Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brexit Breakfast

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
swampysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Brexit Breakfast

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Damn Boeing.
Fancy coming out with MORE good news AFTER the Brexit vote !
Don't they realize we are in the midst of financial abyss.

http://www.boeing.co.uk/boeing-in-the-u ... tent=image

Just the middle statement is enough
"Boeing has announced plans for its first European manufacturing plant in Sheffield, a commercial aviation maintenance hangar at Gatwick airport and the company is working with the Ministry of Defence on plans for a Royal Air Force P-8A Poseidon facility at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. Together these developments will create an additional several hundred jobs in the UK at Boeing, the company’s partners and its supply chain".

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Damn Boeing.

"Boeing has announced plans for its first European manufacturing plant in Sheffield, a commercial aviation maintenance hangar at Gatwick airport and the company is working with the Ministry of Defence on plans for a Royal Air Force P-8A Poseidon facility at RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland. Together these developments will create an additional several hundred jobs in the UK at Boeing, the company’s partners and its supply chain".

Several hundred jobs?!

:wink:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

Several hundred jobs?!

I agree it doesn't fit in with this "Armageddon" we have been going through for 18 months. :mrgreen:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 am

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Several hundred jobs?!

I agree it doesn't fit in with this "Armageddon" we have been going through for 18 months. :mrgreen:

Well the three Brexiteers demanded one just one positive for leaving the EU,Swampy has given you one.So now do you want two or is the matter closed.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:30 am

Talk about clutching at straws!!

Please explain to me how this is a "positive" in view of the fact that businesses are going to pull out of UK PLC at a cost of thousands of jobs?

It's like saying "Walsall lost 10-1 but at least we scored a goal."

And what do you mean, NSD - "The Three Brexiteers"? Surely we're not Brexiteers!! :mrgreen:

And no, the matter is far from closed in my view because for every (false) positive there are hundreds of negatives.

:D

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 am

I know your not brexiteers but I liked the sound of it.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
tinned wrote:So we have a veto to stop what the vast majority of the EU want to happen? Why would anyone want to stop in a club that 99% of the members have totally opposite ambitions to themselves?

In the long run there is no way closer financial/economic/legal/social ties can benefit all parties. There isn't a one size fits all for countries so far apart as France & Germany and Greece & Portugal. It can't and won't work. Trouble is they want to try and force it to work first.

It's a disaster in the making and I'm glad we'll be well clear.

Never mind, keep yourselves busy pretending people's real concerns are the colour of the sodding passports :roll:

It's simply pointless arguing Tinned. We are doomed all doomed because of Brexit and there is nothing you can say that will persuade them otherwise.

You can make a perfectly rational and valid point that you can't possibly have a monetary union without a fiscal union, or you will end up with the ongoing and unresolved crisis we have in the south of Europe and apparently this makes you a swivel eyed racist. It's not worth it.

Total crap.

No-one is flipping doomed, so why use that stupid language? No-one is racist due to the fact they voted to leave, there is simply a cross over with some individuals. It was swivel eyed loons by the way, not racists.

The reality, and extremely sorry to burst in on your carefully constructed fantasy land, is that there will be painful and utterly avoidable economic effects. And for what? Literally nothing. No-one has come up with a single jot of positive reward beyond wild hypothesising about a future EU nation state, vague conspiracies and jingoistic masturbations over the trinkets of an empire that hasn't existed since 1945.

We are more likely to fall under the sway of a united Europe by being removed from having any say in it whatsoever. Time to wake up yet?

Why not try observing the reality than fabricating something that you misimagined in a nightmare after watching too many Dad's army repeats?

"fabricating something that you misimagined in a nightmare after watching too many Dad's army repeats?"

Thanks, you've just made my point beautifully. Well done. :wink:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:39 am

It's weird how the only people talking about doom are the people that support Brexit...

As if anything other than financial Armageddon is to be labelled a success.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:42 am

aaaae wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
tinned wrote:So we have a veto to stop what the vast majority of the EU want to happen? Why would anyone want to stop in a club that 99% of the members have totally opposite ambitions to themselves?

In the long run there is no way closer financial/economic/legal/social ties can benefit all parties. There isn't a one size fits all for countries so far apart as France & Germany and Greece & Portugal. It can't and won't work. Trouble is they want to try and force it to work first.

It's a disaster in the making and I'm glad we'll be well clear.

Never mind, keep yourselves busy pretending people's real concerns are the colour of the sodding passports :roll:

It's simply pointless arguing Tinned. We are doomed all doomed because of Brexit and there is nothing you can say that will persuade them otherwise.

You can make a perfectly rational and valid point that you can't possibly have a monetary union without a fiscal union, or you will end up with the ongoing and unresolved crisis we have in the south of Europe and apparently this makes you a swivel eyed racist. It's not worth it.

Total crap.

No-one is flipping doomed, so why use that stupid language? No-one is racist due to the fact they voted to leave, there is simply a cross over with some individuals. It was swivel eyed loons by the way, not racists.

