Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Budget

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Budget

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 pm

cookyskid wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:.
Changing your mind. That is like me buying a Subway, taking a bite, and saying "I don't want that now, money back please".
Democracy was handed out last year, the vote was taken and we are Leaving.

If I found out that they had put a big steaming turd in the sandwich I'd be fully entitled to take it back. :D

That's exactly what Brexit is.

:D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:50 pm

cookyskid wrote:
Changing your mind. That is like me buying a Subway, taking a bite, and saying "I don't want that now, money back please".

If I found out that they had put a big steaming turd in the sandwich I'd be fully entitled to take it back. :D

Depends on if that is what you ordered :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
cookyskid wrote:

Your opinion. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:23 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
cookyskid wrote:

Lots of people's opinion.

Tell us more about all the wonderful positives Brexit will bring...

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Exile wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
cookyskid wrote:

Lots of people's opinion.

Tell us more about all the wonderful positives Brexit will bring...

Obviously not the opinion of the MAJORITY last year was it ?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:39 pm

And still you can't give me even ONE real positive.

Not one.

Come on Swampster - or indeed any OTHER Brexiteer - there must be at least ONE.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:46 pm

What is/was the point of having a referendum if the result like it or not does not stand, agreed people may have changed their minds and a second vote may go to remain but what then .
Do we go best of 3 or 5 or until someone somewhere decides we will have that one.
There is previous for this on a smaller scale when the Unions ran the country (one for older posters) the unoins would have a ballot for going on strike and if the result was no we had another and another until they got a yes and of course that was binding no more v otes.
this seems to be the attitude of the remainers yes we are struggling at moment and our negotiating team looks like as useful as rushall olympic playing barcelona but the people wanted a vote and the result should be accepted or why bother having any other votes or elections.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:And still you can't give me even ONE real positive.

Not one.

I keep asking you where this Armageddon is that we was promised and still get no hard evidence of it !!
Why ? Because it never materialized, along with all the other doom and gloom predictions.

Here is another positive of Brexit alongside all the other that have been posted by, myself and others, during the last 18 months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42131742

"Germany's Qiagen will expand its investment in a genomics and diagnostics campus in Manchester.".

German investment in the UK, who would have thought it considering we are on the verge of armageddon and recession after the racist, not thinking about youth, xenophobes voted to Leave the idyllic EU.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

Not one.

I keep asking you where this Armageddon is that we was promised and still get no hard evidence of it !!
Why ? Because it never materialized, along with all the other doom and gloom predictions.

Here is another positive of Brexit alongside all the other that have been posted by, myself and others, during the last 18 months.

"Germany's Qiagen will expand its investment in a genomics and diagnostics campus in Manchester.".

German investment in the UK, who would have thought it considering we are on the verge of armageddon and recession after the racist, not thinking about youth, xenophobes voted to Leave the idyllic EU.

The only people alluding to Armegeddon were Brexiteers on the day after the result. No-one else has ever suggested anything like it: Merely that the economy would suffer and costs and services would become more expensive to maintain. Guess who's going to foot the bill? The British public.

As for the investment. There will always be investment in every country. There's investment in North Korea. The NET effect of Brexit is the loss of jobs.

Meanwhile ...

www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/europea ... -Amsterdam

The European medicines agency will move from Britain to Amsterdam. Dwarfing this German investment over the coming decades. But that's nothing, NOTHING to the effect of the loss of the financial services industry which will be gobbled up by Frankfurt and Paris.

whoop. :|

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Not one.

The only people alluding to Armegeddon were Brexiteers on the day after the result. No-one else has ever suggested anything like it: Merely that the economy would suffer and costs and services would become more expensive to maintain. Guess who's going to foot the bill? The British public.

As for the investment. There will always be investment in every country. There's investment in North Korea. The NET effect of Brexit is the loss of jobs.

Meanwhile ...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/ ... -Amsterdam

The European medicines agency will move from Britain to Amsterdam. Dwarfing this German investment over the coming decades. But that's nothing, NOTHING to the effect of the loss of the financial services industry which will be gobbled up by Frankfurt and Paris.

