Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic, League One 12th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Oldham Athletic, League One 12th August 3pm

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Jon Whitney isn't blessed with a surfeit of hair, but that doesn't seem to worry him - but the hair that should concern him is the anecdotal one from which is suspended his personal "Sword of Damocles" because that particular hair has definitely started to fray, and only a thumpingly convincing 3 points against Oldham Athletic on Saturday will help to nourish it in any way. At the moment the sword is poised above his quivering torso as he lies strapped to the Physiotherapist's table! The rumour mill and the grapevine have left many people in no doubt that there are fundamental inadequacies in his managerial make-up - dissatisfied players, lack of Board support, tactical naivety, disparaging (and contradictory) public statements, take your pick.

Bearing all that in mind, it's reassuring that those sentiments are very nearly mirrored by supporters of Oldham Athletic regarding their manager John Sheridan. Appointed for his 5th (yes, 5th) spell as Oldham's manager in January this year he guided them to a 17th place finish, but it has to be said that the team's statistics were remarkable ... Oldham scored the fewest goals in League One last season (by a country mile) - to score 31 goals in 46 games takes some doing, specially when you think that even the execrable Coventry City found the net 37 times. Even more interestingly, Oldham's defence conceded only 44 goals, which was better than runaway leaders Sheffield United. The striking options have been enhanced by their signings of Courtney Duffus (from Everton) and Belgian Gyamfi Kyeremeh (from Eintracht Braunschweig II), but last season's ever-present goalkeeper Connor Ripley is back at his parent club Middlesbrough, so Ben Wilson is at present between the sticks, on a 6-month loan from Cardiff City. Defensively, of course, the Latics have the waistline of Anthony Gerrard at their disposal and there must be a significant amount of tactical nous at Boundary Park, as they released Michael Ngoo in the close season.....

The displeasure of Oldham's fans is largely due to the disappointing start they've made (like ourselves) -

Aug 4 Oxford United (H) League One, Lost 0-2
Aug 9 Burton Albion (H) Carabao Cup, Lost 2-3

Burton Albion followed the same pattern as Sheffield United did against us, in making wholesale changes from their recognised first team. The opening defeat against Oxford United saw only 2 shots on target from Oldham .... now which other team plays for 90 minutes and only has 2 shots on target??? John Sheridan, of course, has his own particular niche in football management - not many guys have been awarded 5-match touchline bans, or been sacked for "gross misconduct", but no doubt he will be on his best behaviour at Fortress Banks's.

So - what will JW's approach be for Saturday? His options are limited, it has to be said, in that although the defence will probably pick itself it's up front that the major headache becomes a full-blown migraine. Bakayoko has to be first choice because he has demonstrated his ability, but Simeon Jackson appears to be nothing more than a passenger (and an offside one at that). There's no talk of any kind of contract for Matty Fryatt yet, and he's nowhere near match fitness. Wingers? Simple - we haven't got any. Square pegs in round holes.........

Prediction? From what I have seen, and it's only from an armchair, we've been very unlucky (Copyright JW), and sooner or later there has to come a game where the opposition doesn't get the benefit of outrageous rebounds and extremely fortunate deflections - in the hope that Saturday will provide such opposition I will venture to suggest a 3-1 home win, with Bakayoko and Oztumer scoring before half time, and Candlin coming on in the 72nd minute to score with his first touch. :D

UTS!!!!!!!!!

sirrammell

Re: Oldham Athletic, League One 12th August 3pm

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:27 pm

1-1, Oztumer penalty again. Whitney to get another week in the job with more questions than answers.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Kouyar won the penalty last night. That's more than Morris has done the entire time since Shrewsbury. Give him a go.

One nil Walsall ... please!?!?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

A very important game....have we got the confidence, skill and guts to win it? I hope so as Oldham will probably be also rans in the League(like us at the minute).I will go for a 1-0 victory.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Too important to lose.

Walsall 1-0 Oldham

Bakayoko to score.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:24 pm

1-1 banker, ours from an own goal of course.
Fury erupting from the lower & middle 'floors to go' stand, directed toward the dugout and the Board....which one will wilt first?
Go on Whitney....fall on your sword for everyone's sake.....
We need a fresh approach, the current one ain't working.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:37 pm

0-1.

Times are dire when I'm predicting defeats and AM is going for a draw. :D

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:20 am

Think we'll scrape a win as Whitney seems to have a knack of pulling a result from somewhere just as the pressure is heating up.

