Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

women's euro finals 2017

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
chunkster
Site Addict

women's euro finals 2017

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Any one watching? we have a fantastic team and have beaten the scot's 6-0 in our opener tonight, with jodi taylor getting a hatrick :D

PT
Site Addict

Re: women's euro finals 2017

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 am

I watched it and we did look good. Scotland were pretty poor though. Missing some of their best players.

Hopefully, as we progress, more folk will get behind it. Good it is on terrestrial telly to give it as big an opportunity to take off as possible. Can't for the life of me understand why the brilliant women's cricket World Cup is stuck on Sky.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 am

PT wrote:I watched it and we did look good. Scotland were pretty poor though. Missing some of their best players.

Hopefully, as we progress, more folk will get behind it. Good it is on terrestrial telly to give it as big an opportunity to take off as possible. Can't for the life of me understand why the brilliant women's cricket World Cup is stuck on Sky.

I think all the Women's Cricket World Cup matches are free to view on the Sky website.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 am

chunkster wrote:Any one watching? we have a fantastic team and have beaten the scot's 6-0 in our opener tonight, with jodi taylor getting a hatrick :D

Sign her up big improvement on our " strikers ", watched the game some good football.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:18 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:
chunkster wrote:Any one watching? we have a fantastic team and have beaten the scot's 6-0 in our opener tonight, with jodi taylor getting a hatrick :D

Sign her up big improvement on our " strikers ", watched the game some good football.

I wonder if we stuck a moustache on her we would get away with it :mrgreen:

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 am

Our next match kicks off at 7.45 on Sunday against Spain :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I hope the walsall players are watching the women's england team tonight because THAT is how to win ugly :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 am

chunkster wrote:I hope the walsall players are watching the women's england team tonight because THAT is how to win ugly :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:I hope the walsall players are watching the women's england team tonight because THAT is how to win ugly :lol:

:lol: chunk loves sloth :lol:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am

Ive seen 2 of their games now,and to be honest,its like watching paint dry.Its like watching 2 non league teams on a bad day,thats why the stadiums are virtually empty and there's hardly any atmosphere.The womens game will never be financially viable because they will never have the physicality of the mens game and they can't even make up for their lack of physicality with skill.The main problem for women's football is that its so easy to compare it to the mens game,and it just does not compare on any level.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am

sid swifty wrote:Ive seen 2 of their games now,and to be honest,its like watching paint dry.Its like watching 2 non league teams on a bad day,thats why the stadiums are virtually empty and there's hardly any atmosphere.The womens game will never be financially viable because they will never have the physicality of the mens game and they can't even make up for their lack of physicality with skill.The main problem for women's football is that its so easy to compare it to the mens game,and it just does not compare on any level.

Interesting generalisation.

Meanwhile - back in the 21st Century ...

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Ive seen 2 of their games now,and to be honest,its like watching paint dry.Its like watching 2 non league teams on a bad day,thats why the stadiums are virtually empty and there's hardly any atmosphere.The womens game will never be financially viable because they will never have the physicality of the mens game and they can't even make up for their lack of physicality with skill.The main problem for women's football is that its so easy to compare it to the mens game,and it just does not compare on any level.

Interesting generalisation.

Meanwhile - back in the 21st Century ...

How can you call it a generalisation? its a specific comment on 2 womens football games that ive watched and been totally bored by.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:08 am

sid swifty wrote:Ive seen 2 of their games now,and to be honest,its like watching paint dry.Its like watching 2 non league teams on a bad day,thats why the stadiums are virtually empty and there's hardly any atmosphere.

You realise the above is exactly what fans of our local rivals say about watching Walsall.
sid swifty wrote:The womens game will never be financially viable because they will never have the physicality of the mens game and they can't even make up for their lack of physicality with skill. The main problem for women's football is that its so easy to compare it to the mens game,and it just does not compare on any level.

Ironically the biggest difference for me is that the women "man up". While the men are rolling around on the floor pretending their leg is broken if an opponent brushes against them, the women just get on with it.

I went to see the women play in a friendly match at Wembley not so long ago and they sold more tickets than had been sold for the previous men's friendly. In fact they restricted sales to 55,000 and could have sold many more and I'm sure it was because the FA were embarrassed by the demand.

You need to switch off your prejudice. It's like saying that Jessica Ennis was rubbish in the Olympics. Not worth watching. Yeah she won gold but she ran much slower, jumped lower and threw shorter than the men in the decathlon and did 3 events less.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm

aaaae wrote:
sid swifty wrote:Ive seen 2 of their games now,and to be honest,its like watching paint dry.Its like watching 2 non league teams on a bad day,thats why the stadiums are virtually empty and there's hardly any atmosphere.

You realise the above is exactly what fans of our local rivals say about watching Walsall.
sid swifty wrote:The womens game will never be financially viable because they will never have the physicality of the mens game and they can't even make up for their lack of physicality with skill. The main problem for women's football is that its so easy to compare it to the mens game,and it just does not compare on any level.

Ironically the biggest difference for me is that the women "man up". While the men are rolling around on the floor pretending their leg is broken if an opponent brushes against them, the women just get on with it.

I went to see the women play in a friendly match at Wembley not so long ago and they sold more tickets than had been sold for the previous men's friendly. In fact they restricted sales to 55,000 and could have sold many more and I'm sure it was because the FA were embarrassed by the demand.

