Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Festive drink of choice

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Festive drink of choice

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Currently on Tanqueray and fever tree tonic, which is nice, but I think my fave is Bombay Sapphire East and fever tree, with a squeeze of LIME.

But what about you ... :?:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Festive drink of choice

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

The blood of Christ.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 pm

The fever tree Clementine with a hint of Cinnamon is the dogs....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Home made sangria by the jug, with plenty of brandy and "43" as basic ingredients. :D

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Sloe gin made by Mrs. DS. The first glass taken when she writes the first Christmas card.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:58 pm

I don't really have a festive drink? i love real ales and a nice glass of chardonnay and if i hit the top shelf then it's southern comfort on the rocks, but that's just a typical night :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm

chunkster wrote:I don't really have a festive drink? i love real ales and a nice glass of chardonnay and if i hit the top shelf then it's southern comfort on the rocks, but that's just a typical night :lol:

I've had a bottle of southern comfort, unopened for some 8 years, in my kitchen. Apart from occasionally liking a sip in my early 20s I've no idea why I bought it. :D Nice in a pint of snakebite though, called a Depthcharge back in my student days. Lethal.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Super Gabor wrote:
chunkster wrote:I don't really have a festive drink? i love real ales and a nice glass of chardonnay and if i hit the top shelf then it's southern comfort on the rocks, but that's just a typical night :lol:

I've had a bottle of southern comfort, unopened for some 8 years, in my kitchen. Apart from occasionally liking a sip in my early 20s I've no idea why I bought it. :D Nice in a pint of snakebite though, called a Depthcharge back in my student days. Lethal.

Lethal in your student days :shock: it would probably kill me at my age :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 pm

chunkster wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:

Lethal in your student days :shock: it would probably kill me at my age :lol:
A pint of snakebite alone now would make me fall over Chunkster :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:17 am

Methode Tradifionelle down here. It's Summer after all!

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm

5 litre party can of anything from Davenports

'

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:10 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Currently on Tanqueray and fever tree tonic, which is nice, but I think my fave is Bombay Sapphire East and fever tree, with a squeeze of LIME.

PHILISTINE.

Gin and Tonic is always best with a twist of Lemon. Never Lime. Americans have always tried to serve it with Lime. Says it all really. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:18 pm

saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Currently on Tanqueray and fever tree tonic, which is nice, but I think my fave is Bombay Sapphire East and fever tree, with a squeeze of LIME.

PHILISTINE.

Gin and Tonic is always best with a twist of Lemon. Never Lime. Americans have always tried to serve it with Lime. Says it all really. :mrgreen:

:oops:

Crushed and humiliated! :x

:D :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Has anyone ever heard of a black velvet? half a Guinness and half a cider, lovely :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am

chunkster wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a black velvet? half a Guinness and half a cider, lovely :mrgreen:

That's a cocktail that's changed over the years, as traditionally it always used to be Guinness and champagne.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:26 am

Exile wrote:
chunkster wrote:Has anyone ever heard of a black velvet? half a Guinness and half a cider, lovely :mrgreen:

That's a cocktail that's changed over the years, as traditionally it always used to be Guinness and champagne.

Yes ... the Guinness and cider combination is sometimes referred to as "The poor man's Black Velvet"

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:53 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Yes ... the Guinness and cider combination is sometimes referred to as "The poor man's Black Velvet"

Black velour, perhaps... :mrgreen:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 am

Festive brew? Probably some indulgent stout thats heavy on the cocca flavours.

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:20 pm

It's the time of the year when patience is required at the bar.

Who hasn't been stuck behind someone asking for half a pint of bitter shandy, a port and lemon and a schooner of Harveys Bristol Cream? When pressed by the barman which bitter they want, they always ask for the weakest "because they're driving ". As if that amount is going to register in their bloodstream.

They're usually the ones who don't know whether their mate wants ice and lemon in her drink and rather than taking a chance and saying yes (they could always scoop it out if not wanted) they have to make the journey back to the farthest corner of the pub to ask. Then they have to fight their way back to the bar to give the barman the answer, before repeating the whole exercise because they can't decide whether their mate wants salted or dry roasted nuts.

Then when they finally have their drinks they ask for a tray to carry the three tiny glasses over to the corner, before holding up all the other thirsty sods at the bar by not realising that beer no longer costs £1 a pint and having to rummage through their pockets for more money.

And please don't get me started on kids in pubs....................

Return to General Chat & Prediction League