Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Anyone else a stay at home.

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Anyone else a stay at home.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Looking through the posts there are many of our fans who live and work many miles away in far flung countries, spread around the UK while boring old me has lived and worked in an area ofa few square miles even now I am retired.

My parents lived in Green lane leamore when I was born moved to beechdale when it was first built then as the family grew moved back to leamore about 500 yards from where I started.On getting married we went to live by reedswood park so never lived more than a couple of miles from any of the houses.
To add to that I worked all my life in the same place in bloxwich road birchills.

posters like Saigon, Exile and others have moved thousands of miles while I am like the ancient briton who never moved from his village.I cannot believe there is anyone else whois as bad asme.
i

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Anyone else a stay at home.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Apart from my student days, I have lived in Blakenall, Goscote, Leamore and Walsall town centre - real high class, me! :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I was born in bloxwich maternaty hospital but grew up in clayhanger. We moved to the pelsall rd when I was 12, when I left school I started work for Walsall council and have been there fire 40 years. As a family we moved to pear tree lane brownhills West, and from there me and my wife moved to Hednesford road Brownhills west, and have been there since 1985. But I must admit I am getting itchy feet in my mid 50's and I am looking for a nice piece of land to build my own property somewhere rural. And if that doesn't come to fruition then I am looking to move to either Spain or Tenerife

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:55 pm

I've never lived in Walsall, or anywhere near!!! My Grandma lived in the Pleck, and she it was who introduced me to the Saddlers back in 1955.

I've lived in Olton, Hightown (Merseyside), Manchester (Rusholme), Manchester (Levenshulme), Bickley (6 months), Radcliffe, Stockport (Offerton), Stockport (Heaton Moor), Stockport (Heaton Chapel x 2), Ynysybwl, and now Cymmer Afan.

16 years in Cymmer Afan now - perhaps I've settled....... :mrgreen:

saddla
Site Addict

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I've never lived in Walsall, or anywhere near!!! My Grandma lived in the Pleck, and she it was who introduced me to the Saddlers back in 1955.

I've lived in Olton, Hightown (Merseyside), Manchester (Rusholme), Manchester (Levenshulme), Bickley (6 months), Radcliffe, Stockport (Offerton), Stockport (Heaton Moor), Stockport (Heaton Chapel x 2), Ynysybwl, and now Cymmer Afan.

what crime did you commit to get 6 months?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 pm

saddla wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:I've never lived in Walsall, or anywhere near!!! My Grandma lived in the Pleck, and she it was who introduced me to the Saddlers back in 1955.

what crime did you commit to get 6 months?

(Spoiler - boring!) I was working for a bank, and their rates of pay were so low that they couldn't attract staff to work in London. So to keep the Chief Cashier's department going they used to draft lads in from all over the UK for a 6-month stint. All we were doing was unpacking parcels of mucky money in the mornings, and packing up parcels of crisp new money in the afternoons - this was in the days before Securicor and the like, and all this cash was moved around the country by rail .... hence "The Great Train Robbery".

In fact the bank I worked for (National Provincial) was the biggest loser from that heist, so when the first load of cash was recovered it was brought to our little hideaway in Bishopsgate - happy days!!

The good bit was that the bank paid for my transport home alternate weekends, but we took no notice of that and just claimed the cash but stayed in the hotel in Kent, and nobody cared. I played for the bank's 6th XI football team every Saturday throughout that winter (they did run 12 teams at that time).

I was young, single, and without a worry in the world...... :mrgreen:

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 pm

Like Chunkster I was hatched in Bloxwich Maternity Hospital.
Lived in Blakenall till I was 9 then moved away due to my dad rejoining the RAF.
Finally moved back to Walsall (Blakenall again) in 93.
Lasted 3 years then joined the RAF myself.
Moved back in 2001 (just after our day out in Cardiff) and stayed till 2003.
Had short periods of living back in Walsall since but I am now happily settled in sunny Norfolk 8)

shady53

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:42 am

Born and bred in Palfrey in the early 50`s, then later, 2 years after the house we lived in was condemned unfit for human habitation, we moved upmarket to Caldmore :mrgreen:

As a adult with my lovely wife Sharon we started in the Paddock flats (Preston house}, moved to Tong st in the Chuckery and then a complete change to

Willenhall where we lived in 4 different houses over 17 years then decided to go back to civilisation :lol:

After 3 more houses and 1 bungalow in Walsall we have 4 weeks ago moved into what i hope is our last port of call in the green and sunny Riviera Pelsall.

Never strayed too far but have moved around a lot, met a lot of folk (some good, some not so), and contributed a fortune to gov`t coffers through stamp duty.

