Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (A) Carabao Cup, Wed 9 Aug, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Walsallone
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield Utd (A) Carabao Cup, Wed 9 Aug, 7.45pm

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 pm

According to WM a good showing but not good enough. Regan really impressed with Roberts and Edwards and Bakayoko at times!! Perhaps if JW hadn't messed around with O'Conner and Preston we might have won. Anyway looking forwards to reports from those who went.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 pm

So lets recap, our first team have gone from beating their first team at every turn, and they were actually worried about playing us, to our first team losing to their reserves with an experimental team and a couple of new signings thrown in? just shows how far we have come :|

TWM1962
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 pm

Gutted!!! Still plenty of cheese tonight will make me prepared for the nightmares on Saturday !!!!

Enough is enough...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

chunkster wrote:So lets recap, our first team have gone from beating their first team at every turn, and they were actually worried about playing us, to our first team losing to their reserves with an experimental team and a couple of new signings thrown in? just shows how far we have come :|

We enjoyed a great run against them, lucky or not. Pity it crashed and burned in 8 second half minutes.

Waiting for the fan reports to see if it was unlucky, we ran out of steam, or what.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Walsallone wrote:According to WM a good showing but not good enough. Regan really impressed with Roberts and Edwards and Bakayoko at times!!

... But we've lost and are now out of the League Cup at the first attempt against a heavily weakened Sheffield United side.

B@ll@cks to what WM think!

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Too early to judge, cant believe such reactions so early, get behind the team, Whitney a great servant.... etc etc.

Still shite. Bonser and Shitney out.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Really hope we get a result against Oldham because I cannot see anything out of the other 2 games this month. Could end August with 5 defeats on the trot otherwise.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm

chunkster wrote:So lets recap, our first team have gone from beating their first team at every turn, and they were actually worried about playing us, to our first team losing to their reserves with an experimental team and a couple of new signings thrown in? just shows how far we have come :|

I really do give up with Walsall fans. We lost to their "reserves" who brought a striker off the bench who would walk into our side and is paid more than any player in our team, and who also had another striker on the bench who would do likewise. Sheffield United are now a Championship club, they're geared up for it, they've got the crowds for it, they've got the money to go with it. I'd much prefer to listen to what Mick had to say about it being a decent display and one in which, for the majority of the match, good opposition failed to trouble us.

Of course, that doesn't mean that all is wonderful but let's be realistic. If we can't take anything off Oldham and then we lost against Portsmouth and Bradford as well, that's the time to be worrying. Right now, we've played one match against huge spenders in our league and another against a Championship team. We've lost by a goal in each match. Get some perspective.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Walsallone wrote:According to WM a good showing but not good enough. Regan really impressed with Roberts and Edwards and Bakayoko at times!! Perhaps if JW hadn't messed around with O'Conner and Preston we might have won. Anyway looking forwards to reports from those who went.

I still hold out hope Baka can have a decent season and get 10 + goals at least although would help if he could motivate himself to play well against others teams who aren't called Sheffield United (probably desperate to sign him :lol: ).

Same as it is though, the team is just not strong enough to compete for 90 minutes imo. I presume judging that one goal was conceded from a corner that the Blades just starting lumping speculative long balls into the area and chances came as a result, it's a massive weakness even in this apparent new improved defence.

Don't see why Whitney would be more likely to get the sack for losing an away cup tie to a higher placed league team. However make no mistake Oldham at home is a massive game in his tenure, the natives will be getting very restless if that is a loss.

