Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
TWM1962
UTS Regular

Re: Bury (A) League One, 5th August 3pm

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Well - just got back from Spain for this. We were on top and should have gone in at half time with everything to play for. Then we came out and looked useless. Like all teams around us they have invested in half decent quality strikers!! Still we have the Whittney's upper hand.. Bonser's fist -- typlical as usual. Perhaps the Mole will come out before we take a Gamble on investing in "what ever you preferred to put up with".. waste of mine and your money !!!!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 pm

I had a great time at the Test match at Old Trafford watching some world class players........It looks like we competed well for 45 minutes but our lack of creativity and firepower found us ou as we all knew it would. Three players with some experience please....a CF,CM and winger.One other point I don't think we can play 442 and expect Ozzie to play well!!!

One time faithful

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 pm

I genuinely laughed aloud reading his comments.
He complains about narrow play and no width saying he's going to work on it...who with, we have no wide players. I'm all for giving people a chance. I don't think there's enough loyalty shown in football but I just don't get anything coming from him that says he will come good.

Bit of controversy but I think if the timings of appointments were switched with o Driscoll we would be in a better position. At the time Witney could have got us over the line then a proper manager could of built a team in the championship.
Last edited by One time faithful on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:30 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Oh look, a goal from a set piece. Maybe I was right when I said they should have spent the time at boot camp on the training pitch practicing defending/attacking set pieces :roll:

Yeah they haven't had time in the month since, I bet...

So the boot camp wasn't meant to prepare us for the first pre-season friendly. Now it was nothing to do with preparing us for the first game of the season. What was it in aid of? giving Mr #believe chance to whitter on about every player having run 200,000 miles each or whatever bullshit is his current favourite boast?

Let's fudge practice football Whitless. Afterall, footballers are their profession not fudge army cadets :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:34 pm

tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Oh look, a goal from a set piece. Maybe I was right when I said they should have spent the time at boot camp on the training pitch practicing defending/attacking set pieces :roll:

So the boot camp wasn't meant to prepare us for the first pre-season friendly. Now it was nothing to do with preparing us for the first game of the season. What was it in aid of? giving Mr #believe chance to whitter on about every player having run 200,000 miles each or whatever bullshit is his current favourite boast?

Let's fudge practice football Whitless. Afterall, footballers are their profession not fudge army cadets :evil:

There was some marvellous pass and move 60 yards from goal. :D :wink:

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:59 pm

At least we ay bottom :) . Yet :( .
Give 'I'm til Christmas? :(

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I thought it was an OK away performance in the first half against a very poor-looking Bury (they have one of the few managers in the Football League I wouldn't rather have than Whitney). But after conceding we couldn't change the mindset from keep solid / satisfied with a point and if we're lucky snatch all three, to anything else. We still seemed to be playing a containing game.

I hoped that the "surprise" in team selection promised by Whitney beforehand would be to provide some tangible channel for offensive play. Everyone's going on about the strikers being lacking - and that's undoubtedly true - but it doesn't really matter who gets picked up front if we have a right back with no real attacking instincts playing on the left wing, a hopelessly out of sorts player whose development has gone backwards fast ever since Dean Smith left over on the right wing, and a solitary attacking tactic which persists from day one of last season to give the ball to Erhun Oztumer and hope he can work a miracle. But he can't do it, not every week, he wouldn't be playing for us if he could. We need something more.

Defensively we looked pretty solid (sounds daft given we conceded from a set piece and also gave two penalties away, but it was a big step up from most of last season) but without significant tactical changes further up the pitch, we're going to be in for a desperate struggle.

Attritional football that produces positive results is fine, and before Dean Smith I would have taken that as the best we could realistically aspire to. Attritional football that doesn't produce results is dire to watch, creates a horrible atmosphere amongst the fans (I can't remember hearing such hostility towards the manager and some players on the opening day of a season before) and if that's really what our new footballing blueprint is then these are going to be bleak times.

Enniskillen
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm

On a positive note - we aren't Yeovil

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 pm

Crap board. Crap manager.

Not going to say the players are as a lot are young or new to the team, and will give them time. Can't remember being as concerned after one game though... surely there must be players to come in?

