Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Putin's Russia the new old enemy.

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Putin's Russia the new old enemy.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm

The use of a weapon's grade nerve agent, developed explicitly by Russia, is an act of war.

These need a slap down and it's time to gather allies, so let's have a look.

France are our first and best, as they have been consistently since the 1850s. The rest of the EU also making positive noises.

America? Tillerson came out in support, but has now been sacked by Trump. THE SILENCE IS DEAFENING from the orange cack gibbon.

What have the Russians got on Trump?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Putin's Russia the new old enemy.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 pm

And it just got even more interesting..........
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43385998

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

Our defence forces have been decimated over the last few years, no one takes us serious as a force anymore, and the russians know that we would get any help from the yanks, we are just a base in the atlantic ocean for their missiles :|

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:27 pm

The whole question of Russia is fascinating and the stuff of horror movies.
From their revolution against cruel and corrupt aristocrats through the communist "paradise" which had to have walls to keep people in to the present where really it's an oppressive, almost inhuman, paranoid leadership still ruling with cruelty and arrogance.

The allies have missed out on many chances to rub out the Russians.
After the Second World War when we had nukes and they didn't plus more recently when communism collapsed and they had no money or authority.

I suspect that their recent announcement of super-weapons will help Trump to get a bigger "defence" budget.
But at the same time it will further bankrupt Russia.
So what's their game?

Anyway, because their leaders are not quite human and could in fact be insane, they seem to be a threat again.

I expect the recent events will result in the allies quietly applying further pressure such as more petrol price reductions as the Russian economy is still petrol driven.
Drive them into starvation and this time keep on and on until their people rise up again.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm

The sanctions on Russia after they invaded Ukraine actually affected me :( i bought a nice piece of land in between 3 golf courses overlooking the sea in Bulgaria, with the intention of selling it to some rich rusky a few years down the line for a good profit. but i think since 2005 the ruble has halved in value, thereby ending my money making scheme :|

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Fascinating programme on BBC2 last night - "Putin: The New Tsar". Interesting how he changed from his friendly approach to the US and UK in his early days to securing huge payments from the oligarchs whom he took on (amassing enormous personal wealth) and dealing with dissenters in a way that Momentum will be in awe of and running the country as a dictatorship. Remember how Garry Kasparov stood in the presidential campaign in 2007? The video footage and story of his arrest is quite an eye opener. Together with the murder near the Kremlin of Boris Nemtsov.

Plenty of other high ranking personal accounts in the programme. Well worth watching if you've not seen it.

Dangerous times. Putin must feel untouchable.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

As has been mentioned many times on the radio this past week, there's not a lot the UK can do IF it is proven that the Russian state was involved in this act.

Just take a look at the % of Russian oil & gas that the EU consumes. It is virtually dependent upon it. There's no way that we're going to cut off that supply line.
The Saudis might be able to over-supply oil for a while to bring the price down. In the long-term (& it would take a long time for any such action to take effect) there's no chance.
Just look at the events in the Crimea over the past few years & consider how the West responded. A few frozen bank accounts & a few sanctions & that was it. In reality, it was nothing. How about the shooting down of MH17? What happened after the Dutch investigation claimed that the Russians were to blame??? You tell me!

So, what to do?. MAD rules out a military conflict. Economic sanctions? Not really effective. I know, let's boycott the World Cup, that'll show 'em!

As for me, well I believe that Putin is no less of a twerp than Trump is (think about all of the cack that the USA gets involved in). Trump is no less of a twerp than May is who, in turn, is no less of a twerp than Mugabe is. They might go about things in a slightly different manner to one another, but they're all after the same thing....

I won't be going to this years World Cup, but I am planning on taking the Trans Siberian Express later on in the Summer. Can't wait!

Michal
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:23 am

Super Gabor wrote:Putin must feel untouchable.

