Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England/Wales

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SWS11
UTS Regular

England/Wales

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Watched Wales play tonight with passion and commitment. And, above all, attacking with speed, verve and enthusiasm whenever the opportunity arose, not knocking the ball around in midfield and strolling about as if it's their right to win. OK, so it was a very even game and could have gone either way: exciting it is, Mun. As I live in Wales, they are kind of my "second" international team: love to see them doing well and, when I watch them, they entertain me. I get right bored watching England stroll about, all superior and nonchalant, making and missing chances when they come their way. Three goals in the last 5 minutes against a knackered team who would probably give Walsall a decent game is pathetic. I want some excitement and entertainment. Six or seven goals to an England team who clearly demonstrated a desire to win and entertain would do me - or am I asking too much? After all, England usually stroll to qualification in tournaments, THEN cock it up. What's the answer? I'd love to see them busting a gut rather than strolling to wins against weak opposition. What do you think?

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: England/Wales

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:59 am

I think you need to ask the managing company behind the premier league.

One of the primary reasons they gave for stealing all the TV money off clubs like us was that it would improve the England team.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Exile wrote:I think you need to ask the managing company behind the premier league.

One of the primary reasons they gave for stealing all the TV money off clubs like us was that it would improve the England team.

Spot on.

The Premier League has killed the England team.

The Premier League will end up killing itself though. The people will get their game back. And we can "go again". Some time away unfortunately.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:41 pm

PT wrote:
Exile wrote:I think you need to ask the managing company behind the premier league.

Spot on.

The Premier League will end up killing itself though. The people will get their game back. And we can "go again". Some time away unfortunately.

Totally agree, the last transfer window has shown the madness that the Premier League has evolved to. Even more clubs spending more money than they can sustain, it is a model that will ultimately burn itself out, unless the clubs go the next step to an international league, in which case, the so called big guns go there own way ,and we are left with "our" league.

This then will become ours again

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:44 pm

PT wrote:

Spot on.

If ever Sheffield Saddler gets wind of this post ....... :D

PT
Site Addict

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 pm

tinned wrote:
PT wrote:

Spot on.

If ever Sheffield Saddler gets wind of this post ....... :D

You mean someone from Cannock who lives in Sheffield and supports Chelsea? Chelsea - a team who's 25 man squad has three English players. Just about sums up the whole bleedin charade.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

The Welsh play for pride in their country the English play for pride of their bank balance , an England cap means more sponsership deals nothing else.
Since Sky and the Premiership it all about money.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:05 pm

What is it about England that they need 23 attempts and 10 on target to get a measly 2 goals? That's a goal about every 12 attempts :evil: We even had 10 on target: a goal for every 5 on target. Having said that, today was a much, much better performance than against Malta: in fact, for the spectacle, the early Slovak goal was probably a blessing since England had to come out and make a real game of it. Slovakia knocked the ball about nicely and even had most possession but they rarely looked like scoring, hardly ever getting into the England final third. They only had 5 attempts on goal all match, with only 2 on target and scored one! That's a goal for every two and a half attempts and one goal for every 2 on target. If England could manage that ratio, we'd have won 5 or 10 - 1. It was exciting, 'though, mainly because I was ponying myself that Slovakia would get another lucky goal in a breakaway, but I can do without such excitement, thanks. A lot of the misses were due to wrong decisions about whether to shoot or play in a colleague - that and terribly wayward finishing were the main culprits. Still, a win is a win and we're certain of a place in Russia, one would think. That's if Kim Wrong-Un doesn't get us all blown up before then :mrgreen:
Congrats to Northern Ireland, of course; for a country with their meagre resources they have done a BRILLIANT job. :D

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:51 am

SWS11 wrote:What is it about England that they need 23 attempts and 10 on target to get a measly 2 goals? That's a goal about every 12 attempts :evil: We even had 10 on target: a goal for every 5 on target. Having said that, today was a much, much better performance than against Malta: in fact, for the spectacle, the early Slovak goal was probably a blessing since England had to come out and make a real game of it. Slovakia knocked the ball about nicely and even had most possession but they rarely looked like scoring, hardly ever getting into the England final third. They only had 5 attempts on goal all match, with only 2 on target and scored one! That's a goal for every two and a half attempts and one goal for every 2 on target. If England could manage that ratio, we'd have won 5 or 10 - 1. It was exciting, 'though, mainly because I was ponying myself that Slovakia would get another lucky goal in a breakaway, but I can do without such excitement, thanks. A lot of the misses were due to wrong decisions about whether to shoot or play in a colleague - that and terribly wayward finishing were the main culprits. Still, a win is a win and we're certain of a place in Russia, one would think. That's if Kim Wrong-Un doesn't get us all blown up before then :mrgreen:
Congrats to Northern Ireland, of course; for a country with their meagre resources they have done a BRILLIANT job. :D

We are just so predictable to play against , almost every game we line up with one up front and flood the midfield and the opposition just match up against us man for man... that there is the reason for so many scrappy goals.

When you've got the likes of Rashford and Kane we should be lining up with 2 up top especially against lesser nations.

I think Southgate is still trying to replicate Spain of 5 years ago. He needs to go.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

Mazza01 - check your PM's

Return to General Chat & Prediction League