Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

LMA Manager of the Year 2018

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

LMA Manager of the Year 2018

Wed May 16, 2018 7:42 am

Another indication of the growing chasm between football's mindset and my own...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44134078

Can someone please explain to me on what planet John Coleman didn't walk off with the main prize? Is winning your division at a canter, in spite of having probably the lowest budget in the Football League, somehow less impressive than utilising the highest to somehow see off Huddersfield, Bournemouth, and Brighton on a weekly basis?

Similar story a division down. While I've even surprised myself how little Wolves' ascent has bothered me, this really sticks in my craw- Cardiff have achieved, fundamentally, the same thing, only instead of agents on the payroll parachuting Porto first-teamers in, Warnock has had to do by signing Neil Etheridge and Gary Madine.

Just to confirm no sour grapes (someone is surely shouting it, about now), at least they got it right in League One, and didn't just lazily plump for one of the top two: Paul Hurst- fully deserved.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: LMA Manager of the Year 2018

Wed May 16, 2018 8:27 am

To be fair, there is winning the league and then there is what Guardiola has done.

Don't forget it's not as easy as opening your cheque book and there you have it otherwise they would win it every year whoever was in charge. Chelsea won it twice since the last time City won it and of course the Leicester season. I'm not even sure they have spent as much as United in recent seasons.

But it's also the manner in which they have achieved it. 100 points in a 38 games is something Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger and so on have never achieved, despite themselves having a few bob to spend relative to the rest of the leagues at the time. And then you have the football being played. In the league they have played superb football this season. Easily the most aesthetically pleasing. Again, people may say well they have the budget to do, but look at the football being played at United and Chelsea, clubs on a similar budget (that final will be painful by the way).

Agree on Nuno Vs Warnock though. Taking nothing away from Wolves but what Warnock has done this year is genuinely incredible.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Re: LMA Manager of the Year 2018

Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

Should have given it to Sam Allardyce . Seven million payoff in two years ? If only I could be that incompitent.

Runner up ..................Pardew, his payoffs would make even Bonser's eyes water.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League