Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic, League One 12th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Re: Oldham Athletic, League One 12th August 3pm

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:What we need to remember too is that Oztumer is extremely limited with certain physical attributes. If both us and Bradford after the 15/16 season had offered him the same deal I am confident he'd come to us even with Bradford being the bigger club of the two. Yes money trumps all but our style of play would have certainly been a major factor.

The style Whitney inherited is perfect for Oztumer to showcase his talents and move on with his career. Oztumer isn't stupid.

No, no, no, it means nothing and apparently we still pass the ball around like it's 2015... The amount of 'keep the ball on the deck' shouts from the upper tier in the first half on Saturday shows how we've changed.

I've literally never said that. Not even once...

If we are listening to the upper deck for footballing advice we really are in trouble. We hardly hoofed the ball around all half.

Yes we did, it was a typical Whitney performance. Boring, negative and long-ball.

Second-half was a different story.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:50 am

Tom_1992 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:
scott_powell wrote:What we need to remember too is that Oztumer is extremely limited with certain physical attributes. If both us and Bradford after the 15/16 season had offered him the same deal I am confident he'd come to us even with Bradford being the bigger club of the two. Yes money trumps all but our style of play would have certainly been a major factor.

The style Whitney inherited is perfect for Oztumer to showcase his talents and move on with his career. Oztumer isn't stupid.

No, no, no, it means nothing and apparently we still pass the ball around like it's 2015... The amount of 'keep the ball on the deck' shouts from the upper tier in the first half on Saturday shows how we've changed.

If we are listening to the upper deck for footballing advice we really are in trouble. We hardly hoofed the ball around all half.

Yes we did, it was a typical Whitney performance. Boring, negative and long-ball.

You watched a different game to me then, which explains a lot. Boring? Yes. Slow? Yes. Long ball? Nope.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 am

Still slow and boring then? The exact opposite to Smith in 2015.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
Tom_1992 wrote:

You watched a different game to me then, which explains a lot. Boring? Yes. Slow? Yes. Long ball? Nope.

Fair enough you saw the game differently. The 4 others I went to the game with, and those around me, all commented on how the direct nature of our play was hampering us.

Maybe the vantage point in the Upper makes a difference... :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:54 am

scott_powell wrote:Still slow and boring then? The exact opposite to Smith in 2015.

Yep absolutely. Never at any point argued that the style now is better than it was.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:57 am

Tom_1992 wrote:
Fair enough you saw the game differently. The 4 others I went to the game with, and those around me, all commented on how the direct nature of our play was hampering us.

Maybe the vantage point in the Upper makes a difference... :D

I was in the upper lol and I never heard one of those shouts. I also took people with me who never once mentioned long ball football. Weird that. Maybe we can keep playing completely pointless, unproven and anonymous top trumps until the cows come home but I'm talking about my opinion, not the other how many thousands that were there.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:19 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Still slow and boring then? The exact opposite to Smith in 2015.

Yep absolutely. Never at any point argued that the style now is better than it was.

Nothing to do with being better or worse. You said the style hadn't shifted enough in regards to Oztumer but now you are almost agreeing it has. Slow, boring football doesn't suit Oztumer. Quick 1-2's, clever through balls and quick breaks are what Oztumer thrives on. Under Whitney we don't see enough of this. Under Smith we did.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:32 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Nothing to do with being better or worse. You said the style hadn't shifted enough in regards to Oztumer but now you are almost agreeing it has. Slow, boring football doesn't suit Oztumer. Quick 1-2's, clever through balls and quick breaks are what Oztumer thrives on. Under Whitney we don't see enough of this. Under Smith we did.

That's not the style though that's the execution. Lethargic build up and "being boring" aren't styles of football. Whitney doesn't go out on to the training pitch and shout "right lads, this week we are going to be slow and boring!" and he certainly doesn't say it to potential targets.