Could be a long season gents.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 pm

JW tells us he has spunked his budget on defenders so that we are more tough and robust. The output of this is we still concede from a set piece and give away 2 penalties!
JW reflects and says it was because we had no width but has done nothing to rectify this in pre-season!
Last season scoring goals was an issue and JW has used pre-season to ignore this fact. Then tells us Bury set up to beat us 1-0. Well that is all teams will need to muster given we won't be causing too much trouble at their end of the pitch!
His plan to bore the arse off us by being defensive minded collapsed in 45 mins as we give away a penalty and concede from a set piece. The response, 2 shots on target in 90 mins.
I can't be bothered to drive back from holiday for the game on Saturday. I'm not excited enough to do it. Talking to old man about strikers I have seen over the years, there was a long list and then the current set of Jackson and Bakayoko, I had to laugh to stop myself from crying!
I had convinced myself this week that I would give Whitney a chance but summing up everything that has gone on in pre-season, his recruitment, today and his idiotic after match comments he has to go and very quickly.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:11 am

tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

It wasn't to prepare for any singular match. It was to improve fitness and team ethic.

To pretend we conceded from yet another set piece because of a 3 day fitness and psychology camp over a month ago is ridiculous.

I guarantee you that's been worked on in training. Which says to me the coaching isn't good enough. Literallly nothing to do with a boot camp.

UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:35 am

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:00 am

You've gotta give Whitney a clean slate for this season.

So far, 1 game, 2 penalties conceded and a 1-0 defeat.

Not great, but Bury are going to be a strong side this season.

Judge him after 5-10 games, forget last season.

If after 10 games we are showing the same signs - i.e. Defensive fragility and nothing going forward then we must act.

The sceptic in me says this is all Bonsers plan. He likes to get away with spending as little money as possible, if things go tits up, put the call out for loan players in October and spunk a small amount on short term solution, no long term commitment and it shuts the fans up and doesn't harm his bank balance, it's his modus operandi.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:03 am

Guest wrote:What's the point?

https://youtu.be/N3nJTtp8LA8

Wow. How many red shirts around Beckford and not one of them jumped to challenge him for that header. :?

PT
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:50 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Guest wrote:What's the point?

https://youtu.be/N3nJTtp8LA8

Wow. How many red shirts around Beckford and not one of them jumped to challenge him for that header. :?

Yeah but how good is Beckford at abseiling?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:26 am

Come on you have to give credit for the assist, it was a fantastic flick on, they must have spent hours on the training ground practicing that, just a pity we can't do it up the right end :mrgreen:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:40 am

Bristol Fan wrote:I thought it was an OK away performance in the first half against a very poor-looking Bury (they have one of the few managers in the Football League I wouldn't rather have than Whitney). But after conceding we couldn't change the mindset from keep solid / satisfied with a point and if we're lucky snatch all three, to anything else. We still seemed to be playing a containing game.

I hoped that the "surprise" in team selection promised by Whitney beforehand would be to provide some tangible channel for offensive play. Everyone's going on about the strikers being lacking - and that's undoubtedly true - but it doesn't really matter who gets picked up front if we have a right back with no real attacking instincts playing on the left wing, a hopelessly out of sorts player whose development has gone backwards fast ever since Dean Smith left over on the right wing, and a solitary attacking tactic which persists from day one of last season to give the ball to Erhun Oztumer and hope he can work a miracle. But he can't do it, not every week, he wouldn't be playing for us if he could. We need something more.

Defensively we looked pretty solid (sounds daft given we conceded from a set piece and also gave two penalties away, but it was a big step up from most of last season) but without significant tactical changes further up the pitch, we're going to be in for a desperate struggle.

Attritional football that produces positive results is fine, and before Dean Smith I would have taken that as the best we could realistically aspire to. Attritional football that doesn't produce results is dire to watch, creates a horrible atmosphere amongst the fans (I can't remember hearing such hostility towards the manager and some players on the opening day of a season before) and if that's really what our new footballing blueprint is then these are going to be bleak times.

Good summing up in my view, defensively I feel more confident but as you state, playing Edwards in a position that he may be adequate in just because he is such a versatile player is not adding anything constructive to the team. He and Chambers worked their wotsits off for the entire match covering for the painfully absent Morris who wanders around like someone who has just seen an alien and Oztumer who is missing someone to play with who can utilise his skills ie no one to pass to, no one making any runs.
Well early days I suppose and we do have Devlin to come in to complete the back four, Kinsella had a good game but I felt he was under orders not to venture to far upfront as part of our game plan. Keeper, great penalty save for the first but thought the second award was a little harsh and happy to see that one hit the post. Their goal - lucky :!:
Finally, couldn't understand the chants of Whitney out on the opening day of the new season, we've got some thick fans.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:42 am

Having watched the "highlights" I am surprised no one has praised the keeper who did well with penalties...I seem to recall he was written off after the Solihull match!!! As for the Bury goal it was very unlucky....Edwards did the right thing in covering the incoming free kick and the ball went straight to Beckford...it could have gone anywhere!!!
We certainly need some more attacking players, at least 3 in my opinion and we need to sort out the Preston/O'Connor messes which seem to be of our own making but yesterday's result was not too bad when you look at the relative strengths of the attacks available.

coop63
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:16 am

I wasn't there so can only observe from highlughts and reading the web press etc

Last season Bury scored tons of goals (same as Bradford from what another poster wrote elsewhere) but they conceded too many - hence them scraping by etc

They are probably set up to do the same again after a huge turnover of staff but loads of attacking options available - Looking at the facts of a 1-0 win and 2 pens (even though it appears we played quite well first half) this seems to be the case anyway.... we probably got away with it yesterday with a great performance from Gillespie....

