Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Troy Deeney

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
athletesfoot

Troy Deeney

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but

If Troy deeney were to be sold, the club were to inherit 4-5 million, and the funds became available to the club.

How would you like to see this money spent?

Personally, id love the club to purchase the ground/ freehold, again if it were an option

thoughts?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Troy Deeney

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:42 pm

athletesfoot wrote:I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but

If Troy deeney were to be sold, the club were to inherit 4-5 million, and the funds became available to the club.

How would you like to see this money spent?

Personally, id love the club to purchase the ground/ freehold, again if it were an option

thoughts?

Dunno, but Cypriot swimming pool and jacuzzi salesmen are eyeing the situation with great anticipation.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 pm

I can confirm that Deeney is actively looking to move clubs in this window. In the past there's not been much traction, but there is now.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:49 am

Oh Christ, not again!!

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 am

There's no way the club are going to get a windfall of 4 to 5 million. Maybe if Watford had sold him last season, but not now. Watford are now asking for £20million, and the reportedly offering clubs like Newcastle are talking about £10million. That means he'll probably go for around £15million. The sell on percentage of 20% relates to the difference between what Watford gave us for him and what they sell him for. We got £250,000 when he left. So the difference is £14,750,000. 20% of that is £2,950,000.

The freehold is probably worth around £6million. If JB were to sell it to the club at below market value his pension fund would be hit by a tax charge of around 40% of the difference between the true value and what he sold it for. If he used the whole of the Deeney windfall as outlined above that's around £1.2 million in my estimation. That would leave him with £1.75 million. That's £4.25 million less than if he sold it for it's true worth.

Can you imagine the family rift if the kids saw their inheritance disappearing down the plughole like that :lol:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am

Straight into Bonser's back pocket.

Phone call to Gamble and Mole - "Listen boys, tell the plebs we'll be investing all the cash on the playing side and I'll see you get a nice Christmas bonus"

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:00 pm

saddla wrote:There's no way the club are going to get a windfall of 4 to 5 million. Maybe if Watford had sold him last season, but not now. Watford are now asking for £20million, and the reportedly offering clubs like Newcastle are talking about £10million. That means he'll probably go for around £15million. The sell on percentage of 20% relates to the difference between what Watford gave us for him and what they sell him for. We got £250,000 when he left. So the difference is £14,750,000. 20% of that is £2,950,000.

The freehold is probably worth around £6million.
If JB were to sell it to the club at below market value his pension fund would be hit by a tax charge of around 40% of the difference between the true value and what he sold it for. If he used the whole of the Deeney windfall as outlined above that's around £1.2 million in my estimation. That would leave him with £1.75 million. That's £4.25 million less than if he sold it for it's true worth.

Can you imagine the family rift if the kids saw their inheritance disappearing down the plughole like that :lol:

How is the true value of the freehold worked out, other than what someone is prepared to pay for it? Is £6 million a figure that has been plucked out of the air or is there a basis for it? Obviously the true value of the freehold was £1 when Bonser acquired it!

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

hullsaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:There's no way the club are going to get a windfall of 4 to 5 million. Maybe if Watford had sold him last season, but not now. Watford are now asking for £20million, and the reportedly offering clubs like Newcastle are talking about £10million. That means he'll probably go for around £15million. The sell on percentage of 20% relates to the difference between what Watford gave us for him and what they sell him for. We got £250,000 when he left. So the difference is £14,750,000. 20% of that is £2,950,000.

If JB were to sell it to the club at below market value his pension fund would be hit by a tax charge of around 40% of the difference between the true value and what he sold it for. If he used the whole of the Deeney windfall as outlined above that's around £1.2 million in my estimation. That would leave him with £1.75 million. That's £4.25 million less than if he sold it for it's true worth.

How is the true value of the freehold worked out, other than what someone is prepared to pay for it? Is £6 million a figure that has been plucked out of the air or is there a basis for it? Obviously the true value of the freehold was £1 when Bonser acquired it!

