Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Portsmouth (A) League One, 19th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Portsmouth (A) League One, 19th August 3pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 am

"To see great Pompey pass" (Shakespeare)

One for the culture vultures there - I'm aiming to put up references to all our opponents as we play them, but I confess to plagiarism straight away ... I recently unearthed a book published in 1958 at the point where Divisions III and IV were being created, and the quotes will come from that work. There shouldn't be any copyright issues in view of its age, and the author passed away in 1986 anyway. Anyone guess what his Walsall quote is?????

On to Portsmouth, who started this season on the crest of a wave having been promoted as Champions of League 2 - and their first game in league One saw them dispose of Rochdale 2-0, only to come down to earth with a bump last Saturday at the hands of Oxford United. Injury and other problems are already creeping in - the Rochdale game saw them lose on-loan defender Tareiq Holmes-Dennis in the first half, and he is reportedly out for the rest of the season. It's also said that Portsmouth will have to pay parent club Huddersfield the agreed contribution to his wages even though he's ruled out of action. The substitute who took his place (Jamal Lowe) was shown a straight red card in the 2nd half by referee Lee Probert. If they carry on at this rate they may have to call on the services of Milan Lalkovic - still on their books according to Wiki..... Current form for Portsmouth:-

Aug 5 Rochdale (H) League One, Won 2-0
Aug 8 Cardiff City (A) EFL Cup, Lost 2-1
Aug 12 Oxford United (A) League One, Lost 3-0

My historical reference book comments that Portsmouth "have never been relegated" - which was true in 1958 but things have changed since then, including their ownership. Former Disney chief executive Michael Eisner's company has completed the takeover, so perhaps their playing kit will evolve into Mickey Mouse lookalikes, who knows? Current manager is our old friend Kenny Jackett, who signed a 2-year contract earlier this year - he will no doubt recall that when he was manager at the Custard Factory the new owners moved in ... and four days later showed him the door.

The phrase "on the crest of a wave" could well apply to Jon Whitney and his happy band after their 2nd half showing against Oldham Athletic last weekend - the transformation from a languid first half has been attributed to Whitney's half-time team talk, and we can only hope that he takes whatever it was he put in their cuppas to Fratton Park, because our away form hasn't yet been blessed with many positive aspects of our new "direct" play. At the time of writing there is still no sign of a mega-striker joining us, so all we can do is hope that the squad don't have a collective "bad day at the office". Flo Cuvelier may be back in contention if he has overcome a reported virus (I still manage to smile at the memory of seeing his name in the Bournemouth (A) programme a few years ago ... he was listed as "Florence Cuvelier").

Prediction? Well, in this new age of whipped-in corners, long throws, and defenders who are prepared to leap, salmon-like, in our attacking set pieces, I'd be tempted to go for an away win. Having said that, I still think it's being slightly optimistic if I forecast a 1-1 draw ... the atmosphere at Fratton Park will go a long way towards motivating the Pompey team (attendance against Rochdale was in excess of 18,000), and I'll be happy with a draw - Bakayoko to do the necessary, his left foot having received a severe talking-to after the Oldham Athletic game.

UTS :D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Portsmouth (A) League One, 19th August 3pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:02 am

Another excellent pre-match profile.

First game of the season for me, almost couldn't get me and my 4 non Walsall supporting mates tickets due to Pompey selling out and my Southampton post code.
No one supports Pompey in Southampton I noted to the ticket office lady.

Anyhow, looking forward to this. Reports from match goers is we've looked decent all around the pitch (just lacking firepower), the players know what Whitters wants from them and I'm feeling confident.

Pompey 1 - 2 Walsall (Leahy rocket, Jackson). Pompey to score late but never really get going.

