Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 am

Whitney Out.

Gripper
Glitterati

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:34 pm

saddlertd wrote:
Gripper wrote:Incredible - how many stayaways stay away because of fellow fans and not because of other reasons (Bonser etc.)? Cause after the crap I was hearing yesterday...I'm tempted to give up.

Whitney out? After 60 minutes 1 nil down to a team who will buy the league? Wow.

Some prat in the bar at half time slumped up the wall singing we are going down and then I saw him telling the players to fudge off as they applauded the travelling fans.... Wow.

I had a great weekend football aside, it will be a long season but just to remind people there are 45 games left....Whitney out on day 1...haha grow up.

Gripper - I agree with you about it being a bit early for the "Whitney Out" chants after one game, but this is a continuation of our dismal surrender at the end of last season, the uninspiring transfer dealings over the summer - we all know we need a striker and a winger: where are they?, and some pretty poor performances in pre-season that saw us lose to 2 non-league sides and a League 2 team. Add in the general disquiet about the way the club is run (for the benefit of one man it would seem) and you can soon see why previously loyal supporters are p!ssed off. Just once, I would like to see Walsall FC surprise us by signing a player who excites us: where's our Jermaine Beckford? But it ain't gonna happen because "we'm a well-run club, ay we?" Well-run for the benefit of one man!

See - I think in a way Jackson was a Walsall Beckford, a striker who has struggled with form, been around the block and probably paid well. Beckford signing for bury is a hallmark of the fact they'll be left in the cack if they don't get promoted.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:34 am

Gripper wrote:Incredible - how many stayaways stay away because of fellow fans and not because of other reasons (Bonser etc.)? Cause after the crap I was hearing yesterday...I'm tempted to give up.

Whitney out? After 60 minutes 1 nil down to a team who will buy the league? Wow.

Some prat in the bar at half time slumped up the wall singing we are going down and then I saw him telling the players to fudge off as they applauded the travelling fans.... Wow.

I had a great weekend football aside, it will be a long season but just to remind people there are 45 games left....Whitney out on day 1...haha grow up.

So people voicing their opinion about wanting Whitney out will turn you away from going, but you are happy to spend £20 + travel + food etc to go and see us play like that?

Saying that I bet you are the type to get a bad meal in a restaurant and eat it with no complaints and then pay the bill and a tip. Anyway apologies for voicing my opinion I am off to stand in some compost in hopes I can grow up.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Its about time Walsall fans had a bit of needle, recently we have just seemed to accept shiteness.

Its a continuation from last season, because nothing has changed. Same football, same mistakes, same old drivel. This time, with a weaker squad.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:24 pm

latviancheese wrote:Its about time Walsall fans had a bit of needle, recently we have just seemed to accept shiteness.

Its a continuation from last season, because nothing has changed. Same football, same mistakes, same old drivel. This time, with a weaker squad.

This. Same old shithouses accepting the same old rubbish. Give your heads a wobble happy clappers.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Where are these happy clappers? I can't seem to find anybody saying that this was a good performance or that the team is in a good position. Just people moaning about them.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

El_Nombre wrote:Where are these happy clappers? I can't seem to find anybody saying that this was a good performance or that the team is in a good position. Just people moaning about them.

There are more and much larger social media platforms than UTS snowflake. I have seen many on Twitter and Facebook; people who always seem to accept the shite performances and shite management no matter what. On here it's mainly people having a pop at anyone remotely negative(You, Gripper, Optimitic, Walsallone ... the list goes on). I class those as happy clappers.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:Where are these happy clappers? I can't seem to find anybody saying that this was a good performance or that the team is in a good position. Just people moaning about them.

There are more and much larger social media platforms than UTS snowflake. I have seen many on Twitter and Facebook; people who always seem to accept the shite performances and shite management no matter what. On here it's mainly people having a pop at anyone remotely negative(You, Gripper, Optimitic, Walsallone ... the list goes on). I class those as happy clappers.

Happy Clappers, snowflake, Barclays. You are meme city aren't you :roll: :roll: :roll: Yet you are the one taking exception to people "having a pop".

