Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Boring

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Boring

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I was just thinking the other day that General Chat has become rather boring because nobody seems keen to raise topics that will generate debate any more.

Since Sound Out ruined it all for us, it seems we are only willing to post in the All About Walsall section these days (apart from laughing at Saigon's ill-fated attempts to predict football scores :D ).

Do you agree?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Re: Boring

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:07 pm

I blame Donald Trump.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:55 pm

Aye, lets get things moving again.

Morty
Glitterati

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:15 pm

Brexit debate anyone!?? :twisted:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Go for it! You know my views :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 pm

And you know my views on brexit. It was the only reason I have ever voted Tory because Cameron said he was giving us the vote. And I STILL think we made the correct decision despite all the shite we get from bremainers :roll: and I would vote the same again tomorrow so chew on that :mrgreen:

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 pm

chunkster wrote:I voted to fudge up the future of this country once, and I'd do it again, so chew on that :mrgreen:

:wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 pm

There's an ongoing difference of opinion about Whitney, Walsall FC and it's future, so the appetite for additional arenas of debate is somewhat diminished, possibly.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:31 am

We did all the important stuff years ago, when the pinnacle of debate was achieved with the 'hello wat your favrit film' thread.

Never again can we attain such glory.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 am

chunkster wrote:And you know my views on brexit. It was the only reason I have ever voted Tory because Cameron said he was giving us the vote. And I STILL think we made the correct decision despite all the shite we get from bremainers :roll: and I would vote the same again tomorrow so chew on that :mrgreen:

Well I hope you're not personally affected by the shitstorm that will arrive on our shores.

I've canvassed opinion from various foreigners since the vote, both in Europe and further afield and the one constant is that they consider us to be idiots for voting out of the EU.

Chew on that!

:mrgreen:

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:55 pm

It all about opinions, views and statistics really isn't it?
No one knows for sure how it will impact in the long run do we?

But for some reason, some people are certain we made the wrong decision

No one has ever left the union before, so who knows what will happen. Will the union miss our £13 billion a year, or will people mind paying more for their new Mercedes?

However, one thing is for sure, unfortunately there will be no economic benefit for both sides

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:And you know my views on brexit. It was the only reason I have ever voted Tory because Cameron said he was giving us the vote. And I STILL think we made the correct decision despite all the shite we get from bremainers :roll: and I would vote the same again tomorrow so chew on that :mrgreen:

Well I hope you're not personally affected by the shitstorm that will arrive on our shores.

I've canvassed opinion from various foreigners since the vote, both in Europe and further afield and the one constant is that they consider us to be idiots for voting out of the EU.

Chew on that!

I'll take being called an idiot all day long

It's far better than what we have been called by the rest of europe for a long time now

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:37 am

Really? What have Europe been calling us then? Or is that just paranoia?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:43 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
chunkster wrote:I voted to fudge up the future of this country once, and I'd do it again, so chew on that :mrgreen:

:wink:

:lol: where is the finger emoji :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Chew on that!

No i am not a bit affected, only in the fact that i feel happier :D and i just wish they would get on with it so that we can

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Chew on that!

I wonder what those same foreigners will be saying in 20 years time when they're living in The United States Of Europe and economic, financial & political decisions are being made for the benefit of France & Germany?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:03 pm

They will be laughing at us - an irrelevant and powerless island off their coast.

And we will be regretting the day that the word Brexit was ever used.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:06 pm

chunkster wrote:

Chew on that!

No i am not a bit affected, only in the fact that i feel happier :D and i just wish they would get on with it so that we can

Not affected yet. But you will be. Let's see how happy you are when the shitstorm comes knocking at your door.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 pm

So you'd be happy living in USofE having other "states" deciding policy for their benefit?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:15 pm

I don't believe that the EU will be around in its current guise in 20 years, it will have collapsed through its own bureaucracy.
With the loss of the UK contribution, it will have to either increase member contributions, or scale back on what it spends, can anyone see either of those events happening?

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 pm

chunkster wrote:

Chew on that!

Not affected yet. But you will be. Let's see how happy you are when the shitstorm comes knocking at your door.

I won't be here, we are moving to Tenerife when something has been sorted for Europeans in the uk, because Spain will have the same rights for us :lol: :lol:

Only joking :mrgreen: i don't believe all the scaremongering about the shite storm, it's all dreamed up by the lefty equivelent of the daily express :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Spain and Portugal ...

I've had the good fortune to go travelling in these countries in recent weeks and months.
Brexit has been discussed with various denizens and I can report some recurrent themes:

People can't understand why we voted out, and all thought it a strange decision and mistake.
The general opinion is *shrug* Europe will trundle on regardless, there wasn't the appetite to break out and go it alone.
People expressed the opinion that Europe was better together and welcome the opportunity to acquire some of the business leaving Britain - especially financial services and other services which Britain had been allotted.
The British are very much liked in Europe in my experience, especially in Scandinavia and Portugal. The French and Germans had critics in some countries.

