Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bradford City (H) League One, 26th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bradford City (H) League One, 26th August 3pm

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

"It was a grand upstanding bantam cock,
So brisk and stiff and spry,
With a springy step and a jaunty plume
And a purposeful look in his eye"

Jake Thackray

(The Bradford City quotation in my football book wasn't up to much, so I used the above lines from the much-missed Jake Thackray)

We welcome Stuart McCall's outfit to Fortress Bescot, where they will be hoping to extend their 100% League One away record. Having comfortably made the play-offs last season it must have been gutting to lose out in the final to Millwall, who only scraped into the top 6 by a single point, but that's football for you. City's season so far (like ours) has been a bit up-and-down - their main goalscoring threat will probably come from Dominic Poleon, a familiar face to us from previous encounters. One player who may well be absent is captain Romain Vincelot, who was sent off in the EFL defeat against Doncaster Rovers. Form......

5 Aug Blackpool (H) League One, Won 2-1
8 Aug Doncaster Rovers (H) EFL Cup, Lost 2-3
12 Aug Gillingham (A) League One, Won 0-1
19 Aug Blackburn Rovers (H) League One, Lost 0-1

On balance, it's fair to say that our performances have been "better than expected", with the usual caveat of stressing the need for a proven striker and/or winger in what remains of the transfer window. Perhaps one might emerge from the behind-the-doors friendly being played today against our friends from Sloppyland - we will have to wait and see. Meanwhile Jon Whitney has certainly made a positive move this week in getting Mitchel Candlin's signature to a 3-year contract after a handful of first team appearances. Through the rest of the team there would seem to be a more fundamental "spine" than was seen a few months ago, and it's evident that we're not going to get pushed around - and if we do end up on the receiving end we're likely to respond in kind ... the only snag then is the conduct of the occasional card-happy referee, and 4 bookings in one game could make team selection tricky a few weeks from now if JW is deprived of some of his regulars.

Predictions at the start of the season are always a bit hit-and-miss with no real form to take as a guide - not many people would have forecast City to lose at home last weekend against rock-bottom Blackburn Rovers for example. However, since I got the Portsmouth result right (why didn't I use that in the Prediction League!!!) I'll go for a 2-1 home win, with Turkish Messi and Amadou Bakayoko getting a goal each.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Bradford City (H) League One, 26th August 3pm

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:45 am

Anything less than a home win and my avatar stays as it is.Whitney's not getting off the hook for one away draw.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:13 pm

First live game of the season.

Looking at Bradford's line up last few games and don't think it's as strong an 11 as they've had in the last few season particularly upfront and no Hanson!

Think it will be the same as last year, 1-1.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 pm

We don't look like we are bullied so easily as we were last season, and in particular that is the way Bradford play, so i am going for a draw which if it comes off is quite a result against them :)

sirrammell

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:30 am

Going for 1-1.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 am

A draw (1-1) for me too, with our top striker OG getting our goal to draw level in the 2nd minute of extra time to save the day, possession 24%/75% (the ref stealing the extra 1%) shots on target 2/22. Gillespie playing a blinder. Jackson taking a nap just over the half way line having failed to touch the ball once. He replaces Baky who forgot his shorts and was made to play in his pants and slippers by Sg.Major Whitney, fell over lots, got pushed off the ball by one of our ballboys and cried a lot. :wink:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 am

1-1 for me..

I don't see us losing to many with this defence , however can we score the goals to put teams away? questionable..

UTS

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:24 am

Another one I'd take a draw from after Pompey. Bradford will be near the reckoning for playoffs at the end of the season and are a tough team to beat. 5 points from 9 playing Oldham at home Portsmouth away and Bradford at home would be par for the course I reckon.

If we lose though you'd have to say it's been a bad start.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:30 am

El_Nombre wrote:Another one I'd take a draw from after Pompey. Bradford will be near the reckoning for playoffs at the end of the season and are a tough team to beat. 5 points from 9 playing Oldham at home Portsmouth away and Bradford at home would be par for the course I reckon.

It will be 5 from 12..

7 / 12 after the first four would be promising given the way we could of won at Portsmouth.

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:51 am

I am going for a 4-3 result (bookings that is) The end game could well be 1-1

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:34 am

Whaleoilbeefhooked wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Another one I'd take a draw from after Pompey. Bradford will be near the reckoning for playoffs at the end of the season and are a tough team to beat. 5 points from 9 playing Oldham at home Portsmouth away and Bradford at home would be par for the course I reckon.

It will be 5 from 12..

7 / 12 after the first four would be promising given the way we could of won at Portsmouth.

No I know that but I didn't list Bury. I don't think you are ever happy with a loss but away on the opening day at Bury was always going to be tough, I was talking about the form since.