The reality, and extremely sorry to burst in on your carefully constructed fantasy land, is that there will be painful and utterly avoidable economic effects. And for what? Literally nothing. No-one has come up with a single jot of positive reward beyond wild hypothesising about a future EU nation state, vague conspiracies and jingoistic masturbations over the trinkets of an empire that hasn't existed since 1945.

We are more likely to fall under the sway of a united Europe by being removed from having any say in it whatsoever. Time to wake up yet?

Why not try observing the reality than fabricating something that you misimagined in a nightmare after watching too many Dad's army repeats?

"fabricating something that you misimagined in a nightmare after watching too many Dad's army repeats?"

Thanks, you've just made my point beautifully. Well done. :wink:

I thought you'd like that. :D :wink:

Can I have a gold star?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Talk about clutching at straws!!

Please explain to me how this is a "positive" in view of the fact that businesses are going to pull out of UK PLC at a cost of thousands of jobs?

And what do you mean, NSD - "The Three Brexiteers"? Surely we're not Brexiteers!! :mrgreen:

And no, the matter is far from closed in my view because for every (false) positive there are hundreds of negatives.

Manc - 'several hundred jobs'. I think we're banged to rights! This counts as a Brexit positive?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if Aldi is opening any new stores? Further evidence of substantial foreign investment!
Banks in London relocating? Doesn't matter, Ahmed's opening a kebab ranch on Bridge Street.

This kind of gold is impossible to make up!

:shock: :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:03 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

Manc - 'several hundred jobs'. I think we're banged to rights! This counts as a Brexit positive?

I wonder if Aldi is opening any new stores? Further evidence of substantial foreign investment!
Banks in London relocating? Doesn't matter, Ahmed's opening a kebab ranch on Bridge Street.

This kind of gold is impossible to make up!

:shock: :lol:

I know.

I've basically asked any Brexiteer (not just on here) to persuade me to become a Leaver.

Their attempts are (let's be kind here) "not very convincing".

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Clownish. :oops:

If there ever had been a claim that 'no new jobs will be created after a vote to leave Brexit', Swampy might be in business with his end of the world prophecy.

But the attempt to claim this as a Brexit positive is utterly absurd and simply highlights the paucity of benefits to the decision.

Flipping ridiculous! :roll:

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 pm

Here's a positive for you, Swampy:

Sterling rose by 10% against the dollar in 2017.

You can have that one for free. :)

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Guest wrote:Here's a positive for you, Swampy:

Sterling rose by 10% against the dollar in 2017.

You can have that one for free. :)

Shame it's still way down on itself pre brexit. Enjoy that if you are going to america though I guess!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 pm

False promise. You do make me laugh.
You ask for positives, they are given with sources to back up these positives and still you claim they are "false"
Where is your signature comment "we haven't left yet" ?
This one story about Boeing blows that out the water.
How dare a multi national company that is world renown invest in the UK despite us leaving the EU ?
Don't they realize we are all doomed as of March 2019 !!!

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm

El_Nombre wrote:It's weird how the only people talking about doom are the people that support Brexit...

The reason us that voted Leave keep referring back to the "Financial Armageddon" is that we was promised this in June 2016 by leading experts and even the current Chancellor, George Osbourne, and 18 months down the line we are still sat, patiently, waiting for it.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:It's weird how the only people talking about doom are the people that support Brexit...

The reason us that voted Leave keep referring back to the "Financial Armageddon" is that we was promised this in June 2016 by leading experts and even the current Chancellor, George Osbourne, and 18 months down the line we are still sat, patiently, waiting for it.

Like the remainers are still waiting patiently for the 350 million to be ploughed back into the NHS. But when that gets brought up it's flogging a dead horse apparently.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

You ask for positives, they are given with sources to back up these positives and still you claim they are "false"
How dare a multi national company that is world renown invest in the UK despite us leaving the EU ?

Haha really? A couple of hundred jobs? Come on mate. Blows out of the water might be a bit grandiose don't you think?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

I would have thought that a world class organisation deciding to invest in Britain instead of other European nations would have been something that everyone interested in Britains future would applaud?

Apparently not.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Jesus H Christ.

It's literally like doing a lap of honour because one team's been awarded a thrown-in.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

But at least he's still trying. Bless. :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Wragbyred wrote:I would have thought that a world class organisation deciding to invest in Britain instead of other European nations would have been something that everyone interested in Britains future would applaud?

Apparently not.

It's good news. Has anyone ever denied that? :?:

The issue arises when it's portrayed as the answer to everyone's hopes, dreams and prayers. Then it's highlighted as utter bollocks.

Refer to my thrown-in analogy above. Pass the tissues. :wink:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Like the remainers are still waiting patiently for the 350 million to be ploughed back into the NHS. But when that gets brought up it's flogging a dead horse apparently.

Ah back to the "suggestion" of what the £350 million could be spent on instead of the EU.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Ah back to the "suggestion" of what the £350 million could be spent on instead of the EU.

