Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (A) Carabao Cup, Wed 9 Aug, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sheffield Utd (A) Carabao Cup, Wed 9 Aug, 7.45pm

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:15 am

We embark on the latest re-incarnation of the English Football League Cup with a trip to Bramall Lane to face last season's runaway winners of League One. Recent performance would suggest that we should have a guaranteed place in the second round - after all, United only lost 6 games in the entire 2016/17 season, and 2 of the league defeats were against us. To add insult to injury we also knocked them out of the Football League Trophy competition, with Amadou Bakayoko scoring one of our goals.

Incidentally, Carabao (if you weren't aware) is an "energy drink" from Thailand - and the manufacturer is putting in £18 million to secure a 3-year deal to sponsor this competition. The draw for this 1st round actually took place in Thailand, and in the best traditions of modern technology it was broadcast "live" from Bangkok ... and in the best traditions of human participation the whole thing descended into farce when the video feed displayed Charlton Athletic as having two separate fixtures, and also showed two other "impossible" fixtures where unseeded clubs were depicted as playing each other. The Football League were, of course, at pains to point out that the actual draw had proceeded with complete accuracy, and it was just the "human factor" that screwed things up.

Mentioning the "human factor that screws things up" leads us nicely to JW's selection policy for this game. He is on record as having said that he looks forward to having a "selection headache" in choosing his team, but that phrase is normally reserved for difficult decisions when trying to separate players of equal ability and qualification. The current situation is very different, because the only real headache JW has is that of wondering who on earth can be selected who is likely to score - it's one thing to bag a few goals against the likes of Solihull Moors or Rushall Olympic, but as we found at Bury on Saturday League One defences are a bit of a different breed. So ..... is this competition to be taken seriously, or perhaps used as a final "Pre-Season" exercise? The defence at Gigg Lane looked reasonably sound apart from the unfortunate deflection that led to their goal from the set piece, and we do have Nicky Devlin available, having served his one match suspension. It's the striking department that isn't just stuttering at present - it's just not there, as displayed at Bury where we had a grand total of 2 shots on target in the entire game, and you can't expect to come away with 3 points with that kind of strike rate. Having said that, Sheffield United had those statistics on Saturday - 2 shots on target against Brentford, and a 1-0 home win ... so it's not just the quantity of shooting, it's the quality, and again we are far from the finished article!

On another thread it was commented that Wayne Rooney made his debut at the tender age of 16 years, and we also have a 16-year old striker who has been pulling up trees on the fringe of our first team - is it worth giving Mitch Candlin more than the few minutes he got as a late substitute against Bury? It would seem that he couldn't do any worse than our current "first choice" strikers........

Liam Roberts may get a run-out as an alternative goalkeeper in this competition, but with 2 penalties saved at Bury it looks as though Gillespie has done enough to confirm his place as first choice.

Prediction? Sorry, but this competition to me is only one step up from the Mickey Mouse Cup, and I'm not really bothered about the result - I would rather let JW use this game as an exercise in finalising tactics that should bring us 3 points next Saturday at home to Oldham Athletic. For the sake of argument I'll go for a 1-2 away win, with Candlin and Oztumer on target. :D

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield Utd (A) Carabao Cup, Wed 9 Aug, 7.45pm

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:24 am

These write ups really are brilliant. It's easily the best prematch round up on Walsall, far better than what the club themselves or Sky can muster up :D :D :D

I'd like to see:

Roberts
Kinsella
Cockerill-Mollett
JOC (as I assume Wilson can't play?)
Guthrie
Kouyar
Edwards
Cuvelier
Flanagan (purely to save Chambers legs)
Oztumer
Bakayoko

I think that is a fair mix of fringe youth players and fit first teamers, gives a few a chance. I wouldn't expect it to win, far from it. But Oldham has to be the priority which questions the need for this waste of time cup.

4-0 Sheffield United.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am

Blades to progress, the scoreline doesn't really matter.

Whitney to get the blame for everything.