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 pm

current form

sheff utd away LOST
bury away LOST
mk dons home LOST
p vale home LOST
Coventry away LOST
Swindon home WON
shrews away DREW
oxford home DREW
bradford away LOST
southend away LOST
Fleetwood home LOST
Charlton away DREW

if any passionate Walsall fan of any age thinks that the last 12 matches are the form of a successful long term manager then god help us all
I always try and look at positives as well as negatives and I simply cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I want us to win I don't expect us to win every match but I want us to win as many as we can.
looking at the fixtures Oldham on Saturday will tell us exactly what season were going to have.
hopefully we can break this dreadful from but with a weaker squad and this man in charge I'm not expecting any miracles

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Apparently HQ two of the goals were deflections and very unlucky for us so I agree with SHROPS as far as this result is concerned. I do think however that we need 3 more players to give us a competitive squad for this league (CM,CF and a pacy winger).Anyway I am looking forward to Saturday and seeing the new players we have got. Lets give them plenty of support.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Walsallone wrote:Apparently HQ two of the goals were deflections and very unlucky for us so I agree with SHROPS as far as this result is concerned. I do think however that we need 3 more players to give us a competitive squad for this league (CM,CF and a pacy winger).Anyway I am looking forward to Saturday and seeing the new players we have got. Lets give them plenty of support.

Don't disagree with you there.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

I really do give up with Walsall fans. We lost to their "reserves" who brought a striker off the bench who would walk into our side and is paid more than any player in our team, and who also had another striker on the bench who would do likewise. Sheffield United are now a Championship club, they're geared up for it, they've got the crowds for it, they've got the money to go with it. I'd much prefer to listen to what Mick had to say about it being a decent display and one in which, for the majority of the match, good opposition failed to trouble us.

Of course, that doesn't mean that all is wonderful but let's be realistic. If we can't take anything off Oldham and then we lost against Portsmouth and Bradford as well, that's the time to be worrying. Right now, we've played one match against huge spenders in our league and another against a Championship team. We've lost by a goal in each match. Get some perspective.

You 'give up with Walsall fans', because I'm giving up on Walsall FC! A season ticket holder for 25 years, it is highly likely that this season (as a season ticket holder) will be my last. I'm am utterly appalled by the direction the club is going.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

In perspective, the team has inadequately replaced personnel who have left since 2015 and are clearly overdue further reinforcements. There is no clue as to what, if any new players are coming in and fans are simply pointing these facts out.

Our last win was on April 17th against a doomed Swindon side. Before that it was against struggling Chesterfield and Oldham teams.

No-one is panicking and you are correct in making assessments after forthcoming games, but there is clearly ZERO ambition to challenge for promotion and it's likely we'll be involved in a relegation scrap, with limited evidence that we are taking this at all seriously.

Disappointing.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:

I have been getting perspective for the last 40 years mate, and believe me it doesn't get any better. I went to Bury, and they were very poor for all the money they have spent. But they still beat us. We have gone to a side tonight that have made 11 changes, that does not mean we have played a championship side, and they have beat us. we have a manager who the board have no confidence in and will not back him. We have a long season in front of us so i think i have a pretty good perspective at this moment in time.

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:Apparently HQ two of the goals were deflections and very unlucky for us so I agree with SHROPS as far as this result is concerned. I do think however that we need 3 more players to give us a competitive squad for this league (CM,CF and a pacy winger).Anyway I am looking forward to Saturday and seeing the new players we have got. Lets give them plenty of support.

We need 4 quality additions in my opinion. Add a centre-half to the above and we can 'compete', just.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Walsall_Casual wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:

We need 4 quality additions in my opinion. Add a centre-half to the above and we can 'compete', just.
I can't disagree with you there, but i would much rather see just the 2 additions. A new chairman and a new manager :mrgreen:

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:current form

sheff utd away LOST
bury away LOST
mk dons home LOST
p vale home LOST
Coventry away LOST
Swindon home WON
shrews away DREW
oxford home DREW
bradford away LOST
southend away LOST
Fleetwood home LOST
Charlton away DREW

if any passionate Walsall fan of any age thinks that the last 12 matches are the form of a successful long term manager then god help us all
I always try and look at positives as well as negatives and I simply cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I want us to win I don't expect us to win every match but I want us to win as many as we can.
looking at the fixtures Oldham on Saturday will tell us exactly what season were going to have.
hopefully we can break this dreadful from but with a weaker squad and this man in charge I'm not expecting any miracles

Great serve to granted but this form should see him sacked immediately.

