Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Putin Interviews

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Whitters
Site Addict

Putin Interviews

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 am

Anyone watched them?
Any thoughts?

For what it's worth (and I've only watched the first 2 so far) I thought it was A grade entertainment.
Putin is so focussed and intelligent it's astounding.
I could imagine May or Trump coming out of an interview like this looking really bad.
Maybe the Russian power structure model is the way to go - it beats the short term cack we have to put up with.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Putin Interviews

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:55 am

Despotism is fine as long as the despot is benevolent. Putin is not.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 am

So you haven't seen the interviews?
Stone really gets into it and it's interesting to hear Putin's answers and viewpoints and see his expressions.
His view on the Cold War is very interesting and also the facts surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis.
It may change how you think of him.
And the dear old USofA.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 am

Where did you see them? I really want to watch them but every time I see Stone plugging them, he only says they're on American TV channels.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 am

Whitters wrote:So you haven't seen the interviews?
Stone really gets into it and it's interesting to hear Putin's answers and viewpoints and see his expressions.
His view on the Cold War is very interesting and also the facts surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis.
It may change how you think of him.
And the dear old USofA.

For starters, I was thinking more of his total lack of concern for the rag end of society, international borders and gay rights, to be fair, but I'm sure he's persuasive, or he wouldn't be where he is.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Can he speak English? If not then whatever his answers were to the interviewer may not have been what the interpretation was lol they could have dubbed any old clap trap over it to make him sound good :lol: :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Putin's an arse, but assisted by a massive propaganda machine.

Ask any of the Russians who dared to challenge him in any way or form for clarification. Assuming they remain alive of course.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:24 pm

yoda wrote:Where did you see them? I really want to watch them but every time I see Stone plugging them, he only says they're on American TV channels.

Found them here - http://rmz.cr/the-putin-interviews

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:06 pm

Whitters wrote:
yoda wrote:Where did you see them? I really want to watch them but every time I see Stone plugging them, he only says they're on American TV channels.

Found them here - http://rmz.cr/the-putin-interviews

Thank you, found them very interesting.

All else aside, there's no denying he's exactly what other countries leaders are lacking right now; charismatic, decisive, highly intelligent, thinks very long-term, and is very good at covering his own arse.

I was interested enough to order several books on him afterwards, looking forward to a more complete picture as the interviews are very softball questions.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 pm

As an aside, how impressive is he for 63? As someone who plays ice hockey I can appreciate how tough a game it is physically and I'm impressed he plays.

I'm not naive enough to think other players don't go easy on him, but to see a man old enough to be my grandad bombing around the rink at that speed and taking falls like he does really blew me away.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm

yoda wrote:As an aside, how impressive is he for 63? As someone who plays ice hockey I can appreciate how tough a game it is physically and I'm impressed he plays.

I'm not naive enough to think other players don't go easy on him, but to see a man old enough to be my grandad bombing around the rink at that speed and taking falls like he does really blew me away.
Sounds like you are a Putin fan now :mrgreen: don't worry you are in good company. i think there is a man called Trump feels the same :wink:

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm not really someone that falls into being either 'for' or 'against' someone. (Although funnily enough my fellow 'comrade' Trump is the only exception to this rule :lol: I cannot see a single positive contribution he has made). I don't think politics (or life) is like a football game where you pick a side and blindly root for it.

As I said, the interviews were softball questions. However I do think there's no denying that a man 2 years from the UK retirement age being fitter than most of us on this forum is a very commendable achievement.

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:51 pm

I guess Stone had to be careful with his questions as Putin could simply refuse to talk to him further.
I thought he was pretty well grilled over the Ukraine though.

It's interesting how people on here seem to be brainwashed by the media into hating Putin and Russia because when you hear their side of things it makes you think.
The "defense" budgets for instance: the US is 10 times Russia's.
I guess the US budget has so much waste due to the "western way" - the tendering, the entertaining etc.

Putin however could be lying and that's what makes things so intriguing as you can see his eyes and expressions.
And could he lie so convincingly on every topic?
He would have to have serious issues to be able to do that.

I must admit I came out of the interviews with a modified point of view of Russia and the US.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Whitters wrote:I guess Stone had to be careful with his questions as Putin could simply refuse to talk to him further.

It's interesting how people on here seem to be brainwashed by the media into hating Putin and Russia because when you hear their side of things it makes you think.
I guess the US budget has so much waste due to the "western way" - the tendering, the entertaining etc.

Putin however could be lying and that's what makes things so intriguing as you can see his eyes and expressions.

I must admit I came out of the interviews with a modified point of view of Russia and the US.
i have no misconceptions about the US they are meddling bully's and think that they are the be all and end all, and we get dragged in with their holier than though attitude. i also think that Russia have the same attitude. but at least the US have someone to keep them in check :wink:

Whitters
Site Addict

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:35 am

chunkster wrote:
Whitters wrote:I guess Stone had to be careful with his questions as Putin could simply refuse to talk to him further.

i have no misconceptions about the US they are meddling bully's and think that they are the be all and end all, and we get dragged in with their holier than though attitude. i also think that Russia have the same attitude. but at least the US have someone to keep them in check :wink:

Putin did mention a world with one entity in charge.
He didn't like the idea but I think it's got to be the way to go to end all the stress, uncertainty, death, poverty and expense etc
I suppose that country has to be the US but I'm not a big fan of the US.

The US had their chance to take over the world just after the end of World War 2 and didn't take it.
They also had a chance at the fall of communism and didn't take it.
Now the lowish petrol prices for the last few years are designed to cripple Russia but Putin says their economy is in good nick.
NATO keeps building and adding countries closer and closer to Russia but that's a dangerous game.

Anyone who has watched the Snowden film will know that cyber war is going to decide who gets the world.
Putin admitted Russia has had to develop it's own hardware and software as it was buying US stuff to run it's government and there was a danger of sleeper stuff.
So whoever has the best IT department will rule the world?
I always knew that geeks would end up supreme - and watch them, they have no conscience or morals.....

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am

I think that China will have a big say in who rules the world scenario :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:11 pm

chunkster wrote:I think that China will have a big say in who rules the world scenario :wink:

By your own proximity is all logic, which you've freely banded about, you'll have to defer to the opinions of HK, Guest, and er ... me on this one. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:19 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:I think that China will have a big say in who rules the world scenario :wink:

By your own proximity is all logic, which you've freely banded about, you'll have to defer to the opinions of HK, Guest, and er ... me on this one. :wink:

Even I'm closer! :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Exile wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Even I'm closer! :mrgreen:

LOL and CanadianSaddler when he was still in Canada.

:lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Hang on - I'm in Warsaw, so currently the reigning expert on Putin, Russia, and the USSR. Who'd have thunk it! :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:59 am

Putin has all the trappings of a 21st century Tsar, with the added bonus that he is also in the pocket of a few select money men who between them own the vast majority of Russia's strategic infrastructure.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Hang on - I'm in Warsaw, so currently the reigning expert on Putin, Russia, and the USSR. Who'd have thunk it! :D

'I don't believe you can honestly comment on Russia at all until you have spent time on the ground there, and don't mention reading or research either...that doesn't count'

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:09 pm

derbysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Hang on - I'm in Warsaw, so currently the reigning expert on Putin, Russia, and the USSR. Who'd have thunk it! :D

'I don't believe you can honestly comment on Russia at all until you have spent time on the ground there, and don't mention reading or research either...that doesn't count'

If only Warsawpact was still posting, then he could form our collective opinion. :wink:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

He was last seen lurking in the Crimea

Return to General Chat & Prediction League