Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brexit Breakfast

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Morty
Glitterati

Re: Brexit Breakfast

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:50 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Oh and I'm still waiting for you to persuade me to come round to the Brexiteer's way of thinking, Swampster - or ANYBODY really.

Any takers?

If it is such a brilliant thing for the UK - tell me why I am wrong.

Please!

I've found a positive of Brexit ! Apparently we can all have our blue passports back and none of this fancy European burgundy stuff!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42443253

:roll: :roll:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Morty wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Oh and I'm still waiting for you to persuade me to come round to the Brexiteer's way of thinking, Swampster - or ANYBODY really.

Any takers?

Please!

I've found a positive of Brexit ! Apparently we can all have our blue passports back and none of this fancy European burgundy stuff!!

I recently came across a poll, and this was genuinely one of the reasons the questioned people gave for voting leave. Others included to bring back Imperial weights and measures, returned to pre-decimal currency - that's 12 pence to a shilling and 240 pence to the pound for the uninitiated, and to bring back the death penalty.

Apparently these 'issues' are more important than the long term economic health of the nation. :idea: :|

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 pm

It's absolutely crazy.

If you read the article, it states that the EU never compelled us to change the colour of the passport.

Why don't we got the whole way and redesign it to match the Union flag?

And it doesn't surprise me that people care more about imperial weights and measures and a return to a ridiculous currency than economic disaster.

What a total mess.

Let's stop this nonsense before it's too late!

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Blue passports? Don't remember them
I do however remember black passports, so where does the blue come from?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 am

Wragbyred wrote:Blue passports? Don't remember them

Should have gone to Specsavers....... the pre-EU passports issued by the UK were a hard-backed deep blue. Black only when dipped in tar. :mrgreen:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:25 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:Blue passports? Don't remember them

Should have gone to Specsavers....... the pre-EU passports issued by the UK were a hard-backed deep blue. Black only when dipped in tar. :mrgreen:

Farage is wetting himself over it apparently. Simple things please simple minds. :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:58 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Morty wrote:

Any takers?

Please!

I recently came across a poll, and this was genuinely one of the reasons the questioned people gave for voting leave. Others included to bring back Imperial weights and measures, returned to pre-decimal currency - that's 12 pence to a shilling and 240 pence to the pound for the uninitiated, and to bring back the death penalty.

Apparently these 'issues' are more important than the long term economic health of the nation. :idea: :|
Aaaaa the death penalty :D

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:27 am

The Death Penalty
That would save a few problems along the way, can any one deny Brady and Hindley didn't deserve it?
And it was what Fred West wanted anyway!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Damn Brexit.
How dare us have one of the fastest-growing advanced economy's.
This doesn't tow the line with the doom and gloom predictions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brit ... -h6h0z6cvc

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:50 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Damn Brexit.

2 years ago we were top by a mile, and almost certainly would be still without Brexit as the economy was kicking backside before this own goal. You've identified GDP, just one factor. How about inflation, which impacts on real income? As has been already mentioned, it takes a while to stop a tanker, especially in GDP terms.

"IMF’s managing director said: “We feared that if Brexit was decided upon, it would most likely entail a depreciation of sterling, an increase of inflation and a squeezing in wages and a slowdown and probably a reduction of investment.” “I know that some people at the time said, ‘Oh, it’s those experts,’ . . . but what we are seeing is that narrative we identified as a potential risk in May 2016 is actually being rolled out as we speak,” she said. “This is what we are seeing. It’s not experts talking, it’s the economy demonstrating that.”

https://www.ft.com/content/06c2d3f4-e56 ... 6d4fbac0da

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:21 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

2 years ago we were top by a mile, and almost certainly would be still without Brexit as the economy was kicking backside before this own goal. You've identified GDP, just one factor. How about inflation, which impacts on real income? As has been already mentioned, it takes a while to stop a tanker, especially in GDP terms.

