Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Quite a strange thing to find in a Shrewsbury charity shop

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Quite a strange thing to find in a Shrewsbury charity shop

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:47 pm

...a WFC mug from 1988. It's got the fixtures on it for the 88/9 season. Which means I can relive that wondrous season with my morning cuppa. Fortunately , I lived away at the time, so missed some of the worst of it. Still got to see the 1-5 Boxing day defeat to Oxford ( Coakley's last game.), and the 5-0 at Vicarage Road the Tuesday after Hillsborough-very strange atmosphere that night.

Awful season, but even then I don't think many of us realised just what trouble we were in.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Re: Quite a strange thing to find in a Shrewsbury charity sh

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:22 pm

The only thing positive I remember that season is the Sunderland away game after 15 (?) straight defeats. The famous Roker Roar was replaced with silent disbelief on the home terrace. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Super Gabor wrote:The only thing positive I remember that season is the Sunderland away game after 15 (?) straight defeats. The famous Roker Roar was replaced with silent disbelief on the home terrace. :D

We also crushed the Bloose 5-0. Weird season.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:35 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:The only thing positive I remember that season is the Sunderland away game after 15 (?) straight defeats. The famous Roker Roar was replaced with silent disbelief on the home terrace. :D

We also crushed the Bloose 5-0. Weird season.

Forgot that one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HScApNtMPs

longdogs
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:... the 5-0 at Vicarage Road the Tuesday after Hillsborough-very strange atmosphere that night.

Very strange atmosphere indeed, I remember the game was played in virtual silence.

I think I only missed 2 games that season.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Dean Smith's first game for Walsall wasn't it?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

aaaae wrote:

I thought he was much later ... well after the Rimmer stage, the Wayne Clarke epoc (or as I prefer to call him 'Wanckler') and more like the Methven era.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm

That was a strange season...................inasmuch as , during the first twelve games we only lost once.

Although I distinctly remember....................in one of 'em Palace absolutely battered us 0-0 :D.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:49 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

I thought he was much later ... well after the Rimmer stage, the Wayne Clarke epoc (or as I prefer to call him 'Wanckler') and more like the Methven era.

In your stupid face!!! :lol:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/f ... day-245066

To be fair, I can't usually remember what I did yesterday, so where I dredged that one up from I don't know. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 am

aaaae wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

To be fair, I can't usually remember what I did yesterday, so where I dredged that one up from I don't know. :mrgreen:

It feels like a weighty broadside of fact has punched me in the groin of presumption. OoooF!

:D

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:00 am

:lol:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:31 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

It feels like a weighty broadside of fact has punched me in the groin of presumption. OoooF!

:D

Some people on here would say you'd enjoy that :wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:09 pm

I was at the Chelsea game when we lost 7~0 if I remember right I think that was where the love affair with Freddy Barber ended?

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Kevlar wrote:

That was a strange season...................inasmuch as , during the first twelve games we only lost once.

Although I distinctly remember....................in one of 'em Palace absolutely battered us 0-0 :D.

That's still the best team I've ever seen us face.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 pm

A 1988 mug :shock: . Should be worth a fortune: exactly 100 years since the formation of WFC :D . Auction it. Worth at least £1500 :mrgreen:

Return to General Chat & Prediction League