So you lived in a cave then whilst George Osborne, David Cameron, John Major, Nick Clegg, Alastair Campbell (still doing it on a daily basis on Twitter and being ripped apart every-time), Tony Blair (cross party examples there for you) etc etc etc etc etc were spouting about Armageddon, Recession, regretting the vote if we leave.
Well I can heartedly say that everyone I speak to, who actually voted, would NOT change their mind be it Leave or Remain.
And the reason for that............................they believe in democracy and that democracy should prevail. As in WE LEAVE like the country voted for, but I don't expect sore losers like the majority of Remainers to understand democracy.
Toys out of pram for 18 months now, stupid legal challenges which do fudge all but delay the inevitable, calls for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th(and so on) referendum until remain actually win.
If that is your idea of democracy, being told what a result is even if the actual result is different, may I suggest you go and reside in a country where your mind is made up for you i.e another EU country or even North Korea.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Brexiters. Still don't know what they voted for.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:26 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Not one.

Meanwhile ...

So you lived in a cave then whilst George Osborne, David Cameron, John Major, Nick Clegg, Alastair Campbell (still doing it on a daily basis on Twitter and being ripped apart every-time), Tony Blair (cross party examples there for you) etc etc etc etc etc were spouting about Armageddon, Recession, regretting the vote if we leave.
Well I can heartedly say that everyone I speak to, who actually voted, would NOT change their mind be it Leave or Remain.
And the reason for that............................they believe in democracy and that democracy should prevail. As in WE LEAVE like the country voted for, but I don't expect sore losers like the majority of Remainers to understand democracy.
Toys out of pram for 18 months now, stupid legal challenges which do fudge all but delay the inevitable, calls for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th(and so on) referendum until remain actually win.
If that is your idea of democracy, being told what a result is even if the actual result is different, may I suggest you go and reside in a country where your mind is made up for you i.e another EU country or even North Korea.

Shall I inform you what Democracy isn't? Blindly advancing into the face of an obvious shit-storm that will damage the economy and vitality of the country.

As I've said, pragmatism will win in the end. Eventually. Whether it takes 20 years of waste and stifled growth, or whether people wake up to the fact that we have yet to collectively journey down that hard road and save themselves the pain is the question.

You seem to have made your mind, no matter what. Cos democracy and Armageddon apparently. :?:

But still no coherent positives FOR Brexit. :idea:

Nice to see those who urged you to leave taking up the challenge of actually delivering it. Nope they've buggered off.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Not one.

Meanwhile ...

Shall I inform you what Democracy isn't? Blindly advancing into the face of an obvious shit-storm that will damage the economy and vitality of the country.

As I've said, pragmatism will win in the end. Eventually. Whether it takes 20 years of waste and stifled growth, or whether people wake up to the fact that we have yet to collectively journey down that hard road and save themselves the pain is the question.

You seem to have made your mind, no matter what. Cos democracy and Armageddon apparently. :?:

But still no coherent positives FOR Brexit. :idea:

Nice to see those who urged you to leave taking up the challenge of actually delivering it. Nope they've buggered off.

So please tell me what was the point of the Referendum then ?
It was called for the public's opinion on whether we should A. Remain in the EU or B. Leave the EU and promised that the result would be upheld either way.
Now the votes were cast, counted and verified and the winning majority said LEAVE.
Now that is a democratic vote.

Did I expect it to go in favor of Leave, NO I didn't (but then again I never expected Trump to victorious in the States).
Was Davis Cameron arrogant ? YES he was. He expected a Remain majority and had plans set for his victory speech.
Arrogance that cost him his job, along with George Osbourne.
Talking of "where are the Leave campaigners" where are the two mentioned ?
That's right Cameron threw his toys out and jumped ship. Osbourne was sacked and is now the editor of a newspaper.
Another Remain campaigner Nick Clegg where is he now ? That's right his loyal public saw him for what he is, a snake in the grass, and voted otherwise. What is he doing with himself apart from spouting bile at every opportunity and sliming into back door meetings with the acy's in Brussels ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:13 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
So please tell me what was the point of the Referendum then ?
It was called for the public's opinion on whether we should A. Remain in the EU or B. Leave the EU and promised that the result would be upheld either way.
Now the votes were cast, counted and verified and the winning majority said LEAVE.
Now that is a democratic vote.

