Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Pre-season - Solihull Moors 15 July, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Pre-season - Solihull Moors 15 July, 3pm

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 pm

scott_powell wrote:So apparently boot camp matters but losing to a dogshite team doesn't? :lol: If you think this result has no effect then you are mad. No player likes to lose.

Apparently a boot camp sets the team up perfectly for the battles ahead but when we lose the first battle against lower opposition it doesn't count.

#makeitupasyougoalong

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:So apparently boot camp matters but losing to a dogshite team doesn't? :lol: If you think this result has no effect then you are mad. No player likes to lose.

Apparently a boot camp sets the team up perfectly for the battles ahead but when we lose the first battle against lower opposition it doesn't count.

#makeitupasyougoalong

This. 100% this.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

chunkster wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:I can't really slag off any player after watching one half of a pre-season friendly.
However, Gillespie is a complete buffoon.

After we signed him, I watched those play off highlights, and thought, is this REALLY the goalie we intend to be our No.1?
What happens when he is so bad that he HAS to be dropped, there's no one else...........................

Liam roberts must be more ready than we thought :|

Roberts was pretty decent in the first half. First look at Gillespie today and if I was Liam Roberts I'd be expecting plenty of game time this year.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 am

leics_saddler wrote:I can't really slag off any player after watching one half of a pre-season friendly.

You just did.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:02 am

scott_powell wrote:So many contradictions from the happy clappers it's laughable :lol:

What contradictions would they be?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:

You just did.

Yes, that was the idea.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 am

Ok some of them may be not very good footballers but they are fantastic at abseiling.

The General
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:15 am

In a friendly where there is normally limited physical contact it should favour the side with the greater technical ability.That is what we say when we get turned over by the Villa or Man Utds third team.
So we have to face the reality that our current squad is at about Conference level.I think JW almost admitted that in his post match interview.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 am

El_Nombre wrote:
scott_powell wrote:So many contradictions from the happy clappers it's laughable :lol:

Obsessed

Refer you here for starters

tinned wrote:

#makeitupasyougoalong

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:45 am

scott_powell wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

Obsessed

Refer you here for starters

tinned wrote:

#makeitupasyougoalong

Haha as if you weren't aiming that at me though. But I'm obsessed. Ok mate.

Yep I know what other people have said. I asked you your opinion. I fail to see the contradiction. A boot camp and a preseason friendly have two completely different objectives. In fact the boot camp may have had a negative effect on this fixture being so close to an intense training schedule like that. In fact I think Whitney said as much in his post match interview.

But like I said elsewhere, if they did the boot camp to prepare them for a friendly against Solihull moors then it really was a waste of money.

It comes across as obsessed because you chat nothing but absolute beans mate.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:29 am

It wasn't even aimed at you you sap.

You completely miss the point as you do on most posts. I'm starting to believe you're genuinely stupid. You don't have to agree, but you lack the ability to actually understand any points people make on here.

I'm not replying to you on here anymore. If you want to continue the conversation find me on twitter or Facebook. Tara a bit.

If you find all this insulting then Cest la vie. Man up.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:54 am

scott_powell wrote:It wasn't even aimed at you you sap.

You completely miss the point as you do on most posts. I'm starting to believe you're genuinely stupid. You don't have to agree, but you lack the ability to actually understand any points people make on here.

I'm not replying to you on here anymore. If you want to continue the conversation find me on twitter or Facebook. Tara a bit.

If you find all this insulting then Cest la vie. Man up.

Haha that's the most arrogant thing I've ever read. Nah mate your alright.

Considering I answered your point directly and you can't even address mine Im happy with that.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Oh its going to be a chore reading this section of the forum over the next few months.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Oh its going to be a chore reading this section of the forum over the next few months.

I know, right!?