You need to switch off your prejudice. It's like saying that Jessica Ennis was rubbish in the Olympics. Not worth watching. Yeah she won gold but she ran much slower, jumped lower and threw shorter than the men in the decathlon and did 3 events less.

It is what it is,Women playing other women at football,its no good making excuses for them,its just not entertaining when you compare it to mens football,and inevitably it will be compared to mens football.no matter how much they train or get fit their style of football will always reflect their lack of physicality,which to me makes it boring to watch.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:29 pm

sid swifty wrote:It is what it is,Women playing other women at football,its no good making excuses for them,its just not entertaining when you compare it to mens football,and inevitably it will be compared to mens football.no matter how much they train or get fit their style of football will always reflect their lack of physicality,which to me makes it boring to watch.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Put your argument another way, do you think it is worth watching Walsall? -

It is what it is, Walsall playing other League 1 teams at football, its no good making excuses for them, its just not entertaining when you compare it to the Premier League, and inevitably it will be compared to the Premier League.no matter how much they train or get fit their style of football will always reflect their lack of physicality, which to me makes it boring to watch.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:29 pm

aaaae wrote:
sid swifty wrote:It is what it is,Women playing other women at football,its no good making excuses for them,its just not entertaining when you compare it to mens football,and inevitably it will be compared to mens football.no matter how much they train or get fit their style of football will always reflect their lack of physicality,which to me makes it boring to watch.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Put your argument another way, do you think it is worth watching Walsall? -

It is what it is, Walsall playing other League 1 teams at football, its no good making excuses for them, its just not entertaining when you compare it to the Premier League, and inevitably it will be compared to the Premier League.no matter how much they train or get fit their style of football will always reflect their lack of physicality, which to me makes it boring to watch.

Couldn't agree more,that's why I haven't been to Bescot stadium for 3 yrs.I must say though if I had to choose between going back to Bescot or paying good money to watch a women's football game I'd choose Bescot every time.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Well boring or not, they have a better attitude than the men and are doing rather better :wink:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 am

chunkster wrote:Well boring or not, they have a better attitude than the men and are doing rather better :wink:

Well if that's really true about them having a better attitude chunkster,count me in,where is the nearest Women's football team?I'm gonna get myself a season ticket.... :D .

P.S do they swap shirts at the end of every game.... :twisted:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 pm

Do the rules still apply regarding effing and blinding the opposition :D :D :D :D ?

"She's fat , she's round , her **** am on the ground"

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:39 pm

sid swifty wrote:
chunkster wrote:Well boring or not, they have a better attitude than the men and are doing rather better :wink:

Well if that's really true about them having a better attitude chunkster,count me in,where is the nearest Women's football team?I'm gonna get myself a season ticket.... :D .

P.S do they swap shirts at the end of every game.... :twisted:
I think that if they did swap shirts at the end,and walsall had a women's team, then there would be about 300 fans at the game, and when they opened the gates 10 mins before the end there would be 5,000 :lol:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Kevlar wrote:Do the rules still apply regarding effing and blinding the opposition :D :D :D :D ?

Could you imagine singing something like that at a women's football match, they would be off in floods of tears :lol:

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:07 pm

chunkster wrote:
Kevlar wrote:Do the rules still apply regarding effing and blinding the opposition :D :D :D :D ?

Could you imagine singing something like that at a women's football match, they would be off in floods of tears :lol:

I think not.
I have been involved with coaching girls & womens football for over 10 years now.
I think the banter & language in the womens game is really no holds barred & is on a par with what you hear in the men's game .

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:13 pm

What's going on with the goalkeepers tho!

:oops:

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:21 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:What's going on with the goalkeepers tho!

:oops:

No worse than joe hart :lol:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm enjoying it.

Our ladies are doing great. It obviously matters to them too. And I think it matters to them because of the sporting glory, for themselves, for their mates, their families and their country and NOT because it will turn them from multi-millionaires into multi-multi millionaires. I hope the game and its English protagonists get the recognition they deserve but also hope it stays the same. It seems a purer version of the game than thant which I've become used to.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:33 pm

PT wrote:I'm enjoying it.

Our ladies are doing great. It obviously matters to them too. And I think it matters to them because of the sporting glory, for themselves, for their mates, their families and their country and NOT because it will turn them from multi-millionaires into multi-multi millionaires. I hope the game and its English protagonists get the recognition they deserve but also hope it stays the same. It seems a purer version of the game than thant which I've become used to.
Totally agree PT, Sally Nugent hit the nail on the head this morning when she said " have you noticed there is something missing from the game? it's the bit where they are fouled and they roll over about 5-6 times" :wink:

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 pm

chunkster wrote:
PT wrote:I'm enjoying it.

Totally agree PT, Sally Nugent hit the nail on the head this morning when she said " have you noticed there is something missing from the game? it's the bit where they are fouled and they roll over about 5-6 times" :wink:

I am enjoying watching as Chunkster said a more honest form of the game, no diving, no rolling over in agony then jumping up.I have yet to see the ref surrounded by players or a deliberate attempt to get opposition player booked.

chunkster
Site Addict

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Get the beers on the chill ready to Cheer our girls on tonight against the Dutch, we beat them in a friendly not so long ago, so should have a psychological advantage "Come on England" :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Is the semi on to anywhere?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Exile wrote:Is the semi on to anywhere?

Channel 4.

Next