Perhaps obviously the issue for us is so plain and simple it hurts to keep bloody saying it - WE HAVE NO THREAT UP FRONT UP.... without rectifying this our season will be nothing but long, hard and painful to watch.....

So they have 2 options and both revolve around the manager being realistic (not headstrong and emotional - as he clearly operates on this level far too much of the time) - he either gets his finger out and signs a striking option urgently or he'll probably be gone by the end of November..

I genuinely can't see another alternative (unless you folks were there yesterday saw enough to suggest the defence is good enough to never to concede more than one and we get lucky with our less than average existing strike options..

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 am

The samaritans must be overworked now with walsall fans jumping off buildings or slitting their wrists.

We lost 1-0 away to a team who have spent a fortune on the likes of Beckford. It was a forgone conclusion to anyone with half a brain that we were going to lose that one. I will reserve judgement until I see how we get on against Oldham next week.

ps I think we'll lose at Sheffield on Wednesday night too unless they put their kids out. I'm not worried by the prospect.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 am

Walsallone wrote:Having watched the "highlights" I am surprised no one has praised the keeper who did well with penalties...I seem to recall he was written off after the Solihull match!!! As for the Bury goal it was very unlucky....Edwards did the right thing in covering the incoming free kick and the ball went straight to Beckford...it could have gone anywhere!!!
We certainly need some more attacking players, at least 3 in my opinion and we need to sort out the Preston/O'Connor messes which seem to be of our own making but yesterday's result was not too bad when you look at the relative strengths of the attacks available.

If it wasn't for Gillespie the result would have been what most fans thought it would be, a 3 nil loss, it is just a pity that his man of the match performance didn't yield anything , and was so deserving of a different result? I am also surprised that no one mentioned the awful referee performance. I must also add that it is great to have a bit of a tank centre half at the back in Wilson. Can't help thinking that With that in mind he should have been man marking Beckford though

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:10 am

This is becoming more and more Merson-esque.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am

El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

It wasn't to prepare for any singular match. It was to improve fitness and team ethic.

To pretend we conceded from yet another set piece because of a 3 day fitness and psychology camp over a month ago is ridiculous.

I guarantee you that's been worked on in training. Which says to me the coaching isn't good enough. Literallly nothing to do with a boot camp.

It was a waste of fudge time!!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:12 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Failing to grasp the importance of team building shows a lack of understanding in the management of men but let us not forget there are those that lead and those that are born to follow.............probably :)

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:54 pm

Cully wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:I thought it was an OK away performance in the first half against a very poor-looking Bury (they have one of the few managers in the Football League I wouldn't rather have than Whitney). But after conceding we couldn't change the mindset from keep solid / satisfied with a point and if we're lucky snatch all three, to anything else. We still seemed to be playing a containing game.

Good summing up in my view, defensively I feel more confident but as you state, playing Edwards in a position that he may be adequate in just because he is such a versatile player is not adding anything constructive to the team. He and Chambers worked their wotsits off for the entire match covering for the painfully absent Morris who wanders around like someone who has just seen an alien and Oztumer who is missing someone to play with who can utilise his skills ie no one to pass to, no one making any runs.
Well early days I suppose and we do have Devlin to come in to complete the back four, Kinsella had a good game but I felt he was under orders not to venture to far upfront as part of our game plan. Keeper, great penalty save for the first but thought the second award was a little harsh and happy to see that one hit the post. Their goal - lucky :!:
Finally, couldn't understand the chants of Whitney out on the opening day of the new season, we've got some thick fans.

Just logged on to contribute my thoughts on yesterday's game, but you two have pretty much nailed how I see things too.

We look very workmanlike. The two centre halves look like decent signings and Chambers, Cuvelier & Edwards are half decent League One midfielders. As others have pointed out though, when you decide your first choice XI for the first game of the season needs Joe Edwards on the left of midfield, alarm bells start ringing. I actually really like Edwards and have no issue with him being in the team, but don't shoehorn him in wide on the left and expect to threaten in the final third.