Maybe I should have added "If we lose though you'd have to say it's been a bad start, especially with losing to Bury on the opening day".

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

I'd snatch your hand off for a draw to be fair. Think it'll end 0-2.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:50 pm

2-1 to Walsall. 2nd goal from our new superstar striker.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:44 pm

I will join OPTIMISTIC and go for a 2-0 win.UTS

SWS11
UTS Regular

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:59 pm

I'll go for a battling 0 - 0 draw with Jackson scoring (after the game, obviously). :lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 am

SWS11 wrote:I'll go for a battling 0 - 0 draw with Jackson scoring (after the game, obviously). :lol:

:lol:

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:05 am

I was going to agree that 1-1 is on the cards but just seen JW latest effort to spur on the competition in advance of a game by stating we have growing belief in the team generally but then stating 'we are determined they will leave with nothing'!!

I hope I'm wrong but generally when that happens things go pear shaped so on that basis, it's more than likely he's put the brakes on recent improvements so I'll reluctantly go for a 1-2 :roll:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:16 am

Walsall 3 - 0 Bradford. The Bantams to be swotted aside like a fly.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 am

We'll nick a draw, 1-1, with Oztumer for us.

Crowd: 4,842 (796 away).

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:11 pm

I'll go for a dull close game at 5-4.

Walsall

Goalie: Andy Petterson

Neil Tolson
Lee Sinnott
Jamie Lawrence
Rob Steiner
Jordie Hiwula

Bradford

Goalie: Mark Prudue

Kevin Wilson
Gus Unlenbeek
Kevin Toner
Steve Claridge

Crowd: 4976 (879 from up 't north)

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:40 pm

3 - 1 to the saddlers.

Oztumer, Edwards and Roberts.

UTS!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Would like to come down for this one, but regret 7 hours sat on a parking lot to get to the Midlands and back via the M6 is more than I can bear twice in one week! The solid three lane gridlock between 16 & 19 will be released early March 2019!!!!!!!!!! Glad I don't commute that journey....would have to do it in the early hours to avoid such fun!

Give 'em a shout for me lads, still think it will end 1-1 though. Would love to see a better result, and would be great to see a real striker up front at last....come on me babbies............... UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Would like to come down for this one, but regret 7 hours sat on a parking lot to get to the Midlands and back via the M6 is more than I can bear twice in one week! The solid three lane gridlock between 16 & 19 will be released early March 2019!!!!!!!!!! Glad I don't commute that journey....would have to do it in the early hours to avoid such fun!

Give 'em a shout for me lads, still think it will end 1-1 though. Would love to see a better result, and would be great to see a real striker up front at last....come on me babbies............... UTS
yo gora loff at the wisdom of highways england who are putting in the SMART MOTORWAY section on the M6, we copied it from the American system that they have had for years, where if you hit one of the concrete bollards you skidded along it and not flip over like the old metal barriers. Great but for the fact that if you hit it at the wrong angle you just bounce back onto the motorway causing more mayhem from the traffic behind you?. So the yanks are going back to the metal barriers while we spend millions on the system they are now taking out :lol: so just go shopping so just take the wife to the Trafford centre AM :mrgreen:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 am

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Would like to come down for this one, but regret 7 hours sat on a parking lot to get to the Midlands and back via the M6 is more than I can bear twice in one week! The solid three lane gridlock between 16 & 19 will be released early March 2019!!!!!!!!!! Glad I don't commute that journey....would have to do it in the early hours to avoid such fun!

yo gora loff at the wisdom of highways england who are putting in the SMART MOTORWAY section on the M6, we copied it from the American system that they have had for years, where if you hit one of the concrete bollards you skidded along it and not flip over like the old metal barriers. Great but for the fact that if you hit it at the wrong angle you just bounce back onto the motorway causing more mayhem from the traffic behind you?. So the yanks are going back to the metal barriers while we spend millions on the system they are now taking out :lol: so just go shopping so just take the wife to the Trafford centre AM :mrgreen:

Ask Henri Paul Dodi Fayed and Diana about concrete bollards.There is simply no give in them only bounce back.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:58 am

Poor taste NSD, you need to move away from those dingles.

UTS Legend

Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 am

40,000 feet in the air on my way back to HK. This should be my first game watching on iFollow. 2-0 to the Saddlers.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:10 am

Optimistic wrote:2-1 to Walsall. 2nd goal from our new superstar striker.

Well I got the one prediction right he just needs to score if he plays, now for the other.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:35 am

Optimistic wrote:Poor taste NSD, you need to move away from those dingles.

Newport is a wash with orange and black since they started their campaign for the premier league,I hope it all works out for them. :twisted:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 am

Feeling reasonably good about this one.

1-1 draw, maybe more.

windowman
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:30 pm

roberts ,roberts and roberts on the bench

Next