Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Belbin Test

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Belbin Test

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 am

I've been asked to take one of these at work.
Obviously, I am highly wary of this.

Can anyone shed any light please?
(I don't want the text book answer either)
What I'd like to know is what the company is trying to achieve?
(It certainly won't be for my benefit, don't say otherwise - I know them)
How will it try and abuse the results to impose dictatorial compliance or make redundancies?

Thanks,

yoda
Site Addict

Re: Belbin Test

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am

In my experience the Belbin test is never really applied maliciously (ie to make people redundant) but usually when a manager gets excited about hearing how they can 'improve productivity' or 'achieve greater harmony'.

Also in my experience you can't cheat it so take it honestly. You can try and pick answers to make you a certain 'type' but it as much depends on other peoples results.
Say you pick all the answers you think will give you a 'leader' role but the results show your department has 12 leaders and no executioners then that's not good for anyone.

It's just a tool to show how you fit together as a team. As with any tool its more about who's using it than the exercise itself.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Belbin Test

Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 am

yoda wrote:In my experience the Belbin test is never really applied maliciously (ie to make people redundant) but usually when a manager gets excited about hearing how they can 'improve productivity' or 'achieve greater harmony'.

Also in my experience you can't cheat it so take it honestly. You can try and pick answers to make you a certain 'type' but it as much depends on other peoples results.
Say you pick all the answers you think will give you a 'leader' role but the results show your department has 12 leaders and no executioners then that's not good for anyone.

It's just a tool to show how you fit together as a team. As with any tool its more about who's using it than the exercise itself.

This. Anyone with half a brain knows you can fix the test, so just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Or research the answers you need to get the role you want. The only truth from that test is consistency.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League