What this signifies is exactly what Smith's seclections signififed during those horrible winless runs a few years ago - we're set up to stop the opposition scoring and absolutely nothing more. The tactic, the blueprint, the system, is to keep it tight at the back and hope for a defensive mistake, or a goal from a set piece down the other end. It's not enough, I'm afraid.

Now, in spite of all this, I completely disagree with the Whitney out chants on the first day of the season and I am willing to give him the time to bring in one or two more in the next couple of weeks. By the end of this month though, anything short of a clear style, and a team that tries to make the opposition think about us rather than the other way round, will have me join the Whitney out camp.

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Incredible - how many stayaways stay away because of fellow fans and not because of other reasons (Bonser etc.)? Cause after the crap I was hearing yesterday...I'm tempted to give up.

Whitney out? After 60 minutes 1 nil down to a team who will buy the league? Wow.

Some prat in the bar at half time slumped up the wall singing we are going down and then I saw him telling the players to fudge off as they applauded the travelling fans.... Wow.

I had a great weekend football aside, it will be a long season but just to remind people there are 45 games left....Whitney out on day 1...haha grow up.
Last edited by Gripper on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:54 pm

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Ok Pep...

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 am

Walsallone wrote:Having watched the "highlights" I am surprised no one has praised the keeper who did well with penalties...I seem to recall he was written off after the Solihull match!!! As for the Bury goal it was very unlucky....Edwards did the right thing in covering the incoming free kick and the ball went straight to Beckford...it could have gone anywhere!!!

WO - I've praised Gillespie for his performance- there's no doubt he's a good shot stopper- it's decision-making that looks a little shaky. I really hope he does well. And what I'd give for us to sign a player like Beckford - he's worth 15-20 points a season - and he came across very well in the aftermatch interviews as well.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 am

Gripper wrote:Incredible - how many stayaways stay away because of fellow fans and not because of other reasons (Bonser etc.)? Cause after the crap I was hearing yesterday...I'm tempted to give up.

Whitney out? After 60 minutes 1 nil down to a team who will buy the league? Wow.

Some prat in the bar at half time slumped up the wall singing we are going down and then I saw him telling the players to fudge off as they applauded the travelling fans.... Wow.

I had a great weekend football aside, it will be a long season but just to remind people there are 45 games left....Whitney out on day 1...haha grow up.

Gripper - I agree with you about it being a bit early for the "Whitney Out" chants after one game, but this is a continuation of our dismal surrender at the end of last season, the uninspiring transfer dealings over the summer - we all know we need a striker and a winger: where are they?, and some pretty poor performances in pre-season that saw us lose to 2 non-league sides and a League 2 team. Add in the general disquiet about the way the club is run (for the benefit of one man it would seem) and you can soon see why previously loyal supporters are p!ssed off. Just once, I would like to see Walsall FC surprise us by signing a player who excites us: where's our Jermaine Beckford? But it ain't gonna happen because "we'm a well-run club, ay we?" Well-run for the benefit of one man!

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 am

saddlertd wrote:
Gripper wrote:Incredible - how many stayaways stay away because of fellow fans and not because of other reasons (Bonser etc.)? Cause after the crap I was hearing yesterday...I'm tempted to give up.

Gripper - I agree with you about it being a bit early for the "Whitney Out" chants after one game, but this is a continuation of our dismal surrender at the end of last season, the uninspiring transfer dealings over the summer - we all know we need a striker and a winger: where are they?, and some pretty poor performances in pre-season that saw us lose to 2 non-league sides and a League 2 team. Add in the general disquiet about the way the club is run (for the benefit of one man it would seem) and you can soon see why previously loyal supporters are p!ssed off. Just once, I would like to see Walsall FC surprise us by signing a player who excites us: where's our Jermaine Beckford? But it ain't gonna happen because "we'm a well-run club, ay we?" Well-run for the benefit of one man!

To be fair this is the exact reason why those chants shouldn't be aimed at Whitney and should be aimed at that one man you are talking about.

He's not the man for the job, he showed that when he got demolished with a team that finished 3rd at his disposal in the play offs for me and hasn't shown me much else since. I like his attitude and his work ethic but those are the hallmarks of a good coach not a manager.

But quite frankly, Jose Mourinho couldn't do much of a job at Walsall if you demolish that squad, and only reinvest half of the value you lose from that first team quality back in, then claim you have the biggest budget in this clubs history in this division yet clearly can't entice a striker here with those fund or in fact afford to have any depth whatsoever.

PreviousNext
Return to 2017-18 Season