"IMF’s managing director said: “We feared that if Brexit was decided upon, it would most likely entail a depreciation of sterling, an increase of inflation and a squeezing in wages and a slowdown and probably a reduction of investment.” “I know that some people at the time said, ‘Oh, it’s those experts,’ . . . but what we are seeing is that narrative we identified as a potential risk in May 2016 is actually being rolled out as we speak,” she said. “This is what we are seeing. It’s not experts talking, it’s the economy demonstrating that.”

How about you go back in your little hovel because you can't accept the reality that the country is NOT doomed as predicted by these "so called experts" ?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:25 pm

That's reporting on 2016, where without the post-vote rapid slowdown in Q4 the U.K. would have been miles ahead. The 2017 and 2018 reports are the ones to watch.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

How about you go back in your little hovel because you can't accept the reality that the country is NOT doomed as predicted by these "so called experts" ?

Swampy vs IMF ... good luck with that. :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Really Swampy?

There are loads of articles that talk about how the economy is failing slowly.

Just ask Mr Google about "Brexit uncertainty" or "UK growth forecasts cut" or "UK investments".

And this is all across the political spectrum, Swampy lad.

I'm still waiting for JUST ONE positive about Brexit.

Blue passports don't count.

:D :wink:

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:43 am

What you don't mention Swampy is that the 1.8% in 2016 is down from 2.3% in 2015 and 3% in 2014 - the economy is still growing granted but at a much slower pace. And while I'm loathe to trot out the phrase 'we haven't left yet' again surely we'll only see the true impact of Brexit when the trade deal with the EU is agreed.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:46 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Morty wrote:

Any takers?

Please!

And who were the "questioned people" I could guarantee if given the opportunity to pick out of crowded street certain individuals that I could make a poll go one way or the other. :roll: :roll:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:22 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Morty wrote:

Any takers?

Please!

And who were the "questioned people" I could guarantee if given the opportunity to pick out of crowded street certain individuals that I could make a poll go one way or the other. :roll: :roll:

Probably carried out by the same people who carried out the poll I saw on Twitter.
54% of people questioned wanted to remain in the EU.
The poll was conducted solely in KENSINGTON !!!!!!!
Obviously these reliable sources and experts do not realize the UK spreads further than the M25 !!!!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:38 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Morty wrote:

Any takers?

Please!

Precisely why I said 'questioned people' :!:

There exists a sub-set of absolute numbskulls that are basking in the dubious glory of the return of blue passports. Think about that for second ... different coloured passports - something that the EU never demanded, but that Thatcher thought looked good.

But thanks for pointing out something I'd already highlighted in my submission. Have a massive round of applause! :wink:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Morty wrote:

Any takers?

Please!

There exists a sub-set of absolute numbskulls that are basking in the dubious glory of the return of blue passports. Think about that for second ... different coloured passports - something that the EU never demanded, but that Thatcher thought looked good.

But thanks for pointing out something I'd already highlighted in my submission. Have a massive round of applause! :wink:

The Brexit three have always tried to make out (veiled or not) that brexiteers are sub human thickos,and not at all intellectual like what they is.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

The Brexit three have always tried to make out (veiled or not) that brexiteers are sub human thickos,and not at all intellectual like what they is.

Depends if you consider frantic jubliant gurning over different coloured passports the pinnacle of intellectual achievement or evidence of cerebral evolutionary regression. I highlighted the facts - the EU had nothing to do with it. I'd say it was misguided rather than thick, but have some affection for your appraisal too. I'll think you'll find the 'other two' whoever you think they are, can and will speak for themselves. :wink:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:59 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Depends if you consider frantic jubliant gurning over different coloured passports the pinnacle of intellectual achievement or evidence of cerebral evolutionary regression. I highlighted the facts - the EU had nothing to do with it. I'd say it was misguided rather than thick, but have some affection for your appraisal too. I'll think you'll find the 'other two' whoever you think they are, can and will speak for themselves. :wink:

Case proved your doing it again.
Last edited by NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD on Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:12 pm

All this palarver about Blue Passports was mentioned once by Morty and lo and behold who is the only one to keep referring back to it .....................................................why none other than one of the EU's lackyies Saigon.
Is your life that sad that this keeps you going ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:54 pm

swampysaddler wrote:All this palarver about Blue Passports was mentioned once by Morty and lo and behold who is the only one to keep referring back to it .....................................................why none other than one of the EU's lackyies Saigon.
Is your life that sad that this keeps you going ?