Hopefully won't get beaten up on the walk back to the station.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:56 am

Yes another great post WELSH........I cannot think of a Shakespearian Walsall quote but I think Henry's speech before AGINCOURT might be just what is needed before we go on the pitch in front of 18,000!!!!! "That he which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart....." seems really appropriate.
Anyway I think we will get a draw as I was heartened by our defensive performance las Saturday. 1-1 will do nicely.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am

Pretty sure that if Pompey had never been relegated in 1958, Walsall had never been relegated nor promoted at that time.

I recall our 2-1 Fourth Division win there in 79/80ish in front of 21,000 fans - Tony Macken(!) and Alan Buckley(pen) with the goals.

I'll go for the same score and scorers this time.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Walsallone wrote:Yes another great post WELSH........I cannot think of a Shakespearian Walsall quote but I think Henry's speech before AGINCOURT might be just what is needed before we go on the pitch in front of 18,000!!!!! "That he which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart....." seems really appropriate.
Anyway I think we will get a draw as I was heartened by our defensive performance las Saturday. 1-1 will do nicely.

It doesn't have to be Shakespeare........ the actual quote used is by a Bristolian poet who was expelled from Westminster School :wink:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:11 pm

We are getting a bit obscure now...well too obscure for me. I cannot even name the poet let alone any of his words....... :) I bet though it has something to do with our nick name rather than the Town itself....

sirrammell

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:38 pm

My attempt to enter the poetry/literature theme:

We’ll play poorly in the first half,
Booed off with no wave of the scarf,
A scream from a bald head,
The players well led,
They’ll score four,
And enter Saddler’s folklore.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Is It this one, Tone?

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Nope .... and the quotation does have a connection to a fantastic Walsall achievement in years gone by - no more clues now, but I'll post the quote later this evening if nobody's got it :D

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Walsallone wrote:We are getting a bit obscure now...well too obscure for me. I cannot even name the poet let alone any of his words....... :) I bet though it has something to do with our nick name rather than the Town itself....

Nah ... not in the same parish, young sir. I bet if chester-saddler was still active he would know it :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Pretty sure that if Pompey had never been relegated in 1958, Walsall had never been relegated nor promoted at that time.

I recall our 2-1 Fourth Division win there in 79/80ish in front of 21,000 fans - Tony Macken(!) and Alan Buckley(pen) with the goals.

I'll go for the same score and scorers this time.

I would imagine that the reason Walsall had never been relegated by 1958 would be that in our history to that date we had nowhere to be relegated to ... always occupying the lowest tier (Division II when there were only 2 divisions, and Divisions III (South) and (North)) resulted in our applying for re-election. Being chucked out of the League in those days was a rarity, because the Chairmen of the other League clubs adopted the "old pals act" and voted to retain the unfortunate club finishing bottom (usually us!!).

Mind you, our attendances in those far-off days helped - even though we finished bottom in successive years, our home gate averaged around 12,500 !!!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:42 pm

sirrammell wrote:My attempt to enter the poetry/literature theme:

The players well led,
They’ll score four,

I fear at Portsmouth Away
They'll be looking to bounce back
from their defeat on Saturday
When they played completely cack

I'd happily take a draw
But I fear we maybe put through the mill
It will probably stick in my craw
But I reckon we will lose two nil

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:57 pm

This one from Robert Southey could be describing this site Welsh :lol:

, "Welcome to these realms,
These regions of Despair! O thou whose steps
By Grief conducted to these sad abodes
Have pierced; welcome, welcome to this gloom
Eternal, to this everlasting night,
Where never morning darts the enlivening ray,
Where never shines the sun, but all is dark,

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

saddla wrote:This one from Robert Southey could be describing this site Welsh :lol:

, "Welcome to these realms,
These regions of Despair! O thou whose steps
By Grief conducted to these sad abodes
Have pierced; welcome, welcome to this gloom
Eternal, to this everlasting night,
Where never morning darts the enlivening ray,
Where never shines the sun, but all is dark,

50% mark for you saddla ..... right poet, but different poem :wink:

The quote I have is much more optimistic in its reference !!

Gripper
Glitterati

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:14 pm

No idea what to expect, right old trek to get there too.