Obviously we enjoy change and has never been boring, but now the knees are creaking and grinding this is our last stop . . . . . . . . . i think :roll:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

Also born in Palfrey in the 1960's and stayed there until I was 19 when I left for University in Liverpool for three years.

After that I moved to Manchester for a year before moving to Altrincham where I lived for about 12 years. Now back in Manchester and will almost certainly stay here now.

Had vague plans to move to Europe but Brexit has scuppered that! :evil:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Where did you live in Rusholme? I lived as a student in Eva St off Claremont Rd a few minutes walk to Maine Rd ground, ( also in Cheetham Hill & Old Trafford as a student 1970-73).

Like you I have never lived in Walsall. Born in Handsworth & became a Saddler because my grandad played a few games in the early 1920s. He was a baggies season ticket holder and used to take me to the Hawthorns as a child, but from about the age of 11 I was smitten by Walsall. Used to go by myself when I was about 13 or 14 on the train from Hamstead as we had gone up in the world & moved to Handsworth Wood.
Moved to near Leicester aged 15 in 1967, Derby 1970 & Hull since 1973 ( definitely never expected to spend 44 plus years here either!)

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm

hullsaddler wrote:

Where did you live in Rusholme? I lived as a student in Eva St off Claremont Rd a few minutes walk to Maine Rd ground, ( also in Cheetham Hill & Old Trafford as a student 1970-73).

Like you I have never lived in Walsall. Born in Handsworth & became a Saddler because my grandad played a few games in the early 1920s. He was a baggies season ticket holder and used to take me to the Hawthorns as a child, but from about the age of 11 I was smitten by Walsall. Used to go by myself when I was about 13 or 14 on the train from Hamstead as we had gone up in the world & moved to Handsworth Wood.
Moved to near Leicester aged 15 in 1967, Derby 1970 & Hull since 1973 ( definitely never expected to spend 44 plus years here either!)

139 Dickenson Road, the residence of a Mrs. Goodfellow. Her husband had started the Goodfellow School of Motoring some years before, but sinc e his death she had used the house (3 storey terraced) to take in lodgers 2 or 3 to a room, many of whom were young lads working for the National Provincial Bank. In those days the bank tended to appoint junior staff to far-flung places, leaving them to find their own "digs". I was transferred from London Road Liverpool branch to Manchester Spring Gardens, and on arrival there a couple of the other lads said "You'd better come back to Mrs. G's with us".

She was well into late middle age by then, and had a raw Mancunian way about her. Well I remember the strident tones emanating from the kitchen as we tried to separate meat from gristle ... "Don't worry about the meat. It's not the meat that's tough, it's the knives that aren't sharp".

Riiiiiggghhhtt............. :mrgreen:

buttssadler

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 pm

born in west brom adopted in 61 moved to the top end of wolverhamton road next to the pub I forget the name right now then moved to beechdale the new house had inside loo were has the old 1 did not by the way brother is a dingal fan have not talked to him in 16 odd years :!: . I saw Walsall when roger hyhind was playing so I been though the good and bad times

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Also born in Palfrey in the 1960's and stayed there until I was 19 when I left for University in Liverpool for three years.

After that I moved to Manchester for a year before moving to Altrincham where I lived for about 12 years. Now back in Manchester and will almost certainly stay here now.

Had vague plans to move to Europe but Brexit has scuppered that! :evil:
Any info on good eateries or pubs in manchester? last time we went everywhere that sold food shut at about 9.30 :| even chinatown. we ended up at the only chinese that was open, but it only catered for chinese, and they looked at me gone out when i asked for curry sauce :lol: . Thinking of trying the gasworks but we are staying on salford Quays :)

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:48 pm

buttssadler wrote:born in west brom adopted in 61 moved to the top end of wolverhamton road next to the pub I forget the name right now then moved to beechdale the new house had inside loo were has the old 1 did not by the way brother is a dingal fan have not talked to him in 16 odd years :!: . I saw Walsall when roger hyhind was playing so I been though the good and bad times
Wolverhampton rd Walsall? the parkbrook or orange tree?

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:50 pm

swampysaddler wrote:Like Chunkster I was hatched in Bloxwich Maternity Hospital.
Lived in Blakenall till I was 9 then moved away due to my dad rejoining the RAF.
Had short periods of living back in Walsall since but I am now happily settled in sunny Norfolk 8)
RAF? bloody hell you have got to have an IQ of about 140 to get in there :wink:

buttssadler

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 pm

parkbrook the house right next door

buttssadler

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:24 pm

live in the butts now not to bad nice and quiet

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 pm

buttssadler wrote:parkbrook the house right next door
Ye i work round that area, gets a good review on Tripadvisor :wink: and our offices are 100 hatherton street

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:39 am

Never lived in Walsall, or indeed the borough, but have always been in the area. Moved earlier this year, from Wednesfield, to the somewhat more idyllic outskirts of Stourbridge.