Did I expect it to go in favor of Leave, NO I didn't (but then again I never expected Trump to victorious in the States).
Was Davis Cameron arrogant ? YES he was. He expected a Remain majority and had plans set for his victory speech.
Arrogance that cost him his job, along with George Osbourne.
Talking of "where are the Leave campaigners" where are the two mentioned ?
That's right Cameron threw his toys out and jumped ship. Osbourne was sacked and is now the editor of a newspaper.
Another Remain campaigner Nick Clegg where is he now ? That's right his loyal public saw him for what he is, a snake in the grass, and voted otherwise. What is he doing with himself apart from spouting bile at every opportunity and sliming into back door meetings with the acy's in Brussels ?

Well, you've answered it yourself - the vote was brought for Cameron to assert authority over his errant party. In light of which and the absurd manner in which it was conducted, history will look back and either laugh or wince. Apalling.

The mess it's left is still no closer to being cleared up because no-one knows what to do. Meanwhile the economy is damaged and the long-term future of the country is diminished. But let's proceed with the experiment!

Let's not. Let's look at the evidence being ladled out before us and think again. Democracies are allowed to do that.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm

It's ironic really because the Conservative party is totally divided and in a bigger mess than when Cameron was in charge.

Except this time, they've taken the country with them on this journey to madness.

Am I wrong?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:It's ironic really because the Conservative party is totally divided and in a bigger mess than when Cameron was in charge.

Except this time, they've taken the country with them on this journey to madness.

Am I wrong?

And the alternative is ????????????????????????
Steptoe Corbyn with his open door policy (and sitting down for tea and biscuits with terrorists) and allowing MP's to resort to personal attacks re Emma Dent Coad.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... g-theresa/

Alongside the maths genius Dianne Abbott and John, I will rip the country apart with mass debt, McDonnell.
Not forgetting the bumbling waste of time West Brom MP Tom Watson.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:It's ironic really because the Conservative party is totally divided and in a bigger mess than when Cameron was in charge.

Am I wrong?

And the alternative is ????????????????????????
Steptoe Corbyn with his open door policy (and sitting down for tea and biscuits with terrorists) and allowing MP's to resort to personal attacks re Emma Dent Coad.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... g-theresa/

Alongside the maths genius Dianne Abbott and John, I will rip the country apart with mass debt, McDonnell.
Not forgetting the bumbling waste of time West Brom MP Tom Watson.

Any alternative is better, Swampy, (well not UKIP or other right wing nutters).

If you analyse the facts and read around a little, rather than jumping to conclusions you may actually see the bigger picture.

"Sitting down for tea and biscuits with terrorists!" - What's your solution, Swampy. Go in and wipe them out killing millions of innocent people on the way? A bit like Tony Blair and George Bush did in Iraq?

Everything you say about people like Diane Abbott applies to people all over the political spectrum so discussions like that, to me, are irrelevant. You may call me a looney lefty but believe you me, there are plenty of Labour MPs who I do not like at all. Worse, the number of Tory MPs who throw mud around at the Labour benches with unacceptable language and insults (a bit like the way you speak about Corbyn) is as bad if not worse, which kind of negates your point about Labour mud-slinging.

THEY ALL DO IT, mate - and if you don't agree then you are either naive or simply limit your reading to Tory propoganda (well - it did come from the Telegraph after all). If you don't believe me, look at all the cack that was hurled at Corbyn during the last election campaign.

If we stick with the Conservatives, a party in total disarray, led by a PM who has no power or influence over her own party, a lame duck PM if you like, then the country will become split down the middle in terms of the "haves" and "have nots" - you can see it already. BTW - the "have nots" includes both you and I. The NHS will be in an even worse mess, and austerity will destroy all but the most Tory outposts.

Moreover, Brexit will only make it worse.