That's a failure of execution and coaching, granted that's Whitney's fault. The style barely changed second half but the speed and so on did completely. It's not like we went from hoofing balls to playing like Barcelona. Amazingly Tom seems to genuinely believe that we did and also thinks players would be actively turned off coming here that the style of play is so drastic. I can't see that happening personally. If you offer people money they will come, it really is that simple.

Pointing to quotes after players sign is about as reliable as a 1970's Ford Cortina. I suppose Robbie Keane really was a big Leeds United, Liverpool, Wolves and LA Galaxy fan when he was a kid.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:38 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

That's not the style though that's the execution. Lethargic build up and "being boring" aren't styles of football. Whitney doesn't go out on to the training pitch and shout "right lads, this week we are going to be slow and boring!" and he certainly doesn't say it to potential targets.

That's a failure of execution and coaching, granted that's Whitney's fault. The style barely changed second half but the speed and so on did completely. It's not like we went from hoofing balls to playing like Barcelona. Amazingly Tom seems to genuinely believe that we did and also thinks players would be actively turned off coming here that the style of play is so drastic. I can't see that happening personally. If you offer people money they will come, it really is that simple.

Pointing to quotes after players sign is about as reliable as a 1970's Ford Cortina. I suppose Robbie Keane really was a big Leeds United, Liverpool, Wolves and LA Galaxy fan when he was a kid.

You're just splitting hairs now and I completely disagree. Styles have knock on effects and Whitney style of play means we play slower football. If he were to adopt a style of play Smith used the play would be naturally quicker. It's as simple as that.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

You're just splitting hairs now and I completely disagree. Styles have knock on effects and Whitney style of play means we play slower football. If he were to adopt a style of play Smith used the play would be naturally quicker. It's as simple as that.

How am I? And I completely disagree that the style has gone from Barcelona to hoofball. I've said, over and over, that it's not exactly the same and yes, obviously, it was better executed under Smith (but apparently saying something is executed better is just splitting hairs) but some people want to pretend we play like some pub team now when realistically that is far from the case considering the rest of the league.

Splitting hairs by having the temerity to disagree I assume.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:02 pm

You're splitting hairs because the style of play has a direct effect on what is executed on the pitch!! Italian football is naturally slower than the English game. Is that down to execution or style of play and tactics?? It's absolutely the style of play. It's the exactly same with managers and their philosophy's.

And I never said it had gone from Barcelona to hoofball so you can do one on that.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Can you 2 please get a room and stop bothering the rest of us with pointless point scoring! :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:06 pm

saddla wrote:Can you 2 please get a room and stop bothering the rest of us with pointless point scoring! :mrgreen:

Thought it was a decent debate to be honest ... No point scoring from me.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:08 pm

The style of play and mentality has completely changed to that of 2015 , back then we set up with wingers and took the game to the opposition from the off. Now we set up with wing backs (not wingers) so naturally you play more football in your own half or on the break. Obviously wing backs can be classed as an attacking formation but with our lack of flair and creativity in midfield it will never be the case.

Also First half we did play a lot of long balls with Guthrie being one of the main culprits constantly trying to hit the channels. But this is where my frustration lies with Baka some of these were good balls but his lack of work rate made them look pointless hoofs.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm

scott_powell wrote:You're splitting hairs because the style of play has a direct effect on what is executed on the pitch!! Italian football is naturally slower than the English game. Is that down to execution or style of play and tactics?? It's absolutely the style of play. It's the exactly same with managers and their philosophy's.

And I never said it had gone from Barcelona to hoofball so you can do one on that.

Except I'm not spitting hairs because I'm arguing the exact opposite of what you are saying is true. That it doesn't matter what style of play you have it can be executed poorly, slowly, be boring etc etc. That tempo isn't dictated by your style of play.