Yes nobody ever posts ridiculous stuff on twitter and facebook. It's always really knowledgeable people posting well thought out things. Weird that you'd feel the need to post that here if you referring to other forms of social media.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:44 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Happy Clappers, snowflake, Barclays. You are meme city aren't you :roll: :roll: :roll: Yet you are the one taking exception to people "having a pop".

Yes nobody ever posts ridiculous stuff on twitter and facebook. It's always really knowledgeable people posting well thought out things.

Aww, bless. Snowflake :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:45 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Yes nobody ever posts ridiculous stuff on twitter and facebook. It's always really knowledgeable people posting well thought out things.

Jesus how pathetic can you be...

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:47 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Jesus how pathetic can you be...

Do not use the lords name in vain.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm

scott_powell wrote:

I never mentioned Ray Graydon.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I never mentioned Ray Graydon.

Touche.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 pm

chriss5471 wrote:

So people voicing their opinion about wanting Whitney out will turn you away from going, but you are happy to spend £20 + travel + food etc to go and see us play like that?

Saying that I bet you are the type to get a bad meal in a restaurant and eat it with no complaints and then pay the bill and a tip. Anyway apologies for voicing my opinion I am off to stand in some compost in hopes I can grow up.

Yes pal that's me. I bet you're the type to have a twitter photo where a dog is licking your face.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Gripper wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:

Yes pal that's me. I bet you're the type to have a twitter photo where a dog is licking your face.

He's sniffing it, at least stalk me correctly for Christ sake.

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:51 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
Gripper wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:

He's sniffing it, at least stalk me correctly for Christ sake.

Haha. That's the one. FFS.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:11 pm

I see I am described by SCOTT POWELL as a happy clapper....well I would rather be one of those than a continual moaner. However I am neither. I am a supporter of my club and team and proud to be so....as someone who followed the team through the dismal seventies and the even more dismal nineties the current situation is a vast improvement however I am not happy going into the season with no attacking threat and have posted many times to that effect.
I think the difference between me and many others is that I am realistic as to our prospects in the medium to long term. I see us a league 1 club who will make the championship when everything goes well and will then struggle because our core support is so low. Anyway I shall be there on Saturday supporting the team as usual.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Walsallone wrote:I see I am described by SCOTT POWELL as a happy clapper....well I would rather be one of those than a continual moaner. However I am neither. I am a supporter of my club and team and proud to be so....as someone who followed the team through the dismal seventies and the even more dismal nineties the current situation is a vast improvement however I am not happy going into the season with no attacking threat and have posted many times to that effect.
I think the difference between me and many others is that I am realistic as to our prospects in the medium to long term. I see us a league 1 club who will make the championship when everything goes well and will then struggle because our core support is so low. Anyway I shall be there on Saturday supporting the team as usual.

This!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1h_hmdVJAc

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 pm

saddla wrote:
Walsallone wrote:I see I am described by SCOTT POWELL as a happy clapper....well I would rather be one of those than a continual moaner. However I am neither. I am a supporter of my club and team and proud to be so....as someone who followed the team through the dismal seventies and the even more dismal nineties the current situation is a vast improvement however I am not happy going into the season with no attacking threat and have posted many times to that effect.

This!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1h_hmdVJAc

Greedy, selfish fool. :D

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:52 am

Walsallone wrote:..........as someone who followed the team through the dismal seventies .........

The Buckley years...................dismal ?

The years of................. Villa being walloped..............George Andrews......................Colin Taylor.......................Man Utd slain............Don Penn's promotion ....................Supermac shamed.........Mower's afro..........premiership Leicester City dumped..................half time scoreboards.............5300+ regulars.............and the Buck himself ?

I call them the glory years................. :D :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 am

Perhaps I should have been more precise KEVLAR...

1970/71-20th gates around 3,000-4,000
1971/72-9th gates starting at around 3,000 improving as season progressed
1972/73-17th gates 3,500 -4500
1973/74 15th gates fluctuating between 3,000 and 5,000
after that there was some improvement until 1978/79 when we were relegated and the gates fell rapidly to around 2,500 at the end of the season.