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Some of my predictions for the coming season based on yesterdays friendlies:

Watford will be nailed on bottom 3 after losing against Wimbledon. Wimbledon crowned champions with 5 games to spare.
Hull going into free-fall after losing to Oxford. League 1 certainties.
Gillingham are a dead team walking. Could only manage a draw against Dover. Relegated by Christmas
Bristol Rovers are gonners already. Could only muster a 1 - 1 draw against Gloucester
Looks like Shrewsbury are going to swap places with Villa in the Championship after the Sloppies magnificent 2-1 win at home yesterday
Port Fale going down to the fifth tier after scraping a draw with lowly Buxton
Barnsley heading back to league One after a shocking 2-1 loss against Grimsby

You heard it here first.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 pm

just come back from my nephews lads footy tournament And got talking to an old mate .And after going to yesterdays game he confirmed that Gillespie was and is rubbish.If that is true then coming to Walsall is probably the worst career move of all time, because if there was a league for teams that had fans that had the ability to destroy a players confidence,then we would be top every season :lol:

barnslanesaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:47 pm

I have been saying all summer we should sign the former Burton Albion keeper McClaughlin, very experienced keeper at this level, always impressed me, also at the right age for a goalkeeper. With our fragile defence we need an experienced keeper this season more than ever.

I still don't think he has found a new club yet neither.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:04 pm

chunkster wrote:
just come back from my nephews lads footy tournament And got talking to an old mate .And after going to yesterdays game he confirmed that Gillespie was and is rubbish.If that is true then coming to Walsall is probably the worst career move of all time, because if there was a league for teams that had fans that had the ability to destroy a players confidence,then we would be top every season :lol:

So true Chunkster. The best players over the past few years ( Deeney, Fryatt, Grigg) got slagged off before moving on to be successful elsewhere. Gillespie plays half a game in a Walsall shirt and he is called a buffoon. Welcome to Walsall FC Mark. Unless you play like De Gea,week in week out, you are going to get a pasting from our resident experts. :roll:

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm

tinned wrote:

#makeitupasyougoalong

The boot camp was a complete success. We would have lost 7 - 2 if we hadn't have gone. I know my football me.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:45 pm

DonningtonSaddler wrote:Some of my predictions for the coming season based on yesterdays friendlies:

Watford will be nailed on bottom 3 after losing against Wimbledon. Wimbledon crowned champions with 5 games to spare.
Gillingham are a dead team walking. Could only manage a draw against Dover. Relegated by Christmas
Bristol Rovers are gonners already. Could only muster a 1 - 1 draw against Gloucester
Looks like Shrewsbury are going to swap places with Villa in the Championship after the Sloppies magnificent 2-1 win at home yesterday

You heard it here first.

Good work sir.

By itself, yesterday is a complete irrelevance. But if you tack it onto the awful last day where we were completely outclassed by a mid-table side which you then tack onto the game before where we were beaten at home by relegation fodder Vale, then tack that onto the no-show at bottom of the league Coventry then reflect on the fact that we've lost some of the better players from those games last season and you realise that yesterday wasn't some freakish result you get in meaningless kickabouts like those others you mention. It was in fact the rather predictable continuation of us being nowhere near good enough for the Third Division

I'm hoping for some kind of football miracle to kick-in come August.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:34 pm

PT wrote:
DonningtonSaddler wrote:Some of my predictions for the coming season based on yesterdays friendlies:

You heard it here first.

Good work sir.

By itself, yesterday is a complete irrelevance. But if you tack it onto the awful last day where we were completely outclassed by a mid-table side which you then tack onto the game before where we were beaten at home by relegation fodder Vale, then tack that onto the no-show at bottom of the league Coventry then reflect on the fact that we've lost some of the better players from those games last season and you realise that yesterday wasn't some freakish result you get in meaningless kickabouts like those others you mention. It was in fact the rather predictable continuation of us being nowhere near good enough for the Third Division

El-Nombre will tell you that you are being overly dramatic, and that we will actually WIN the 3rd Division (no smiley faces he disapproves!)

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:

You heard it here first.

Good work sir.

El-Nombre will tell you that you are being overly dramatic, and that we will actually WIN the 3rd Division (no smiley faces he disapproves!)

Naww bless you, I must have hurt your feelings with the smiley faces comment. At least I didn't call you a nob or something.

I sincerely apologies for hurting your feelings.

I'll point out though that I don't think I have ever, at any point this preseason or in fact for many years predicted us to win the league. But hey, making S*** up to fit what you are saying is kind of your thing so there ya go.

Thinking we might get relegated next year is perfectly reasonable. Imagining we are standing on the edge of the abyss, which is what you predicted, is complete nonsense and yes, is being overly dramatic.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:24 am

The Moor's opening fixture in the Conference today postponed because of safety issues over their ground. :shock:

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season