Savilles publish a review of commercial property rents as a percentage of the freehold value which varies by sector (retail, office space, leisure etc). For the last report in July 2017 the figures were all for a return of between 4 and 5%. There is no figure given for sports stadia as the market is too small but we can safely assume that it falls within this band. The rent paid by the club as far as we are aware is £350,000. This amount is legally required to be a fair market rent as it is owned by a pension fund.

If £350,00 is the rent at 5% of the value then the value is calculated to be £7million. This is what you would have to pay on the open market to get a commercial property freehold that would give you £350k per annum return. I didn't actually do the calcs before but estimated it at £6million. I was a million out. There's a lot of assumptions in there but I don't think it's too far out.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Leaves us having to find a mortgage. No small feat. Maybe Uncle Jeff will lend us the money back... :mrgreen:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:34 am

Getting a mortgage wouldn't be difficult with a credible business plan, and would be financially preferable for the club in the long term as opposed to continually paying rent to a landlord

However, the landlord/club owner will always have his own financial priorities

And why wouldn't he?

shady53

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 am

Wragbyred wrote:Getting a mortgage wouldn't be difficult with a credible business plan, and would be financially preferable for the club in the long term as opposed to continually paying rent to a landlord

And why wouldn't he?

Because he professes to be our No 1 SUPPORTER.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am

shady53 wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:Getting a mortgage wouldn't be difficult with a credible business plan, and would be financially preferable for the club in the long term as opposed to continually paying rent to a landlord

And why wouldn't he?

The only reason he's our number one fan is the gold plate pension he's got himself. Turned up just in time for feasting on the carcass of Fellows Park and hung around ever since. Is Gilman still on the board?

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Wragbyred wrote:However, the landlord/club owner will always have his own financial priorities

I occasionally try to imagine the rent negotiations between the owner of the club and our landlord. Do you think they are protracted, with lots of offers and counter offers?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Exile wrote: Is Gilman still on the board?

According to the last accounts he was, which has always puzzled me.
After all these years, and his dalliances with Leeds Utd, why is he still here?

Hmm ....someone knows....

shady53

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Exile wrote:
shady53 wrote:

And why wouldn't he?

The only reason he's our number one fan is the gold plate pension he's got himself. Turned up just in time for feasting on the carcass of Fellows Park and hung around ever since. Is Gilman still on the board?

Touche.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 am

Wragbyred wrote:
Exile wrote: Is Gilman still on the board?

According to the last accounts he was, which has always puzzled me.
After all these years, and his dalliances with Leeds Utd, why is he still here?

Hmm ....someone knows....

Is it someone at GMI, Tone? :wink:

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Maybe we can take the Deeney money and build ourselves a new ground.....

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Redordead wrote:Maybe we can take the Deeney money and build ourselves a new ground.....

A good one this time, preferably in north Walsall.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm

aaaae wrote:
Redordead wrote:Maybe we can take the Deeney money and build ourselves a new ground.....

just down the road from chateau pleck :wink:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:03 pm

aaaae wrote:

It should have been built on the site of the Power Station

But perhaps the financial incentives weren't very good?....

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 pm

saddla wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

Savilles publish a review of commercial property rents as a percentage of the freehold value which varies by sector (retail, office space, leisure etc). For the last report in July 2017 the figures were all for a return of between 4 and 5%. There is no figure given for sports stadia as the market is too small but we can safely assume that it falls within this band. The rent paid by the club as far as we are aware is £350,000. This amount is legally required to be a fair market rent as it is owned by a pension fund.

If £350,00 is the rent at 5% of the value then the value is calculated to be £7million. This is what you would have to pay on the open market to get a commercial property freehold that would give you £350k per annum return. I didn't actually do the calcs before but estimated it at £6million. I was a million out. There's a lot of assumptions in there but I don't think it's too far out.

Joseph Masi reporting on tonights fans focus meeting:

‏ @JosephMasi_Star
58m58 minutes ago

Stefan Gamble the value market for the freehold of the Banks's Stadium would be between £5million and £7million #saddlers #walsallfc

Ain't that wot I said?

