Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brexit Breakfast

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
tinned
Site Addict

Re: Brexit Breakfast

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:12 am

Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Well I am constantly laughing at the fact that NOT ONE Brexiteer anywhere can come up with A SINGLE GOOD THING about Brexit.

:lol: :lol:

Happy New Year, Swampy Lad.

Put fingers in ears and chant "I can't hear you".

Repeat until you can convince yourself you are right.

:roll:

Best answer yet. The question's been asked multiple times, with no coherent response, and suddenly it's Manc avoiding the issue? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, blue passports, eh? Which you could have had anyway.

Oh, and they'll be made in Europe. :mrgreen:

I don't give a fudge cack about blue passports. If it makes you feel superior to lower the level of discussion to such levels the carry on.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 am

tinned wrote:When the United States of Europe gains traction perhaps all you know-it-all's will realise what a close shave we had. Unless you'd like to be members of such a union?

Not that tired old chestnut? As it stands, Britain has a veto on closer ties within the EU. So it'll never happen without the agreement of the UK. Of course, after wrexit all bets are off, and they'll probably become more federal, while good old blighty becomes poorer, marginalised and irrelevant, although the new trade deals with Swaziland and Norfolk Island will keep the wolf from the door.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:39 am

tinned wrote:When the United States of Europe gains traction perhaps all you know-it-all's will realise what a close shave we had. Unless you'd like to be members of such a union?

<sigh>

How many times do we have to tell you about how wrong you are?

WE HAVE A VETO!

We will now LOSE that veto so the EU can apply as many trade rules that they like and we will be able to do naff all about it.

Besides, I'd rather have a USE than the poor excuse for a country we will be after Brexit.

Can YOU give me a pro of Brexit Tinned?

If you think this point is a PRO - think again. It isn't - it just shows your ignorance.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:07 am

'Gains traction' that'll be code for never, unless the entire EU becomes the mind hive that the wrexiteers constantly portray it as. Everyone from Poland to Portugal, from France to Finland thinking and speaking as one entity. Britain bravely standing up to an army of odd speaking robots. Sounds legit. :roll:

I suppose the close shave was with maintaining our status as the world's 5th largest economy. Now 7th ... didn't see that on any bus adverts. :idea:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:33 pm

So we have a veto to stop what the vast majority of the EU want to happen? Why would anyone want to stop in a club that 99% of the members have totally opposite ambitions to themselves?

In the long run there is no way closer financial/economic/legal/social ties can benefit all parties. There isn't a one size fits all for countries so far apart as France & Germany and Greece & Portugal. It can't and won't work. Trouble is they want to try and force it to work first.

It's a disaster in the making and I'm glad we'll be well clear.

Never mind, keep yourselves busy pretending people's real concerns are the colour of the sodding passports :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:46 pm

tinned wrote:So we have a veto to stop what the vast majority of the EU want to happen? Why would anyone want to stop in a club that 99% of the members have totally opposite ambitions to themselves?

In the long run there is no way closer financial/economic/legal/social ties can benefit all parties. There isn't a one size fits all for countries so far apart as France & Germany and Greece & Portugal. It can't and won't work. Trouble is they want to try and force it to work first.

Never mind, keep yourselves busy pretending people's real concerns are the colour of the sodding passports :roll:

It's simply pointless arguing Tinned. We are doomed all doomed because of Brexit and there is nothing you can say that will persuade them otherwise.

You can make a perfectly rational and valid point that you can't possibly have a monetary union without a fiscal union, or you will end up with the ongoing and unresolved crisis we have in the south of Europe and apparently this makes you a swivel eyed racist. It's not worth it.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 pm

aaaae wrote:
tinned wrote:So we have a veto to stop what the vast majority of the EU want to happen? Why would anyone want to stop in a club that 99% of the members have totally opposite ambitions to themselves?

It's simply pointless arguing Tinned. We are doomed all doomed because of Brexit and there is nothing you can say that will persuade them otherwise.

You can make a perfectly rational and valid point that you can't possibly have a monetary union without a fiscal union, or you will end up with the ongoing and unresolved crisis we have in the south of Europe and apparently this makes you a swivel eyed racist. It's not worth it.

I think you're right pal.

They keep asking for positives for leaving the EU. One positive for me IS avoiding ever closer ties, which IS the ultimate aim of the EU.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:33 pm

That is not a positive, Tinned.

Besides, how do you know that all 27 countries want to form a United States of Europe?

I'm sure there are elements of the EU that do - but then again there are also elements of the EU that don't.