The chairman to leaf through yacht magazines with a satisfied smirk and look for the result the next day in a Cypriot mansion over waffles and maple syrup.

And why shouldn't he?

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:12 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Blades to progress, the scoreline doesn't really matter.

The chairman to leaf through yacht magazines with a satisfied smirk and look for the result the next day in a Cypriot mansion over waffles and maple syrup.

And why shouldn't he?

You really think he cares what is said on a fans website?
When all the protests a couple of years ago made the atmosphere toxic at the games he just stopped coming. He doesn't care about what the fans think or do.
The loyal 3000 will always turn up no matter what. The Sunday market and the Wedding and Entertainment venues will pay the rent.
He will not sell his shares in the club or the freehold. He is made for life and that probably means the next 15 to 20 years. He will not care as long as we don't get relegated out of the FL. and he will make sure that doesn't happen.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 pm

saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Blades to progress, the scoreline doesn't really matter.

And why shouldn't he?

You really think he cares what is said on a fans website?
When all the protests a couple of years ago made the atmosphere toxic at the games he just stopped coming. He doesn't care about what the fans think or do.
The loyal 3000 will always turn up no matter what. The Sunday market and the Wedding and Entertainment venues will pay the rent.
He will not sell his shares in the club or the freehold. He is made for life and that probably means the next 15 to 20 years. He will not care as long as we don't get relegated out of the FL. and he will make sure that doesn't happen.

No, of course he doesn't.

But if the argument is 'why bother highlighting the issue because nothing will get done anyway' then I would disagree. It needs shouting from the rooftops and this site is a start.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Worth checking out the ingredients of this "energy" drink and the possible side effects. Makes you yearn for the wholesome Milk Cup.

As for the game - a Walsall win guaranteed. :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:19 am

Both sets of fans to join together in the car park to burn an effigy of Darryl Westlake.
Walsall fans dedicate it as a sacrifice to Matt Done.
Unfortunately, they burn the real Darryl Westlake by mistake.
S Yorks Police to be distracted from their investigations by contemplating the intricacies of a beautiful flower.

Meanwhile Bakayoko scores at the match.
The Blunts finally convert their 18th penalty award late in the match to equalise.
The match goes to penalties and Ginaluca Buffoon saves them all, while two schoolboys are allowed to stay up late and score for us.
Buffoon attempts to claim the match ball and misses, like a farmer trying to catch a greasy pig,

Sheffield United then offer a mammoth £250,000 for Bakayoko, as he is always so deadly against them.
We play hardball and insist on a sell on clause and as many sweeties as Candlin can eat in one sitting.
This delays negotiations by 30 seconds.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:34 am

Great piece WELSH....you get better with age!!! As for the match like most I don't really care but would expect Chambers to be rested and Bakayoko to play instead of Jackson. Candlin might come on a substitute and score the winner :D

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 am

leics_saddler wrote:Both sets of fans to join together in the car park to burn an effigy of Darryl Westlake.
Walsall fans dedicate it as a sacrifice to Matt Done.
Unfortunately, they burn the real Darryl Westlake by mistake.
S Yorks Police to be distracted from their investigations by contemplating the intricacies of a beautiful flower.

Meanwhile Bakayoko scores at the match.
The Blunts finally convert their 18th penalty award late in the match to equalise.
The match goes to penalties and Ginaluca Buffoon saves them all, while two schoolboys are allowed to stay up late and score for us.
Buffoon attempts to claim the match ball and misses, like a farmer trying to catch a greasy pig,

Sheffield United then offer a mammoth £250,000 for Bakayoko, as he is always so deadly against them.
We play hardball and insist on a sell on clause and as many sweeties as Candlin can eat in one sitting.
This delays negotiations by 30 seconds.