He feels it, because he is untouchable. Since 1990-91, when USRR collapsed, Russia carefully planned next war against rotten western model. It took long time, but now they have the upper hand. Not because they have more tanks or rockets, but how fragile are democracies. But no one can predict what will happen in the next five, or even one year. Dangerous times? Nah, you still have the Channel. Sooner my country will leave western structures and go to the East. And Putin is not twerp. He is much smarter than many top politicians in western countries. He is different, cause he is former KGB agent.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 am

The one thing that will hurt Putins pride is to pull out of the world cup and try to get some of our allies to do the same ,

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:09 am

chunkster wrote:Our defence forces have been decimated over the last few years, no one takes us serious as a force anymore, and the russians know that we would get any help from the yanks, we are just a base in the atlantic ocean for their missiles :|

True but trust me Mr Chunky our lads are still ready.
I still have a lot of contacts that are still serving and this has just heightened our readiness.
See our lads do an unrewarding job, behind the scenes as-well.
Who do you think examined the Nerve agent, that's right HM Forces because us Forces are trained in NBC (mask in 9).
But you have snowflakes claiming we should do more !
Do what exactly ?
You have Corbyn trying to score political points in Parliment, shot down by his own say's it all really.
This is a bloke who support's anything anti British.
IRA, Hezbollah, ISIS, want me to continue ?
Saw a joke earlier and how apt for Corbyn

Breaking News:

Jeremy Corbyn suggests a solution to the Russian problem.

Invite Putin and his henchmen to London, build a campfire, link arms, and sing Kum By Yah.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

canadiansaddler wrote:The one thing that will hurt Putins pride is to pull out of the world cup and try to get some of our allies to do the same ,

Won't happen

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:15 am

Michal wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:Putin must feel untouchable.

He feels it, because he is untouchable. Since 1990-91, when USRR collapsed, Russia carefully planned next war against rotten western model. It took long time, but now they have the upper hand. Not because they have more tanks or rockets, but how fragile are democracies. But no one can predict what will happen in the next five, or even one year. Dangerous times? Nah, you still have the Channel. Sooner my country will leave western structures and go to the East. And Putin is not twerp. He is much smarter than many top politicians in western countries. He is different, cause he is former KGB agent.

Closest to the truth.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am

Theresa May looking for her Iron Lady moment. She thought she’d get a mandate to shape Brexit and failed miserably so she can’t really be strong on that. Now taking on Putin and Russia and you can’t really see what harm she can realistically do to him/them. We ain’t got that many friends in the world these days so whatever she does it will be fairly isolated and therefore fairly insignificant (to Russia).

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm

In today's Times Matthew Syed looks at Abramovich's role in the Putin kleptocracy. His lawyer has admitted in a British court that his wealth derives from an auction of companies that was a "stitch up."

"In football the oligarch is mentioned affectionately for his engaging grin and enigmatic personality. People eulogise the money he has spent on Chelsea and his charitable causes. This is moral chicanery, however."

Maybe any sporting boycott should start with the Premiership.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/#section-news

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:28 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:Our defence forces have been decimated over the last few years, no one takes us serious as a force anymore, and the russians know that we would get any help from the yanks, we are just a base in the atlantic ocean for their missiles :|

True but trust me Mr Chunky our lads are still ready.
I still have a lot of contacts that are still serving and this has just heightened our readiness.
See our lads do an unrewarding job, behind the scenes as-well.
Who do you think examined the Nerve agent, that's right HM Forces because us Forces are trained in NBC (mask in 9).
But you have snowflakes claiming we should do more !
Do what exactly ?
You have Corbyn trying to score political points in Parliment, shot down by his own say's it all really.
This is a bloke who support's anything anti British.
IRA, Hezbollah, ISIS, want me to continue ?
Saw a joke earlier and how apt for Corbyn

Breaking News:

Jeremy Corbyn suggests a solution to the Russian problem.

Invite Putin and his henchmen to London, build a campfire, link arms, and sing Kum By Yah.
The thing is so swampster, i don't think it would be as simple as a ground war, they have already told us to "stop threatening a nuclear power" :|But i have never doubted the bravery of our boys, i would put them up against any force in the world, i was talking to an ex lieutenant captain the other day, and he was telling me the red tape they had to go through just to get permission to fire a shot back at insurgents :|

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Decisive action taken by May today against the Russians by expelling 23 'diplomats' and further action to quote the BBC

'in the form of Increased checks on private flights, customs and freight together with the freezing of Russian state assets where there is evidence they may be used to threaten the life or property of UK nationals or residents.
Ministers and Royal Family members to boycott the World Cup in Russia later this year
The suspension of all planned high level bilateral contacts between the UK and Russia
Plans to consider new laws to increase defences against "hostile state activity". This could come through a British version of the 2012 US Magnitsky act, which punishes Russians involved in corruption and human rights violations with asset freezes and travel bans. MPs have pushed for a Magnitsky amendment to be added to the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Bill going through Parliament'

Interesting to note that Jeremy Corbyn and his entire front bench team were unsupportive of the actions taken by May - WHY? and embarrassingly it was left to his back benchers to actually step up to the plate by condemning the Russian Government which led to the unusual sight of the Government benches rising to applaud said Labour back benchers whilst Corbyn & Co sat stoney faced with their arms folded - embarrassing.