EU lackey - absolutely brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:55 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:And who were the "questioned people" I could guarantee if given the opportunity to pick out of crowded street certain individuals that I could make a poll go one way or the other. :roll: :roll:

Cased proved your doing it again.

In your case, guilty as charged m'lord. :mrgreen: :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Will be interesting to see how 2018 develops on the Brexit front. Another long haul I suspect.

With a heavy heart I have signed papers that will give my children dual nationality. They will be both British and Irish thus meaning that as EU citizens they will be able to study, work, live and travel unincumbered around the bit of the world closest to us - if they want.

Their grandparents (wife's side) are delighted. I'm actually quite sad that being British could be something that holds our kids back rather than pushing them forward. I really hope that this time next year I'm reflecting on moving too quickly and that their dual nationality is nothing more than something a bit quirky which ultimately acts as a link to their maternal heritage rather than anything more significant.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 pm

PT wrote:Will be interesting to see how 2018 develops on the Brexit front. Another long haul I suspect.

With a heavy heart I have signed papers that will give my children dual nationality. They will be both British and Irish thus meaning that as EU citizens they will be able to study, work, live and travel unincumbered around the bit of the world closest to us - if they want.

Their grandparents (wife's side) are delighted. I'm actually quite sad that being British could be something that holds our kids back rather than pushing them forward. I really hope that this time next year I'm reflecting on moving too quickly and that their dual nationality is nothing more than something a bit quirky which ultimately acts as a link to their maternal heritage rather than anything more significant.

Snap. We'll soon have loads in common with Ireland in that our brightest will be living abroad. Still, at least I can have a blue passport while my kids will have lumbered themselves with the nasty red rag of that evil superstate. Thanks Boris

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:57 pm

I am considering applying for an Irish passport as I had a grandmother born in county Antrim. Haven't decided whether the hassle and cost is worth it yet.
Can't wait for my current one to run out so I can get a nice new blue one though ... hopefully we will be fast-tracked to the front of any queues and be treated with the deference we deserve!

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:42 pm

If anyone's interested I've got a supply of handkerchiefs which after reading the last load of old blarney on this thread looks like it will be needed for all those super intelligent and new Oirish passport holders who think that the doors to the rest of the planet are about to be closed to anyone with a British passport.

Utter and absolute hysterical nonsense of the highest order, hopefully the resulting exodus of the newly anointed Oirsh will result in the average intelligence of the UK increasing. Why anyone who is British would want to be Irish I have no absolutely idea. :roll:

PT
Site Addict

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Cully wrote:If anyone's interested I've got a supply of handkerchiefs which after reading the last load of old blarney on this thread looks like it will be needed for all those super intelligent and new Oirish passport holders who think that the doors to the rest of the planet are about to be closed to anyone with a British passport.

Utter and absolute hysterical nonsense of the highest order, hopefully the resulting exodus of the newly anointed Oirsh will result in the average intelligence of the UK increasing. Why anyone who is British would want to be Irish I have no absolutely idea. :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Good try.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Cully wrote:If anyone's interested I've got a supply of handkerchiefs which after reading the last load of old blarney on this thread looks like it will be needed for all those super intelligent and new Oirish passport holders who think that the doors to the rest of the planet are about to be closed to anyone with a British passport.

:lol:

Frantically searching ancestry .co.uk as we speak

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League