Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Change the rules?

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Change the rules?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 am

The football lawmakers International Football Association Board (Ifab) are currently considering a raft of proposals to change some of the game's laws, among them are:

Instead of 2 x 45minute halves, have 2 x 30minutes, but the clock stops whenever there is a delay (injury, free kick to allow time for the referee to pace out, substitutions, deliberate time wasting, etc. etc)

If a penalty is saved by the goalkeeper, the game stops and a goal kick is awarded - no follow-up allowed.

A player who uses his hands to score (or stop) a goal is red-carded

The ball has to go out of play for half-time and full-time to be blown (as happens already in international rugby)

The ideas, apparently, have the aim of "improving player behaviour and increasing respect" .... "increasing playing time" ..... and "increasing fairness and attractiveness".

Whaddya reckon? :D

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Re: Change the rules?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Huh.................they ignore the most important problem .

Sort out the offside law .

It takes ten minutes to read it ..................................so how do they expect the lino and ref to decide in a split second whether a player is active , non active , in line of vision , etc etc.

Simplify it ..............or even scrap it.
Last edited by Kevlar on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Kevlar wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Huh.................they ignore the most important proplem .

Sort out the offside law .

It takes ten minutes to read it ..................................so how do they expect the lino and ref to decide in a split second whether a player is active , non active , in line of vision , etc etc.

Simplify it ..............or even scrap it.

Scrap offside

Simeon is that you?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Gimmicks :roll:

Why mess about with something that has worked perfectly well for literally decades?

If you are going to change it, then the only option is to Melt own-goal scorers with a mobile heat ray.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Gimmicks :roll:

Why mess about with something that has worked perfectly well for literally decades?

If you are going to change it, then the only option is to Melt own-goal scorers with a Muslim heat ray.

Here's one I did earlier using a Smith & Wesson Sharia 500.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Cully wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Gimmicks :roll:

If you are going to change it, then the only option is to Melt own-goal scorers with a Muslim heat ray.

Here's one I did earlier using a Smith & Wesson Sharia 500.

Wow! They're actually real!

Whitters
Site Addict

Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:50 pm

I agree about offside but really the main thing to me is to come up with rule changes which would rescue lower division football from it's long slow death.
For instance what changes would double our crowds?
Imagine 8,000 or more at each of our games because the game suddenly got more exciting.
Encourage more excitement by maybe encouraging more goals?
Make goals bigger.
Maybe 10-a-side and not 11.
Maybe force Premier League sides to play their top players in any cup game.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 pm

No draws.All drawn games decided on penalties,Liven the buggers up.Bit of excitement.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm

Whitters wrote:I agree about offside but really the main thing to me is to come up with rule changes which would rescue lower division football from it's long slow death.
For instance what changes would double our crowds?
Imagine 8,000 or more at each of our games because the game suddenly got more exciting.
Encourage more excitement by maybe encouraging more goals?
Make goals bigger.
Maybe 10-a-side and not 11.
Maybe force Premier League sides to play their top players in any cup game.

Why does more goals equal more entertainment? Okay, we've all seen dozens of turgid, "I'd rather scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon than watch that " 0 - o's but there are also many superbly entertaining goal less games. Basketball games have a "goal" about every 5 seconds but I wouldn't thank you to watch that dozens of times a year.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Wasn't it Sepp Blatter (remember him?) who mooted the idea of larger goals in the run up to the World Cup in Brazil? In addition to him advocating shorter shorts (for women's football).

The "stop/start the clock" approach smacks of taking football down the path of American football and ice hockey. No doubt we'll get 10 seconds bursts of music every time the clock stops. No thanks.

The one thing we could perhaps learn from our American cousins is the concept of the "sin bin" - maybe as one step down from a yellow card offence. 10-15 minutes off the pitch .

Three things that need to be stamped out:

1) Play acting / feigning injury
2) Players falling to the ground as soon as the slightest bit of contact is made with an opponent. Some say clever play, others say cheating
3) Goalkeepers not wearing green jerseys :D

PT
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:No draws.All drawn games decided on penalties,Liven the buggers up.Bit of excitement.

Since we went three points for a win I always thought of this as a decent "two point" option. Drawn games go to pens where the winner gets two points and the loser just the one.

I think the 30 minutes each way ball in play rule would be OK. Games would probably last longer than they do now.

Sin bins feel a bit gimmicky to me but there are loads of "orange card" moments in games.

