Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Why doesn't Tony Blair go **** himself?

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Why doesn't Tony Blair go **** himself?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I'd be happy with a Eurovision recount.

Portugal, seriously?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I'd be happy with a Eurovision recount.

Portugal, seriously?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I'd be happy with a Eurovision recount.

Portugal, seriously?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:56 pm

The bottom line, though, Swampy, is that the young who DID vote, voted Remain mainly and it is these people who will suffer the consequences if/when it proves to be the disaster I think it will be. They feel let down by the older generation.

Something else to consider - most youngsters aren't politically motivated until they realise that their choices may affect their lives. You will find that most youngsters who didn't vote, mainly because they didn't understand, will live to regret their apathy.

The recent general election result shows that when the young move - as they should - things happen. That's why I think if we had a referendum now, based on what we have seen from the Tory government, from the obvious lies that were told, and the sense of the consequences - as predicted a year ago - then the result may be different.

As for Tiim Farron - who cares? The Lib Dems are onto a loser anyway and he wasn't the one who got us in this mess in the first place. There is no way they would have been elected or in any position to have a say - so his walking away is irrelevant. Cameron got us into this mess and tossed it over the fence for somebody else to pick up the pieces. , having promised to "see us through". The man is a joke.

And how well is it going now? Still no plan! Still no idea! Belligerence and threats when diplomacy is required. The push for a Hard Brexit when the referendum gave nobody the choice between a Hard and Soft Brexit. No deal better than a bad deal? No deal IS a bad deal.

Several political careers are being shot down - or will be - and politicians are scared. Hence the reason why Theresa May is asking all parties for ideas having gotten in to bed with a loony party offering a billion pound bribe of our money to buy votes. If this were a work of fiction it would be dismissed as unbelievable.

I would be interested in an opinion poll on the subject at the moment. Wouldn't you?

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:
saddla wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:One vote per person ,one day to vote,who ever or how many turn out it is part of the system .Its democracy,job done.these are the rules we live by ,please all of you remainers once and for all accept this.No replays, No penalty shoot outs ,Its done and dusted.Move on and support Brexit whether you agree or not.

If that was the case, when we voted for membership in 1975, that should have been it. After all you can't go back on what over 67% of the voters voted for. It was a much bigger majority for remain than for leaving this time.

My memory is not so good these days but I don't think we ever had a vote to join the E U, I stand to be corrected as I am on way to being senile but I do remember that I voted to join the Common Market for trade not everything else that comes with it now.

It seems we weren't allowed a vote when we joined.But there was a referendum to decide whether we stayed in later.Just like the one we had last year but with a different result.

We did vote to join the common market. But it evolved - as things do.

We didn't vote to join the common market we were taken into it and then allowed a vote on whether to stay in.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm

It seems we weren't allowed a vote when we joined.But there was a referendum to decide whether we stayed in later.Just like the one we had last year but with a different result.[/quote]

We did vote to join the common market. But it evolved - as things do.[/quote]

We didn't vote to join the common market we were taken into it and then allowed a vote on whether to stay in.[/quote]

I did say my memory was not great but either way we voted for a common market for trade not a political union with other countries.
IN answer to other points yes things do evolve but it is a big jump from trading goods to allowing other countries to have the right to over rule laws and acts made by our parliament.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:04 pm

But we have already decided against political union and currency.

I would like to have had the option to work or live in the EU. I feel I have lost something.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

[quote="Manchester Saddler"]But we have already decided against political union and currency.

I would like to have had the option to work or live in the EU. I feel I have lost something.[/quote]

I can understand your point, being a remainer, but I feel we have our independence back, once all is done and dusted, and we are not being ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels i.e overruling our own courts, funding their mistakes with us being one of the highest gravy trains for the EU, control over immigration the list is endless.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:But we have already decided against political union and currency.

I would like to have had the option to work or live in the EU. I feel I have lost something.

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Europe for 11 years which set me up for life. There is no way that I could have done what I have in the UK. My biggest regret is that mt grandchildren won't have the same opportunity.

I found that having a Birmingham/Black country accent is a massive barrier to getting ahead outside of the midlands in the UK. In France and Germany they don't even know you have an accent at all.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm

saddla wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:But we have already decided against political union and currency.

