Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Pink ball cricket

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Pink ball cricket

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't think they've considered the tv viewers.
I'm finding it impossible to follow the flight against the colour of the batting strip, when delivered from the sunny end.
Perhaps better when pace is off.

Edit: Better now that the sun is broadside.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Re: Pink ball cricket

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:I don't think they've considered the tv viewers.
I'm finding it impossible to follow the flight against the colour of the batting strip, when delivered from the sunny end.
Perhaps better when pace is off.

Edit: Better now that the sun is broadside.

Try making a little white sight screen, and put it behind the telly.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Dumb idea in this country - Edgbaston would have been basically sold out for the first three days anyway.

The pink ball (combined with crap oposition) aint making for thrilling viewing

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am

boringteacher wrote:Dumb idea in this country - Edgbaston would have been basically sold out for the first three days anyway.

Commercially, I don't think it's necessary in this country. But I suspect we'll get one day/nighter a year to keep in preparation for the ones they'll play abroad. If that first day is anything to go by, they'd have got a more competitive match against any 2nd division county. What the hell was going on with the new ball?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:35 am

boringteacher wrote:Dumb idea in this country - Edgbaston would have been basically sold out for the first three days anyway.

I , along with others ,suffered many years watching us getting battered by Holding , Richards , Garner and company. But I'm struggling to keep interested in this.

With the Windies and South Africa sending over less than full strength teams , and poor attendances in India , confirms to me that test cricket is dying on its feet.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:54 am

Another five day match(after last time I'm reluctant to call it a test) and , guess what, England's top order has failed, Stoneman and Westley out cheaply. On paper, this looks like a successful summer , but long-term batting problems are no nearer a solution. Root's insistence at batting at four looks a bit silly when he's nearly always at the crease before most number three's are.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Seriously looking like the Windies are going to do it, will be one of the most surprising results in sport if they do it after the Birmingham fiasco.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Tea, 35 overs, WI need 120, England 7 wickets. New ball will be vital, this one's done very little. WI could choke yet, but even if they don't, I wouldn't blame Root for his declaration.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Tea, 35 overs, WI need 120, England 7 wickets. New ball will be vital, this one's done very little. WI could choke yet, but even if they don't, I wouldn't blame Root for his declaration.

I would. It wasn't enough. Said so when it happened. 'That's not enough!' I said.

UTS Legend

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Exile wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Tea, 35 overs, WI need 120, England 7 wickets. New ball will be vital, this one's done very little. WI could choke yet, but even if they don't, I wouldn't blame Root for his declaration.

I would. It wasn't enough. Said so when it happened. 'That's not enough!' I said.

That's exactly what I said. :) :(

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Guest wrote:
Exile wrote:

That's exactly what I said. :) :(

I said the same. :shock:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Windies revert to type,123 all out. It wasn't easy to be fair. Stokes I think was the best I've seen him, pace and vicious late swing. He overshadowed Jimmy, now 499 not out.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 pm

England reverting to type as well? Currently 1 for 1 after 2 overs...... :roll:

And it goes on ..... now 25 for 4 :(

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Even first day. Just about to watch the highlights having unreasonably been expected to stand in front of some teenage delinquents for the day.

Looking at the weather tomorrow, I'd be surprised to see much play tomorrow, After that, its supposed to improve - if so, England can have no excuses (or expectations down under) if they can't get a win from this game.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Cook gets a lot of short stuff in the Ashes warm-ups. If Aus can put him out with a broken finger, England might as well start bargaining and see if they can get to start each innings at 30/3!

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:47 am

I can't see the pink ball either, mainly because I don't watch that boring rubbish.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:47 pm

That's what I like to see - a last-wicket stand of 30+, with a couple of sixes thrown in :D :D :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:21 pm

And Jimmy flattens middle stump for number 500-that's what I like to see. Brilliant player.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 am

Looks like you're getting your trip to Cardiff next summer, Welsh. Warwicks struggling to avoid innings defeat against Essex at the moment. Although you could be unlucky with the match at Colwyn Bay!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Looks like you're getting your trip to Cardiff next summer, Welsh. Warwicks struggling to avoid innings defeat against Essex at the moment. Although you could be unlucky with the match at Colwyn Bay!

Just watch Warwicks get relegated and Glamorgan get promoted ...... :roll:

The way this season has gone for him, I can't see Bell even being a squad member next year.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Looks like you're getting your trip to Cardiff next summer, Welsh. Warwicks struggling to avoid innings defeat against Essex at the moment. Although you could be unlucky with the match at Colwyn Bay!

The way this season has gone for him, I can't see Bell even being a squad member next year.

Yes the 8th defeat is coming up, apart from a narrow 1 wicket defeat to Middlesex all the rest have been right hammerings :(

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Over The Moon wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Yes the 8th defeat is coming up, apart from a narrow 1 wicket defeat to Middlesex all the rest have been right hammerings :(

You ever considered talking about football?

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 pm

tinned wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

You ever considered talking about football?

Ok Whitney out :wink:

Return to General Chat & Prediction League