0-0.

giglee

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:23 pm

Frailty, thy name is Flo.

Tough one to call. I'm going with a 1-1, Wilson set-piece goal.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 pm

I am going 0-1, pompey haven't felt their feet yet in a new division where the football is a better quality, our defence seems to be gelling and our second half performance against oldham was heartwarming, and i think that pompey ain't much better in quality than oldham, the only thing i hope for is a decent ref with the home crowd being very large and very vocal :wink:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

One thing guaranteed - John Portsmouth FC Westwood will be there ringing his bell.

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Tattooed cockerney fudge. :roll: :arrow: PERIOD

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 pm

OK - the "Walsall" quote used by the book's author comes from Southey's poem "The Battle of Blenheim" (verse 6) .......

"Everybody said" quoth he,
"That 'twas a famous victory"

No prizes for identifying the event referred to - I expect Pedagogue would know, as he would have been there..... :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:OK - the "Walsall" quote used by the book's author comes from Southey's poem "The Battle of Blenheim" (verse 6) .......

"Everybody said" quoth he,
"That 'twas a famous victory"

No prizes for identifying the event referred to - I expect Pedagogue would know, as he would have been there..... :mrgreen:
arsenal?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Arsenal, indeed....... :D

As the book's author says, in a footnote on the Walsall page - "This is rightly regarded as one of the greatest 'giant killing' feats in Cup history, Walsall at the time being a Third Division club and Arsenal League Champions and the most powerful side in England." He then goes on to say that in the 1890's the two clubs met regularly, playing in the same League (Division 2), and Walsall were winners on 6 occasions. :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Arsenal, indeed....... :D

As the book's author says, in a footnote on the Walsall page - "This is rightly regarded as one of the greatest 'giant killing' feats in Cup history, Walsall at the time being a Third Division club and Arsenal League Champions and the most powerful side in England." He then goes on to say that in the 1890's the two clubs met regularly, playing in the same League (Division 2), and Walsall were winners on 6 occasions. :wink:

Yes. Arsenal were the original Franchise club. Moved away from its traditional home to a place where at the time would have been very difficult to get to for their original fan base and then allegedly brought their way in to the top tier. A place they have held ever since.

As for Saturday, I'm going. I suspect I'll see us lose 2-0. Might go and look at that big boat if it is still there too.

The home ends are sold out so it should be a cracking atmosphere.

sirrammell

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 am

El_Nombre wrote:
sirrammell wrote:My attempt to enter the poetry/literature theme:

The players well led,
They’ll score four,

I fear at Portsmouth Away
They'll be looking to bounce back
from their defeat on Saturday
When they played completely cack

I'd happily take a draw
But I fear we maybe put through the mill
It will probably stick in my craw
But I reckon we will lose two nil

:D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 am

Gripper wrote:No idea what to expect, right old trek to get there too.

0-0.

Your are right about the treck , I was down there last weekend and Saturday is currently the main change over day for Holiday makers.

It took me 6 hrs to get down to Bournemouth so Saddlers fans leave yourself plenty of time.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

I'm going today :D
going to have a look round pompey as it's years since I spent any time there.

ps we're gonna win 0-3 :D

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 am

Me and a pal are heading down from London.

2-1 to us... Ozzy and one of the new giants at the back from a corner.

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 pm

1-2 Bako and a 90 minute special from Ozzy!

buttssadler

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 am

I am going for a 2 -0 win I have a feeling we might just win right time to play em thay are just finding there way abig leap from L2 to L1 inmo

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 am

Didn't they get beat 3-0 on Saturday? I can't believe for one minute that in front of K20+ baying fanatical fans they will let themselves get beaten at home by little old Worsul!

(wish we could entertain the thought of K20 fans fighting to get through the turnstiles at the Banks's's', they have to oil the turnstiles regularly cus they rust from non use.............now if that were Wembley, Ahem....................)

2-0 to Pompey, with us ending up lucky to get nil! can't see us starting an away surge yet.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season