So my alternative would be anything (within reason) other than the incompetent bunch we have on the government side of the benches at the moment - even if it is Jeremy Corbyn - and believe me, he is not my favourite politician by any stretch of the imagination.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Interesting read on what we can and cannot "veto" whilst a member of the EU.

http://www.eu-facts.org.uk/arguments-by ... w-eu-laws/

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 am

50+ billion for the divorce bill, which, if I recall, was merely scare tactics from project fear and would 'never happen'. :idea:

We are beginning to see the start the impact. How long until common sense takes over? :?:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:50+ billion for the divorce bill, which, if I recall, was merely scare tactics from project fear and would 'never happen'. :idea:

We are beginning to see the start the impact. How long until common sense takes over? :?:

I'll gladly take that hit to get out of USofE.

Anyway, that will be a lot less than the financial shitstorm that will hit all EU countries when the implosion of the whole sorry experiment happens. We'll be well rid at that point.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 pm

tinned wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:50+ billion for the divorce bill, which, if I recall, was merely scare tactics from project fear and would 'never happen'. :idea:

Anyway, that will be a lot less than the financial shitstorm that will hit all EU countries when the implosion of the whole sorry experiment happens. We'll be well rid at that point.

That 60 year experiment is likely to implode at any minute!!!!

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

The 60 years of trading agreements would , in my opinion, continue for "ever".

However, I believe, that the powers that be want an ever closer political and social union, with the ultimate ambition of there being a United States of Europe. It's this that I envisage will crumble when more and more European citizens decide they don't want to be part of one super country.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 pm

tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

However, I believe, that the powers that be want an ever closer political and social union, with the ultimate ambition of there being a United States of Europe. It's this that I envisage will crumble when more and more European citizens decide they don't want to be part of one super country.

Ah the old "Nigel Farage Domino Effect". I.e. voting against something that might or might not happen based on complete guess work. Your prerogative of course.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:35 pm

tinned wrote:

They might lose Greece ... *shrug*

This 50-55 billion is simply the start. If it was just this then, yeah, but we're paying for it already in loss of services.
But the real pain lies ahead as our slice of the EU pie is siphoned off to various other countries, who will benefit immensely from our financial services sector etc.

So the plan now is to continue waiting for German car companies to come to the rescue (my, aren't they taking their time?)
That trade deal with Atlantis - Australia has already scoffed at our plan for them.
Or for the EU to collapse in a spectacular fashion and reduce to roughly our level of ineptitude? :?:

That's a great plan. :|

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 pm

tinned wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
tinned wrote:

They'll simply keep being part of the world's largest trading block and doing very nicely on it, as we were.
If that's what you voted to stop, not only was it not happening, but we had the veto to stop it anyway. Now we haven't and it's actually more likely that we'll be pulled into the very agglomerated mass you feared. We have literally no say in it.

We'll be under roughly the same trading conditions in the future, when at some point a younger generation corrects this huge mistake, but with the increased likelihood of forming even closer ties as part of our re-entry deal.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:51 pm

tinned wrote:

Really? I can tell by this post that you have done virtually no research on the EU at all, simply being spoon fed propaganda by the likes of Nigel Farage and his mob, Boris Johnson and all the other little Englanders who want to return the UK back to the 1950s.

Up until the Brexit vote, we had never had it so good as a nation. We had wealth, influence and were part of an EU that we could influence directly, reaping the benefits of free trade, free movement with all the perks that this brings.

Now we are at best a laughing stock, will be punished financially (and so it begins - you can see the news already), will have a poorer economy, poorer relations with our neighbours, less benfits, less money and crawling to any country that will trade with us, being subject to all of the downsides that this entails.

As you can see, we are in a great position with all the other countries in the world who are queuing up to do a deal with us - on their temrs (not ours because we will be so desperate).

This United States of Europe myth is very damaging and also totally and utterly untrue. I suggest you do some research.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Up until the Brexit vote, we had never had it so good as a nation. We had wealth, influence and were part of an EU that we could influence directly, reaping the benefits of free trade, free movement with all the perks that this brings.

