Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

VAR

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
tinned
Site Addict

VAR

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Did anyone see the Spurs v Rochdale game last night, and the use of VAR?

What a farce! It's turning the game into a confusing, stop-start mess.

No thanks!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43234569

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: VAR

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm

A hopeless mess.

Don't want a glorified American football stop-start load of bobbins. Football thrives on sustained action with as few breaks as possible.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

It's still tempting to wonder whether (for instance) if George Dobson's yellow card had been reviewed and (a) overturned, then (b) Walsall correctly awarded a penalty ..... we could well have seen a different scoreline at 90 minutes, snow or no snow. On such instances points and possibly jobs are at stake.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm

I refuse to watch any game with VAR. Farce.

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 am

I think it's fascinating to be in at the start of this.

I agree with the Huddersfield manager when he said that it kills the stadium atmosphere when there is a wait.
But, after years of seeing Man U and Spurs amongst others get away with stuff including blatent diving, it's going to be a huge bonus if it fixes that.

I think I've only watched a few games when it's been active but someone mentioned there is a huge potential problem:

Let's say we are playing Southend.
Now, I've heard managers are calling for linesmen to stop giving offsides when it's close and to rely on the VAR.
So, Southend are attacking and a player is offside but it's close and the lino doesn't give it.
The attack turns into a quickly taken Southend corner and they score from that some minutes later.
So does it all get hauled back to the original offside which may be 5 minutes earlier?
And how do you explain all of that to the punters?

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:52 am

Whitters wrote:I think it's fascinating to be in at the start of this.

I agree with the Huddersfield manager when he said that it kills the stadium atmosphere when there is a wait.
But, after years of seeing Man U and Spurs amongst others get away with stuff including blatent diving, it's going to be a huge bonus if it fixes that.

I think I've only watched a few games when it's been active but someone mentioned there is a huge potential problem:

Let's say we are playing Southend.
Now, I've heard managers are calling for linesmen to stop giving offsides when it's close and to rely on the VAR.
So, Southend are attacking and a player is offside but it's close and the lino doesn't give it.
The attack turns into a quickly taken Southend corner and they score from that some minutes later.
So does it all get hauled back to the original offside which may be 5 minutes earlier?
And how do you explain all of that to the punters?

Use VAR to only determine divers. Problem solved!

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 am

The world cup is gonna be funfest.

Half the officials will be alien to VAR..

Return to General Chat & Prediction League