Cornwall is the retirement goal, although I'm not ruling out Fife. Like Manchester above, Europe was on the radar, but that seems unlikely now- always fancied settling in Austria.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am

chunkster wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:Like Chunkster I was hatched in Bloxwich Maternity Hospital.
RAF? bloody hell you have got to have an IQ of about 140 to get in there :wink:

Guessed the questions on the test 8)

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Born at home in Shelfield, Pelsall. Moved to Walsall in 1966 when I was three. Left Walsall when I was 19 and lived in Cumbria for a couple of years (college) and returned home for a year before moving to Kent. Then onto Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire and Northamptonshire. Now settled in Shropshire. I think I will probably stay here now. Mrs DS has Canadian citizenship and I have been out there and its great but wouldn't fancy emigrating there.

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone else a stay at home? Most people.

I recall reading a statistic about the British. It was something like 90% of us die within 7 miles of where we were born.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

yoda wrote:Anyone else a stay at home? Most people.

I recall reading a statistic about the British. It was something like 90% of us die within 7 miles of where we were born.

Not sure whether this is of any help.

Some 90 per cent of men seem to have lived and died in the place where they were born compared to half of women

The fossilised teeth of early human ancestors who lived two million years ago in southern Africa have provided a remarkable insight into their social organisation, which appears to have resulted in the females moving away from their childhood homes when they reached adulthood.

Virtually nothing is known about how these ape-like people lived but analysis of their teeth suggests males lived and died where they were born while females moved from their birthplace to raise families many miles away, where they then died

Whether there is any link between Walsall today & Africa 2 million years ago is not mentioned!

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Like a number of folks I was born in Bloxwich Maternity home, lived in Palfrey until 6 and then moved to Streetly. Was kidnapped and taken to Barnsley to live and lived in Worsbrough Village, Tankersley and Stairfoot before moving to Sherburn-in Elmet.

Then returning to Barnsley lived in Darfield, Baurgh Green, Wilthorpe and then to Cawthorne before returning to Baurgh Green.

Another move this time to France to a little village Beaulieu in the Central Massif in France, not far from Clermont Ferrand.

Then the elastic pulled me back to Barnsley back to Worsbrough Village and now Wombwell.

Not much of a stay at home more of a wondering minstrel

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:22 am

Born in westbromwich Rd, moved to yew tree aged 11. Then 2 years in Somerset just outside Yeovil. 2 years in Portsmouth (loved it) followed by 5 years in the back of beyond north east coast of scotland. Moved back to walsall then 5 weeks ago crossed to the the dark side of west bromwich

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 am

I'm an odd ball compared to family. Apart from a brother in Hemel Hempstead the rest of the gang are all Walsall - born, bred and dead.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Walsall, Liverpool 3, Newcastle 1, Nottingham 3, Grantham 2, Bangkok 1, Taiwan 1, Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) 4, Walsall 5, Bangkok 5 and beyond.

Not that much really but I do take every advantage to travel when I get it, up to 52 countries visited now and more planned.

Also return to Walsall regularly though, usually to watch the team.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 pm

I live on the Yew Tree, around 50 yards north of the house I was born in.

50 yards in 55 years - at this rate I should hit Walsall town centre in the year 4767, September 15th at 11:48am.
If you're in town then, you can get me a pint of mild in.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 am

Steadily heading North like a Christmas Island Crab migration.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Complete and utter nomad.

Born Wolves, lived Wolves, educated Wolves (Fordhouses Grammar Tech). Then parents became Pub landlords with M & B's. They moved you every two years, we kept loads of pubs, including The Stone Cross at Wednesbury, The Old Still Wolves town centre (10 minutes from the custard bowl) and eventually the Rose & Crown at Birchills, now that WAS class! :?
Then left the pub business and lived in Palfrey & Yew Tree Estate (Walsall side of course!).
Life after that became an array of different addresses throughout the country, met the wife in Bolton at work, moved to Yorkshire to run our 3 seperate very successful Bolt & Nut companies until the recession of 1993.
Stayed in Yorkshire until retirement in 2014 and moved back to the wife's area of birth, Leigh. Where we remain content.
Though I have still been known to moan sometimes when our beloved team or management cock up (again) :lol: :lol:

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League