I still have no idea why anyone would vote for Corbyn.

:D SHEEP :arrow: PERIOD

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Cully wrote:Decisive action taken by May today against the Russians by expelling 23 'diplomats' and further action to quote the BBC

'in the form of Increased checks on private flights, customs and freight together with the freezing of Russian state assets where there is evidence they may be used to threaten the life or property of UK nationals or residents.
Ministers and Royal Family members to boycott the World Cup in Russia later this year
The suspension of all planned high level bilateral contacts between the UK and Russia
Plans to consider new laws to increase defences against "hostile state activity". This could come through a British version of the 2012 US Magnitsky act, which punishes Russians involved in corruption and human rights violations with asset freezes and travel bans. MPs have pushed for a Magnitsky amendment to be added to the Sanctions and Anti-Money Laundering Bill going through Parliament'

Interesting to note that Jeremy Corbyn and his entire front bench team were unsupportive of the actions taken by May - WHY? and embarrassingly it was left to his back benchers to actually step up to the plate by condemning the Russian Government which led to the unusual sight of the Government benches rising to applaud said Labour back benchers whilst Corbyn & Co sat stoney faced with their arms folded - embarrassing.

I tend to agree and think Corbyn is plain wrong here.

Russia needs a bloody smack in the mouth, who the hell does Putin think WE are???

It actually doesn't even matter if the Russian state did or didn't sanction this episode, there's already a long crime sheet. The more sanctions the better.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 am

Meanwhile the government, with help from their mates the DUP, just voted to withdraw free school meals affecting a million kids. The DUP voted for it after Northern Ireland was exempted from these cuts.

But, Putin...

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 am

Exile wrote:Meanwhile the government, with help from their mates the DUP, just voted to withdraw free school meals affecting a million kids. The DUP voted for it after Northern Ireland was exempted from these cuts.

But, Putin...

Exile in fake headline news shocker as something is lost in translation between the UK and isolated island somewhere the other side of the planet.

In the absense of any doubt, you will not be able to claim a free school meal in this country if you live in New Zealand, it's a pity that New Zealand doesn't provide a nation wide facility for free school meals for any of it's own school children. Not having a social responsibility to provide such a basic service is a little backward in my opinion, perhaps they could spare a few sheep, cooked of course, to those less able to provide for their children or better still copy the UK by providing this basic facility.

Meanwhile in the real world Russia continues to deny any involvement in the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia despite overwhelming evidence that the nerve agent used was developed by Russia although I note that the now desperate Corbyn has said the most likely explanation was Russia that was "directly or indirectly responsible" for the attack but "culpability takes many forms". :lol: More desperate stuff from Jeza who apparently is the Leader of the Labour party :?: PUTINS PUPPET :arrow: PERIOD

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am

I'm not defending Corbyn, but it is possible that Putin knew little. I just don't know why that affects any response. The regime is a weird mish-mash of corrupt billionaires, state security and military , paramilitaries and organised crime, all overlapping. I'm not sure how much power Putin has over all of them.

John Sweeney's Panorama last night showed evidence of this . The attempts to limit and smear him were amateurish and muddled. A thuggish group called SERB denied any links to the state, but it took just two videos to show one of them displaying official state i.d. Sweeney was arrested and then on release, immediately met by a Kremlin media pair who hadn't even bothered to cook up a story as to how they knew about his release so quickly.

I can see Putin being disposed of .If the West seriously threatens the lifestyles of his Mafia friends,he might outlive his usefulness. Trouble is I'm not sure it will mean great changes in the nature of the regime or for the ordinary people of Russia.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:I'm not defending Corbyn, but it is possible that Putin knew little. I just don't know why that affects any response. The regime is a weird mish-mash of corrupt billionaires, state security and military , paramilitaries and organised crime, all overlapping. I'm not sure how much power Putin has over all of them.

John Sweeney's Panorama last night showed evidence of this . The attempts to limit and smear him were amateurish and muddled. A thuggish group called SERB denied any links to the state, but it took just two videos to show one of them displaying official state i.d. Sweeney was arrested and then on release, immediately met by a Kremlin media pair who hadn't even bothered to cook up a story as to how they knew about his release so quickly.