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

saddla wrote:
saddla wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:

Joseph Masi reporting on tonights fans focus meeting:

‏ @JosephMasi_Star
58m58 minutes ago

Stefan Gamble the value market for the freehold of the Banks's Stadium would be between £5million and £7million #saddlers #walsallfc

Ain't that wot I said?

Think the last consortium offered a figure in the middle of that range. Bonser wouldn't sell.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 pm

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 pm

All this talk of market valuation is speculative to say the least , the argument that as a sports stadia it would be in line with general market returns of 4% to 5% could be misleading for several reasons. In property terms Bescot Stadium is a risky investment.

1. the staduim is a single special purpose facility it will therefore attract a risk premium and therefore have a higher expected / required yield than the general market rate of 4% to 5%. The offsetting factor on this is the conference facility which makes the site more appealing but even so it is in a competitive market place (hence the need to claim to be in Birmingham)

2. There is only one major tenant available for any owner, WFC , or at best a very limited market. If something were to happen to WFC an alternative use would have to be a found which would cost big $$$$$$ to make happen.

2. Walsall FC would be viewed (regardless what we as supporters believe) as a high risk tenant , although the club has made a profit in recent years it is reliant on the support of its major shareholder who is a non arms length individual in terms of the current facility. Once again this creates a risk premuim which would be attached to the facility. WFC itself is the smallest player in a competitive market has demonstrated an historic inability to grow over the last 35 to 40 years

3. Given two above and despite the legalitlitys around pension funds, is 350K - 400K a year for the facility a true market rent, based on other rents in the football league it could be argued it is over inflated, if the owner or pension fund was non arms length I suspect the rent may well be lower. Any investor would take this risk of rent adjustment into account.

4. The Rate of 4% to 5% is for the UK generally I believe , sorry to say but the industrialized North West Midlands would have a higher expected yield than the wonders of say central London or the dear home counties

If Bescot was truly worth 5M to 6M on the open market , an investor or two would have shown up over the last few years of property boom and said hello JB do you want to sell - this in itself is the biggest clue that the reality is probably very different to the headlines . The only people who have said it is worth 5M are the club or those associated with the club.

There is a very small pool of potential buyers for stadia so the reality facing JB is he may have a nice little pension fund but its not one he can easily move on from.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Now that Marco Silva has shuffled out of the door marked "Do One" I can't see Deeney leaving Watford in this window.

UTS Legend

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:19 am

dobbster71 wrote:Now that Marco Silva has shuffled out of the door marked "Do One" I can't see Deeney leaving Watford in this window.

I was thinking the opposite. Might nudge him towards the door?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 am

dobbster71 wrote:Now that Marco Silva has shuffled out of the door marked "Do One" I can't see Deeney leaving Watford in this window.

With a chance to impress a new manager and remain with team-mates, I'll think he'll stay now.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

With a chance to impress a new manager and remain with team-mates, I'll think he'll stay now.
odds of 4/7 to stay and 8/13 for him to move to west brom for 20 million, giving us a possible sell on proffit of 4 million, the only thing WE as fans have to contemplate is what we do with the £8 bonser puts into the playing side? i hear that the new training ground needs a new kettle, but they wouldn't actually own it :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:16 pm

chunkster wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

odds of 4/7 to stay and 8/13 for him to move to west brom for 20 million, giving us a possible sell on proffit of 4 million, the only thing WE as fans have to contemplate is what we do with the £8 bonser puts into the playing side? i hear that the new training ground needs a new kettle, but they wouldn't actually own it :mrgreen:

Actually, we would have the benefit of renting the kettle for free and only paying 3 pounds a week in surcharges and administration costs. Everyone's a winner, especially us, as we would have the benefit of a kettle and the hot water it provides for only an additional 50 pence a cup!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:19 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Actually, we would have the benefit of renting the kettle for free and only paying 3 pounds a week in surcharges and administration costs. Everyone's a winner, especially us, as we would have the benefit of a kettle and the hot water it provides for only an additional 50 pence a cup!*

* tea bags not included...and we haven't got any cups

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League