Ok so Italian football is played slowly. Does that mean they all have the same style of play? They all play more direct football than their English counterparts? It must do if you naturally play slower football the more direct you play.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

scott_powell wrote:
saddla wrote:Can you 2 please get a room and stop bothering the rest of us with pointless point scoring! :mrgreen:

Thought it was a decent debate to be honest ... No point scoring from me.

Same to be fair. In all fairness if I didn't enjoy the debate I just wouldn't respond :)

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:You're splitting hairs because the style of play has a direct effect on what is executed on the pitch!! Italian football is naturally slower than the English game. Is that down to execution or style of play and tactics?? It's absolutely the style of play. It's the exactly same with managers and their philosophy's.

Except I'm not spitting hairs because I'm arguing the exact opposite of what you are saying is true. That it doesn't matter what style of play you have it can be executed poorly, slowly, be boring etc etc. That tempo isn't dictated by your style of play.

I meant splitting hairs in your terminology I guess. To me style and execution go hand in hand because the style can often dictate how a game is executed.

Ok so Italian football is played slowly. Does that mean they all have the same style of play? They all play more direct football than their English counterparts? It must do if you naturally play slower football the more direct you play.

The majority have very similar styles with slight variations in formations. I watch a fair bit of Italian football (support Inter from afar) and can go pretty in depth if you'd like?

I didn't say more direct football is slower? Where did that come from? Long ball is a naturally quick style of play with the right players. I never stated otherwise. I do however see how it can become slow and dull when you're lumping a ball to a bloke who rarely wins a knock on/header and a bloke who's a midget. It's just an absolute waste and the repetitive loss of possession gets frustrating, dull, and boring.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:46 pm

I thought we played some decent stuff for the first 30 minutes, got a bit lost after their goal, but were much more effective in the 2nd half.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:08 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

I meant splitting hairs in your terminology I guess. To me style and execution go hand in hand because the style can often dictate how a game is executed.

The majority have very similar styles with slight variations in formations. I watch a fair bit of Italian football (support Inter from afar) and can go pretty in depth if you'd like?

I didn't say more direct football is slower? Where did that come from? Long ball is a naturally quick style of play with the right players. I never stated otherwise. I do however see how it can become slow and dull when you're lumping a ball to a bloke who rarely wins a knock on/header and a bloke who's a midget. It's just an absolute waste and the repetitive loss of possession gets frustrating, dull, and boring.

To be honest I think you can play whatever style you want, if you execute it poorly (which I think is where we have gone wrong under Whitney) it will look slow and boring and non effective. If that's splitting hairs then so be it but if you apply that to the discussion with Tom, that is my reason for disagreeing, it's because I don't necessarily see a complete change in style (even if it is there to some extent) but more a lack of execution and tactical awareness.

Hey, I'll absolutely take you word for it on Italian football. I have very limited knowledge on that.

I got that from where you said the style under Smith is naturally quicker than under Whitney. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying there.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 pm

I have only just had time to catch up on this debate and I find the difference of opinion interesting. I agree with bits of most of the posts in fact.

It will probably draw to a close now the next game is looking so I will add my thoughts.

I do not think for one minute that Whitney will want to desert a fast paced passing game subject to having suitable players to do so. The main change we have seen is with the back six so there is no reason why the rest of the team cannot continue with the same style of play. In view of the fact that the new back five outfield players are half of the team they will obviously have an influence on the style of play.

I think that is why we are seeing different opinions regarding the first half and I also think that after Bury the new players were cautious in front of the home fans. We all know that no matter what happens in training and what the manager tells them as soon as they kick off natural instincts set in which is why the defense wanted the ball in the opposition half as soon as possible. Nobody wants to lose the ball in their own half in front of the first home day fans.

