Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Its just like watching Walsall

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
sirrammell

Its just like watching Walsall

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 am

This whole post might make me unpopular but here goes anyway.

I recently moved to London and can't get to Tuesday night home games so last night I headed to Brentford for their game against Burton. Had to tick that ground off before they demolish it. Fantastic evening out, had a pint in each of the four corner pubs and really enjoyed the character of the stadium, crying shame it is going to be hit by a wrecking ball.

Anyway, with Mr Smith in the dugout and Sawyers on the pitch it was truly like watching Walsall of old. A patient passing game which was both nice to watch and frustrating. A group of clearly talented players who stuck to their game plan (and ultimately didn't get the win). Sawyers spread around some fantastic passes, whilst appearing to fall asleep in some moments. The fans, despite a Burton equaliser clearly had full support for Smith's vision.

To me, Brentford seemed to show the potential of a club like Walsall..if you have a chairman who aims to keep the club in the second level rather than the third.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Its just like watching Walsall

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

sirrammell wrote:... if you have a Chairman who aims to keep the club in the second level rather than the third.

... and there you have WFC's problem in a nutshell.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
sirrammell wrote:... if you have a Chairman who aims to keep the club in the second level rather than the third.

... and there you have WFC's problem in a nutshell.

Brentford's aim is to be in the Premier League, not just settle in the second tier.
However, matching Matthew Benham's financial input (around 100 million at the last count :shock:) would be a little beyond our number 1 fan!!!

sirrammell

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:44 am

I was chatting to a few fans there and apparently their realistic aims have tempered some what (for now). Perhaps after their new stadium move they will look up the divisions again.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 pm

sirrammell wrote:T. Fantastic evening out, had a pint in each of the four corner pubs

Nice to hear that The Royal Oak is back open. Was disappointed it was closed when we knocked them out the cup last year, as I wanted to do all 4 pubs for the second time :D

sirrammell

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:44 am

Yes it was open. Shame that 3/4 will probably close down when they move.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League