The Veto is there for a reason.

Surely, if the UK wants to be a major world player (which it won't be now after Brexit!!!), then having a big say in what happens in the EU is something we would want. We will now just sit there on the sidelines, like a mouse, squeaking at our neighbours while the US, Russia and the other countries laugh at us.

There are no positives!! If there were, you would list them.

You can't!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:That is not a positive, Tinned.

Besides, how do you know that all 27 countries want to form a United States of Europe?

I'm sure there are elements of the EU that do - but then again there are also elements of the EU that don't.

Surely, if the UK wants to be a major world player (which it won't be now after Brexit!!!), then having a big say in what happens in the EU is something we would want. We will now just sit there on the sidelines, like a mouse, squeaking at our neighbours while the US, Russia and the other countries laugh at us.

You can't!

So you aren't bothered what a complete mess the EU make of things as long as we're in the middle of it instead of being on the sidelines watching from afar?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:41 pm

aaaae wrote:

Total crap.

No-one is flipping doomed, so why use that stupid language? No-one is racist due to the fact they voted to leave, there is simply a cross over with some individuals. It was swivel eyed loons by the way, not racists.

The reality, and extremely sorry to burst in on your carefully constructed fantasy land, is that there will be painful and utterly avoidable economic effects. And for what? Literally nothing. No-one has come up with a single jot of positive reward beyond wild hypothesising about a future EU nation state, vague conspiracies and jingoistic masturbations over the trinkets of an empire that hasn't existed since 1945.

We are more likely to fall under the sway of a united Europe by being removed from having any say in it whatsoever. Time to wake up yet?

Why not try observing the reality than fabricating something that you misimagined in a nightmare after watching too many Dad's army repeats?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:44 pm

tinned wrote:

You can't!

So you aren't bothered what a complete mess the EU make of things as long as we're in the middle of it instead of being on the sidelines watching from afar?

How are the EU making a mess of things?

Growth is the EU is far higher than it is for us.

That, to me, means that it is US who are making a bloody mess of things.

We had the freedom of a strong Europe - now we will sit on the sidelines as they grow and become more powerful.

But at least our passports will be a nice colour, eh?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:46 pm

tinned wrote:

You can't!

What mess? It's the largest trading block on earth within which we were attaining growth rates of 3%. And that's including the issue of Greece and Portugal. Shouldn't it have crumbled by now? Seems remarkably resilient despite the all too regular death sentences. I thought France and Holland were going to leave?

But 'mess'. :|

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:06 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:But at least our passports will be a nice colour, eh?

aaaae is spot on. It is absolutely pointless engaging in conversation with you.

It's been a while since you pulled out the straight banana jibe. Time for a return?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm

tinned wrote:

It's been a while since you pulled out the straight banana jibe. Time for a return?

Of all the debates I've ever witnessed on UTS, people never walk away unless they've got absolutely nothing left in the ammo locker. No links, no videos in support (however ridiculous), no press cuttings ... nothing.

But you've 'had enough' of the debate. :idea: :wink:

I believe you! :D

PS - why not point to rise in the FT 100?? Surely that's got to be a positive! :?:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

Of all the debates I've ever witnessed on UTS, people never walk away unless they've got absolutely nothing left in the ammo locker. No links, no videos in support (however ridiculous), no press cuttings ... nothing.

But you've 'had enough' of the debate. :idea: :wink:

I believe you! :D

PS - why not point to rise in the FT 100?? Surely that's got to be a positive! :?:

Well Manchester had pulled the argument winning passport line out of nowhere. Can't compete with that level of debate. Time to withdraw gracefully :shock:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:35 pm

tinned wrote:

Giving up that easily, eh? :D

Can't recognise a bit of banter, eh? Come on, Tinned - you're better than that.

All I have to say is that it seems like every Brexiteer has given up because there is not ONE POSITIVIE for brexit.

Care to re-engage with something tangible instead of your US of E theory?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

All I have to say is that it seems like every Brexiteer has given up because there is not ONE POSITIVIE for brexit.

I'm sure Swampy will be along shortly post something about June 2016. That's literally the only input now. The amount of embarrassed shuffling of feet and averted eye contact is actually palpable.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:25 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

I'm sure Swampy will be along shortly post something about June 2016. That's literally the only input now. The amount of embarrassed shuffling of feet and averted eye contact is actually palpable.