I was fortunate enough to have worked in Europe for 11 years which set me up for life. There is no way that I could have done what I have in the UK. My biggest regret is that mt grandchildren won't have the same opportunity.

I found that having a Birmingham/Black country accent is a massive barrier to getting ahead outside of the midlands in the UK. In France and Germany they don't even know you have an accent at all.

I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases. My Black Country accent took a while to dissipate. I was in Liverpool for 3 years then Manchester ever since. Now people up here think I am "posh" because my accent has been neutralised by a bit of Scouse and a lot of "Manchistoh!"

Cockneys just think I a Northerner though.

And Mancs only notice the Black Country twang when I'm angry or pissed (or when I start ranting about Brexit),

:D

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

saddla wrote:

I don't think that's necessarily true in all cases. My Black Country accent took a while to dissipate. I was in Liverpool for 3 years then Manchester ever since. Now people up here think I am "posh" because my accent has been neutralised by a bit of Scouse and a lot of "Manchistoh!"

And Mancs only notice the Black Country twang when I'm angry or pissed (or when I start ranting about Brexit),

i left Willenhall about 35 years ago to seek my fortune and I've never lost my twang :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 pm

swampysaddler wrote:

I would like to have had the option to work or live in the EU. I feel I have lost something.[/quote]

I can understand your point, being a remainer, but I feel we have our independence back, once all is done and dusted, and we are not being ruled by bureaucrats in Brussels i.e overruling our own courts, funding their mistakes with us being one of the highest gravy trains for the EU, control over immigration the list is endless.

it's a shame the Referendum thread disappeared, mate (ruined by Sound Out no doubt) because I did some research on this and think that the "independence" thing was a flawed argument. From what I recall, it was all about bendy bananas and weirdly shaped vegetables (like the ones that used to appear on That's Life).

The biggest lie from the anti-EU brigade was that we give £350 million to the EU every week with speculation about where it would go if we were to leave the EU. The truth is that we gave £350 million to the EU and got a huge amount back in rebates to fund improvements to the UK as a whole. Worse, the biggest lie was that the fabled "£350 million" would go straight to the NHS - a promise that suckered in a massive load of gullible voters.

We will lose all EU subsidies now, the fabled "£350 million" will definitely NOT go the NHS, and with immigration being clamped down, we will have far fewer nurses, doctors and medical staff.

The 48% would welcome the reciprocal exchange of Brits for EU citizens.

One thing that amazed me was an interview with a Brit (and old geezer - see my previous post about the age of Brexiteers :D ) who lived in the south of Spain. He was asked why he lived there. He pointed at the sun and said "DUH! Isn't it obvious?" He was then asked whether he had voted "Leave" or "Remain". His reply stunned me.

"I voted Leave" he said. "There are too many foreigners in England!"

"But you live in Spain," said the reporter. "Aren't you a foreigner here?"

"No," he said - and his face was straight. "I am British! Therefore I am an ex-pat!"

The poor fool didn't realise that, perhaps, he would now have jeopardised his new home in the sun. He is a foreigner in the EU and as an old geezer who has retired is contributing next to nothing to the Spanish economy! Therefore he will probably have to move back to Blighty when he realises that his healthcare, etc. is now sailing down cack creek without a paddle.

I hope you don't plan to retire to Southern Europe, mate, cos after Brexit, it won't happen unless you are a massive celebrity. And if that's what you plan to do then the hypocrisy is so tangible you could buy it a pint, take it out for a meal and brush it's teeth with your union jack toothbrush!

Sadly, now, the same applies to me - minus the hypocrisy of course. :(

P.S. I think the ballot paper should have had an application to remain an EU citizen if you voted Remain in the event of the vote going the wrong way. I am tempted to write to EU parliament to ask for that right to be kept for those of us who support the EU.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 pm

saddla wrote:
saddla wrote:

i left Willenhall about 35 years ago to seek my fortune and I've never lost my twang :lol:

When you spend three years with Scousers, dive headlong into the Kingdom of Mancunia for 30 years, surround yourself with mates and work colleagues from Lancashire, Yorkshire and even more Scousers something has to give.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

saddla wrote:
saddla wrote:

When you spend three years with Scousers, dive headlong into the Kingdom of Mancunia for 30 years, surround yourself with mates and work colleagues from Lancashire, Yorkshire and even more Scousers something has to give.

