Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 pm

We travel to Gigg Lane for the opening fixture of the new season, to face Lee Clark's Shakers. Bury finished last season in 19th place, uncomfortably only a point above relegated Port Vale, and part of their saving grace was that they managed to score more than that position would suggest. Indeed, they only netted one goal less than Bradford City, who featured in the play-offs - and the most significant contribution to their 61 goals came from James Vaughan, who scored 24 of them. Fortunately for us he won't be seen on Saturday, having signed for Sunderland for a reported £900,000. Bury's big failing last season was their defence, which conceded 73 goals, and only Gillingham and Chesterfield let in more than that.

A striker of James Vaughan's calibre was never going to be easy to replace, and Bury seem to have gone for quantity as well as quality by signing Chris Maguire from Oxford United, much travelled 33-year old Jermaine Beckford who had been released by Preston North End, and Nicky Ajose on loan from Charlton Athletic. This will be Ajose's third stint as a Bury player, and almost the same applies to Ryan Lowe who has joined as Player/Coach having been on Bury's books twice before purely as a player.

One familiar face who will be missing from Bury's line-up is that of Eoghan O'Connell - he had the bad luck to suffer a serious injury during their pre-season friendly against Crewe Alexandra, and the damage to his posterior cruciate ligament will keep him out of the reckoning for at least the next 10 weeks. In other pre-season fixtures Bury lost at home to Huddersfield Town 1-3, drew with Crewe, and beat Salford City (away) 1-2. The game against Tranmere Rovers was postponed.

So what will Jon Whitney's approach to this game be? There is still talk from some quarters of signing a striker, but on the other hand JW is on record as saying that we will go into battle with what we've got. It would be nice to think that the open meeting for the fans tomorrow night could be the platform for an announcement of a major investment in the form of a Championship goal-poacher, but even if that comes to pass it would only leave a matter of a few days for "bedding in" before this fixture. As with many developments emanating from Fortress Banks's it's a case of "Wait and see".

Forecast? Tricky, if only because there is no real "form" by which to judge - but as this is a fixture which (on paper) we don't have the ghost of a chance of winning, I'll don my rose-coloured spectacles and predict that our defence will do its job .... we will naturally concede early on from a set piece but scramble a late equaliser from Mitch Candlin, introduced as a substitute in the 82nd minute. So 1-1, which will ruin many people's fixed odds coupons. :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Good start welshie been looking forward to the start of your pre match analysis :D . to be honest bury haven't set the pre season on fire, and neither have we,
but with our incapability to defend corners and lack of striking options,coupled with the plethora of strikers they have, i can only see this going one way, so i am going 2-0

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Finally a sign the new season is near.
Thanks Welsh.
I agree with Welsh 1-1.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am

I think the best we can hope for is 0-0 - can't see us putting up much of a goal threat. I think Whitney will play 4-5-1 and look to stifle Bury's considerable goal threat and try and pinch a goal. JW is quoted in the E&S that he might have a surprise up his sleeve - don't tell me: he's going to play Kouyar instead of Morris - watch out Bury!

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:37 am

I imagine the Bury defence will be called to a crisis meeting on how to deal with Baka and Jackson if they can stop their threat the rest of the season for them will be a walk in the park.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:I imagine the Bury defence will be called to a crisis meeting on how to deal with Baka and Jackson if they can stop their threat the rest of the season for them will be a walk in the park.

The Bury defenders just need to stand their ground and wait for Jackson to run offside - simple. In attack, they just need to get crosses in - a 5-year old could give Bury's pre-match team talk.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:We travel to Gigg Lane for the opening fixture of the new season, to face Lee Clark's Shakers. Bury finished last season in 19th place, uncomfortably only a point above relegated Port Vale, and part of their saving grace was that they managed to score more than that position would suggest. Indeed, they only netted one goal less than Bradford City, who featured in the play-offs - and the most significant contribution to their 61 goals came from James Vaughan, who scored 24 of them. Fortunately for us he won't be seen on Saturday, having signed for Sunderland for a reported £900,000. Bury's big failing last season was their defence, which conceded 73 goals, and only Gillingham and Chesterfield let in more than that.