Nice to see it is only the Remainers clutching at straws and constantly mentioning "the blue passport" issue.
Like Tinned I couldn't give a monkey's what colour my passport is, just so long as I get through passport control I couldn't give a cack.
But your arguments are that invalid in praising the corrupt EU, you have to revert back to this numerous times daily.
Positives have been posted, neglected to be ignored by yourself and other remainers.
As I said to MS yesterday, heed your own words and don't believe everything you read.
Oh and seen as we keep going over old news I will join in. Where is this "Financial Armageddon" we was promised 18 months ago.
I am still waiting.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Right on cue.

Absolutely brilliant stuff. You've added literally nothing. :D

And the blue passport was a headline in several of the Wrexit rags, lauded as some kind of absurd triumph. :wink:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Right on cue.

And the blue passport was a headline in several of the Wrexit rags, lauded as some kind of absurd triumph. :wink:

And you still haven't provided any evidence whatsoever of the "Financial Armageddon" .
You just carry on making yourself moist over "the blue passport issue" which doesn't actually bother us that voted leave.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:51 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

And you still haven't provided any evidence whatsoever of the "Financial Armageddon" .
You just carry on making yourself moist over "the blue passport issue" which doesn't actually bother us that voted leave.

You don't actually read any of the comments do you?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

And you and MS come on here preaching doom and gloom but provide no evidence just relying on forecast which have been proven wrong since June 2016.
Like I said still waiting for evidence of the Armageddon that was promised.
Come on, back your doom predictions up with hard evidence instead of forecasts which have been wrong.
I can make forecasts that are proven wrong, here is one, Man Utd will win the Premiershite. I know that is wrong but that is my "forecast".

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:55 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

And you and MS come on here preaching doom and gloom but provide no evidence just relying on forecast which have been proven wrong since June 2016.
Come on, back your doom predictions up with hard evidence instead of forecasts which have been wrong.
I can make forecasts that are proven wrong, here is one, Man Utd will win the Premiershite. I know that is wrong but that is my "forecast".

Where's your forecast for the UK's prospects after Brexit?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

What on earth are you wibbling on about now?

You have been furnished with ample evidence of the problems Wrexit is causing, yet choose to not engage with them. Simply read the thread.

At some point you're going to have move on from simply parroting June 2016 and Armageddon as if that's some kind of meaningful replacement for an actual argument ... what then? :?:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:14 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

What on earth are you wibbling on about now?

You have been furnished with ample evidence of the problems Wrexit is causing, yet choose to not engage with them. Simply read the thread.

At some point you're going to have move on from simply parroting June 2016 and Armageddon as if that's some kind of meaningful replacement for an actual argument ... what then? :?:

WREXIT

No way did I vote to break trade links with Wrexham

Stop this madness now!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Cowshed wrote:
WREXIT

No way did I vote to break trade links with Wrexham

Stop this madness now!!!!

:D :D :D

Wrexham - it's the future!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Hmm, interesting.

So, there is a justifiable fear amongst some that remaining in the EU would have resulted in a tighter fiscal and political union further down the line? Personally I don't think that would have happened, and neither would a fully fledged EU Army be created, there is no way the EU member states would ever agree to how such a force would be financially maintained and the contributions be shared out fairly, just would not happen.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Exile wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Where's your forecast for the UK's prospects after Brexit?

A one way trade deal with the USA which we would very much be the junior partner.

No fudge thank you

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Exile wrote:

Not that tired old chestnut? As it stands, Britain has a veto on closer ties within the EU. So it'll never happen without the agreement of the UK. Of course, after wrexit all bets are off, and they'll probably become more federal, while good old blighty becomes poorer, marginalised and irrelevant, although the new trade deals with Swaziland and Norfolk Island will keep the wolf from the door.

Exactly! How do some people not get this. We've actually made a United States of Europe (without any evidence this is a bad thing anyway) MORE likely by leaving the EU than we would if we had stayed in. We had a say, now we don't.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Interesting experience travelling from Rome yesterday.

The first sighting of what is to come for travelers after brexit was at passport control when my blasted passport wouldn't scan, like a few others. I was shown to a line for a good old fashioned person to actually confirm it was in fact my picture. Whilst I waited for a good half an hour I glanced at the line next to me. The "Non EU" line. At least 4 times as long and seemingly taking for ever to move.

Then it was a brisk walk through duty free, where certain passengers were refused service based on tax law and being outside of the EU. Interesting that it would cost some more for a packet of fags than EU members. I wonder if that is a small example of a bigger picture :?:

For anybody that travels regularly there is going to be more impact than just monitory (although that is also a factor). Convenience is a big part too. Blue passport or not it's going to be a pain in the arse.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League