Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

London Fire

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
chunkster
Site Addict

Re: London Fire

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
chunkster wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Hey Swampy (TS) - I had to chuckle at that. I've had a little time off the board (you may have noticed) but if you scroll back through your posts, I think maybe you can answer your own question.

How are you, BTW?
:D

Not too bad mate. Yourself ?
I did notice you had been quiet :D

I'm okay Swampy. I'll bet you're missing Manchester aren't you?
:wink:
you or the place? :lol:

Both! :D
:lol: either way good to see you posting again :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 am

Slight update on topic - so far 34 examples of cladding used on high-rise blocks in 17 different UK locations have been sent to the government testing laboratories ...... and every one has failed fire safety tests. :shock:

I know it's a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but there have obviously been widespread major shortcomings, either in the building regulations themselves or their application. The full and open public enquiry promised will hopefully result in safety standards being upgraded and/or implemented.

Oh, and welcome back, Manchester !! :D

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:22 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Slight update on topic - so far 34 examples of cladding used on high-rise blocks in 17 different UK locations have been sent to the government testing laboratories ...... and every one has failed fire safety tests. :shock:

I know it's a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but there have obviously been widespread major shortcomings, either in the building regulations themselves or their application. The full and open public enquiry promised will hopefully result in safety standards being upgraded and/or implemented.

Good to be back, Welshy.
:D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Slight update on topic - so far 34 examples of cladding used on high-rise blocks in 17 different UK locations have been sent to the government testing laboratories ...... and every one has failed fire safety tests. :shock:

I think it would be impossible to rehouse everyone in the affected tower blocks at such short notice, so the least that they can do is fit sprinkler systems in all blocks, as a short term fix, this will then give them time to replace the cladding.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Later the same day, the figures now read 60 safety test failures from 25 different councils. :evil:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:07 pm

chunkster wrote:

I think it would be impossible to rehouse everyone in the affected tower blocks at such short notice, so the least that they can do is fit sprinkler systems in all blocks, as a short term fix, this will then give them time to replace the cladding.

The sprinkler installation will probably take as long as the replacement cladding.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Here is an opinion that's difficult to disagree with.

https://youtu.be/cft52h89roU

sj
Site Addict

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 am

It is political its all about austerity boys.

SJ

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 am

From what I've read a particular Kensington & Chelsea councillor, who has now resigned, with responsibility for housing was putting pressure on the contractors to come in with as low costs as possible. A 'cutting corners culture' is very worrying.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 am

sj wrote:It is political its all about austerity boys.

SJ

Of course it is, SJ. Lots of people are making excuses and hurling out blame but it is obvious when you think about it.

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:35 pm

SJ

Of course it is, SJ. Lots of people are making excuses and hurling out blame but it is obvious when you think about it.

Amazing conclusion chaps considering the enquiry hasn't even taken place, evidence is still being gathered, proper tests not yet carried out and experts have yet to comment. Some people are very quick to politicalise this tragedy, apparently according to some mouthy scum on tv last week Teresa May is a murderer.

Still. at least the halfwit opportunist and Mum's Net favourite Jeremy Corbyn hasn't been seen taking advantage of peoples misery and loss by making political statements.............err hang on. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Cully wrote:

SJ

Amazing conclusion chaps considering the enquiry hasn't even taken place, evidence is still being gathered, proper tests not yet carried out and experts have yet to comment. Some people are very quick to politicalise this tragedy, apparently according to some mouthy scum on tv last week Teresa May is a murderer.

Still. at least the halfwit opportunist and Mum's Net favourite Jeremy Corbyn hasn't been seen taking advantage of peoples misery and loss by making political statements.............err hang on. :roll:

Jezza quite correctly asked for the public inquiry to be reframed to take into account more input, and for an interim report to be issued sooner rather than later.

If you can't ask questions of political strategies after their abject failure, when can you?

Cully
Site Addict

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:58 pm

Exile wrote:
Cully wrote:

SJ

Jezza quite correctly asked for the public inquiry to be reframed to take into account more input, and for an interim report to be issued sooner rather than later.

If you can't ask questions of political strategies after their abject failure, when can you?

He can and does make many statements and ask questions which are designed to be lapped up by his adoring public, it's a pity he doesn't think about anyone else other than furthering his own bigoted interests. I see you have already made your mind up about the cause in the absence of any factual information.

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

Someone produced a desktop analysis without any tests to back it up which showed that the panels which caught fire were just as fireproof as the ones which were actually fireproof. This caused both types of panel to have the same fireproof rating. The people responsible for the procurement then chose the cheapest one. Which is what they should do based on the fact that both types of panel had the same fireproof rating.

The fault lies with the building regulations allowing fireproofing status to be established by analysis. And on whoever did the analysis.

Way back in the days when I was a student. The lecturer teaching us about mechanical stress analysis said "Mathematical analysis is like masturbation. Great as far as it goes but never forget it's not the real thing"

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Cully wrote:
Exile wrote:
Cully wrote:

SJ

He can and does make many statements and ask questions which are designed to be lapped up by his adoring public, it's a pity he doesn't think about anyone else other than furthering his own bigoted interests. I see you have already made your mind up about the cause in the absence of any factual information.

"His adoring public"
He has come a long way from the luney lefty that would never sniff being PM.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:26 pm

He can and does make many statements and ask questions which are designed to be lapped up by his adoring public, it's a pity he doesn't think about anyone else other than furthering his own bigoted interests. I see you have already made your mind up about the cause in the absence of any factual information.[/quote]

"His adoring public"
He has come a long way from the luney lefty that would never sniff being PM.[/quote]

Exactly leave him alone

We don't want any more scares from mr Umuna thank you

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:28 pm

saddla wrote:Someone produced a desktop analysis without any tests to back it up which showed that the panels which caught fire were just as fireproof as the ones which were actually fireproof. This caused both types of panel to have the same fireproof rating. The people responsible for the procurement then chose the cheapest one. Which is what they should do based on the fact that both types of panel had the same fireproof rating.

The fault lies with the building regulations allowing fireproofing status to be established by analysis. And on whoever did the analysis.

Way back in the days when I was a student. The lecturer teaching us about mechanical stress analysis said "Mathematical analysis is like masturbation. Great as far as it goes but never forget it's not the real thing"

Self-regulation. A political issue!

Previous
Return to General Chat & Prediction League