Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall town centre

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
WillenhallManiac

Re: Walsall town centre

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Cully wrote:What happened to The Tavern in the Town? For a time it was my last stop before walking to Fellows Park and first port of call after the match.

Indeed and with a brilliant Juke box to boot.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Cully wrote:What happened to The Tavern in the Town? For a time it was my last stop before walking to Fellows Park and first port of call after the match.

I remember being in there when we played Millwall, i was standing towards the back of the pub with my mates when about 10 of them walked in and started singing "THE MILLWALL" well they got "the mill" bit out when we started throwing our glasses at them. but unfortunately mine bounced off the back of my mates head :lol: and it was one of those large glasses with the handle on. he ended up with 6 stitches and to this day still doesn't realize it was me :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm

chunkster wrote:

I remember being in there when we played Millwall, i was standing towards the back of the pub with my mates when about 10 of them walked in and started singing "THE MILLWALL" well they got "the mill" bit out when we started throwing our glasses at them. but unfortunately mine bounced off the back of my mates head :lol: and it was one of those large glasses with the handle on. he ended up with 6 stitches and to this day still doesn't realize it was me :lol:

He might do now........ :mrgreen:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 pm

I remember a many years ago, a friend telling me about when some Lincoln supporters stopped her brother in town and asked him where they could go for a quiet, trouble-free drink. He sent them to the Tavern.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:

He might do now........ :mrgreen:
Na he's not a member on here thankfully :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 am

City centres are still thriving, but Town centres and high streets are dying out.

I think times are moving on, its sad, but its a fact. Supermarkets and retail parks have seen to the end of the high street.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:54 am

latviancheese wrote:City centres are still thriving, but Town centres and high streets are dying out.

I think times are moving on, its sad, but its a fact. Supermarkets and retail parks have seen to the end of the high street.

Mate, you're years behind the times. the town centre needs to be something different. Malls are all the same, everywhere, but a town centre can be a whole lot more than poundland and greggs. Just needs vision, although you'll never get that from Walsall council.

Imagine if they could concentrate the town instead of spread it out over two or three linear miles.

Imagine free parking.

Imagine reducing rates for new businesses you want to attract,

Imagine a food precinct, children's area, family zone, all-weather.

Then remember your council sucks and you'll never have that from the useless cockwombles you elect and pay. I can't believe how dysfunctional Walsall is. How can it be so utterly crap for so long?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 am

Exile wrote:
latviancheese wrote:City centres are still thriving, but Town centres and high streets are dying out.

Mate, you're years behind the times. the town centre needs to be something different. Malls are all the same, everywhere, but a town centre can be a whole lot more than poundland and greggs. Just needs vision, although you'll never get that from Walsall council.

Imagine if they could concentrate the town instead of spread it out over two or three linear miles.

Imagine free parking.

Imagine reducing rates for new businesses you want to attract,

Imagine a food precinct, children's area, family zone, all-weather.

Then remember your council sucks and you'll never have that from the useless cockwombles you elect and pay. I can't believe how dysfunctional Walsall is. How can it be so utterly crap for so long?

Probably still paying off Butler's Passage.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :|

chunkster
Site Addict

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:51 am

The most successful businesses in walsall are Mr sizzle CEX Primark the £1 baguette shop and the stalls that sell any bowl of fruit for a £1that tells a story :|

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 pm

chunkster wrote:The most successful businesses in walsall are Mr sizzle CEX Primark the £1 baguette shop and the stalls that sell any bowl of fruit for a £1that tells a story :|

The Walsollians like computer games, cack clothes and fruity baguettes?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Probably still paying off Butler's Passage.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :|

Butler's Passage was absolutely scandalous , but this might beat it..................."Walsall's central library, on Lichfield Street, will undergo £4 million of restoration and renovation work after council bosses signed off on the scheme."

I assume they're knocking it down and building a new one.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:The most successful businesses in walsall are Mr sizzle CEX Primark the £1 baguette shop and the stalls that sell any bowl of fruit for a £1that tells a story :|

The Walsollians like computer games, cack clothes and fruity baguettes?

Youve hit it on the ead :mrgreen:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 am

So what's it cost to park near the town centre these days?
What if it were free?

sj
Site Addict

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Leigh, where I currently live seems to have got it right, we have a precinct, small town centre with a variety of small independent businesses, a cracking well diverse market, literally tens of great pubs ancient/classic/modern.
Every supermarket that exists (apart from Waitrose of course, it's a poor town). Has a cracking Retail Park with plentiful free parking. The traffic in the town flows quite freely most of the time.
All-told a super success story despite the fact that we have the great city of Manchesterford, just a short drive down the East Lancs dual carriageway, equally easily reached via a fabulous (£4.50 return!) guided busway (along an old railway line), if you don't feel like driving, (or paying an average car parking fee of around £6/£10 per day!)
Also we have the Trafford Centre, one of the biggest Shopping centres in the UK, just a few miles away on the Motorway.
Yet Leigh is always busy, (yes a few charity shops at the far end of the town) but not suffering from the 'town centre blight' that most small towns seem to have.

To be honest when I come back to Walsall I avoid the town centre, I get lost in the new traffic system (well probably 40 year old new!) tend to stick to the area round the ground, Palfrey/Caldmore/Broadway etc, don't feel threatened there.
(I like to hope that my sun tan helps in the former two! :lol: :lol: )

So you've popped across the Pennines have you, AM? I've never been to Leigh itself but I've been to Newton-Le-Willows and Eccles which straddle it. Swamp Saddler used to be in Tyldesley just down the road.

Strange about your "sun tan". When I lived in Caldmore/Palfrey, the threats didn't come from "sun tanned people"; it was from stupid white men.

But each to their own I suppose.

I lived in Caldmore in the 70s, my late wife( Val) when she was young and beautiful was regularly asked how much she cost!! She was free to me at the time. :wink:
Pay the people more money and they will spend it in the shops a boost the town and please bring back free parking, again that would boost the spending in the town.....

SJ

Previous
Return to General Chat & Prediction League