Now we are at best a laughing stock, will be punished financially (and so it begins - you can see the news already), will have a poorer economy, poorer relations with our neighbours, less benfits, less money and crawling to any country that will trade with us, being subject to all of the downsides that this entails.

As you can see, we are in a great position with all the other countries in the world who are queuing up to do a deal with us - on their temrs (not ours because we will be so desperate).

This United States of Europe myth is very damaging and also totally and utterly untrue. I suggest you do some research.[/quote]

This should read London and the south not nation tell people and places we never had it so good you know the ones already living in poverty , using food banks with no jobs because industries have closed down or moved to europe before the vote. What benifits has the EU given them or our MPS who think the country ends at Watford. How can it get any worse when you have nothing.
The real panic is that it is going to hit bankers, stockbrokers etc , they may have to give up one of their Bentlys or Jags.
This is why many voted not on the EU but to say what about us .This was was all caused by the greedy few who will now feel a bit of the pain the majority feel.

Rant over.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:This should read London and the south not nation tell people and places we never had it so good you know the ones already living in poverty , using food banks with no jobs because industries have closed down or moved to europe before the vote. What benifits has the EU given them or our MPS who think the country ends at Watford. How can it get any worse when you have nothing.
The real panic is that it is going to hit bankers, stockbrokers etc , they may have to give up one of their Bentlys or Jags.
This is why many voted not on the EU but to say what about us .This was was all caused by the greedy few who will now feel a bit of the pain the majority feel.
Rant over.

Well, like others have said before, a fairly chunky percentage of the Brexit vote was also an anti-Cameron vote, and if what you say is true, then surely the villains involved in the creation of poverty and food banks would be out on a limb - i.e. the Conservative Party.

If you look at the demographic for who voted Brexit it was a fairly even spread throughout the country, i.e. not all Remainers are in the south as your rant suggests. Like I said - do some research and the truth will set you free.

You can't equate the Brexiteers with poor people - a simple search will prove my point.

Take a look - it might just open your eyes a little wider.

But be sure of one thing, if there WERE any people who voted because they were poor and blame the EU for that (and I am sure there are) then they will surely be the ones who suffer when the economy drops through the floor - the signs of which we are already seeing.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:59 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:This should read London and the south not nation tell people and places we never had it so good you know the ones already living in poverty , using food banks with no jobs because industries have closed down or moved to europe before the vote. What benifits has the EU given them or our MPS who think the country ends at Watford. How can it get any worse when you have nothing.
Rant over.

Well, like others have said before, a fairly chunky percentage of the Brexit vote was also an anti-Cameron vote, and if what you say is true, then surely the villains involved in the creation of poverty and food banks would be out on a limb - i.e. the Conservative Party.

I have always said this was not a true EU vote but a protest vote against Governments Cameron (tories) Blair (labour) who always seem to look after south of Watford and ignore the north.

If you look at the demographic for who voted Brexit it was a fairly even spread throughout the country, i.e. not all Remainers are in the south as your rant suggests. Like I said - do some research and the truth will set you free.

I am not thick enough to think everyone in the south voted remain and the north leave,there are obviously people/towns/cities who voted different but I beleive and my memory is not great that London was the only area in england to vote remain the rest of the areas voted leave I may be wrong for which I apologise in advance.

You can't equate the Brexiteers with poor people - a simple search will prove my point.

I never suggested all brexiteers were poor but areas that had a lot of poverty usually did.

Take a look - it might just open your eyes a little wider.

I love your passion on brexit and respect the same as other views on both sides but I find comments like this a lttle bit patronising as if you are right and nobody else.

But be sure of one thing, if there WERE any people who voted because they were poor and blame the EU for that (and I am sure there are) then they will surely be the ones who suffer when the economy drops through the floor - the signs of which we are already seeing.

I agree all your claims about the doom we are heading for may come true but I thick as I am cannot see how people who have nothing can get anything worse.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:03 am

Apologies for sounding patronising - I didn't mean that. It just frustrates me sometimes that certain people don't seem to know all of the facts.

Given the working people are currently struggling and using food banks, I can only see Brexit making that worse.

The rich will be affected too - they just won't care because they are loaded.

Tough times to come.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League