A striker of James Vaughan's calibre was never going to be easy to replace, and Bury seem to have gone for quantity as well as quality by signing Chris Maguire from Oxford United, much travelled 33-year old Jermaine Beckford who had been released by Preston North End, and Nicky Ajose on loan from Charlton Athletic. This will be Ajose's third stint as a Bury player, and almost the same applies to Ryan Lowe who has joined as Player/Coach having been on Bury's books twice before purely as a player.

One familiar face who will be missing from Bury's line-up is that of Eoghan O'Connell - he had the bad luck to suffer a serious injury during their pre-season friendly against Crewe Alexandra, and the damage to his posterior cruciate ligament will keep him out of the reckoning for at least the next 10 weeks. In other pre-season fixtures Bury lost at home to Huddersfield Town 1-3, drew with Crewe, and beat Salford City (away) 1-2. The game against Tranmere Rovers was postponed.

So what will Jon Whitney's approach to this game be? There is still talk from some quarters of signing a striker, but on the other hand JW is on record as saying that we will go into battle with what we've got. It would be nice to think that the open meeting for the fans tomorrow night could be the platform for an announcement of a major investment in the form of a Championship goal-poacher, but even if that comes to pass it would only leave a matter of a few days for "bedding in" before this fixture. As with many developments emanating from Fortress Banks's it's a case of "Wait and see".

Forecast? Tricky, if only because there is no real "form" by which to judge - but as this is a fixture which (on paper) we don't have the ghost of a chance of winning, I'll don my rose-coloured spectacles and predict that our defence will do its job .... we will naturally concede early on from a set piece but scramble a late equaliser from Mitch Candlin, introduced as a substitute in the 82nd minute. So 1-1, which will ruin many people's fixed odds coupons. :wink:

No wonder Bury have been able to splash the cash if they got £900k for James Vaughan - I didn't realise they had got that much - a good piece of business. I think we have done them a disservice- they've actually being reinvesting transfer receipts in their team - revolutionary: why didn't we think of that?!!!!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:59 pm

I actually think we'll draw this one. We look fairly strong with Guthrie and Wilson at the back and I can't see us scoring.

0-0 and I would take that now if I could.

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 pm

4-0 bury the whitney outs to begin early :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 pm

saddlertd wrote:I think the best we can hope for is 0-0 - can't see us putting up much of a goal threat. I think Whitney will play 4-5-1 and look to stifle Bury's considerable goal threat and try and pinch a goal. JW is quoted in the E&S that he might have a surprise up his sleeve - don't tell me: he's going to play Kouyar instead of Morris - watch out Bury!

Would be amazed if a clean sheet is kept against Beckford and Ajose, two excellent league one strikers.

Regardless of how Bury get their money, they've made some very good signings for this level and have been a bogey team over the last 5 years.

3-0. :(

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:40 pm

Bury have a strike force that most of us could only dream of............................ no matter how good Whitter's thinks our defence is, it won't hold out up against constant bombardment, and with NO threat of our own it will only end in tears.

0-4, with us ending up as the strongest team in the League, holding the rest up from the bottom.

Not to worry, weem Worsul aye we, for me it's only a two & a half penny bus ride, and hopefully I shall be meeting up with Chunkster! :D :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Bury have a strike force that most of us could only dream of............................ no matter how good Whitter's thinks our defence is, it won't hold out up against constant bombardment, and with NO threat of our own it will only end in tears.

0-4, with us ending up as the strongest team in the League, holding the rest up from the bottom.

Not to worry, weem Worsul aye we, for me it's only a two & a half penny bus ride, and hopefully I shall be meeting up with Chunkster! :D :D
:lol: looking at hotels near canal street as we type me old mucka :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 am

What a pisser that this is an away game, given that I'm in Walsall this weekend seeing the olds on a last-minute trip.

