today's.

Sat behind Andy Dornan for the first time at a game since Aldershot away about 29 years ago. Neither of us have changed a bit.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 pm

The goals are out there.

https://youtu.be/bMbKwBKIZLY

vorny

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Just seen on Facebook that the twerp that ran on the pitch when they scored the penalty apparently had his 8 year old son with him and he got left in the stands as he got kicked out, don't know if it true or not but that still took the shine of what I thought were a great bunch of travelling fans (1525 of em), 200 miles each way is a long way to go to watch any football game, and one of their coaches broke down on the way back :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Morris's part in the build up to the pen summed up his small cameo and indeed his season to date. Seems really low in confidence. Now the squad is fuller, I hope he can be taken out of the frontline and given a chance to regain his mojo.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Guest wrote:The goals are out there.

Thanks guest.
Penalty all day long for me....

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 pm

PT wrote:Morris's part in the build up to the pen summed up his small cameo and indeed his season to date. Seems really low in confidence. Now the squad is fuller, I hope he can be taken out of the frontline and given a chance to regain his mojo.

Totally agree with that

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 pm

vorny wrote:one of their coaches broke down on the way back :lol:

Must have been acute disappointment that the team he coaches lost out :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Really enjoyed the game today and we should have enjoyed a more comfortable win but the referee simply guessed for their penalty and they really didn't create too much of a threat overall...

Two up front with our current squad could make us a real threat this season and I hope that JW sticks with the plan to play to our strengths in the coming games for as long as possible...

It was really pleasing to see Kory have such a good game and that should do his confidence the world of good - great effort from him today.

A mention for the argyle fans too who (with the exception of the prat that ran onto the pitch after their goal) were a credit to their club..

Also, I heard a guy collapsed outside the ground at full time so hope he's ok...

Congrats to JW and the boys - very good win.. UTS

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Whitters wrote:

Thanks guest.

Well, having watched it several times in slow-mo, it was a dive. He felt a touch in the back, realised the Walsall player in front of him was going to get his head to the ball, and took the tumble. Very hard for the ref, but not a penalty. That's not to say the ref was any good - any doubt about a penalty = no penalty.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:13 pm

Watched Brizzle Rovers on the box today. Thought they looked good. Unlucky to lose to three towering set-piece headers from a big centre forward: the type of play that often gets success at this level. I hope someone from our coaching staff was watching the game. It'll be an interesting encounter next week. See you all there?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Another good win and a good team performance. Special mention to K. Roberts who showed he can play at this level. Plymouth were poor but we can only beat what is in front of us. Poor home attendance but with all the pre season negativity not surprising....time folks to get behind the team which is gelling very nicely.
A word for the referee.....no I cannot possibly use it on this family channel :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:50 pm

I have to give credit to JW here, as I wasn't calling for his head, but I was wondering what on earth he was doing a month ago.
All the loans / signings we have seen so far have certainly added to the squad.

As others have said, Wilson was outstanding today and Agyei was as good as any young debutant I have seen.
Whilst we have a lot more spine in the team, this talk of ill discipline isn't entirely fair. The penalty today was even softer than the one at Portsmouth.
The referee was a twit, but I already knew this before he started, so he didn't disappoint.

I ended exchanging a word to Michelle Owen at the end and making her smile.
I hadn't got a clue who she was, so thanks for pointing her out.
If she's off to a wedding reception, I'd certainly take her up the aisle.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 pm

Two home games on the trot we've looked good with the ball, and occasionally frail without it.

As others have mentioned Roberts was great today, needs to start in front of Donnnellenenen. Much rather see our own player grow, even if that includes learning by making mistakes, than a player we've borrowed.

Been in the camp asking for an age to play Oztumer behind a front two, it's yielded 5 goals in 120 minutes or so now. Also by playing this way, we don't look light in midfield. The squad almost has the right balance.

Notes of caution today, substitutions were dreadful, and I thought - whilst turning in good performances - our full backs looked a little leggy after an hour. We gave up on our long throw routine around this time too.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Barren Flak wrote:Two home games on the trot we've looked good with the ball, and occasionally frail without it.

As others have mentioned Roberts was great today, needs to start in front of Donnnellenenen. Much rather see our own player grow, even if that includes learning by making mistakes, than a player we've borrowed.

Been in the camp asking for an age to play Oztumer behind a front two, it's yielded 5 goals in 120 minutes or so now. Also by playing this way, we don't look light in midfield. The squad almost has the right balance.

Notes of caution today, substitutions were dreadful, and I thought - whilst turning in good performances - our full backs looked a little leggy after an hour. We gave up on our long throw routine around this time too.

Any chance of getting those little red gates round pitch unlocked for the next home game? Leahy keeps giving them a little rattle in the hope of gaining a bit more of a run up to launch a long throw.

It was definate penalty from where I was sitting. Leahy pushed him with both hands. He did make meal of going down though.

Did anyone else see Baka control the ball with a deft use of his chest from a long ball in the second half ? It was sublime. He is getting better with every game and I think this will be his breakthrough season.

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:40 am

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:20 am

Guest wrote:Channel 5

https://youtu.be/IegRGMKkazo

[youtube]https://youtu.be/IegRGMKkazo[/youtube

Blocked again by the EFL. Looks like I won't be doing any more of these.

I suppose they have iFollow to protect from these few seconds of Walsall action.

Larryhaggler1

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:22 am

I thought we were terrific 1st half. The Plymouth manager changed his shape to try and contain us - which it did 2nd half.

I agree with others Baka is improving and both the lads up top today were a real handful.

Soft penalty - and that ref blew ever time a Plymouth player dived or moaned. A shocker.

Wilson my MOM but some equally good performances from Roberts and Guthrie.
Edwards is also a unsung hero , and Oztumer has so much class and I suppose he was ultimately our match winner today.

We looked so much weaker when we bought Jackson and Morris on that I hope when the loaned players return they will go no where near the first team.

Well done to JW I can't argue with his recruitment- and if we can sort our away form we could be in for an interesting season

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 am

SWS11 wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Thanks guest.

Well, having watched it several times in slow-mo, it was a dive. He felt a touch in the back, realised the Walsall player in front of him was going to get his head to the ball, and took the tumble. Very hard for the ref, but not a penalty. That's not to say the ref was any good - any doubt about a penalty = no penalty.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NEVER a penalty in a billion years. One of the most blatant dives of all time. Didn't realise it was so gusty at the Bezla. :shock: :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season