I don't think a rule change by itself would draw back massively bigger crowds. I think that is more about how games are marketed and the range of experiences people are prepared to pay for. Yes - keep the grand a year swifts club and good seats at middle income prices. But a return of the terrace at cheaper prices would also help. Free kids is all well and good but if the experience is boring then it is just a waste of time instead of time and money.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 pm

PT wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:No draws.All drawn games decided on penalties,Liven the buggers up.Bit of excitement.

Since we went three points for a win I always thought of this as a decent "two point" option. Drawn games go to pens where the winner gets two points and the loser just the one.

I think the 30 minutes each way ball in play rule would be OK. Games would probably last longer than they do now.

Sin bins feel a bit gimmicky to me but there are loads of "orange card" moments in games.

I don't think a rule change by itself would draw back massively bigger crowds. I think that is more about how games are marketed and the range of experiences people are prepared to pay for. Yes - keep the grand a year swifts club and good seats at middle income prices. But a return of the terrace at cheaper prices would also help. Free kids is all well and good but if the experience is boring then it is just a waste of time instead of time and money.

Or indeed crud performances from the players on a pitch, what youngsters that attended our last few games, possibly for the first time would EVER set foot on Bezza terraces again!

As an Ex Ref, I think that 'meddling' with the games rules seem like clutching at straws to make the game more entertaining. The recent '2 additional Ref's in the studio' decisions in the current Russian Co Co Cabana Cup (or whatever it's called) have been a bit weird.
I would welcome a limit of foreign players in each team to be a step forward, for the Premiershite at least, would give British players more of a chance to flourish, and help our current plight of embarrassment in International tournaments.

An additional request for clarification for any Ref's out there who are knowledgeable of current rules:.........
I have seen this scenario in numerous occasions and every time a goal has been given.
An attacking player waltzes past all the defenders with just the goalkeeper to beat, but instead of shooting, passes it to a fellow attacker, who has rushed forward at the same time, to tap in to an empty net, surely this player is offside? ie no defender between him and the goalkeeper when the pass is made?
Comments please, it has been some years since I was out there in black. :?

The General
UTS Regular

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 pm

I have been advocating a return to standing for years but the club have shown no enthusiasm for progressing the idea.From Roy Whalleys "what about when we play Leeds again" to Stefan Gamble,s "It would cost money" and it "would not be standing as you remember it"
I have raised it at every fan,s forum but the club do not understand that until we introduce some cutting edge to the match day experience the younger generation will not be won over in sufficient numbers to make a difference.
One of the best recent match days was Burton away when we stood shoulder to shoulder and gave it large.We came away thinking even though the team gave an anaemic display we the supporters had been brilliant.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:

Or indeed crud performances from the players on a pitch, what youngsters that attended our last few games, possibly for the first time would EVER set foot on Bezza terraces again!

As an Ex Ref, I think that 'meddling' with the games rules seem like clutching at straws to make the game more entertaining. The recent '2 additional Ref's in the studio' decisions in the current Russian Co Co Cabana Cup (or whatever it's called) have been a bit weird.
I would welcome a limit of foreign players in each team to be a step forward, for the Premiershite at least, would give British players more of a chance to flourish, and help our current plight of embarrassment in International tournaments.

An additional request for clarification for any Ref's out there who are knowledgeable of current rules:.........
I have seen this scenario in numerous occasions and every time a goal has been given.
An attacking player waltzes past all the defenders with just the goalkeeper to beat, but instead of shooting, passes it to a fellow attacker, who has rushed forward at the same time, to tap in to an empty net, surely this player is offside? ie no defender between him and the goalkeeper when the pass is made?

if the scorer is behind the ball when it is passed to him then he is onside whether there are any opposition players in front of him or not.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 pm

One thing about offside is that it's something that's always a talking point and something sort of mysterious which makes the game more interesting.

I don't know about these "proposed" new rules but if the refs did their jobs properly there wouldn't be a need for most of them

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm

The 30 minute idea would allow for the easy introduction of video referee calls.

I'd like an automatic red card for faking injury/diving. Stamp it out altogether; make it clear that it's unacceptable behaviour.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 am

If a penalty is saved by the goalkeeper, the game stops and a goal kick is awarded - no follow-up allowed.

Why would they want to do that? One extreme to the other in less than two seconds where the keeper doesn't catch it and the follow up goes in...doesnt get much more exciting IMO. Both sets of fans up and down like yo-yos. Mindless to even consider it.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:36 am

saddla wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:

if the scorer is behind the ball when it is passed to him then he is onside whether there are any opposition players in front of him or not.