But it won't..

m&m
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 pm

The decision to replace Baka who was having a good game with Jackson was nothing short of ludicrous.
The mans an idiot.

Tonight's threadbare squad was as weak a side I have seen for years.
Thank god they chose to play their reserves.

We had seen enough at 3-1 and left.

Unless we sack Whitney and give funds to the new manager to bring in 3-4 good league one standard players pronto we have had it.

Every fan can see this so why can't the board?

UTS Legend

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 am

'In a spell where the League One club crumbled.'

https://youtu.be/n3irby8Lxhk

coop63
Glitterati

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:

By all accounts (I wasn't there) that huge spending team you refer to weren't that good and we lost

Last night against a second string championship side we crumbled for 10 minutes and lost the plot (and the game..)

weve lost every one of our last 5 competitive games

We simply have no clue at the present time and the form list offered by others proves that this manager isn't up to the job.

I fully understand he's a good servant to the club and a great physio etc but project JW has run its course and the board must do something about it otherwise they'll become the target of significant protest from the stands..

Larryhaggler1

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 am

I love his comment to the E&S

"I know they made 11 changes but thy are still championship players"

Er no they are not Jon - 4 of them were on debut from non league and league 2 clubs and several had missed pre season.

Not one of them played in their first game last weekend against Brentford, utter bollox again my man

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 am

Current form LL

Current message board mood - depressed

Current message board predictions - we're doomed

Current message board rational - off the scale

My view - looking forward to Saturday and a win, and why wouldn't I.

:D

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:45 am

Walsallone wrote:According to WM a good showing but not good enough. Regan really impressed with Roberts and Edwards and Bakayoko at times!! Perhaps if JW hadn't messed around with O'Conner and Preston we might have won. Anyway looking forwards to reports from those who went.

Regan wasn't at the match it was the infinitely more competent Rob Gurney.

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 am

Overall I thought that apart from a 10minute spell in the second half we were the better team and played the better football.

Sheffield played their 2nd 11 with Hanson up front and the defence marshalled him very well 1st half.
Although it was essentially their reserve team. It probably would have been up the top end of League 1 had they been playing there.
1st half we played really well and when Oz beat the offside trap he laid on a really good pass into the box for Ama to stroke home.
2nd half sub Ched Evans came on and changed the game. Up until that point we were holding our own and Edwards had a goalbound rocket from the edge of the box which their defender headed clear. It nearly took his head off!
Kory Roberts played a good game and was unfortunate to get in the way of a Ched Evans shot which may or may not have gone in without the deflection. That 10 minute spell we just disappeared.It was like we had just stopped playing. Baka looked like he was tiring to me and that's why Jackson was brought on.
I was impressed by Kouhyar when he came on. Made a couple of good runs and pulled back a good cross from the line just inside the box. Despite being 3-1 down we were pressing still won the pen which Oz put away very well (as you would expect)
in all a good game spoilt by the result of a dodgy 10 minute spell in the second half.

Oldham will not be anywhere near as good a team as the Sheffield team we played tonight.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:07 am

saddla wrote:Overall I thought that apart from a 10minute spell in the second half we were the better team and played the better football.

Sheffield played their 2nd 11 with Hanson up front and the defence marshalled him very well 1st half.
Although it was essentially their reserve team. It probably would have been up the top end of League 1 had they been playing there.
1st half we played really well and when Oz beat the offside trap he laid on a really good pass into the box for Ama to stroke home.
2nd half sub Ched Evans came on and changed the game. Up until that point we were holding our own and Edwards had a goalbound rocket from the edge of the box which their defender headed clear. It nearly took his head off!
Kory Roberts played a good game and was unfortunate to get in the way of a Ched Evans shot which may or may not have gone in without the deflection. That 10 minute spell we just disappeared.It was like we had just stopped playing. Baka looked like he was tiring to me and that's why Jackson was brought on.
I was impressed by Kouhyar when he came on. Made a couple of good runs and pulled back a good cross from the line just inside the box. Despite being 3-1 down we were pressing still won the pen which Oz put away very well (as you would expect)
in all a good game spoilt by the result of a dodgy 10 minute spell in the second half.