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:07 am

Easy opening day win, I can just see the headline on Sunday - 'Whitney's Wonderful Walsall Wow'

So there you have it, you read it here first.

I'll be there folks.

WITNEY IN :arrow: PERIOD

:D

layzeedude
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 am

Welshie,
I have a sinking feeling that your pre-match reports will be one of the few highlights this season. Been so disinterested in the off-season that I'd not realised we were starting the new campaign on Saturday until a few days ago.

I'd just like to see us on the score sheet tbh. 1-1, 2-1. More likely 3-0 but here's hoping.

UTS

LD

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 am

Well like CULLY I think we will win!!!!!!!!!! 1 or 2 Nil.....I shall be at the test match at Old Trafford and look forward to hearing the cheers emanating from the away end at Gigg Lane.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 am

saddlertd wrote:I think the best we can hope for is 0-0 - can't see us putting up much of a goal threat. I think Whitney will play 4-5-1 and look to stifle Bury's considerable goal threat and try and pinch a goal. JW is quoted in the E&S that he might have a surprise up his sleeve - don't tell me: he's going to play Kouyar instead of Morris - watch out Bury!

Ah, I see we are writing off the kids as well now :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well like CULLY I think we will win!!!!!!!!!! 1 or 2 Nil.....I shall be at the test match at Old Trafford and look forward to hearing the cheers emanating from the away end at Gigg Lane.

Best place for you to be mate, at least watching paint dry at the most boring game on gods earth has to be better than seeing our beloved team get easily beaten by a team with fewer fans than we have (and that's saying something!)

How can anybody watch Cricket? The mind boggles...................

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is not writing off the youth but clearly a dig at our lack of depth within the squad.

You have a habit of missing quite obvious points. You take anything with a hint of sarcasm either seriously or incorrectly. Never seen anyone miss points quite like you.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is not writing off the youth but clearly a dig at our lack of depth within the squad.

You have a habit of missing quite obvious points. You take anything with a hint of sarcasm either seriously or incorrectly. Never seen anyone miss points quite like you.

Ha ok. I disagree so I have missed the point. How is that not writing Kouyar off?

I'd rather give Kouyar, and most youngsters, a chance before bringing in somebody to sit on a bench when the starter is fit. But hey, maybe I should just dismiss your point because you just don't understand that and keep missing my points...

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Ha ok. I disagree so I have missed the point. How is that not writing Kouyar off?

I'd rather give Kouyar, and most youngsters, a chance before bringing in somebody to sit on a bench when the starter is fit. But hey, maybe I should just dismiss your point because you just don't understand that and keep missing my points...

It's not writing off Kouyar. We are talking about a player who has hardly played a game for us. You cannot rely on such inexperience when your only winger isn't performing or gets injured!! ITS A CLEAR LACK OF DEPTH!!!

Answer me this ... Do we lack depth? I want a simple yes or no answer. Anything more will be ignored.
Last edited by scott_powell on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Answer me this ... Do we lack depth? I want a simple yes or no answer. Anything more will be ignored.

Yes without shadow of a doubt. Not sure were I have said we've got a squad chock full of league one world beaters. Ignore whatever you want.

Edit: Editing your post after I've already replied to your original one? Classy.

"It's not writing off Kouyar. We are talking about a player who has hardly played a game for us. You cannot rely on such inexperience when your only winger isn't performing or gets injured!! ITS A CLEAR LACK OF DEPTH!!!"

Sarcastically saying Bury or whoever will be terrified of playing Kouyar is writing him off. I don't care what your reasoning is that's exactly what it is. No you can't, that's why we have Kieron Morris and yes as I answered we do lack depth, I've never said otherwise? Not sure why you are getting so ate up about that particular point considering I've never suggested we do have a squad full. But the reality is we lack depth everywhere and always have done. I can't remember walsall ever having 22 League One ready players plus youth. We have always had to give youngsters a chance, successfully or not.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:14 pm

So you agree with the point of the original post!! Hurrah.