My faves are Portugal and Turkey.
Great cities are Rome, Barcelona, Budapest, Istanbul, Porto, Paris, Prague and Lisbon.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 am

chunkster wrote:Only joking :mrgreen: i don't believe all the scaremongering about the shite storm, it's all dreamed up by the lefty equivelent of the daily express :mrgreen:

How naive. This isn't a left versus right thing. The country is divided right down the middle.

We are in a bizarre situation where the majority of MPs want to remain but they are terrified to go against "the will of the people" (a very small majority) in case they lose their seat at the next election.

The shitstorm is predicted by experts both in the UK and abroad (see my link on the "Rudderless" thread) and most Brexiteers do not believe the consequences because they are not experts.

Like I said - we'll see.

I know who I believe and we are beginning to see the first signs already.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 am

tinned wrote:

Chew on that!

I wonder what those same foreigners will be saying in 20 years time when they're living in The United States Of Europe and economic, financial & political decisions are being made for the benefit of France & Germany?

Ah - another myth peddled by the Daily Express.

You should try chatting to people in Europe about this. I had an interesting chat with a Dutch guy in Amsterdam about Theresa May and Brexit and he was just laughing at the farce that is happening over here. To him, it is like a sensationalised fiction plot for a satirical novel - a joke!

And he's right.

When you see people OUTSIDE Europe shaking their heads in disbelief at why we are leaving Europe ,you catch a glimpse of what the rest of the world think about what we have done.

Still, old chap - stiff upper lip, eh? We can cope with any shitstorm can't we? We're British!

We're the laughing stock of the world at the moment (well apart from Donald J Trump being President of the US of course :D).

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:05 am

tinned wrote:

Chew on that!

You mean those decisions Britain currently has a veto against? Oh dear.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 am

tinned wrote:

Chew on that!

Ah - another myth peddled by the Daily Express.

You should try chatting to people in Europe about this. I had an interesting chat with a Dutch guy in Amsterdam about Theresa May and Brexit and he was just laughing at the farce that is happening over here. To him, it is like a sensationalised fiction plot for a satirical novel - a joke!

And he's right.

When you see people OUTSIDE Europe shaking their heads in disbelief at why we are leaving Europe ,you catch a glimpse of what the rest of the world think about what we have done.

Still, old chap - stiff upper lip, eh? We can cope with any shitstorm can't we? We're British!

We're the laughing stock of the world at the moment (well apart from Donald J Trump being President of the US of course :D).
No they are shaking their heads because they can't believe that the gravy train is pulling in at HADENOUGH station :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:00 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Spain and Portugal ...

I've had the good fortune to go travelling in these countries in recent weeks and months.
Brexit has been discussed with various denizens and I can report some recurrent themes:

People can't understand why we voted out, and all thought it a strange decision and mistake.
The general opinion is *shrug* Europe will trundle on regardless, there wasn't the appetite to break out and go it alone.
People expressed the opinion that Europe was better together and welcome the opportunity to acquire some of the business leaving Britain - especially financial services and other services which Britain had been allotted.
The British are very much liked in Europe in my experience, especially in Scandinavia and Portugal. The French and Germans had critics in some countries.

Great cities are Rome, Barcelona, Budapest, Istanbul, Porto, Paris, Prague and Lisbon.
Been to Turkey can't say i am a fan, stopped off in Hungary on my way to purchase some land in Bulgaria, the people in both contries were superb and very hospitable. never fancied Portugal, but as i am retiring at the spritely age of 57 next year, Rome is on my list with Australia,New Zealand, Thailand and Singapore :)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 am

chunkster wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece, Spain and Portugal ...

Been to Turkey can't say i am a fan, stopped off in Hungary on my way to purchase some land in Bulgaria, the people in both contries were superb and very hospitable. never fancied Portugal, but as i am retiring at the spritely age of 57 next year, Rome is on my list with Australia,New Zealand, Thailand and Singapore :)

I think some of the hard-core tourist resorts in Turkey can be a bit cack, rude younger staff and bland local towns. Don't know if you went here or any of the other parts, but some of the other places are truly epic and the people great.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am

What happened to Sound_Out?

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 am

Turkey tends to get a bad press, but in reality is a beautiful country. I have been to many of the resorts, and fortunately have visited what is the "real" Turkey.
There are places like Kalkan, where there seems to be more expats than Turks, and Izmir, a busy, sometimes suffocating madness of a city.
My favourite place however is a town on the Med coast called Kas, we stumbled on this whilst trying to find the birthplace of St Nicholas, we never found it, just got emersed in the tranquility and friendship of the people and place.
Another thing, one of the best driving experiences I have ever had, along the coast road from Kalkan to Kas, didn't see another car for miles, and lots of uninhabited beaches.

Wonderful, just wonderful

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League