Oldham will not be anywhere near as good a team as the Sheffield team we played tonight.

Thanks for a positive post. Helps lift some of the gloom.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:28 am

Bit of a strange game, felt more like a pre-season fixture especially in the first half.

We played okay, I wouldn't go as far to say we played the better football or that we deserved something out of it, again Whitney's post match quotes that we 'outplayed' them are simply inaccurate.

First half we defended on the edge of our box and scored a breakaway goal with a tidy finish from Bakayoko, the rest of the half we had maybe one deflected shot and for the rest of it we watched them pass it around in our half without any real danger.

Second half we dropped even deeper, the introduction of Evans - and United upping the tempo - eventually changed the game, 3 goals in quick succession is something all too familiar under Whitney and again we capitulated under the slightest hint of real pressure. The 91st minute penalty came about after only our 2nd shot in anger in the half as Basham handled from Kouyhar. A great pen from Oztumer.

After that, we did our usual trick under Whitney when trailing in injury time, lumped it aimlessly forward to Simeon Jackson with no thought or direction. Obviously, we didn't create any further chances.

Decent performances from Devlin, Edwards, Roberts and Bakayoko.

Not convinced by Leahy.

Oldham is huge for Whitney now.

Gripper
Glitterati

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 am

Funny how the people who went to Brammal Lane actually have some decent words on players who did well rather just berating Whitney, cheers.

sirrammell

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am

Tom_1992 wrote:Bit of a strange game, felt more like a pre-season fixture especially in the first half.

We played okay, I wouldn't go as far to say we played the better football or that we deserved something out of it, again Whitney's post match quotes that we 'outplayed' them are simply inaccurate.

First half we defended on the edge of our box and scored a breakaway goal with a tidy finish from Bakayoko, the rest of the half we had maybe one deflected shot and for the rest of it we watched them pass it around in our half without any real danger.

Second half we dropped even deeper, the introduction of Evans - and United upping the tempo - eventually changed the game, 3 goals in quick succession is something all too familiar under Whitney and again we capitulated under the slightest hint of real pressure. The 91st minute penalty came about after only our 2nd shot in anger in the half as Basham handled from Kouyhar. A great pen from Oztumer.

After that, we did our usual trick under Whitney when trailing in injury time, lumped it aimlessly forward to Simeon Jackson with no thought or direction. Obviously, we didn't create any further chances.

Decent performances from Devlin, Edwards, Roberts and Bakayoko.

Not convinced by Leahy.

Oldham is huge for Whitney now.

This all sounds very familiar. I lost faith in Whitney after travelling to Southend last year. 2-0 up at half time we proceeded to lose 3-2. Although Southend had a very impressive second half I believe the reason we lost is that Whitney was unable to respond to the flow of the game. By the 50th minute mark it was clear to all and sundry that Southend had been riled up at half time, Jon didnt change our system. Nile Ranger scored on 63 minutes and we totally lost the midfield battle from then on. I didn't attend last night's game (I don't live in the UK) but the highlights and descriptions sound very familiar.

Someone once posted saying that Whitney makes substitutes like a physio, someone gets leggy, they get taken off. For me that's exactly right, whatever the other elements around the club (investment/player quarrels etc) Jon doesn't have the tactical nous to change matches and I haven't seen him learn over the last year. Although we could still finish mid-table, the tactical side makes a big difference when fighting for the play-offs.

(Long term stalker, first time poster)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 am

Judging from the reports from those who went the WM man(Gurney not Regan....oops!) got it about right and even the biggest critics must admit 2 of the goals were a trifle unlucky but (how many times must we say this!!) the squad is simply short on experience and firepower.....3 players at least required.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season