Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Whatever happened to Bank Holiday games?

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Wragbyred
Glitterati

Whatever happened to Bank Holiday games?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:05 am

Sitting at home at the minute trying to ruster the energy to mow the lawns, was thinking wouldn't it be a great day to go and watch a match. Weathers nice, few beers, outstanding victory in some seaside resort, but the only football is non league?
When did this change?

It casts my mind back to one of our seasons in the second tier, Randy Camel had given us victory at the Golden Graveyard and we played out a draw with Norwich on the Monday, a game that we dominated and Eyolfson missed 3 sitters.

Suppose I could go watch Boston v Nuneaton

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Whatever happened to Bank Holiday games?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:48 am

Two words - international break - not to mention that we mustn't overwork the precious little snowflakes of the Premier League (they are the only ones who matter, after all).

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 am

Go and watch a non league game, some great footie out there to enjoy

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am

Went to Tamworth v Stockport yesterday. It was a great day out in the sun.

I enjoyed it overall but £12 in was a bit steep and the football at that level is a bit weird. They're not untalented players but theres no real plan - just all charge at the ball.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 pm

I went to watch my nephews lad play in a tournament at the stick and wicket in Aldridge, then watched some of my former heros play against Walsall Phoenix. But the highlight of my day was standing there next to "sir Ray Grayson" as he asked my nephew to play for his legends side as some of the legends had not turned up, Jimmy walker and Darren wrack to name a couple, and he played about 60 mins more than holding his own. It was just surreal watching him playing balls to Martin O'Connor, James chambers and Charlie ntamack while I was able to sneak into the hospitality tent to have a chat and a pint with my old mate kenny mower :lol: what a day :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:38 pm

I went to see Kettering play St Neots in the southern league premier. 6 quid to see a very good first half. The Poppies were leading 3-0 at half time. the 2nd half was a bit of a disappointment St neots tightened up at the back and the game petered out. Good crowd of 727 and great to watch with a pint in my hand!
they did sell out of most of the beer so had to settle for a pint of San Miguel (at £4-50 a pint :shock: )

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:46 pm

The FA are missing a bit of a trick here (again!)

Next Saturday we have the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.
They'll say that it's the international break and there'll be loads of extra fans attending.
However, the conveniently forget every club in the lower leagues (again!)

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:51 am

chunkster wrote:I went to watch my nephews lad play in a tournament at the stick and wicket in Aldridge, then watched some of my former heros play against Walsall Phoenix. But the highlight of my day was standing there next to "sir Ray Grayson" as he asked my nephew to play for his legends side as some of the legends had not turned up, Jimmy walker and Darren wrack to name a couple, and he played about 60 mins more than holding his own. It was just surreal watching him playing balls to Martin O'Connor, James chambers and Charlie ntamack while I was able to sneak into the hospitality tent to have a chat and a pint with my old mate kenny mower :lol: what a day :wink:
that sounds awesome mate :)

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 am

killers left foot wrote:
chunkster wrote:I went to watch my nephews lad play in a tournament at the stick and wicket in Aldridge, then watched some of my former heros play against Walsall Phoenix. But the highlight of my day was standing there next to "sir Ray Grayson" as he asked my nephew to play for his legends side as some of the legends had not turned up, Jimmy walker and Darren wrack to name a couple, and he played about 60 mins more than holding his own. It was just surreal watching him playing balls to Martin O'Connor, James chambers and Charlie ntamack while I was able to sneak into the hospitality tent to have a chat and a pint with my old mate kenny mower :lol: what a day :wink:
that sounds awesome mate :)
unbelievable killer :wink:

Return to General Chat & Prediction League