I never said you did, did I?

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:15 pm

scott_powell wrote:So you agree with the point of the original post!! Hurrah.

Nope because, as I have pointed out to you, our lack of depth doesn't mean we should be pessimistic about using our youth team players and giving them a chance.

You seemed to be questioning me pretty vociferously about it for somebody who didn't think I held that view? Even the "hurrah" there would indicate that...

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 pm

El_Nombre wrote:

Nope because, as I have pointed out to you, our lack of depth doesn't mean we should be pessimistic about using our youth team players and giving them a chance. (Pessamistic? How about realistic in regards to squad depth. Kouyar is a natural replacement for a poor Morris which is why he was used in this instance. It was a sarcastic post and should be taken in that manner. You've taken it the wrong way!)

You seemed to be questioning me pretty vociferously about it for somebody who didn't think I held that view? Even the "hurrah" there would indicate that... (When did I say you didn't hold that view? I asked the question as I didn't know your view. Again you're assuming. Vociferously? I asked a question. Hardly aggressive or forceful. A simple yes/no sufficed and now I know your view of our squad depth! The "hurrah" was sarcasm, further proof you don't understand that form (as low as it is) of wit).

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Nope because, as I have pointed out to you, our lack of depth doesn't mean we should be pessimistic about using our youth team players and giving them a chance. (Pessamistic? How about realistic in regards to squad depth. Kouyar is a natural replacement for a poor Morris which is why he was used in this instance. It was a sarcastic post and should be taken in that manner. You've taken it the wrong way!)

You seemed to be questioning me pretty vociferously about it for somebody who didn't think I held that view? Even the "hurrah" there would indicate that... (When did I say you didn't hold that view? I asked the question as I didn't know your view. Again you're assuming. Vociferously? I asked a question. Hardly aggressive or forceful. A simple yes/no sufficed and now I know your view of our squad depth! The "hurrah" was sarcasm, further proof you don't understand that form (as low as it is) of wit).

"You cannot rely on such inexperience when your only winger isn't performing or gets injured!! ITS A CLEAR LACK OF DEPTH!!!""

Oh yeah, that comes across as super calm. I've answered both those points already I don't feel the need to do so again.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

"You cannot rely on such inexperience when your only winger isn't performing or gets injured!! ITS A CLEAR LACK OF DEPTH!!!""

Oh yeah, that comes across as super calm. I've answered both those points already I don't feel the need to do so again.

Capitalisation and exclamation marks used in a way of emphisising my point just so you dont miss it like you miss most other simple points. You seem to take absolutely everything as an attack and play victim like everyone is aggressive or insulting! Man up and stop being a snowflake! It's ridiculous! Hang on, is that too aggressive? I apologise if so, Snowflake.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Capitalisation and exclamation marks used in a way of emphisising my point just so you dont miss it like you miss most other simple points. You seem to take absolutely everything as an attack and play victim like everyone is aggressive or insulting! Man up and stop being a snowflake! It's ridiculous! Hang on, is that too aggressive? I apologise if so, Snowflake.

Haha where did I complain that you were aggressive? I said you questioned me quite vociferously and you did. I didn't say I'm going to cry myself to sleep over it.

But ok. "Snowflake". The favourite in the trolls armory of low impact anonymous insults that make them feel high and mighty. Says a lot.

Maybe if you climbed down off your high horse once in a while you could actually accept that other people view things differently and have a normal conversation about it. Instead you seem to put it down to "not understanding" and then slowly resort to insults and then finally blaming the other person for being overly sensitive when they call you out on it. I thought it when you went on your weird tirade about me being a feminist (?) style offended by air despite not actually being offended by anything but, hey ho, People like you are normally so pig headed they can't see that.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Calm down Snowflake or you'll let another point fly aimlessly over your head :lol: :lol: :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:41 pm

scott_powell wrote:Calm down Snowflake or you'll let another point fly aimlessly over your head :lol: :lol: :lol:

Says it all.

Next
Return to 2017-18 Season