I ay even gorrun accent no more.

Although some Dutch people I met yesterday larfed and larfed when I spoke. :|

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am

Manc, Saigon. Have you listened to a recording of your voice recently? You might be like me. I've lived around the country and am still surprised when I hear how strong my accent is. It's mellowed into a generic Brummie, whereas I think I speak like Nigel Havers.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:55 am

I read somewhere that after a certain age its impossible to lose the accent you acquired in your youth. Hence why Arnold Schwarznegger has an Austrian accent despite living the vast majority of his life in America.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 am

yoda wrote:I read somewhere that after a certain age its impossible to lose the accent you acquired in your youth. Hence why Arnold Schwarznegger has an Austrian accent despite living the vast majority of his life in America.

The Austrian/ Hungarian writer Arthur Koestler spoke at least five languages fluently. He wrote as clear prose as the English language has seen.But he was always embarrassed by his accent when he heard it.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Manc, Saigon. Have you listened to a recording of your voice recently? You might be like me. I've lived around the country and am still surprised when I hear how strong my accent is. It's mellowed into a generic Brummie, whereas I think I speak like Nigel Havers.

Well I gave a training course in China two years ago and they insisted on recording me. I watched a bit of it back and grimaced because my delivery style was terrible. However, my voice sounded "neutral" with a northern twang and a hint of Brummie - nothing like you would remember.

I was working in London with a proper cockney who simply said I sounded "northern" - but bizarrely with a touch of Scouse.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:08 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Manc, Saigon. Have you listened to a recording of your voice recently? You might be like me. I've lived around the country and am still surprised when I hear how strong my accent is. It's mellowed into a generic Brummie, whereas I think I speak like Nigel Havers.

Well I gave a training course in China two years ago and they insisted on recording me. I watched a bit of it back and grimaced because my delivery style was terrible. However, my voice sounded "neutral" with a northern twang and a hint of Brummie - nothing like you would remember.

I was working in London with a proper cockney who simply said I sounded "northern" - but bizarrely with a touch of Scouse.

The difference might be because Shrewsbury doesn't seem to have a single accent. There appear to be at least three. There's part-
yokel, part-Welsh and part-West Mids.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:26 pm

I have the accent of a complete arse.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I have the accent of a complete arse.

I rather guessed that :mrgreen:

Morty
Glitterati

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:And if you do some research on the subject, something I suggest you do, I think you will find that the Jeremy Kyle brigade are mainly Brexiteers and did vote. They are also generally a lot older and more politically motivated with a high level of distrust of immigration and globalisation. I have had "discussions" with older family members who want life to be like it was in the 1950s and 1960s and find the prospect of having the ability to live and work in the EU as abhorrent as living next door to French people.

I'm not saying all older people are like that but when you look at the figures the majority of older people did vote Brexit. If only younger people (mainly Remainers) had turned out in the numbers they did to bring Theresa May down to earth,

For interest(!), the below is a piece of analysis done by/for the BBC on voting trends in the referendum (this is dated Feb 17 but there might be a more recent version somewhere)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

In summary:-

◾The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census
◾The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave
◾The combination of education, age and ethnicity accounts for the large majority of the variation in votes between different places

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

At last something we can agree on :lol: :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 pm

"Accent" ... or "scent" ??? :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 pm

saddla wrote:

I rather guessed that :mrgreen:

He also has the body of a twenty year-old. Nobody knows where he stored it though...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

"Accent" ... or "scent" ??? :mrgreen:

Probably both! :D

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

Back on subject,perhaps he just can't get round to it. :oops:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:57 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Back on subject,perhaps he just can't get round to it. :oops:

He loves himself so much, I'd have thought he'd have tried it long ago.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Back on subject,perhaps he just can't get round to it. :oops:

He loves himself so much, I'd have thought he'd have tried it long ago.

Well if I was married to Cherie Blair I wouldn't have "tried" it, I would have made sure I could f**k myself rather than f**k that thing.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 am

Is there anything worse than that horrible home counties generic soft cockney accent?

it's creeping north. You hear it in Northampton and its made its way to Devon.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League