Thanks Saddla, In my day the offside rule was one of the shortest in the rule book! Can't imagine that is the case now!
However, thinking back to my exam, I can't think that my rather severe examiner would have accepted the above excuse
for being an 'onside' pass! He certainly 'got' me with a scenario of the ball rebounding off the corner flag, after a number of touches from the attacker & defender etc. It's a difficult old job being a Ref! :)

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:16 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:Thanks Saddla, In my day the offside rule was one of the shortest in the rule book! Can't imagine that is the case now!
However, thinking back to my exam, I can't think that my rather severe examiner would have accepted the above excuse
for being an 'onside' pass! He certainly 'got' me with a scenario of the ball rebounding off the corner flag, after a number of touches from the attacker & defender etc. It's a difficult old job being a Ref! :)

here's a job for you AM :D

https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2017/june/job-opportunity/

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:20 am

Lets also get multi refs with flags for infringements

Seriously though... A game with Etheridge in goal would last 7 hours

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 am

Cheesebag wrote:Lets also get multi refs with flags for infringements

Seriously though... A game with Etheridge in goal would last 7 hours

... as Cardiff City's reserves will probably discover :wink:

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:10 pm

I've never liked the shape of the penalty area.I think it should be a radius of 18 yards struck from the centre of the goal line.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm

saddla wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Thanks Saddla, In my day the offside rule was one of the shortest in the rule book! Can't imagine that is the case now!

here's a job for you AM :D

https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2017/june/job-opportunity/

I'm far too old, if I died in there, no one at the Bezza would notice until the smell became unbearable! :lol: :lol:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm

Paulus68 wrote:If a penalty is saved by the goalkeeper, the game stops and a goal kick is awarded - no follow-up allowed.

Why would they want to do that?

Probably because David Elleray is behind all this mumbo jumbo.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Paulus68 wrote:If a penalty is saved by the goalkeeper, the game stops and a goal kick is awarded - no follow-up allowed.

Why would they want to do that? One extreme to the other in less than two seconds where the keeper doesn't catch it and the follow up goes in...doesnt get much more exciting IMO. Both sets of fans up and down like yo-yos. Mindless to even consider it.

I think that it's to stop players encroaching at the taking of the kick. Let's face it - when did you last see a correctly-taken penalty?

PT
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

I think that it's to stop players encroaching at the taking of the kick. Let's face it - when did you last see a correctly-taken penalty?

But that just comes into the category of laws that refs choose to ignore. There are a few; the goalie six second rule, obstruction when it is a full-back impeding an opponent to let it go out for a goal kick, back foot foul throws, getting clattered after getting a shot away and possibly more. If refs took a less arbitrary application of the laws they are paid to uphold then they'd end up getting less stick.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I agree. Let's all watch a FIFA.com soccerball computer barclays off. Bastards.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Red card for diving or play acting.
Yellow card for every player that surrounds the ref after every decision trying to change it.

UTS Legend

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 pm

This 30-minute thing would seem to be just for American TV.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:The football lawmakers International Football Association Board (Ifab) are currently considering a raft of proposals to change some of the game's laws, among them are:

0. Instead of 2 x 45minute halves, have 2 x 30minutes, but the clock stops whenever there is a delay (injury, free kick to allow time for the referee to pace out, substitutions, deliberate time wasting, etc. etc)

1. If a penalty is saved by the goalkeeper, the game stops and a goal kick is awarded - no follow-up allowed.

2. A player who uses his hands to score (or stop) a goal is red-carded

3. The ball has to go out of play for half-time and full-time to be blown (as happens already in international rugby)

The ideas, apparently, have the aim of "improving player behaviour and increasing respect" .... "increasing playing time" ..... and "increasing fairness and attractiveness".

0. Unnecessary if the third official keeps a proper tab on all the non-football time (do they ever?), don't you think? Stopping the clock might encourage longer non-footy periods: not what we want. As someone said, it might just be an excuse to slip ads in :( .
1. Why would we want that? I know: I'd want that when the penno was theirs but not when it's ours :D . Can we arrange that? It would have kept us in the Championship (Div1?) a few years ago when we got beaten by Parlarse: Jimmy saved their penno but they put the rebound in :( . We lost 2 - 1 and then went down by one point (or goal diff - I forget which); we'd have stayed up with one more point, anyway.
2. Not a bad idea - but he has to get caught first. Luis Suarez fisted in a goal in the cup against some poor, lower league team (Lincoln?) that looked as if they were going to at least get a draw from the game. Cheating son of a bachelor :evil: . He even wheeled away kissing his hand and the crap officials missed it completely. Hated him ever since - and before, come to think.
3. Makes little difference, surely. The ball is so easily put out of play in soccer, unlike ruggah.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League