Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rushall Olympic (A) - 1st August 2017

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Rushall Olympic (A) - 1st August 2017

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Tonight sees the last chance for members of the Reserve/Development squad to stake a claim for a place in Whitney's 1st team plans, if only as bench-warmers. That said, I suppose that Devlin may play as he has tweeted that he is suspended on Saturday! The youngsters lost 2-3 to Stafford Rangers and beat Chasetown 5-1, so a decent game seems in prospect. By the way, the Wayne Thomas who is Rushall's new manager is no relation to Walsall's Commercial Manager. He is the ex-Burnley and Stoke City player.

Venue:- Dales Lane, off Daw End, Rushall, Walsall, WS4 1LJ (opposite the Royal Oak pub/curry house) - on the 997 bus route
K.o. 7.45 p.m.

Admission:- Adults £6; Concessions £3
Programme:- £2

Licensed bar, big screen tv - and refreshments on sale (including chips!!!!!)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Rushall Olympic (A) - 1st August 2017

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Rushall Olympic 2-2 Walsall

Walsall
Dawe; Devlin; Tonks; Butterfield; Kendrick; Brown; Hales-Docherty; Candlin; Peters; Sangha; Shorrock.
Subs:- Nolan; Dominic; Little; Leak; Flanagan; Bates; Willis.

Scorers:- Sangha, Peters
Attendance:- 593

A very entertaining game, played in the right spirit, with good football from both sides. The young Saddlers twice took the lead only for the Pics to equalise both times.

Devlin did indeed play as he is unable to play on Saturday but had to go off injured, about 5 minutes from time.

While Walsall hit the road to Gigg Lane on Saturday, Rushall entertain Kettering Town at Dales Lane in their final pre-season friendly.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Re: Rushall Olympic (A) - 1st August 2017

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks for the report. Did any of the youngsters stand out? And how did Devlin play? I have high hopes for him but suspect he may take a little time to settle. He was certainly talked of in glowing terms up here and he seems like one of the "leaders" that the manager was after.

Return to 2017-18 Season