I think Whitney changed that in the second half and I think he will get them all playing in the style he wants after a few games. That's also why I did not agree with the boos at half time. However, we now look as if we might score on every corner instead of never scoring on them. This could be an interesting season because we suddenly look as if we really do have a plan B which has not happened for a long time and JW has done that, so I do think he knows exactly what he is trying t do.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 am

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

To be honest I think you can play whatever style you want, if you execute it poorly (which I think is where we have gone wrong under Whitney) it will look slow and boring and non effective. If that's splitting hairs then so be it but if you apply that to the discussion with Tom, that is my reason for disagreeing, it's because I don't necessarily see a complete change in style (even if it is there to some extent) but more a lack of execution and tactical awareness.

Hey, I'll absolutely take you word for it on Italian football. I have very limited knowledge on that.

I got that from where you said the style under Smith is naturally quicker than under Whitney. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying there.

I agree. Poorly executed tactics can slow a side down drastically and look ineffective but I don't think that's the problem with Whitney. Just look at who he's signed, all defenders. To me this goes hand in hand with his philosophy which produces dull, slow football. Sign a few genuine wingers, play 4 at the back and even without a striker I believe the tempo would drastically improve on a more consistent basis (ie, Smiths style). One good half against a poor Oldham means nothing, I'm judging over his entire tenure as a manager.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm

scott_powell wrote: One good half against a poor Oldham means nothing, I'm judging over his entire tenure as a manager.

But Oldham have been poor for the last 18 games when we played against them, the highest league position being 15th and we only beat them 7 times according to my calculations. In fact in the last 25 previous League 1 meetings we only beat them 8 times. We beat them on Saturday with a Whitney inspired goal in a Whitney inspired second half according to Erhun in the E & S, that must mean something.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Optimistic wrote:
scott_powell wrote: One good half against a poor Oldham means nothing, I'm judging over his entire tenure as a manager.

But Oldham have been poor for the last 18 games when we played against them, the highest league position being 15th and we only beat them 7 times according to my calculations. In fact in the last 25 previous League 1 meetings we only beat them 8 times. We beat them on Saturday with a Whitney inspired goal in a Whitney inspired second half according to Erhun in the E & S, that must mean something.

It means absolutely nothing. Throw enough shite at a wall some will stick. Do it consistently and I may share your optimism on Whitney.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Optimistic wrote:

So we beat a team that "have been poor for the last 18 games when we have played them" , "highest position being 15th", "we only beat them 7 times" and "in 25 meetings we have only beat them 8 times" (your words Optimistic no-one else's) but due to this one win we should all be praising Whitney to the hilt, and all the doom has gone.
Sorry Optimistic but people with some sort of realism don't buy it.
Carry on with your rose tinted glasses but I will stick to reality thanks.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

So we beat a team that "have been poor for the last 18 games when we have played them" , "highest position being 15th", "we only beat them 7 times" and "in 25 meetings we have only beat them 8 times" (your words Optimistic no-one else's) but due to this one win we should all be praising Whitney to the hilt, and all the doom has gone.

I think he's a parody account.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

scott_powell wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Either that or he is on something "very" strong whenever he posts :mrgreen:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Either that or he is on something "very" strong whenever he posts :mrgreen:

Pardon me for posting facts in reply to Scott's post. All I do is post my opinions which is exactly what I thought the forum was for. Nothing rose tinted about stating a fact about a win and if some people think they have any understanding of realism at all and can't see that then they are confused.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 pm

Facts that just prove we have struggled to beat a piss poor team in the past.
But when we finally do beat them everything is hunky dory because we got the win.
"Papering over cracks" is the term that springs to mind.
I really hope your optimistic posts are proven right (can't really see it though) and I will doff my hat to you if they are.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Your "facts" were totally irrelevant.

Oldham are rubbish and we beat them. It isn't a proper indicator of where we are. We'll get a much clearer picture when we play Portsmouth and Bradford. Those are the FACTS.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Fair enough you two, I do not intend to get into a long debate. I did not mean to suggest that one win was an indicator of where we are, I was only pointing out that just because Oldham are a poor team we cannot assume we would beat them as history has proven.

See you on the next debate,

I hope you have also got a hat Scott.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season