OH MY GOD. Thank you for proving my point. I wasn't actually arguing that it should happen, I was pointing out that it's as tired as talking about financial doom and gloom but leavers dismiss it because they are bored of it.

I don't actually think you read do you? You've made up your mind and so anybody who says anything is talking nonsense. Incredible.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Haha really? A couple of hundred jobs? Come on mate. Blows out of the water might be a bit grandiose don't you think?

There is no point even posting positives on here because yourself, Manchester and any other "head stuck in the sand" remainer won't, or choose not to, accept that all the doom predicted 18 months ago hasn't happened and that doesn't fit in with all your false predictions.
But hey, anymore GOOD news I come across, which is becoming a daily occurrence now, I will continue to post just to upset your apple cart.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:14 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

There is no point even posting positives on here because yourself, Manchester and any other "head stuck in the sand" remainer won't, or choose not to, accept that all the doom predicted 18 months ago hasn't happened and that doesn't fit in with all your false predictions.
But hey, anymore GOOD news I come across, which is becoming a daily occurrence now, I will continue to post just to upset your apple cart.

See my last point. Your right swampy it's everybody else sticking their head in the sand. Just ignore them and plough on lad. Wow.

I must have missed yesterdays good news. Is the pound back up yet?

I never predicted doom and gloom just that things would not be as comfortable. They are not. Don't make the mistake of thinking George Osbourne speaks for me. He doesn't and never has. Believe it or not, I welcome good news. Upset my apple cart with genuine good news all you want mate. a handful of jobs in a factory doesn't quite do it though unfortunately.
Last edited by El_Nombre on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:16 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

OH MY GOD. Thank you for proving my point. I wasn't actually arguing that it should happen, I was pointing out that it's as tired as talking about financial doom and gloom but leavers dismiss it because they are bored of it.

I don't actually think you read do you? You've made up your mind and so anybody who says anything is talking nonsense. Incredible.

Erm hold on a minute Mr Self-Righteous, who mentioned the £350 million ?
I just gave you a reply to your statement.
Now off you pop and see who else you can attempt to wind up with your views being correct and everyone else is wrong.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Erm hold on a minute Mr Self-Righteous, who mentioned the £350 million ?
I just gave you a reply to your statement.
Now off you pop and see who else you can attempt to wind up with your views being correct and everyone else is wrong.

ME! Do you not understand context. Just because you bring something up that doesn't mean you can just assume the rest of what is meant for yourself!

You don't do you? You don't actually read stuff. You just hear "350 million" and ASSUME I'm pointing out that was a failed promise again. It is, but I'm not. I'm likening it to what YOU keep banging on about it and dismiss as beating a dead horse.

But I don't know why I'm bothering. You won't even read this far will you? You've already decided what point I'm making because it will probably be one that is easier to defend yourself against rather than the one I actually am.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:21 pm

It great not being involved in the tit for tat! Much more fun to read. Think I'll keep it this way! :lol:

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:24 pm

scott_powell wrote:It great not being involved in the tit for tat! Much more fun to read. Think I'll keep it this way! :lol:

Tit for tat? Is that just replying to people on a message board?

I've never known another internet forum where people moan when there's a discussion going on. And no Scott, that's a general observation. I know your not moaning.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:14 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

I don't want to pick on your Swampy, cos we've been getting on for a while now :D

BUT

I think your announcement of a hundred or so jobs from a foreign country kind of highlights what is wrong with Leavers' arguments.

You absolutely and totally ignore the FACT that huge foreign companies and banks are actively looking at PULLING OUT OF THE UK after Brexit, moving their operations from British cities to European ones so that they can deal directly with the EU - AND NOT US - because we will have a poorer economy and the EU is the largest market in the world.

This is what I mean by not seeing the bigger picture.

This is what I mean by looking for tiny little gems of hope in a cesspool of impending disaster,

You simply do not see it - and most Brexiteers are the same. All they care about is the fact that we are leaving and to hell with the consequences.

The FACTS are there for anybody and everybody to see.

You just choose to ignore them because deep down you all know it is a flawed decision based on lies and more lies. It seems that any business news that is a "negative" for Brexit escapes you,

Creating a hundred or so jobs is trivial - and if you think that is THE POSITIVE for Brexit then I'm afraid it speaks volumes.

Rest assured, you're not alone in your views - and that's the problem. All of the negative items that have been and are being mentioned swamp (pardon the pun :D ) anything you have to offer - which is absolutely nothing.

If there WERE a positive for Brexit, I'm sure the papers and the news would be full of it.

But they're not. Even the Mail and Express spend their time slagging off the Remainers rather than offering hope to them.

But, if you are so convinced then please please enlighten me. Tell me why I should have voted Brexit.

Give me some hope that perhaps we haven't flushed our future down the toilet!!

You can't! Not even the government can!! Not even the PRO-BREXIT media can!!!

it's a disaster and it is getting worse. Maybe we should just rename the UK to Lemmingland - because there is nothing United about the United Kingdom at the moment!!

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League