Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rudderless

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Rudderless

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am

Here's an interesting article about Britain from our allies in US that might make interesting reading for those of you who want to see the bigger picture.

Some choice phrases are used:

"heading to nowhere"
"embracing an introverted irrelevance"
"nearly unrecognizable"
"full blown identity crisis"
"engaged in a controlled suicide"

Enjoy (or not)!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/sund ... collection

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Re: Rudderless

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Here's an interesting article about Britain from our allies in US that might make interesting reading for those of you who want to see the bigger picture.

"heading to nowhere"
"nearly unrecognizable"

Enjoy (or not)!

Here's an interesting article for those that are willing to look at both sides of the debate.
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/bre ... eres-lots/

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Interesting from somebody who writes regularly for the Daily Mail, a newspaper that often reports "good news" about Brexit that she says "isn't reported".

Interesting also that she uses the term "snowflake" - one of my all time favourites used by right wingers to describe somebody whose views disagree withtheir own.

Let's analyse this paragraph:

Against this relentlessly pessimistic picture of gloom, doom and uncertainty; of plunging economic prospects (untrue); of collapsing of consumer confidence (untrue); of a drying up of investment (untrue); of job freezes (untrue); of skills shortages because of the ending of free movement (untrue); of the inevitable introduction of tariffs; and of impossible renegotiation (untrue), positive news stories have been, and are consistently, under-reported.

When you read or hear articles about companies moving OUT of Britain, either imminently or having plans to, you surely can't believe that our economic prospects are good? Her use of the word "untrue" here has no evidence to back it up. On the contrary there is plenty of evidence to support the opposite viewpoint.

Where these two articles on this thread differ is that one is clearly written by a biased Brexiteer who writes for a poisonous rag and the other is written by an "outsider" who just happens to be a multi award winning journalist and is viewing the situation from a less biased perspective.

Yes - I admit I am biased - but the NYT article must make uncomfortable reading for any Brexiteer who is willing to pull his head out of the sand and actually see how the rest of the world sees Brexit and its inevitable consequences.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 pm

29 March 2019. Over seven months have passed since May sent the EU her notice to quit, and what's happened in the meantime?

UTS Legend

Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:45 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Interesting from somebody who writes regularly for the Daily Mail, a newspaper that often reports "good news" about Brexit that she says "isn't reported".

Interesting also that she uses the term "snowflake" - one of my all time favourites used by right wingers to describe somebody whose views disagree withtheir own.

Against this relentlessly pessimistic picture of gloom, doom and uncertainty; of plunging economic prospects (untrue); of collapsing of consumer confidence (untrue); of a drying up of investment (untrue); of job freezes (untrue); of skills shortages because of the ending of free movement (untrue); of the inevitable introduction of tariffs; and of impossible renegotiation (untrue), positive news stories have been, and are consistently, under-reported.

When you read or hear articles about companies moving OUT of Britain, either imminently or having plans to, you surely can't believe that our economic prospects are good? Her use of the word "untrue" here has no evidence to back it up. On the contrary there is plenty of evidence to support the opposite viewpoint.

Where these two articles on this thread differ is that one is clearly written by a biased Brexiteer who writes for a poisonous rag and the other is written by an "outsider" who just happens to be a multi award winning journalist and is viewing the situation from a less biased perspective.

Yes - I admit I am biased - but the NYT article must make uncomfortable reading for any Brexiteer who is willing to pull his head out of the sand and actually see how the rest of the world sees Brexit and its inevitable consequences.

I don't think the people this award winning journalist quotes are 'less biased'. They are just biased in a different direction.

Now here's a biased article I like. :mrgreen:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... red-brexit

Tags: 'Talking the country down.' 'Scaremongering.' :shock:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Here's an interesting article about Britain from our allies in US that might make interesting reading for those of you who want to see the bigger picture.

"heading to nowhere"
"nearly unrecognizable"

Enjoy (or not)!

Now that's upsetting :roll:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Keep your head in the sand inside your cave.

:D :mrgreen:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Guest wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Interesting from somebody who writes regularly for the Daily Mail, a newspaper that often reports "good news" about Brexit that she says "isn't reported".

I don't think the people this award winning journalist quotes are 'less biased'. They are just biased in a different direction.

Yes - agreed. You can't have a totally unbiased opinion because everybody is swayed one way or another.

