Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Queens Pay Rise

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Wragbyred
Glitterati

Queens Pay Rise

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:33 am

I see Lizzie is due to get a £2.8 million pay rise this year, not a bad pension that!
57% increase since 2012?

Not just Ulster doing well out of the Tories

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Queens Pay Rise

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Royally deserved for the parasite-in-chief. Long she reign over us!
Anyone who doesn't bend the knee in abject support is clearly and heinous traitor etc ...

Don't mention the Nazis, or Edward VIII and all that, Charles the idiot, the rampant cynical racism of El duke or the Queen mother, the imposition of an unelected elite, or the effect on those from 'lower' backgrounds with the wrong accent. Here's to more centuries of irrelevant bollocks ... :x

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:53 am

'We're all in this together.' As long as 'this' is the gravy train, and 'we' means the ruling class and multi-millionaires...

shady53

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:43 am

And there`s me thinking there had been a crack down on social scroungers. :roll:

The money tree seems to be growing quite nicely for some does it not :?: and what is this thing "Austerity" :?:

Only applies to the people who without, there would not be a money tree :x

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:43 am

Get rid.... and that awful national anthem that mentions god

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:01 am

Having spunked all their cash on the queen, and bungs to loonies to preserve a fragile grip on power, it comes as no surprise that the minority Tory government have voted down a pay rise for emergency services. Hooray for the conservatives: supporting wage repression since ever.

yoda
Site Addict

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:57 am

Exile wrote:Having spunked all their cash on the queen, and bungs to loonies to preserve a fragile grip on power, it comes as no surprise that the minority Tory government have voted down a pay rise for emergency services. Hooray for the conservatives: supporting wage repression since ever.

What irked me was the cheering when they won.

If you have your genuine reasons for voting against the removal of the pay cap, that's fine. I'm cool with a difference of opinion. I found the cheer gut-wrenching though considering the direct action they'd taken and how key the emergency services have been in the past few months.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:54 am

I like the Queen and think she herself has done nothing but good for the country. She's still working and it seems is determined to see through her duty until she draws her last breath. I think the economics suggest that she is worth every penny in terms of generating dosh compared to what she costs. The counsel she has been able to give Prime Ministers from 1952 until today is probably worth its political weight in gold too. Those Prime Ministers have been safe in the knowledge that there won't be a "book" at any point and have virtually to a man and woman spoke of how invaluable having a politically agnostic head of state was for them.

But, I do think her passing will mark a good point in time to review the whole thing culminating potentially in a referendum (yes another one!) on a new settlement. It would also be a good time to review the constitutional ties between church and state.

Whilst much of the heraldry and pomp is for show and tourism there is a deeper and more relevant conversation to be had around class, faith, entitlement and citizenship.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:48 am

I tend to think along the same lines as PT myself.
She does bring in a lot of tourism based on what they cost.

Besides she doesn't actually cost the tax payer anything at all.
The Crown Estate is a massive landowner & the civil list takes a percentage of its income.
The balance is then given to the treasury.

I think the rise is from 18 to 20 % or something like that. -

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 am

They could fund themselves if they opened their palaces and retreats to the tourists all year round.
They have refused to do this.So get rid is my opinion.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:01 pm

The Queen is ace :D .

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Tourism is often brought up, but the actual physical effect is reduced to mostly Asian and American tourists leering through Buck House gates for five minutes to try and get a glimpse, and the odd wedding.

The rest of the tourist draw would still be there without the royals being alive. AND all the palaces would be open for all to see - for the appropriate fee of course.

UTS Legend

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 am

addo wrote:Besides she doesn't actually cost the tax payer anything at all.
The Crown Estate is a massive landowner & the civil list takes a percentage of its income.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:They could fund themselves if they opened their palaces and retreats to the tourists all year round.
They have refused to do this. So get rid is my opinion.

They do fund themselves, NSD - though not in the way you prefer.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Guest wrote:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:They could fund themselves if they opened their palaces and retreats to the tourists all year round.

They don't, though not in the alternative world you live in.

The crown estate is administered by the government to ensure they get the cash from it rather than have it squandered by a capricious monarch. The crown, historically, was responsible for the cost of government - large portions of it anyway.

How did they get all that land, by the way?

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:02 am

Exile wrote:

They took it from the vikings/anglo saxons
(Cromwell took it back for the people but Parliament gave it back to the monarchy when he died) :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

Exile wrote:
Guest wrote:

The crown estate is administered by the government to ensure they get the cash from it rather than have it squandered by a capricious monarch. The crown, historically, was responsible for the cost of government - large portions of it anyway.

