Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chasetown (A) 27th July, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Chasetown (A) 27th July, 7.45pm

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Yet another pre-season friendly (to see whether we can unearth a striker from somewhere....)

Fish
UTS Veteran

Re: Chasetown (A) 27th July, 7.45pm

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 pm

1-0 Saddlers at half time. Tobias Hayles-Docherty with a smart strike across the keeper into the far corner.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:29 pm

.... a second half hat-trick for Mitch Candlin ....

EDIT: To clarify- an eight minute hat-trick for Mitch Candlin.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:22 pm

EvenFlow wrote:.... a second half hat-trick for Mitch Candlin ....

Three really well taken goals, with a nice bit of swagger.

BUT, watch out for Milan Butterfield. On tonight's showing, that lad is going to be some footballer, and when he fills out he's going to be a beast - not least because he's about seven foot twelve. The kid is a real talent, he can tackle, he can pass, he can drive past players, he can shoot - he's got a real football brain too. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him in the first team before the end of the season... and then out of the door next (off to Brentford with various sell on's!). Really impressive.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Fish wrote:

BUT, watch out for Milan Butterfield. On tonight's showing, that lad is going to be some footballer, and when he fills out he's going to be a beast - not least because he's about seven foot twelve. The kid is a real talent, he can tackle, he can pass, he can drive past players, he can shoot - he's got a real football brain too. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him in the first team before the end of the season... and then out of the door next (off to Brentford with various sell on's!). Really impressive.

good to hear that fish :wink: but trust me the bit about him buggering off to brentford or anywhere else with various sell on's will not help the club one iota. The only thing us fans will get out of it is the pleasure of watching him for as long as he plays :|

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Fish wrote:

As I said on my "Not so Serious Questions" thread my son was also very impressed with Butterfield at Stafford. But has he signed a Contract? It would be nice if the Club would confirm. I am guessing he probably has as he is featuring in the Development squad' pre season games whereas Matt Preston has not featured in the last 2 first team games.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Mike T. wrote:
Fish wrote:

As I said on my "Not so Serious Questions" thread my son was also very impressed with Butterfield at Stafford. But has he signed a Contract? It would be nice if the Club would confirm. I am guessing he probably has as he is featuring in the Development squad' pre season games whereas Matt Preston has not featured in the last 2 first team games.

Good news Mike, yes he has signed. He's been given a one year contract. BTW, I didn't realise that he was recommended by Kyle Lightbourne. I think that that one year contract might need to be extended pretty sharpish.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... tterfield/

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Fish wrote:https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2016/06/14/walsall-sign-up-kacy-milan-butterfield/

That article is over a year old!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 pm

He's got a similar physique to Osbourne.

Was surprised he didn't feature at the end of last season in the dead games.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:He's got a similar physique to Osbourne.

Was surprised he didn't feature at the end of last season in the dead games.
Is he our new wonder kid? another rico? for some insignificant club to buy him with add ons and promises of greatness that never materialise? can't wait :|

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:59 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Fish wrote:https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2016/06/14/walsall-sign-up-kacy-milan-butterfield/

That article is over a year old!

So it is. Sorry, missed that. That's what lacking detail consciousness does for you!

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:31 am

Play him in the middle of a back three?

Return to 2017-18 Season