I like the quote "The UK holds all the cards" - that's hilarious. The negotiations ( :lol: ) so far show that we are TOTALLY ill-prepared and hold NO CARDS whatsoever.

Can any Brexiteer prove me wrong?

Get your holidays abroad in before 2019 folks cos after that they will cost you an arm and a leg. And as you pay £15 for your pint in Magalluf or shiver on the beach in June in Blackpool because you can't afford to go to Spain,, reflect on what it was like in the good days before Brexit.

Stiff upper lip, what what?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 am

Would love to have your crystal ball Manchester.
Anyway what are this coming weekends lottery numbers, you seem to have insight into the future!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 am

Wragbyred wrote:Would love to have your crystal ball Manchester.
Anyway what are this coming weekends lottery numbers, you seem to have insight into the future!

Like Brexit, the lottery is a tax on the mathematically inept. :mrgreen:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 am

Wragbyred wrote:Would love to have your crystal ball Manchester.

The lottery is chance.

The effect of Brexit is already happening. Have you been to Europe lately?

:D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:

Yes - agreed. You can't have a totally unbiased opinion because everybody is swayed one way or another.

I like the quote "The UK holds all the cards" - that's hilarious. The negotiations ( :lol: ) so far show that we are TOTALLY ill-prepared and hold NO CARDS whatsoever.

Get your holidays abroad in before 2019 folks cos after that they will cost you an arm and a leg. And as you pay £15 for your pint in Magalluf or shiver on the beach in June in Blackpool because you can't afford to go to Spain,, reflect on what it was like in the good days before Brexit.

Too right the Spanish tourism industry would be devastated in this scenario which would be a problem for Spain who are in the eu so its one for the eu to sort out maybe they could replace British tourists with those from other eu countries- good luck with that

On the other hand British resorts currently on their knees would benefit so happy days

Truth is this is as ridiculous as saying the nhs would have 350 million a day

Some of us will roll our sleeves up and crack on and some will sit back moaning

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Cowshed wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:

Too right the Spanish tourism industry would be devastated in this scenario which would be a problem for Spain who are in the eu so its one for the eu to sort out maybe they could replace British tourists with those from other eu countries- good luck with that

On the other hand British resorts currently on their knees would benefit so happy days

Truth is this is as ridiculous as saying the nhs would have 350 million a day

Some of us will roll our sleeves up and crack on and some will sit back moaning

Just been in Spain, currently in Portugal - pillions of tourists and I don't think we'd be missed - simply replaced. The rich Brits would still go anyway, but the tourism industry would simply appeal to new markets such as China or Russia even if it was an issue. Ordinary European people don't give a toss to be honest. The loss of the UK isn't the catastrophe for them you appear to be making out. If it's ok for us to 'get on with it' then guess what - exactly the same for them too, but with far less implications as they'll spread the damage.

Crack on or moan, we'll still be subject to the same reduction in services and pensions as our economy contracts, as is already happening, while we wait for the German automotive industry leaders to save us or strike an amazing trade deal with Atlantis. Decisions will ultimately be made by European voters and the leaders they vote in.

Harsh reality I'm afraid. They like us, but *shrug* it's the world's biggest market. Suck it up buttercup. :wink:

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am

Marbs, Benidorm and Magaluf beaches packed with Chinese as far as the eye can see - can just picture it :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:25 am

Cowshed wrote:Marbs, Benidorm and Magaluf beaches packed with Chinese as far as the eye can see - can just picture it :lol:

LOL The Chinese don't sunbathe. :D

They do populate cities and other tourist spots in vast numbers once the word gets around though. The Russians do sunbathe, as does the rest of Europe. Amazing what cheap flights can do for tourism and where it can take you. :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:31 pm

Cowshed wrote:Marbs, Benidorm and Magaluf beaches packed with Chinese as far as the eye can see - can just picture it :lol:

:lol:

Packed with more non-Brits because we won't be able to afford it.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

LOL The Chinese don't sunbathe. :D

They do populate cities and other tourist spots in vast numbers once the word gets around though. The Russians do sunbathe, as does the rest of Europe. Amazing what cheap flights can do for tourism and where it can take you. :wink:
The Chinese may not sunbathe, but they have a head for buisiness, i think they own more restaurants and buisinesses in Tenerife than Tenerifian and British owners put together.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League