I can see Putin being disposed of .If the West seriously threatens the lifestyles of his Mafia friends,he might outlive his usefulness. Trouble is I'm not sure it will mean great changes in the nature of the regime or for the ordinary people of Russia.

I think this as well, much of the political machinery of the country is half-arsed and backward. Not all of it though, and the paradox is that it's capable of brilliant strategic moves. It's still partly the Russia of the 20th century - capable of utter incompetence, veering to amazing achievements and back to sheer idiocy.

Factions in the Kremlin exist in conflict with each other and it wouldn't surprise me if this episode had been engineered by one faction to smear Putin or others. Equally it could have been sanctioned by Putin to test the response of America, the EU and Britain - probably in that order. It's a massive chess game played on many levels.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 pm

Russia has been provoking all manner of things over the last few years, creating mistrust, confusion and attempting to establish themselves as something very dangerous and to be fearful of. This is exactly the same as their domestic policy. They have been more than happy to fund political organisations across Europe that wish to dismantle the EU and undermine the NATO setup. Le Pen’s election was heavily funded through Russian interests which is quite ironic considering what happened to Russia the last time it clashed with an established far right fascist nation.

He holds grand press conferences telling the Russian people and the world that he has new shiny missiles, planes and better nukes to counter external threats to the motherland . All this is to detract from the reality that Putin and a small group of hugely wealthy individuals run the Russian state as if it’s their personal property whilst having a state media on a tight leash and a far reaching police force in their pocket.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm

A lot of the "news" links that idiot Villa fan used to put up on here probably came from the Kremlin. He was so thick I think he believed them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:16 am

Cully wrote:
Exile wrote:Meanwhile the government, with help from their mates the DUP, just voted to withdraw free school meals affecting a million kids. The DUP voted for it after Northern Ireland was exempted from these cuts.

But, Putin...

Exile in fake headline news shocker as something is lost in translation between the UK and isolated island somewhere the other side of the planet.

In the absense of any doubt, you will not be able to claim a free school meal in this country if you live in New Zealand, it's a pity that New Zealand doesn't provide a nation wide facility for free school meals for any of it's own school children. Not having a social responsibility to provide such a basic service is a little backward in my opinion, perhaps they could spare a few sheep, cooked of course, to those less able to provide for their children or better still copy the UK by providing this basic facility.

Meanwhile in the real world Russia continues to deny any involvement in the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia despite overwhelming evidence that the nerve agent used was developed by Russia although I note that the now desperate Corbyn has said the most likely explanation was Russia that was "directly or indirectly responsible" for the attack but "culpability takes many forms". :lol: More desperate stuff from Jeza who apparently is the Leader of the Labour party :?: PUTINS PUPPET :arrow: PERIOD

Mmmm. Tell me more about how much in donations the Conservative party has taken from Russian sponsors in the last year, or two years, or decade, or more, and then tell me who is more likely to be their puppet. :idea:

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:21 am

Exile wrote:
Cully wrote:

But, Putin...

Mmmm. Tell me more about how much in donations the Conservative party has taken from Russian sponsors in the last year, or two years, or decade, or more, and then tell me who is more likely to be their puppet. :idea:

Apart from James and Bobby Purify then this one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43424867

Exile in desperate dinner debacle :arrow: PERIOD

ps for any of our younger pop pickers this is a classic soul record referred to above from the depths of time:-

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ja ... &FORM=VIRE

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:42 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:A lot of the "news" links that idiot Villa fan used to put up on here probably came from the Kremlin. He was so thick I think he believed them.

Oh God, the very regurgitated thought of him is even worse than thinking about swarms of Russian bombers flying over Great Britain.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Cully wrote:

But, Putin...

Cully trying to convert this story into a party political broadcast - shock horror!

Can we for once have something constructive from Cully Towers please?

:lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 am

And what a surprise, putin wins election with over 75% of the vote :o I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that people were being ferried around to vote more than once? Or the fact that returning officers were seen to be filling in voting forms and stuffing them in the ballot boxes lol :lol: why doesn’t the world just stand together and say we don’t recognise you as a state? As the voting was rigged :| putin even banned his nearest rival from being balloted just to be sure :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:40 am

Corbyn, the 'Kremlins useful idiot' :lol:

Nice one Boris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43686718

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 am

Cully wrote:Corbyn, the 'Kremlins useful idiot' :lol: