Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Plymouth Argyle (H) League One, Sept 2nd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Plymouth Argyle (H) League One, Sept 2nd 3pm

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 am

"There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avow'd intent
To be a Pilgrim"

(John Bunyan)

We welcome Derek Adams' Plymouth Argyle side to Fortress Bescot in the hope that if there's going to be a repeat of last week's goalfest it might perhaps be 4-2, 5-1 or even 6-0 rather than 3-3. Adams has been Argyle's manager for two years now, and guided them to promotion from League Two last season. Prior to that he was responsible for some outstanding results at Ross County including a 34-match unbeaten run, getting them to the Scottish Cup Final, and winning the PFA Scotland Manager of the Year award. Life in League One, however, has been a bit up-and-down ..... current form (League only) :-

5 Aug Peterborough United (A) Lost 2-1
12 Aug Charlton Athletic (H) Won 2-0
19 Aug Southend United (A) Drew 1-1
26 Aug Scunthorpe United (H) Lost 0-4

Adams' traditional Scottish virtue of being "careful" with money has suited Argyle, who were a Company in Administration only a few years ago.In 2 years Adams has only paid one transfer fee - this was a reported £15,000 for striker Nathan Blissett, whose name may be familiar to our older members, as he is the 6ft 4in nephew of Luther Blissett. Their goalkeeper's name may also be familiar in unsavoury terms, Luke McCormick serving half of a 7-year prison sentence for his responsibility in killing two boys whilst driving over the drink drive limit. His rehabilitation has been spectacular - not only is he back playing for the club who immediately cancelled his contract at the time, he's now the club captain! One name from the first team squad who will not feature is Antoni Sarcevic - the influential midfielder was sent off against Scunthorpe for an "off the ball" incident with Paddy Maddern (reportedly a "Glasgow kiss"). A player to watch out for will be Jake Jervis, another 6ft 4in striker - he scored both goals against Charlton Athletic. He hails from Wolverhampton, while Blissett was born in West Bromwich - there's obviously talent produced from our neck of the woods!!

Jon Whitney has stated that he has chosen to fulfil this game despite having grounds to call for a postponement because of international call-ups. His reasoning is, apparently, that he has detected a positive "momentum" in the squad, and wants to maintain that continuity rather than see it interrupted. That's all very well, but what does that leave him with when he looks at team selection? The reality is that only one of last week's starting XI will be absent, in the form of Shaun Donnellan, and Kory Roberts would be the natural replacement. The available striking line-up is more worrying because although Tyler Roberts only came off the bench in the 2nd half against Bradford City his appearance coincided with a noticeable improvement in our fortunes, and had he been available for this game I think he would have been chosen to start. So JW will have to decide whether he goes for 2 up front (Bakayoko and Jackson) with Oztumer in a supply role, or reverts to Plan A with a single striker. He might not have Mitch Candlin on the bench, and he may well think it best to give Florent Cuvelier some game time and rest Kieron Morris .... as always, we will have to wait and see.

Prediction? Well, Argyle did get thumped at home by Scunthorpe (we know that feeling), but how much of that defeat was down to only having 10 men for the second half? Going along with JW's "momentum" theory I'll plump for a 2-0 home win, with Bakayoko and Edwards on target. Gillespie to save a penalty :mrgreen:

UTS :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Plymouth Argyle (H) League One, Sept 2nd 3pm

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:24 am

I will go for a win too despite our absentees........

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:49 am

if we had our full squad 2-0 as it is i expect a draw unless a signing or two is made before the deadline so 1-1 it is :)

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am

This is the most important game since Oldham. A loss here and those two draws against tough opposition mean nothing.

I'd like to see them switch back to 4 at the back like they did in pre season rather than bring K Roberts in. I like him but he's just not ready yet.

I really don't see why this wasn't postponed. I'm glad of some actual meaningful football during the international break but I'm not sure this favours us. It might only be one first teamer but you would bet T Roberts would have played this game if available too and we will have very little on the bench.

I think we will get a draw but I would normally hope for more from this game.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:26 am

Like someone has said, I think this should have been called off :| . But as it is going ahead I will say draw or a loss, we have tried the players he has as replacements and it just doesn't seem to work, the transformation Ty instigated after coming on on Saturday was fantastic, and with him in the team and a descent winger I feel that we can punch above our weight this season, but to revert back to either Baka or Jackson is just that, a backwards step. I would certainly drop Morris for cuvalier and probably go with Candlin up front in light of his call up for the England under 18's squad :D

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:45 am

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this one, concerning as a couple of players will be missing,but shouldn't trouble us too much I hope.

I'm going for a 3-1 home win.

Ozzy, Jacko and Wilson to score.

4312 on the gate.

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Are Plymouth losing anyone to international call-ups?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 pm

I'd be very impressed if we won.

1-1

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 pm

layzeedude wrote:Are Plymouth losing anyone to international call-ups?

In an interview for a Plymouth local newspaper, Derek Adams says that his side will be more depleted than Walsall's because of injuries and the suspension after last week's red card. There's no mention of any international call-up involvement, so I guess you would have to say "no".

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Apparently, we have six internationals.
That's confused me completely.
Who are they? And who is left?

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Apparently, we have six internationals.
That's confused me completely.
Who are they? And who is left?

Cockerill Mollett- Kouhyar - Roberts - Jackson? - Kinsella - Donnellan

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

In an interview for a Plymouth local newspaper, Derek Adams says that his side will be more depleted than Walsall's because of injuries and the suspension after last week's red card. There's no mention of any international call-up involvement, so I guess you would have to say "no".

Aaaaa? That may be why JW wants the game to go ahead then? Because he still thinks that with the side Adams puts out we still have the quality and depth to beat them :wink:

giglee

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 pm

chunkster wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Aaaaa? That may be why JW wants the game to go ahead then? Because he still thinks that with the side Adams puts out we still have the quality and depth to beat them :wink:

Also not a bad time to play them when they're coming off a 4-0 loss. Going for a nice and boring 1-0, getting the first clean sheet of the season and Baka to score.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Jackson doesn't appear to have been called up by Canada for their game with Jamaica.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/ ... ch-preview

The last 35 minutes against Bradford demonstrated that Ozzy playing a more withdrawn role behind two up top can be very effective. As such, I'd expect Jackson to come in for Morris, and play up top with Baka.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

[quote="EvenFlow"]Jackson doesn't appear to have been called up by Caldmore Green Rovers for their game with Birchills Jamaica Inn Wanderers. "We need players up front capable of sticking the ball in the net" their manager stated.

There, corrected that for you mate.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:17 pm

It wasn't necessarily JW's desicion -Plymouth usually bring a good following which would have been significantly reduced if it were a midweek match.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:Jackson doesn't appear to have been called up by Caldmore Green Rovers for their game with Birchills Jamaica Inn Wanderers. "We need players up front capable of sticking the ball in the net" their manager stated.

There, corrected that for you mate.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sirrammell

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 am

Watched a few of Ross County's games when Adams was in charge including the cup final, excellent tactician. We desperately need this to be a win but I predict a draw 4-4, Paul Mariner to score all 4 for the Pilgrims.

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am

WarsawPact wrote:It wasn't necessarily JW's desicion -Plymouth usually bring a good following which would have been significantly reduced if it were a midweek match.

Certainly could be a factor. From their forum: "We've sold 1200 tickets so far, I wonder if that's one of the reasons for Walsall wanting this game to be played instead of a Tuesday where they would lose income".

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Another draw on the cards here surely.

1-1.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:51 pm

I'll go for a narrow loss ??