Our highest position in the decade was 7th and despite playing some really good football towards the end of the decade(excluding 78/79) we never threatened promotion.
Although we got promoted at the first attempt from Division 4 in 1979/80
we struggled for 2 seasons finishing 20th until a crop of good young players came through such as Rees,Preece Shakespeare etc who together with some astute signings Childs,Handysides,Cross,Brown etc led us to the glory years of the Buckley managerial era.
I think that "potted" history shows how difficult it is for a club like ours to have sustainable success and as supporters we have to accept that in some seasons we will struggle whilst in other we will shine.
One other point in 1984/5 the season after our great semi final against Liverpool had gates of 3585 against Gillingham and 2775 against Plymouth!!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 am

The 70s and the 80s were ace! We had some great football, the Hillary Street End and all was well in the world.

The early 90s were crap. Improved in 1995, reaching a zenith under Graydon.

Fox/Dann sales heralded a new era of austerity, now predictably replicated year on year so it has become the norm.

Can you imagine today hanging on to someone like Preece? Kelly? Rees? Shakespeare? Kearns? and allowing them to be nurtured for anything more than a couple of seasons before cynically cashing in for a quick hit of cash?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:12 am

If this site had been going in 80/81 and 81/82 when we finished 20th twice escaping relegation by a whisker some people would have been on a moanathon :D but the good times came again as they always do !!! Thats why I know they will come again soon.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 am

Walsallone wrote:If this site had been going in 80/81 and 81/82 when we finished 20th twice escaping relegation by a whisker some people would have been on a moanathon :D but the good times came again as they always do !!! Thats why I know they will come again soon.

Genuine question: How do you think we'll do this season?

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:42 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Walsallone wrote:If this site had been going in 80/81 and 81/82 when we finished 20th twice escaping relegation by a whisker some people would have been on a moanathon :D but the good times came again as they always do !!! Thats why I know they will come again soon.

Genuine question: How do you think we'll do this season?

I have no idea. But it will have exciting moments as well as disappointing ones. It's a roller coaster :mrgreen:

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Genuine answer SAIGON....if we don't sign a least 3 forward players we will struggle to avoid relegation. I have posted a number of times that we lack the ability to create and score goals and that is where I would have spent the bulk of the budget. Having said that SADDLA may be right and it may become a bit of a rollercoaster. My hope for the season is that some of the younger players Bakayoko,Kouyhar,Flanagan,Kinsella etc will show that they can play and play well at this level. If that happens we may do better than we all think.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 pm

Walsallone wrote:Genuine answer SAIGON....if we don't sign a least 3 forward players we will struggle to avoid relegation. I have posted a number of times that we lack the ability to create and score goals and that is where I would have spent the bulk of the budget. Having said that SADDLA may be right and it may become a bit of a rollercoaster. My hope for the season is that some of the younger players Bakayoko,Kouyhar,Flanagan,Kinsella etc will show that they can play and play well at this level. If that happens we may do better than we all think.

Of course it'll be a rollercoaster, any and every season is, and I don't think anyone has suggested we'll lose every game.

For my part, I think we are destined to finish in the lower half, with a higher probability of the bottom 4 than since we went up under Money. I have previously backed managers and the general Walsall situation when some were claiming disaster. The realisation that I've come to, and am entitled to based on mounting evidence, is that the 4k lost a week is significantly hampering our chances of even remaining in this division, let alone sustaining a relevant push to the next one.

Still 'shut up and support the club'. :| :D

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Well in the end we don't disagree about this season or indeed about the freehold problem which does need resolving. Anyway I suppose we should just sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 pm

Walsallone wrote:Well in the end we don't disagree about this season or indeed about the freehold problem which does need resolving. Anyway I suppose we should just sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster :D

I predict another part of the ride tonight! :D

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 pm

chriss5471 wrote:Anyway apologies for voicing my opinion I am off to stand in some compost in hopes I can grow up.

Make sure it's compost not sand you stand in. The latter may be full of people with their heads buried in it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season