As much as I enjoyed Welsh Saddler's preview - this tops it. Well done that (wo?)man.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

my prediction depends on how strong Sheff United's line up will be, a weak United side will see us lose 2-0 and a strong united side will see us lose 5-0, either way we ain't going to score.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 pm

even if they put their kids out their strikeforce will be better than ours, we will have to put our very best first team out and hope they don't to get any sort of a chance to progress. our first loss in quite a while to the blades whatever the teams :|

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 pm

chunkster wrote:even if they put their kids out their strikeforce will be better than ours, we will have to put our very best first team out and hope they don't to get any sort of a chance to progress. our first loss in quite a while to the blades whatever the teams :|

Forest in the next round then? :D :wink:

Yeah, I know ... some chance. :|

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:43 am

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:28 am

We'm gonna get a hommering.

:?

It'll be like a revenge mission on steroids. With fricking sharks with lasers.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:03 am

Totally agree with everyone's predictions, some of our victories against them last year were a bit on the 'lucky' side, and feel past history has no bearing whatsoever on the ommerin we will get tonight. Whitter's will put his strongest team out, the Blades will send out the ladies under 14's team, and we will still fail to score, cus there is no one in our team capable of this function. 4-0 defeat at best.
I also fear that our 1-1 draw on Saturday will not assist to strengthen his limited tenure in charge!

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:16 pm

I just decided to go. So we'll hammer 'um.
Come on me babbies!

ps No point in going if you don't believe we're gonna win. I've never been to a match in my life thinking we're gonna get beat. Even if we go a couple of goals down I still believe we can come back to win it. Hence I've never left a game before the final whistle.
Research has shown that optimistic people live much happier lives and suffer from less stress. :D
and there's a great chippie :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Good on yer SADDLA....hope you are write. Spot on about optimists....just look at the difference between us and AM :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Blimey I must be going mad...for "write" read "right" :D

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 pm

well thanks to whitney and bonser this predicting game just gets easier

sheff utd as many as they like Walsall 0

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm

saddla wrote:I just decided to go. So we'll hammer 'um.
Come on me babbies!

ps No point in going if you don't believe we're gonna win. I've never been to a match in my life thinking we're gonna get beat. Even if we go a couple of goals down I still believe we can come back to win it. Hence I've never left a game before the final whistle.
Research has shown that optimistic people live much happier lives and suffer from less stress. :D
and there's a great chippie :mrgreen:

Reading cup game?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:13 pm

3-5-1 for us tonight according to WM.
Gillespie, Devlin,Roberts,Guthrie; Kinsella,Chambers, Morris,Edwards,Leahy; Oztumer; Bakayoko.
Subs...youngsters plus jackson

Sheffield Utd make 11 changes from Saturday!!!
UTS

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 pm

On Bescot Banter it is 4-2-3-1.....lets hope the players know the system :D

Blackpool88

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 pm

What ever happened to 442! Houghton and Marshy on the wings, Wilson and Lightbourne up front! Simpler times!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm

SUPER SADDLERS!!!!!!!!!!

12 minutes .... Blades 0 Saddlers 1 :D :D :D (Bakayoko - he loves playing against Sheffield Utd :wink: )

(Messi with the assist)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Half-time, and we've held on to the 0-1 scoreline. Just watch as JW makes sweeping changes for the second half - there's still plenty of time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.........

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Good first half for Walsall keeping SUFC at bay and their supporters muted. Hope it can continue. :) :)

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:36 pm

1-0 to the Saddlers at HT....deserved lead according to Regan....back 3 doing well especially Guthrie. Lets hope they keep it going. UTS

Larryhaggler1

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Sheffield have changed the entire team ! All 11 and have 2 guys making debuts that played non league last season.

Sounded like we could have scored more if Baka had squared it to Ozzy or Jumped !

No Preston in the squad

Sounds like we were decent value for the HT being ahead

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Half-time, and we've held on to the 0-1 scoreline. Just watch as JW makes sweeping changes for the second half - there's still plenty of time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.........

Bit harsh.... playing well, winning at half time, you give grief. What's the point?

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:41 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:well thanks to whitney and bonser this predicting game just gets easier

sheff utd as many as they like Walsall 0

Shows what you know

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season