That is the question - even in my universe.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:The Queen is ace :D .

And I like Charles.
Really, everyone is born into privilege, it's just a matter of degree.
You can be jealous and spend your time complaining and being all cut up about it to the point of obsession or you can improve your own lot.
The choice is yours.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Guest wrote:
Exile wrote:
Guest wrote:

That is the question - even in my universe.

I'll have a word with Doctor - obviously his new medication doesn't suit him.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:34 am

OK If they bring in tourists who makes money out of tourists.Not me or I would guess 98% of the population.But we all pay taxes.Let the Hoteliers and businesses making out of Tourism fund the royals.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 am

I agree with that. I wouldn't harm them or do anything bad - after all they are just "celebrities".

But I would strip them of some of their wealth and distribute it to the needy.

The Crown is worth billions and it is obscene given the poverty in this country.

The Queen is just a human being who happened to be born into a rich family.

If I were in her shoes I would be a true monarch and help "my people" instead of hoarding the cash for herself and her family.

That would be the mark of a truly great monarch.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:But I would strip them of some of their wealth and distribute it to the needy.

There's an old quote which goes something like "feed the man a fish and he'll eat once, teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever".

The needy I know all struggle to manage their money
They all smoke and that costs them in cash and their health.
It would be better if, instead of handouts, the needy were given training in how to handle their taxpayer funded money.
Solid training, with results affecting their payouts, not just turn up and stare blankly at the trainer.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Whitters wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:But I would strip them of some of their wealth and distribute it to the needy.

There's an old quote which goes something like "feed the man a fish and he'll eat once, teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever".

It would be better if, instead of handouts, the needy were given training in how to handle their taxpayer funded money.
Solid training, with results affecting their payouts, not just turn up and stare blankly at the trainer.

You forgot to mention wasting handouts on tattoos, piercings, scratch cards, pot noodles, dogs, cats, takeaways, SKY and 52" TV's, if only everybody was as rich as Jeremy Corbyn they wouldn't feel the need to vote for him.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:30 am

Whitters wrote:

Interesting generalisation.

The "needy" all smoke? Not in my experience. Some "needy" actually try to better themselves but with the cost of tuition fees, they all end up in debt.

Or how about giving the "needy" training full stop? Yes - there are schemes to help but not nearly enough.

Oh - and I'm damned sure "Her Majesty" has never had to worry about "being taught to fish".

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 am

Cully wrote:
Whitters wrote:

You forgot to mention wasting handouts on tattoos, piercings, scratch cards, pot noodles, dogs, cats, takeaways, SKY and 52" TV's, if only everybody was as rich as Jeremy Corbyn they wouldn't feel the need to vote for him.

You clearly don't know many "needy" people. The Daily Express portrayal of Britain is indeed a weird one. Perhaps challenging this vision of Britain might lure you out of your cave.

I'm here to help if you need me.

:D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:28 am

Couple of candidates for 'out of touch' posts of the week from, dare I say, the usual suspects clearly 'in need' of some common sense. :wink:

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:

The "needy" all smoke? Not in my experience. Some "needy" actually try to better themselves but with the cost of tuition fees, they all end up in debt.

Or how about giving the "needy" training full stop? Yes - there are schemes to help but not nearly enough.

Oh - and I'm damned sure "Her Majesty" has never had to worry about "being taught to fish".

Manchester - read what I wrote carefully - I said the "needy I know".

These 4 or 5 folk who are great people but they all smoke and struggle to manage their money.

So it's not a generalisation at all is it?

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:28 am

Whitters wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Manchester - read what I wrote carefully - I said the "needy I know".

These 4 or 5 folk who are great people but they all smoke and struggle to manage their money.

So it's not a generalisation at all is it?

This is a fascinating example of message board and probably modern communication.

1. I make a comment
2. Cully makes what is probably a sarcastic reply
3. Manchester misreads or fails to understand either of the comments
4. Saigon comes in and has a go at both Cully and me due to Manchester's flawed response

Yo ho ho gentleman
It's no wonder the Trumps and their dangerously insane ilk get into power.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am

Cully wrote:
Whitters wrote:

I'm unsure if the Queen still has a tattoo, but it is a well known failing of hers that she still insists on blazing away on 20 B&H a day, and as for her infatuation with those bloody corgi's...well that speaks volumes about her feckless ways.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:33 am

5. Whitters misreads Saigon's playful fun as a brutal and savage attack on himself and his kin unto the Nth generation, prompting him to make extraordinary and absurd connections with global politics.

:wink:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:38 am

:lol:

wibble.

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League