It won't be easy on the eye, but I'm going for a 2-1 victory with another Oztumer penalty and Wilson to score against his former club.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will win this one, there is to much pressure on Witney not to.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Oldham have a squad every bit as threadbare as ours, so if we lose this we really are in trouble.

I think we'll get a point from a 1-1 draw, but that's about the limit of my expectations.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Not often there is a relegation 6 pointer 2nd game of the season but I'll go for a 1.0 win ..Devlin.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Nailed on draw, with a dazzling cornucopia of football goodness and excitement.

So, 0-0.

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:30 pm

2-2 and another quote from JW along the lines of: 'I can't fault the commitment from the lads and we dominated the game for 70 minutes but must learn to be more disciplined from set pieces'....

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:44 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Nailed on draw, with a dazzling cornucopia of football goodness and excitement.

So, 0-0.

From the opening synopsis above, it looks like Oldham are as toothless as us, so 0-0 looks the obvious score....so I'll go a bit left-field and say 3-1 to the mighty Reds. It will be the start of a 5-match winning streak that will take us to the top of the table.

giglee

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:24 pm

2-0 win, baka and ozzy with the goals. Can't wait to see the super saddlers for the first time this season :D

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 pm

We am gonna win 4-0 :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:42 pm

Ok i will go 2-0 to us :)

PT
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 pm

Looking forward to it - as always. Don't get why, after decades of supporting us and seeing us be more rubbish than good, some have decided they don't fancy it anymore.

Anyway. I'm with Saigon. 0-0. Not a lot happening but both managers to be happy with a "we could/should have won that, but we're off the mark with a good clean sheet and we will build from that".

All the lads and lasses all had smiling faces.

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 pm

saddlertd wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Nailed on draw, with a dazzling cornucopia of football goodness and excitement.

So, 0-0.

From the opening synopsis above, it looks like Oldham are as toothless as us, so 0-0 looks the obvious score....so I'll go a bit left-field and say 3-1 to the mighty Reds. It will be the start of a 5-match winning streak that will take us to the top of the table.

I have some cracking pills that will bring you down from that cloud in no time at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And remember Bradford feature in that 5 match run!! :( :( :(

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:30 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

So, 0-0.

I have some cracking pills that will bring you down from that cloud in no time at all! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bradford winless at Bescot since October 2013.... :wink:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
saddlertd wrote:

So, 0-0.

Bradford winless at Bescot since October 2013.... :wink:

Feel sure I remember those awful vertical stripes celebrating more recently than that, but if you've checked I'll accept that, until the next fixture that is! :lol: :lol:

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

1-0 with Devlin late on.

giglee

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Line-up:
Gillespie,

Devlin, Wilson, Donnellan, Guthrie, Leahy,

Chambers, Edwards, Morris,

Oztumer, Bakayoko

3 at the back, Donnellan straight in.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Will be watching Soccer Saturday from a bar in Costa Teguise with a Blues fan and a Villa fan hoping the Saddlers don't let me down. Think we will win this 2-0, more so to Oldham's shitness rather than our brilliance. Bakka and Ozzy to score.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Substitutes: Roberts, Roberts, Kouhyar, Jackson, Kinsella, Sangha, Oliver.

So ... O'Connor still injured (?), and no place on the bench for Flanagan, or Preston (negotiations on-going?), or Candlin (injured?)

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 pm

1-2

A set piece bracketed by two defensive lapses.

Evo to miss all goals while looking for chips, and only finding beer.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Early goal in the West Country ... Bristol Rovers 0 Peterborough Utd 1 (5 min)

.... and AFC Wimbledon 0 Shrewsbury Town 1

Blackpool 1 M K Dons 0

Rotherham Utd 3 Southend Utd 0 :shock:

Gillingham 0 Bradford City 1

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Substitutes: Roberts, Roberts, Kouhyar, Jackson, Kinsella, Sangha, Oliver.

So ... O'Connor still injured (?), and no place on the bench for Flanagan, or Preston (negotiations on-going?), or Candlin (injured?)

My word, that's an impressive bench alright, will have the rest of the 3rd Division quaking in their boots! :?

1/4 hour mark and still 0-0 the title is ours!!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 pm

There you go .... Walsall 0 Oldham Athletic 1 (31 min) :( :( :(

According to the Beeb - Oldham's goal was from a difficult angle, long range........... (Gillespie positioning?)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:34 pm

See you later Whitney.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season