Goalie for the day Steve Cherry

WALSALL - 2

Joe Broad
Scott Laird

PLYMOUTH - 3

Tony Barras
Adrian Littlejohn
Kevin Summerfield

Att; 5235

PT
Site Addict

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:41 pm

saddlerphil wrote:I'll go for a narrow loss ??

Goalie for the day Steve Cherry

WALSALL - 2

Joe Broad
Scott Laird

PLYMOUTH - 3

Tony Barras
Adrian Littlejohn
Kevin Summerfield

Att; 5235

See what you did there!

Given that we want to continue our current momentum, then I guess we'll be hoping for a draw. And I think we'll get one.

1-1. 4,950. Wilson for us.

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 am

:roll: so much negativity on here.... Even if just on an undertone basis....
Must win - desperate for a win - As big a game as Oldham was.

Give him a break guys.... We've done absolutely fine so far, a draw or defeat wouldn't be the end of the world.... Personally I think we've played some excellent stuff leading up to this game and will do so here too:

Walsall 3 - 1 Pilgrims

Baka
Oztumer
And one of the newbies - hopefully Ismail (sp?) - I liked the sound of him when the Ifollow commentary team were discussing the Bury game.

UTS!!! Whitters in.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:22 am

cookyskid wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:It wasn't necessarily JW's desicion -Plymouth usually bring a good following which would have been significantly reduced if it were a midweek match.

Certainly could be a factor. From their forum: "We've sold 1200 tickets so far, I wonder if that's one of the reasons for Walsall wanting this game to be played instead of a Tuesday where they would lose income".

Plymouth haven't been to Walsall for a while but that is a fantastic following, given the distance. I know that Walsall is one of their closer away games, but it's still great (we'd struggle to muster 300). I just hope we send them all home very disappointed :wink: .

1-1 draw, with Wilson for us, in front of a season high 5,291 (1,250 away)

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:44 am

Soton Saddler wrote::roll: so much negativity on here.... Even if just on an undertone basis....
Must win - desperate for a win - As big a game as Oldham was.

Give him a break guys.... We've done absolutely fine so far, a draw or defeat wouldn't be the end of the world.... Personally I think we've played some excellent stuff leading up to this game and will do so here too:

Walsall 3 - 1 Pilgrims

Baka
Oztumer
And one of the newbies - hopefully Ismail (sp?) - I liked the sound of him when the Ifollow commentary team were discussing the Bury game.

UTS!!! Whitters in.

It is must win and it is as big a game as Oldham was. That's not negative that's reality, these are the teams we should be beating.

And I never said it would be the end of the world just that a loss here would mean we have had a bad start to the season. 5 points from 15 would definitely be that.

Although I am a little more optimistic considering the deadline day deals. I was more concerned about losing Roberts than I was about losing Donnellan because I think he will just switch to 4 at the back like he did most of preseason, but either Agyei or Ismail should come in for the spot he would have had and will be raring to impress.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:47 am

killers left foot wrote:if we had our full squad 2-0 as it is i expect a draw unless a signing or two is made before the deadline so 1-1 it is :)
now saying 2-1 to us ismail and edwards :lol:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm

cookyskid wrote:

This is the most likely reason for not calling off knowing how club is run so why say it's about momentum nearly as good as saying we are not going to use loan players this season.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm

killers left foot wrote:
killers left foot wrote:if we had our full squad 2-0 as it is i expect a draw unless a signing or two is made before the deadline so 1-1 it is :)
now saying 2-1 to us ismail and edwards :lol:
And if he throws the 2 new boys into the fray on saturday i am going to change my rather unoptimistic loss or draw into a resounding win of 3-0 to us :mrgreen:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:24 am

I'd like to see us keep a clean sheet, for the first time this season.

Balls into the box going to be even more important than usual today, cut them out into ours and get plenty into theirs is the name of the game.

Predicting a head tennis deuce.

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:24 am

4-1 win.
1-0 down then Edwards, Bakayoko, Guthrie and Agyei to win it.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season